++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Feb 12, 2013 at 11:04 PM Post #24,601 of 29,490
Quote:
These cans are not good for portable use, but seem to meet your needs outside of that issue.  I'd go with the HD 650 based on your preferred sound signature and the uncertainty created by which version of the HE 400 you might get--especially if you don't listen to it  before buying.

Thanks for the reply. I have my W4R for portable use right now. This is for home use off my Alienware laptop. I kinda agree that you can not go wrong with the HD650.

I did not know that there where different HE400, did they have a upgrade during production?

Feb 12, 2013 at 11:28 PM Post #24,602 of 29,490
Quote:
Thank you!

AD700 is bass ligth, ok. But for musics and movies, it is still better than gamers headphones ? 
Quote:
Yes they are good. 

Overall the 700 is probably better for movies and games due to its larger sound stage.  Some will like the 240 better because the 700 is bass light.  Music will probably follow a similar preference pattern.

Can't answer that because I don't use cans made for gaming.

Feb 12, 2013 at 11:35 PM Post #24,603 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
Yes--lots including the up line open AT's, HD 600 and DT 880 (+/- Pro).

Okay,

thanks.

I don't have a disposition to AT phones,
but which would you recommend out of the HD 600 and the DT 880 standard or pro version (i am guessing thats what +/- means).

I under stand it might be a little more expensive than my original aim but i am a realistic thinker.

It comes to which flavor you like.  Read more about those two and more here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-57-headphones-compared-update-hifiman-he-400-added-12-24-12

Feb 12, 2013 at 11:36 PM Post #24,604 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
These cans are not good for portable use, but seem to meet your needs outside of that issue.  I'd go with the HD 650 based on your preferred sound signature and the uncertainty created by which version of the HE 400 you might get--especially if you don't listen to it  before buying.

Thanks for the reply. I have my W4R for portable use right now. This is for home use off my Alienware laptop. I kinda agree that you can not go wrong with the HD650.

I did not know that there where different HE400, did they have a upgrade during production?

They call them revisions and there has been at least one.  See:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-57-headphones-compared-update-hifiman-he-400-added-12-24-12#user_HE400

Feb 12, 2013 at 11:43 PM Post #24,605 of 29,490
Quote:
So it's been asked a few times, but there's always new models coming out and I want to find a pair that fits my needs exactly.

I'm looking for a CLOSED back headphone with an exceptional soundstage. I know open backs have better soundstage, but I use my headphones in the public more often than in the privacy of my home. All I'm really looking for is a pair of headphones that can transport me far away from my current surroundings and I can really clearly imagine where the instruments are, especially in a noisy setting (i.e. a restaurant). So, a nice seal with great soundstage.

I don't have a particular genre I listen to, but I typically don't listen to metal or country.

Price range, I'd say under 1k but I will go as far as 1.5k in order to have the ultimate listening experience.

I think you're asking for something that does not exist.  This is probably the truth on that issue using the example of a $2,000 well regarded closed can & describing its sound stage as "on the fence":

"Aside from the MDR-R10, the TH900's soundstage presentation is probably the most impressive of all the closed-back headphones that I've tried. It possesses a clear sense of space and dimension. However, it does have a closed-in feeling that takes away a little bit from the overall depth."

Link:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-57-headphones-compared-update-hifiman-he-400-added-12-24-12#user_TH900

Feb 12, 2013 at 11:48 PM Post #24,606 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
Don't know your equipment, but the at 44 Ohms and Sensitivity of 105 dB/mW, it would be a very weak sister who could not push it.  The 440 has a relatively balance sound, but is clearly not as well delivered as is the 840.

The Superlux leaks.  Whether it leaks to much is only for you to determine.  It is also less efficient and is marginal unamped by an iPhone.  It is bright, with a spike in the high mids/low treble.  If you are going to toss it into a backpack, it may not last too long.

As far as gear goes I have an old Nakamichi RE-3 speaker amp, a Pansonic Technics SL 1300 direct drive turntable, a macbook pro, and a HTC EVO LTE smartphone. My concern here is that I don't have the coin to specialize, so whatever I get needs to be good all around. I also am new to this (the best headphones I've owned have been a $30 pair of on ear philliips and the Sony MDR-XD300) so I'm not sure what will be able to plug in to my unaltered macbook and smartphone headphone jacks and sound decent.

Are you saying that both the SRH 440 and the Superlux would need a portable amplification to be used as on the go sound? Unfortunately the 840s are out of my price range (I can only really spend $100 on this set up, despite my aspirations). How would the Creative Aurvana Live's stack up to these?

Thank you for your help, it is appreciated.

Go with the CAL!   I don't know your individual equipment.  I have not yet found anything that is decent that won't drive them--or the 440.  As I have said more than once, the Superlux is harder to drive and not all decent low power portable and computer audio will drive them adequately.

Feb 12, 2013 at 11:53 PM Post #24,607 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi guys,

I'm looking to add a pair of headphones to my collection specifically for jazz and vocal music (mostly female voice and generally mellow music). Right now my current setup is a DT990/600 and an O2/ODAC combo. I'd like to keep this is the $250ish range, but absolutely no more than $300. I've heard good things about the q701 and k701/702 for jazz/vocals, and I've also heard the HD600/650 would be good if I can get them at my price used. Would these be good for my needs/budget or should I be looking at a different pair?

Also to help finance this, I'd like to sell my M50s that are a couple months old. They've also been modded to be detachable. How much could I get for it?

Thanks!

I like the Q 701 for jazz/vocals, but some may find them to clinical.  Both the HD 650 and 600 are good, but I'd go with the cheaper & more neutral 600 for jazz/vocal.

Of course any bass heavy cans with recessed mids is not good for jazz and male vocals and iffy at best for female vocals.

Feb 12, 2013 at 11:56 PM Post #24,608 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello. I am new to Head-Fi and am looking for some recommendations on closed full size headphones which will best suit my needs. I need something which is portable and fairly lightweight with good isolation and little sound leakage, as I spend a considerable amount of time either on public transport or at my high school. I would also like something which is not overly ostentatious looks wise. Sound wise, I would like something which is either fairly neutral or with a slight bass emphasis. Although sound is very important, more important for my needs will be portability, isolation, and subtle looks.  I am looking to spend around $150. Although I understand there has been a bit of a M50 backlash, is it still a killer deal now that prices have stabilized at ~$120, or is there better to be had at the price? 

Shure SRH 840.

Feb 12, 2013 at 11:59 PM Post #24,609 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
Hello. I am new to Head-Fi and am looking for some recommendations on closed full size headphones which will best suit my needs. I need something which is portable and fairly lightweight with good isolation and little sound leakage, as I spend a considerable amount of time either on public transport or at my high school. I would also like something which is not overly ostentatious looks wise. Sound wise, I would like something which is either fairly neutral or with a slight bass emphasis. Although sound is very important, more important for my needs will be portability, isolation, and subtle looks.  I am looking to spend around $150. Although I understand there has been a bit of a M50 backlash, is it still a killer deal now that prices have stabilized at ~$120, or is there better to be had at the price? 

My 2 cents: save up $30 more and get a pair of refurbished Amperiors for $175.

I like them too, but they are on ear and not full sized.

Feb 13, 2013 at 12:04 AM Post #24,610 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello everyone, this is my first post on here & I was hoping to get some good advice. I currently use a pair of Klipsch Image s4's with a Fiio E06 amp on my iPod touch. I'm looking to upgrade to a pair of headphones and am interested in the Grado SR225i & Sennheiser HD598. I'm looking for a set of cans that have a natural sound and won't add artificial bass. I listen to a variety of genres (metal, rap, house to name a few) so I'm looking to see which has a more balanced sound.

Also, I see that the audio technica ath-m50 gets recommended a lot should I consider those too?

Stick with the HD 598.  The M-50 has recessed mids.  The 225i can rock your world but in a colored sound of the Grado SR line.

Feb 13, 2013 at 12:11 AM Post #24,611 of 29,490
Quote:
Do I need a offboard sound card to use a AKG K240 Studio ? I know if I had a offboard sound it would be much better. However, i dont have (i use laptop). Can I use this headphone without problems ?

No guarantee one way or the other.  Sometimes they work and sometimes they don't .    Further, some that depends on how loud you want them and what your equipment will push into them.

Feb 13, 2013 at 12:18 AM Post #24,612 of 29,490
Quote:
New member looking for some new hifi cans that I can use at home or work. I liked this format so I borrowed it too.

Where do you live and in what country do you plan to buy?
USA

What is your budget?
$100-$250

Are you ok with open cans (they leak sound)?
Maybe. I plan to use them at work and can not have my music heard by others nearby. Conversely I must be able to hear if someone speaks to me as my position requires that I assist co-workers if they need help.

What equipment will be powering these cans? Will you be using an amp?
Smartphone (Samsung Galaxy Note 2), laptop or iPod Classic

What is the format of your music and other sounds you will putting into these cans?
Mix of lossless and low bit tunes purchased from iTunes and or Google Music

Describe the sound signature that you are seeking?
Balanced sounds about right

If you don't know your preferred sound signature (and even if you do), what genres of music do you plan to run through these cans?
Mostly 80s 90s Hard Rock, along with blues, jazz, metal, old school rap, techno, dub step and even some blue grass for good measure.

Do you plan to use them outside your home? If so, in what way & with what
Smartphone or iPod Classic.

As you can tell, I listen to just about everything and I can go from one genre to another at any time. My main listening would be hard rock or metal but I dont want to sacrifice other genre's just to get the best sound for one specific type.

Back in the days of the first sony discmans, I had a set of sony studio monitor cans but cant remember the model. What I recall from 20 yrs ago is that I could only listen for about 45 mins before fatigue would set in. They sounded ok to my 20 yr old ears with the same genres I still enjoy. I need somethung similar but more refined and comfortable for hours at a time.

I have read many of the reviews here but still cant pick a clear choice. Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated as I am at a loss. Sorry for the long drawn out post.

Neutral and unamped and portable--go with the CAL! if you're not going to stuff them in your back pack.  Go with the KRK KNS 8400 for neutral-ish (less) bass and very good durability.  Sony also makes some good choices, but more of them come with long fixed cords, that make less than optimal for portable use.

Feb 13, 2013 at 12:23 AM Post #24,613 of 29,490
Hello guys! Hope you can help me. I just bought a AKG K44 for home mixings (I know I shouldnt mix on headphones, but I need SOMETHING to mix because I do a lot of VST recordings late at night) but it sounded like crap on my onboard soundcard. Specially the bass sounded completly awful. Also, I'm looking to buy a audio interface, more probably a M-Audio Fast Track II. My questions are: 1) Will the sound quality of K44 improve significantly on Fast Track II? 2) If not, what headphone would be good to use on the fast track? I heard that high impedance headpones would not sound good on it. What would be the impedance limit?

Feb 13, 2013 at 12:25 AM Post #24,614 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello guys! Hope you can help me. I just bought a AKG K44 for home mixings (I know I shouldnt mix on headphones, but I need SOMETHING to mix because I do a lot of VST recordings late at night) but it sounded like crap on my onboard soundcard. Specially the bass sounded completly awful. Also, I'm looking to buy a audio interface, more probably a M-Audio Fast Track II. My questions are: 1) Will the sound quality of K44 improve significantly on Fast Track II? 2) If not, what headphone would be good to use on the fast track? I heard that high impedance headpones would not sound good on it. What would be the impedance limit?

Isn't that a computer audio question that should be in that section of the forum?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back