++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Feb 12, 2013 at 2:13 PM Post #24,571 of 29,490
Quote:
Gonna buy either a sony mdr ma900 or akg q701 for music, gaming, movies i read ma900 is good in comfort but q701 is good in sound i want good sound and good comfort for using is more than few hours which one is better for me or are their better headphones in comfort and sound

Both are very good sound wise, but the Q701 needs an amp.

The Sony is very light.  Comfort complaints are rare.  The Q 701 is considered comfortable by most, but not all.  Once again I’ll mention that headphone comfort is a very individual thing.  We can point you to headphones that are generally considered to be comfortable and mention others that have garnered complaints for being uncomfortable.  However, the only way to know for sure is to wear them yourself for a time equivalent to your longest listening session.

Feb 12, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #24,572 of 29,490
Just a question after doing some researching:

Would the Grado SR325i
or Sennheiser HD650

be a upgrade/downgrade to the ATH-A700X
in terms of sound quality, overall balance and reasonable but not gimmicky or overpowered bass?

I read that the SR325i are decent for practically any genre,
unsure about the HD650.

think out of these two are SR325i open headphones but i am not sure if there is an equivalent open to the HD650.

Feb 12, 2013 at 2:23 PM Post #24,574 of 29,490
Quote:

Would the Grado SR325i
or Sennheiser HD650

in terms of sound quality, overall balance and reasonable but not gimmicky or overpowered bass?

unsure about the HD650.

think out of these two are SR325i open headphones but i am not sure if there is an equivalent open to the HD650.

The HD650s are open headphones, just like the Grados

I personally think the 325is go well with a lot of genres, but popular concensus would be that the HD650 can handle more genres

Both headphones will be an upgrade, but with (I think) less bass overall than the A700x.  

Feb 12, 2013 at 3:07 PM Post #24,576 of 29,490
Quote:

I personally think the 325is go well with a lot of genres, but popular concensus would be that the HD650 can handle more genres

Both headphones will be an upgrade, but with (I think) less bass overall than the A700x.  

Right,

Is there any open headphones that still is an upgrade and might have more bass than the A700x but still not overpowered bass?

Feb 12, 2013 at 3:09 PM Post #24,577 of 29,490
Quote:

Would the Grado SR325i
or Sennheiser HD650

unsure about the HD650.

Both are upgrades--although also different.

The HD 650 is the classic can that does most everything well.  The 325is is the most versatile of the Grado SR line, but is best with rock, blues and similar genres.

Both are open.

Both have more bass than the A900; I have not heard the A700X.

Feb 12, 2013 at 3:10 PM Post #24,578 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:

Right,

Is there any open headphones that still is an upgrade and might have more bass than the A700x but still not overpowered bass?

Yes--lots including the up line open AT's, HD 600 and DT 880 (+/- Pro).

Feb 12, 2013 at 3:15 PM Post #24,580 of 29,490
Quote:
Is AKG K240 good for movies, musics and games ? Is better than AD700 ?

Yes they are good. 

Overall the 700 is probably better for movies and games due to its larger sound stage.  Some will like the 240 better because the 700 is bass light.  Music will probably follow a similar preference pattern.

Feb 12, 2013 at 3:37 PM Post #24,581 of 29,490
Thank you!

AD700 is bass ligth, ok. But for musics and movies, it is still better than gamers headphones ? 
Quote:
Yes they are good. 

Overall the 700 is probably better for movies and games due to its larger sound stage.  Some will like the 240 better because the 700 is bass light.  Music will probably follow a similar preference pattern.

Feb 12, 2013 at 3:38 PM Post #24,582 of 29,490
Quote:
Yes--lots including the up line open AT's, HD 600 and DT 880 (+/- Pro).

Okay,

thanks.

I don't have a disposition to AT phones,
but which would you recommend out of the HD 600 and the DT 880 standard or pro version (i am guessing thats what +/- means).

I under stand it might be a little more expensive than my original aim but i am a realistic thinker.

Feb 12, 2013 at 4:03 PM Post #24,583 of 29,490
So it's been asked a few times, but there's always new models coming out and I want to find a pair that fits my needs exactly.

I'm looking for a CLOSED back headphone with an exceptional soundstage. I know open backs have better soundstage, but I use my headphones in the public more often than in the privacy of my home. All I'm really looking for is a pair of headphones that can transport me far away from my current surroundings and I can really clearly imagine where the instruments are, especially in a noisy setting (i.e. a restaurant). So, a nice seal with great soundstage.

I don't have a particular genre I listen to, but I typically don't listen to metal or country.

Price range, I'd say under 1k but I will go as far as 1.5k in order to have the ultimate listening experience.

Feb 12, 2013 at 4:12 PM Post #24,584 of 29,490
Hello guys! Hope you can help me.

I just bought a AKG K44 for home mixings (I know I shouldnt mix on headphones, but I need SOMETHING to mix because I do a lot of VST recordings late at night) but it sounded like crap on my onboard soundcard. Specially the bass sounded completly awful.

Also, I'm looking to buy a audio interface, more probably a M-Audio Fast Track II.

My questions are:

1) Will the sound quality of K44 improve significantly on Fast Track II? 

2) If not, what headphone would be good to use on the fast track? I heard that high impedance headpones would not sound good on it. What would be the impedance limit? 

Feb 12, 2013 at 4:55 PM Post #24,585 of 29,490
Quote:
Don't know your equipment, but the at 44 Ohms and Sensitivity of 105 dB/mW, it would be a very weak sister who could not push it.  The 440 has a relatively balance sound, but is clearly not as well delivered as is the 840.

The Superlux leaks.  Whether it leaks to much is only for you to determine.  It is also less efficient and is marginal unamped by an iPhone.  It is bright, with a spike in the high mids/low treble.  If you are going to toss it into a backpack, it may not last too long.

As far as gear goes I have an old Nakamichi RE-3 speaker amp, a Pansonic Technics SL 1300 direct drive turntable, a macbook pro, and a HTC EVO LTE smartphone. My concern here is that I don't have the coin to specialize, so whatever I get needs to be good all around. I also am new to this (the best headphones I've owned have been a $30 pair of on ear philliips and the Sony MDR-XD300) so I'm not sure what will be able to plug in to my unaltered macbook and smartphone headphone jacks and sound decent.

Are you saying that both the SRH 440 and the Superlux would need a portable amplification to be used as on the go sound? Unfortunately the 840s are out of my price range (I can only really spend $100 on this set up, despite my aspirations). How would the Creative Aurvana Live's stack up to these?

Thank you for your help, it is appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back