++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Feb 6, 2013 at 5:00 PM Post #24,331 of 29,490
Quote:
assuming i dont want to spend money on a new dac/amp which of these headphones would yield the best result in the ~$1000 price range
T1, HD800 and LCD-2 rev. 2?

Haven't heard them all--and some are more like $1,500.  Therefore you should be posing this question in the Summit-Fi section of the forum.

Feb 6, 2013 at 5:44 PM Post #24,332 of 29,490
Hi guys! Just signed up but been reading on head-fi for a few weeks now. I'm looking for my first audiophile headphones and need your help to decide which one I should get. I would use them only at home on my workstation. At the moment I'm using an AKG k530 which is getting a bit old and also starting to fall apart.
I'm a freelancer doing 3D and I spend a lot of time on my workstation with my headphones on - they need to be solid and not break at the first fall from my desk. The headphone should be comfortable to wear as well.
My workstation has an x-fi Xtreme Music using the ASIO drivers but I might upgrade to an Asus Xonar Essence in the next few months if it would improve the sound quality/be needed.
My music collection is only in flac or 320 bitrate. I mainly listen to metal, rock, folk, blues, accoustic and only rarley hip hop or pop.
As for budget, I thought max. 200 Euro. I think that should be enough for my first audiophile headphones. But if 250 Euro would give me the much better sound, I would go for 250.
As for candidates, I found the following headphones:
- AKG K271 MK II
- Philips Fidelio L1/00
- V-Moda Crossfade LP2 LE (I know, a lot of bass but built like a tank)

Which one should I get? Any other candidates I should look at? Btw. In the case of the Fidelio, I might need a longer cable....any suggestion what I should look out for to get some high quality cable?

Brands I'm not really fan of: Beyerdynamic and Sennheiser.

Would really appreciate your input/help. Thanks in advance

Dan

Feb 6, 2013 at 5:55 PM Post #24,333 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi guys! Just signed up but been reading on head-fi for a few weeks now. I'm looking for my first audiophile headphones and need your help to decide which one I should get. I would use them only at home on my workstation. At the moment I'm using an AKG k530 which is getting a bit old and also starting to fall apart.
I'm a freelancer doing 3D and I spend a lot of time on my workstation with my headphones on - they need to be solid and not break at the first fall from my desk. The headphone should be comfortable to wear as well.
My workstation has an x-fi Xtreme Music using the ASIO drivers but I might upgrade to an Asus Xonar Essence in the next few months if it would improve the sound quality/be needed.
My music collection is only in flac or 320 bitrate. I mainly listen to metal, rock, folk, blues, accoustic and only rarley hip hop or pop.
As for budget, I thought max. 200 Euro. I think that should be enough for my first audiophile headphones. But if 250 Euro would give me the much better sound, I would go for 250.
As for candidates, I found the following headphones:
- AKG K271 MK II
- Philips Fidelio L1/00
- V-Moda Crossfade LP2 LE (I know, a lot of bass but built like a tank)

Which one should I get? Any other candidates I should look at? Btw. In the case of the Fidelio, I might need a longer cable....any suggestion what I should look out for to get some high quality cable?

Brands I'm not really fan of: Beyerdynamic and Sennheiser.

Would really appreciate your input/help. Thanks in advance

Dan

Many find the V-Moda to be uncomfortable, especially for listening sessions like yours.

Get the new sound card an Ultrasone Pro 750 (currently $200 & up new from Amazon--U.S.).

Feb 6, 2013 at 6:25 PM Post #24,335 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey everyone! Im gonna be coming down to the US from Canada this weekend and I wanted to get some headphones (they'll hopefully be cheaper xP). I go to high school so I want something that looks kinda nice. I listen to all kinda of music but mostly hiphop, rap, R&B, and pop. Im gonna just plug it into my Samsung Galaxy S2 X as my driver but im thinking about getting a fiio e6 im not sure yet.... I've been looking at the Skullcandy Roc Nation Aviators and the Philips Cityscape Uptowns. I like the way both of them look and im going to go to Future Shop to try em out tomorrow. Im sorry im kinda new at this.  Oh and also I wanted something around that price range. I want something that I can get for around ($100) and I want something that wont leak sound too much. Ide Love some guidance or a decision of which of those 2 to buy! Thanks :)

Any suggestions?

Feb 6, 2013 at 6:28 PM Post #24,336 of 29,490
Quote:
Need some recommendations! Been a long time lurker but decided to register today. I started out with the JVC HARX700s and then added a Xonar DG card to get more volume. Back in October, I upgraded to the AT M50s with a FiiO E10. I grabbed the Grado SR80i based on recommendations I read here for rock music, but I really disliked the sound and they were not comfortable.

I love the sound I get from the M50s, but I want another set that's more comfortable (maybe bigger cups/less clamp). I'd rather not sacrifice the clear, powerful volume and strong bass. I love the way a kick drum sound on the M50s. I'm open to a closed or open set (the M50s are kind of "in your face", but I like it for live recordings). An open set would be nice, but not necessary. I'm not sure if the E10 is strong enough to power the more demanding sets and I will be picking up the Schiit Modi/Magni combo in the next month.

If it helps, I mostly listen to Stoner Rock and 90's Alt Rock (Kyuss, Queens of the Stone Age, Helmet, ZZ Top) with the occasional classic rock stuff (Steely Dan, Toto, Hendrix).

Thanks in advance for your help!

My beyerdynamics dt770 250 ohm are Very comfy. I didn't find the mids as recessed as the m50, they are but not as bad. plus deeper bass. They don't clamp too hard and I have a large head. I also have dumbo ears and they completely sourround em so there's my vote
atsmile.gif
 A magni should power them just fine

Feb 6, 2013 at 7:20 PM Post #24,337 of 29,490
Need a new pair of supra aural headphones for the gym. I have been using  AKG K81DJ  headphones. I have love them, but sadly they have finally died. The only  problem I had with them was the cord was super long. If anyone has any ideas for $70 or less.
[size=1.7em]  [/size]

Feb 6, 2013 at 7:31 PM Post #24,338 of 29,490
Hi,

I'm new to the whole audiophile stuff (and the forum) so I don't have any references for myself (most expensive I've had were sennheiser hd446 but they weren't all that).
I searched on the web for what would be considered good phones for my taste and ended up with the phillips uptown and the koss pro dj100.
I literally like almost every style of music so i want a diverse phone,I'm no basshead and would like good separation between instruments and want them to sound kind of true to the track. I want to use them at home and on the go without an amp.
I don't need detachable cords,mics etc. and portability isn't a must.

So my 2 cents on these phones

Koss pro dj 100
pro's:swivelling cups,bigger jack possibility,good build,good looks,kind of neutral sound but still musical (?),warranty
cons:comfort (havent tested myself),needs amp for better sound

Philips Uptown
pro's:looks,warm sound,comfort,doesn't need an amp,build,oval earcups
cons:no bigger jack,stupid mic thing

they are fairly even for me (they cost nearly the same too)

other cans I considered were sony mdr v6 (too trebly?),akg K240 (not available),shure SRH440 (bad comfort),audio technica ath m50 (hype--> expensive)

I now use some on ear sony's which is bad all over and my favourites right now the koss portapro but i want to go a step up (under 100 euros)

I know it's all subjective but i cant test these anywhere in my country without driving hours.
Haven't seen this comparison anywhere so what do you guys think I should get?

Thanks in advance

The fishtick

Feb 6, 2013 at 7:38 PM Post #24,339 of 29,490
Quote:
Full on ear and portability often tend to conflict--at least with regard to size.  I don't think that you are likely to get everything you want in one can.

The Shure SRH 940 is a strong choice, except it does not have the bass you will want for rap and the like.  It's currently only $229 here until the 11th:

http://www.ttvjaudio.com/dealoftheday.asp

The Ultrasone Pro 750 will give you the bass, but is not as detailed as the Shure.

Both come with cases.  Both need to be amped.

I'm not worried so much with the size, I don't care if they're a little on the large side. They need to be something that I can also listen to for several hours at a time and I just can't do that with on ear ones. I also like that full on ear help to block outside noise.

I've looked at the Shure SRH 940 before and it did catch my eye. Honestly, I don't really listen to much rap and if I did I wouldn't care about the quality of it anyways haha. xD So, bass isn't a huge issue to me as long as it's tight and crisp. My only question on it is, do I NEED and amp or will an amp just give me that extra oomph? As far as amps go, I've seen a lot of people reccomend the Fiio E11, would that be a good choice? 

My main genre that I want these do be used for are Prog Rock/Metal and classical. So they realistically need to produce crisp, clear sounds in all the ranges. Between those two it seems like the Shure would do the best there?

Thank you for the help.

Feb 6, 2013 at 7:54 PM Post #24,340 of 29,490
Quote:
Need a new pair of supra aural headphones for the gym. I have been using  AKG K81DJ  headphones. I have love them, but sadly they have finally died. The only  problem I had with them was the cord was super long. If anyone has any ideas for $70 or less.
[size=1.7em]  [/size]

This section is for full sized headphones only.  There is a recommendations thread in the portable headphones, etc. section of the forum.

Feb 6, 2013 at 7:59 PM Post #24,341 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi,

I'm new to the whole audiophile stuff (and the forum) so I don't have any references for myself (most expensive I've had were sennheiser hd446 but they weren't all that).
I searched on the web for what would be considered good phones for my taste and ended up with the phillips uptown and the koss pro dj100.
I literally like almost every style of music so i want a diverse phone,I'm no basshead and would like good separation between instruments and want them to sound kind of true to the track. I want to use them at home and on the go without an amp.
I don't need detachable cords,mics etc. and portability isn't a must.

So my 2 cents on these phones

Koss pro dj 100
pro's:swivelling cups,bigger jack possibility,good build,good looks,kind of neutral sound but still musical (?),warranty
cons:comfort (havent tested myself),needs amp for better sound

Philips Uptown
pro's:looks,warm sound,comfort,doesn't need an amp,build,oval earcups
cons:no bigger jack,stupid mic thing

they are fairly even for me (they cost nearly the same too)

other cans I considered were sony mdr v6 (too trebly?),akg K240 (not available),shure SRH440 (bad comfort),audio technica ath m50 (hype--> expensive)

I now use some on ear sony's which is bad all over and my favourites right now the koss portapro but i want to go a step up (under 100 euros)

I know it's all subjective but i cant test these anywhere in my country without driving hours.
Haven't seen this comparison anywhere so what do you guys think I should get?

Thanks in advance

The fishtick

It would probably help if you indicated you country in your profile when you post.

Get the CAL!

Or get the M50 pads and an amp for you DJ100.

Feb 6, 2013 at 8:02 PM Post #24,342 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
Full on ear and portability often tend to conflict--at least with regard to size.  I don't think that you are likely to get everything you want in one can.

The Shure SRH 940 is a strong choice, except it does not have the bass you will want for rap and the like.  It's currently only $229 here until the 11th:

http://www.ttvjaudio.com/dealoftheday.asp

The Ultrasone Pro 750 will give you the bass, but is not as detailed as the Shure.

Both come with cases.  Both need to be amped.

I'm not worried so much with the size, I don't care if they're a little on the large side. They need to be something that I can also listen to for several hours at a time and I just can't do that with on ear ones. I also like that full on ear help to block outside noise.

I've looked at the Shure SRH 940 before and it did catch my eye. Honestly, I don't really listen to much rap and if I did I wouldn't care about the quality of it anyways haha. xD So, bass isn't a huge issue to me as long as it's tight and crisp. My only question on it is, do I NEED and amp or will an amp just give me that extra oomph? As far as amps go, I've seen a lot of people reccomend the Fiio E11, would that be a good choice? 

My main genre that I want these do be used for are Prog Rock/Metal and classical. So they realistically need to produce crisp, clear sounds in all the ranges. Between those two it seems like the Shure would do the best there?

Thank you for the help.

Yes--the 940 is your best option and yes--you need an amp to make getting the 940 worthwhile.

Feb 6, 2013 at 8:07 PM Post #24,343 of 29,490
I'm looking to get an open-back headphone in the $200-300 range. So far I've narrowed it down to the AKG Q701, Sennheiser HD598, and Beyerdynamic DT990 250ohm.
The 3 main attributes I would be looking for are (ranked in value) comfort > soundstage > bass. I'm coming from a pair of Ultrasone HFI-780s which have great bass, but so-so comfort and soundstage.
I mainly listen to electronic music (trance, house, electro, drum and bass), but also to rock, classical, and ambient (chillout, post-rock).
I have a Meier-Audio Corda Headsix portable amp to drive the headphones I would get; I've asked around and apparently this amp should be fine to drive these headphones.
Out of these headphones, which one should I get? Or are there other ones I should be considering?

Feb 6, 2013 at 8:14 PM Post #24,344 of 29,490
It should--subject to the quality--or lack thereof--of your computer on board sound.  That can be a problem area, as much of it is bad or worse.

Oh Ight, I was just guessing laptop has more juice so sound is better. Awesome, I've made my choice. Shure SRH440 is my perfect pair! Woohoo!! Thank you very much, I found them on a local listing for 70 bucks free shipping! Amazing eargasms, here I come! :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back