++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Feb 12, 2013 at 8:49 PM Post #24,586 of 29,490
Hi guys,

I'm looking to add a pair of headphones to my collection specifically for jazz and vocal music (mostly female voice and generally mellow music). Right now my current setup is a DT990/600 and an O2/ODAC combo. I'd like to keep this is the $250ish range, but absolutely no more than $300. I've heard good things about the q701 and k701/702 for jazz/vocals, and I've also heard the HD600/650 would be good if I can get them at my price used. Would these be good for my needs/budget or should I be looking at a different pair?

Also to help finance this, I'd like to sell my M50s that are a couple months old. They've also been modded to be detachable. How much could I get for it?

Thanks!

Feb 12, 2013 at 9:07 PM Post #24,587 of 29,490
Hello. I am new to Head-Fi and am looking for some recommendations on closed full size headphones which will best suit my needs. I need something which is portable and fairly lightweight with good isolation and little sound leakage, as I spend a considerable amount of time either on public transport or at my high school. I would also like something which is not overly ostentatious looks wise. Sound wise, I would like something which is either fairly neutral or with a slight bass emphasis. Although sound is very important, more important for my needs will be portability, isolation, and subtle looks.  I am looking to spend around $150. Although I understand there has been a bit of a M50 backlash, is it still a killer deal now that prices have stabilized at ~$120, or is there better to be had at the price? 

Feb 12, 2013 at 9:14 PM Post #24,588 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello. I am new to Head-Fi and am looking for some recommendations on closed full size headphones which will best suit my needs. I need something which is portable and fairly lightweight with good isolation and little sound leakage, as I spend a considerable amount of time either on public transport or at my high school. I would also like something which is not overly ostentatious looks wise. Sound wise, I would like something which is either fairly neutral or with a slight bass emphasis. Although sound is very important, more important for my needs will be portability, isolation, and subtle looks.  I am looking to spend around $150. Although I understand there has been a bit of a M50 backlash, is it still a killer deal now that prices have stabilized at ~$120, or is there better to be had at the price? 

My 2 cents: save up $30 more and get a pair of refurbished Amperiors for $175.

Feb 12, 2013 at 9:17 PM Post #24,589 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi guys,

I'm looking to add a pair of headphones to my collection specifically for jazz and vocal music (mostly female voice and generally mellow music). Right now my current setup is a DT990/600 and an O2/ODAC combo. I'd like to keep this is the $250ish range, but absolutely no more than $300. I've heard good things about the q701 and k701/702 for jazz/vocals, and I've also heard the HD600/650 would be good if I can get them at my price used. Would these be good for my needs/budget or should I be looking at a different pair?

Also to help finance this, I'd like to sell my M50s that are a couple months old. They've also been modded to be detachable. How much could I get for it?

Thanks!

You may really enjoy the shure sr940. They are incredible for vocals and jazz because of the beautiful treble they have to offer. You could try and find a used hd600 too.

Feb 12, 2013 at 9:19 PM Post #24,590 of 29,490
Hello everyone, this is my first post on here & I was hoping to get some good advice. I currently use a pair of Klipsch Image s4's with a Fiio E06 amp on my iPod touch. I'm looking to upgrade to a pair of headphones and am interested in the Grado SR225i & Sennheiser HD598. I'm looking for a set of cans that have a natural sound and won't add artificial bass. I listen to a variety of genres (metal, rap, house to name a few) so I'm looking to see which has a more balanced sound.

Also, I see that the audio technica ath-m50 gets recommended a lot should I consider those too?

Feb 12, 2013 at 9:29 PM Post #24,591 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello everyone, this is my first post on here & I was hoping to get some good advice. I currently use a pair of Klipsch Image s4's with a Fiio E06 amp on my iPod touch. I'm looking to upgrade to a pair of headphones and am interested in the Grado SR225i & Sennheiser HD598. I'm looking for a set of cans that have a natural sound and won't add artificial bass. I listen to a variety of genres (metal, rap, house to name a few) so I'm looking to see which has a more balanced sound.

Also, I see that the audio technica ath-m50 gets recommended a lot should I consider those too?

I'd probably lean towards the Senn HD598 but you do realise they're open cans?

Feb 12, 2013 at 9:36 PM Post #24,592 of 29,490
Quote:
You may really enjoy the shure sr940. They are incredible for vocals and jazz because of the beautiful treble they have to offer. You could try and find a used hd600 too.

Thanks for the input. I've been glancing over the marketplace here to see if anything pops up, so I'll keep my eye out for that too. How's the soundstage on the shures though? One thing I really liked (amount many others) coming from my m50s to the 990s was how airy and open things sounded.

Feb 12, 2013 at 9:44 PM Post #24,594 of 29,490
Do I need a offboard sound card to use a AKG K240 Studio ? I know if I had a offboard sound it would be much better. However, i dont have (i use laptop). Can I use this headphone without problems ?

Feb 12, 2013 at 9:59 PM Post #24,595 of 29,490
Quote:

Thanks for the input. I've been glancing over the marketplace here to see if anything pops up, so I'll keep my eye out for that too. How's the soundstage on the shures though? One thing I really liked (amount many others) coming from my m50s to the 990s was how airy and open things sounded.

Soundstage on the Shures is excellent. In terms of sheer detail, I doubt anything can beat the Shure in it's price range. I have a virtually new pair up for sale if you're interested.

Feb 12, 2013 at 10:02 PM Post #24,596 of 29,490
Quote:
Do you have any sealed can recommendations? I'm actually fine with either type

Do they need to be portable? I'd have a look at the Soundmagic HP100's. I owned a pair of them and was very impressed by their detail, tonality, slightly warm almost neutral presentation. They have decent bass punch but only when the song calls for it. These headphones really are an overlooked gem in the headphone world I believe. A great all-rounder.

Feb 12, 2013 at 10:23 PM Post #24,597 of 29,490
Quote:
Don't know what your tab will be in Australia, but cans generally seen to be on the same tier as the DT 880 include the Q701, HD 600 and HD 650.

Almost as good and much easier to drive is the Audio Technica ATH-AD900--and probably the new "X" version.

Yeah the Sennheisers are definitely out of my price range. They're more expensive than the Beyers. I'm looking around for the audio technicas. Any other suggestions?

I am definitely not an analytical listener. I require the headphones to put life into the music. I read the Grados are good at doing that but i'm not sure if they're great for jazz though.

Feb 12, 2013 at 10:24 PM Post #24,598 of 29,490
New member looking for some new hifi cans that I can use at home or work. I liked this format so I borrowed it too.

Where do you live and in what country do you plan to buy?
USA

What is your budget?
$100-$250

Are you ok with open cans (they leak sound)?
Maybe. I plan to use them at work and can not have my music heard by others nearby. Conversely I must be able to hear if someone speaks to me as my position requires that I assist co-workers if they need help.

What equipment will be powering these cans? Will you be using an amp?
Smartphone (Samsung Galaxy Note 2), laptop or iPod Classic

What is the format of your music and other sounds you will putting into these cans?
Mix of lossless and low bit tunes purchased from iTunes and or Google Music

Describe the sound signature that you are seeking?
Balanced sounds about right

If you don't know your preferred sound signature (and even if you do), what genres of music do you plan to run through these cans?
Mostly 80s 90s Hard Rock, along with blues, jazz, metal, old school rap, techno, dub step and even some blue grass for good measure.

Do you plan to use them outside your home? If so, in what way & with what
Smartphone or iPod Classic.

As you can tell, I listen to just about everything and I can go from one genre to another at any time. My main listening would be hard rock or metal but I dont want to sacrifice other genre's just to get the best sound for one specific type.

Back in the days of the first sony discmans, I had a set of sony studio monitor cans but cant remember the model. What I recall from 20 yrs ago is that I could only listen for about 45 mins before fatigue would set in. They sounded ok to my 20 yr old ears with the same genres I still enjoy. I need somethung similar but more refined and comfortable for hours at a time.

I have read many of the reviews here but still cant pick a clear choice. Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated as I am at a loss. Sorry for the long drawn out post.

Feb 12, 2013 at 10:29 PM Post #24,599 of 29,490
Quote:
New member looking for some new hifi cans that I can use at home or work. I liked this format so I borrowed it too.

Where do you live and in what country do you plan to buy?
USA

What is your budget?
$100-$250

I'm not a big full sized user, but the V-Moda M80's seem to meet your requirements and fall in the middle of your budget.

Feb 12, 2013 at 10:32 PM Post #24,600 of 29,490
Sorry to post again in such a short time.

While researching headphones, someone told me that i should pick up the TAD500 which i was told was the AD700 with bass.
Is this a good upgrade from the HTF600?, how's the soundstage?
If it helps any, my budget was raised to around maybe $200.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back