++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Feb 4, 2013 at 11:46 PM Post #24,256 of 29,490
Quote:
hi guys i have a question how do the lcd2 sound with music like 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcSM0v9XcWA  - 

Quiet - Rachael Yamagata

Norah jones, diana krall, massive attack, portishead, trip hop, radiohead, some deftones, flying lotus, perfect circle, some ambient music, chill, sunshine soundtrack, electronic?

thats pretty much what i listen to, alot of female vocals, trip hop, electronic, and some rock, acoustic. im kind of looking for a musical fun headphone, i want the female vocals to blow me away

(swoons)  I don't think there's a headphone under $1000 that can reproduce voice and piano and as well as the LCD-2.  HE-500 have wonderful mids but the deeep bass and more natural highs of the LCD-2 make the piano sound realistic, which is not easy.

Feb 5, 2013 at 12:04 AM Post #24,257 of 29,490
[size=10.5pt]All right I am jumping into this (yes I am very worried about my wallet). Sorry lots of questions packed in here….I’ve been a huge fan of music forever and decided that investing in headphones and gear is the next level way to enjoy and appreciate it. I’ve only used IEM’s for the last couple decades, last pair of non-IEM was probably the cheap ones with the thin metal band and cheap sponge that came free with cassette walkmans back in the day.[/size]

[size=10.5pt]Based on the fact that a HUGE portion of recommendations on this site include or reference the ATH-M50s and they are in the price range I am looking to get started with I was pretty convinced that was the way to go…then I started reading about some alternatives and recommendations against the M50’s. [/size]

[size=10.5pt]The biggest thing that is scaring me off right now is the notion that the newer M50s are lesser than older ones and that is making question that all the recommendations of the M50s are based on the older/better version (thus making all the comparisons on here pretty irrelevant to me).  I've read some threads in here about this...[/size]

[size=10.5pt]Also, regardless of the difference would you all recommend that I still jump into the M50s and make that my starting point (since it is such a reference point on here) or am I better off trying to get into something that will be better for me from the start?[/size]

[size=10.5pt]My Budget is under $200 (max, but  I’d like to spend less if possible, but willing to wait if it is worth it).[/size]
[size=10.5pt]My music listening goes something like this: 40% R&B, 30% Hip Hop, 30% Rock/Folk/Alternative/other.  [/size]
[size=10.5pt]I like bass, but not at all at the expense of being able to hear the rest of the music and vocal (I am assuming my main interest is clean rich mids, I enjoy the vocals and the music nothing is more important than the other I just want it to all sound great).[/size]
[size=10.5pt]Source: Iphone4, computer. No amp (yet, but probably Fiioe17 soon). I'm settled on closed headphones for this first purchase...removable cable is a plus but not a must.[/size]

[size=10.5pt]I’ve pretty much settled on the E17 as my first amp since it is versatile and can be used portable and also integrated for a desktop set up. Would I get more “bang for my buck” with a $75 set of headphone with the amp or a $180 set of headphones with no amp at first?[/size]

[size=10.5pt]Here are some I am considering based on reading the forums and also some stuff that came up in searches for these on amazon, etc. [/size]

[size=10.5pt]Main group I think I am narrowed down to (I've included prices I found because it matters to me and you can also let me know about the cost/value):[/size]

[size=10.5pt]Brainwavz HM5  $139.50 amazon[/size]
[size=12.0pt]Ultrasone HFI-780 $150 on amazon[/size]
[size=12pt]AKG K 271 MKII -$125 amazon.[/size]
[size=10.5pt]AKG K 181 DJ Professional [/size][size=10.5pt]$98 amazon. Leaning towards these based on the big discount, but not sure if this is a mistake..[/size]
[size=10.5pt]Koss Prodj100 $55 amazon[/size]
[size=12.0pt]SRH840 $180 on amazon[/size]
[size=12.0pt]Shure SRH440 $90 on amazon[/size]

[size=12.0pt]Others:[/size]
[size=12.0pt]Ultrasone HFI-580  $180 on amazon[/size]
[size=12pt]Ultrasone PRO550 $140 amazon.[/size]
[size=12pt]Ultrasone HFI-680- $132 amazon[/size]
[size=10.5pt]Koss ProDJ200 $130 amazon (are they that much better than the 100’s?)[/size]
[size=10.5pt]Pioneer HDJ-1000  $140 amazon[/size]
[size=10.5pt]Pioneer HDJ 2000 $180-215 amazon[/size]

[size=10.5pt]Any recommendations are appreciated![/size]

Feb 5, 2013 at 12:56 AM Post #24,258 of 29,490
Quote:

(swoons)  I don't think there's a headphone under $1000 that can reproduce voice and piano and as well as the LCD-2.  HE-500 have wonderful mids but the deeep bass and more natural highs of the LCD-2 make the piano sound realistic, which is not easy.

thx!! what about for the others like electronic and trip hop/hip hop, and jazz

Feb 5, 2013 at 1:01 AM Post #24,259 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
There are a number of good options, but someone else will have to help you, as I have only one portable amp and it just went out of production.

Alright. What about the HSR 1000 makes you think it will be a good option for me? Just curious, I generally like to be sold on a product that I'm considering buying.

Not trying to sell you anything.  The HSR-1000 (also released under Takstar) meets all your needs at least reasonably well and has the best bass and sub bass for non-basssheads of anything I've heard that is even close to its price.  In addition PurpleAngel likes them too.

Feb 5, 2013 at 1:45 AM Post #24,260 of 29,490
Not trying to sell you anything.  The HSR-1000 (also released under Takstar) meets all your needs at least reasonably well and has the best bass and sub bass for non-basssheads of anything I've heard that is even close to its price.  In addition PurpleAngel likes them too.

Sorry that's not exactly what I meant, not accusing you of trying to sell me anything.
Just trying to feel out several options and weigh their various strengths against each other.
So it looks like the HSR-1000 is basically an off-brand DT 770, that sounds like a pretty good option to me.
I think I'll probably end up going with it. Now all I need is to figure out if I need an amp/dac and if that will make a significant sound difference since I'm saving some money off of my original budget of $200 by going with these.

Feb 5, 2013 at 2:23 AM Post #24,261 of 29,490
Looking for closed cans for under $200, with a sound signature similar to JVC's recent carbon nanotube IEMs (i.e. FXD80, FXZ200).

Must have very high black levels, superb instrumental separation and an overall "fun" but still somewhat analytical sound signature. I don't mind if the sound is coloured, as long as I can hear each and every instrument clearly without having the vocals overshadowed too much.

My main source is my iPhone 4S unamp'd, so something with low ohms is required as the idea of hauling around an amp still hasn't clicked too well with me (yet...)

I have been told the AKG K550 is my best bet, however it's over-budget and yes, I could spend extra cash but I would really prefer not to. 

I REALLY REALLY need the black levels and instrumental separation. So for under $200, what should I be looking at, or should I just get a pair of JVC S500's?

Feb 5, 2013 at 4:26 AM Post #24,262 of 29,490
Quote:
Looking for closed cans for under $200, with a sound signature similar to JVC's recent carbon nanotube IEMs (i.e. FXD80, FXZ200).

Must have very high black levels, superb instrumental separation and an overall "fun" but still somewhat analytical sound signature. I don't mind if the sound is coloured, as long as I can hear each and every instrument clearly without having the vocals overshadowed too much.

My main source is my iPhone 4S unamp'd, so something with low ohms is required as the idea of hauling around an amp still hasn't clicked too well with me (yet...)

I have been told the AKG K550 is my best bet, however it's over-budget and yes, I could spend extra cash but I would really prefer not to. 

I REALLY REALLY need the black levels and instrumental separation. So for under $200, what should I be looking at, or should I just get a pair of JVC S500's?

Have no idea of what you mean by "black levels" in the context of audio, heaphones and/or sound.

Also most of us on this thread are unfamiliar with the sound signatures of particular IEM's.  This is the full sized headphones section of the forum.  So please specifically describe the sound signature that you are seeking.

Feb 5, 2013 at 7:20 AM Post #24,265 of 29,490
Quote:
thx!! what about for the others like electronic and trip hop/hip hop, and jazz

Again, the answer is the LCD2r2, but do consider the HE-500 as well since both of them have a great mids (vocal especially woman voice), excelent PRaT, fast transient (because both are orthodynamic), and if you could audition them first it would be great because you can judge them based on your music preference and pick the one you like the most
beerchug.gif

Feb 5, 2013 at 12:15 PM Post #24,267 of 29,490
Quote:

I think that by "black level," you mean very low noise floor, i.e. immediate silence when there is no sound from the source, without overhang. 
This is something that electrostatic and (in the old times) electret headphones excel at. Magnetoplanar (orthodynamic) headphones are also good at this.  (So are electrostatic and magnetoplanar loudspeakers, but I digress.) My Fostex T50RP (semi-closed; many modded versions are closed) has this kind of sound.  The T50RP is well within your budget, but is not easy to drive; I do not think that an unamped iPhone 4S would do it justice.  You could also look for a used electrostatic or electret headphone, but they would also be hard to drive.  You may be better off with the JVC 500S, which I never heard, but which I understand have excellent transient speed---again, I have never heard them!

Feb 5, 2013 at 1:20 PM Post #24,268 of 29,490
Quote:

I always read here that the bass on LCD-2 is amazing, but I dont understand how an electrostatic driver can move more air (bass is basically strong air waves) than a mechanical driver.

Feb 5, 2013 at 1:22 PM Post #24,269 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi! 
I am looking for new headphones, since i don't like my Beyerd.DT231Pro anymore (they lack a lot of comfort).

Price: Below 100€ [~120 USD]
Required specifications: Closed, circumaural, comfortable to wear for a couple of hours.
Bonus: Detachable cable (My DT231 had a broken cable 2 times), foldable

Music: I mostly listen to music via my notebook and Technics amplifier, but they should sound fine using only a MP3Player as well.
The sound should be clear and distinguished (to get the most out of Pink Floyd), as well as being able to blast some nice and smooth bass sounds (DrumnBass, Trance).

What i stumbled upon so far:
Ultrasone Pro-450
Creative Aurvana Live
Sony MDR V6
Denon AHD1100

Please tell me if you have experience with those models, or even more recomendations :) Thanks!

I just added the Shure SHR750DJ to my list, it seems very fitting to me - Does anyone have experience with these headphones?

Feb 5, 2013 at 1:37 PM Post #24,270 of 29,490

Users who are viewing this thread

Back