++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Feb 12, 2013 at 6:41 AM Post #24,556 of 29,490
I just ordered the Schiit Magni/Modi combo and I'm planning on dropping some more cash on a nice set of headphones to go with them. My current set up is on-board PC audio to a pair of SRH 840s. My understanding is that the 840s don't scale particularly well with and amp and I've wanted a nice open or semi-closed headphone to compliment my current pair for a while. My eye is on the Q701 but I'm not sure if it's the pair I want to settle with. Hoping for recommendations.

Cheers!

Feb 12, 2013 at 7:55 AM Post #24,558 of 29,490
Hey guys

New to Head-fi. I am looking for some semi-open to open headphones.
I generally listen to jazz especially when I'm up late chewing through work.
I read a lot of praises for the DT880 being very clear and analytical but I also read comments that the headphones sound a little hollow.
The other issue is that the DT880 aren't really in my price range. The headphones alone fall just within my price range, but throw in shipping to Australia and it's blown my budget. I'm looking at spending $350 for the headphones. Any suggestions?
Cheers

Sam

Feb 12, 2013 at 8:24 AM Post #24,559 of 29,490
Afternoon,

I'd like your help HeadFi'ers. Thought I'd rip off the questions posted to another guy, save some time.

What have I looked at?

Fischer Audio FA-011 - Unavailable in the UK, the only supplier is not restocking.
AD-700 - I'm getting a lot of comments about the lack of bass response, that wouldn't be ideal for me.
AH-M50S - Flavour of the month, but I'm trying not to just jump on the popular choice.
VModa M-80 - Just beyond my budget and hard to get hold of in the UK.
Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO

Where do you live and in what country do you plan to buy?
United Kingdom

What is your budget?
My budget is £100 to £150

Are you OK with open cans like the ones you mentioned (they leak sound)?
Interpreting this as would I prefer open or closed. Ideally closed, but I can be persuaded if it would benefit the intended use more. On-ear or full sized would be fine.

What equipment will be powering these cans?  Will you be using an amp?
The output from my Xonar D2, the headphone output on my Genz Benz Shuttle 9 (Class D Bass Guitar Amp), *possibly* a Samsung P3 (MP3 Player).

What is the format of your music and other sounds you will putting into these cans?
Format will vary, 192 VBR to 320 Kbps MP3, FLAC. However I have a down-tuned 5-string Bass guitar that I want to monitor.

Describe the sound signature that you are seeking?
Balanced, with leaning towards a punchy well defined bass output, I plan on using Dolby Headphone with gaming.

If you don't know your preferred sound signature (and even if you do), what genres of music do you plan to run through these cans?
Mostly metal, but will be used for gaming and monitoring my bass guitar playing, (Could be a bit too varied in scope I know).

Do you plan to use them outside your home?  If so, in what way & with what equipment?
Unlikely, nice to be able to, would be used on a Samsung P3 (MP3 Player).

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Feb 12, 2013 at 8:27 AM Post #24,560 of 29,490
Anyone can help me about the Audio Technica ATH AD500 ? I want buy this phone, but i have to know if it is better than Corsair Vengeance 1300 and Koss Porta Pro... I will play games, listen to music (rock, hip hop, pop) and watch some movies. I am not a experient user, i am new in thie world =]

Hope someone can help me =]

Regards,
Arthur

Feb 12, 2013 at 11:56 AM Post #24,562 of 29,490
Quote:
Anyone can help me about the Audio Technica ATH AD500 ? I want buy this phone, but i have to know if it is better than Corsair Vengeance 1300 and Koss Porta Pro... I will play games, listen to music (rock, hip hop, pop) and watch some movies. I am not a experient user, i am new in thie world =]

Regards,
Arthur

Any help, please ? *-*

Feb 12, 2013 at 11:59 AM Post #24,563 of 29,490
Could someone compare the Shure SRH 440 with the Superlux HD668b for me?

I'm concerned with isolation on the superlux (I'm afraid they could bother people around me) and I'm concerned that the Shure may need an amp to be powered by my HTC evo LTE (my mobile source). If the Shures need an amp, even if they sound good enough to be worth the extra 40 bucks, It's going to be a no-go if I also need to buy a $30 amp. If I need to buy a $30 fiio for the superlux it's not a big deal, though.

I hate the budget game... just throwing that out here
confused_face.gif

Feb 12, 2013 at 12:31 PM Post #24,564 of 29,490
Gonna buy either a sony mdr ma900 or akg q701 for music, gaming, movies i read ma900 is good in comfort but q701 is good in sound i want good sound and good comfort for using is more than few hours which one is better for me or are their better headphones in comfort and sound

Feb 12, 2013 at 12:40 PM Post #24,565 of 29,490
USA

What is your budget?
$400

Yes

RSA amp. Just have not decided which one yet

What is the format of your music and other sounds you will putting into these cans?
FLAC, LOSS-LESS, MP3

Balanced, with leaning towards a punchy well defined bass output.

If you don't know your preferred sound signature (and even if you do), what genres of music do you plan to run through these cans?
Mostly Classic Rock, Alternative, some Pop and Dance/Techno.

Do you plan to use them outside your home?  If so, in what way & with what equipment?
Yes, Ipod 80GB Video with LOD to a a E11 on a set of W4R currently.

I liked this format, so i borrowed it. thanks

So I have a W4R on a E11 off a Ipod video which is my first step up to this world. I also have a vintage set of Grado SR60 that has been with me for about 10 yrs.

What I need help with is a full size. I realize that I will need to get a better portable than my E11 to power the cans and am looking at RSA to get one of there units. My only requirement is that it is rechargeable.

I have been leaning towards a HD650 or a HE-400. Both seem to have great reviews and are quality headphones.

I am open to any suggestions

thanks

Feb 12, 2013 at 1:27 PM Post #24,566 of 29,490
Quote:
USA

What is your budget?
$400

Yes

RSA amp. Just have not decided which one yet

FLAC, LOSS-LESS, MP3

Balanced, with leaning towards a punchy well defined bass output.

Mostly Classic Rock, Alternative, some Pop and Dance/Techno.

Yes, Ipod 80GB Video with LOD to a a E11 on a set of W4R currently.

I liked this format, so i borrowed it. thanks

So I have a W4R on a E11 off a Ipod video which is my first step up to this world. I also have a vintage set of Grado SR60 that has been with me for about 10 yrs.

What I need help with is a full size. I realize that I will need to get a better portable than my E11 to power the cans and am looking at RSA to get one of there units. My only requirement is that it is rechargeable.

I have been leaning towards a HD650 or a HE-400. Both seem to have great reviews and are quality headphones.

I am open to any suggestions

thanks

These cans are not good for portable use, but seem to meet your needs outside of that issue.  I'd go with the HD 650 based on your preferred sound signature and the uncertainty created by which version of the HE 400 you might get--especially if you don't listen to it  before buying.

Feb 12, 2013 at 1:31 PM Post #24,567 of 29,490
Quote:
I just ordered the Schiit Magni/Modi combo and I'm planning on dropping some more cash on a nice set of headphones to go with them. My current set up is on-board PC audio to a pair of SRH 840s. My understanding is that the 840s don't scale particularly well with and amp and I've wanted a nice open or semi-closed headphone to compliment my current pair for a while. My eye is on the Q701 but I'm not sure if it's the pair I want to settle with. Hoping for recommendations.

Cheers!

We'll need more to be of much help:

What is your budget?

Feb 12, 2013 at 1:37 PM Post #24,568 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey guys

New to Head-fi. I am looking for some semi-open to open headphones.
I generally listen to jazz especially when I'm up late chewing through work.
I read a lot of praises for the DT880 being very clear and analytical but I also read comments that the headphones sound a little hollow.
The other issue is that the DT880 aren't really in my price range. The headphones alone fall just within my price range, but throw in shipping to Australia and it's blown my budget. I'm looking at spending $350 for the headphones. Any suggestions?
Cheers

Sam

Don't know what your tab will be in Australia, but cans generally seen to be on the same tier as the DT 880 include the Q701, HD 600 and HD 650.

Almost as good and much easier to drive is the Audio Technica ATH-AD900--and probably the new "X" version.

Feb 12, 2013 at 1:40 PM Post #24,569 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:

Regards,
Arthur

Any help, please ? *-*

I don't think anyone has heard it.  Anything under the 700 has rarely, if ever, been mentioned here.

Feb 12, 2013 at 1:49 PM Post #24,570 of 29,490
Quote:
Could someone compare the Shure SRH 440 with the Superlux HD668b for me?

I'm concerned with isolation on the superlux (I'm afraid they could bother people around me) and I'm concerned that the Shure may need an amp to be powered by my HTC evo LTE (my mobile source). If the Shures need an amp, even if they sound good enough to be worth the extra 40 bucks, It's going to be a no-go if I also need to buy a $30 amp. If I need to buy a $30 fiio for the superlux it's not a big deal, though.

I hate the budget game... just throwing that out here
confused_face.gif

Don't know your equipment, but the at 44 Ohms and Sensitivity of 105 dB/mW, it would be a very weak sister who could not push it.  The 440 has a relatively balance sound, but is clearly not as well delivered as is the 840.

The Superlux leaks.  Whether it leaks to much is only for you to determine.  It is also less efficient and is marginal unamped by an iPhone.  It is bright, with a spike in the high mids/low treble.  If you are going to toss it into a backpack, it may not last too long.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back