++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jan 19, 2013 at 10:37 PM Post #23,612 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
At your budget, the AUDIO-TECHNICA ATH-AD900 comes to mind.

Actually they slightly over my budget. In Russia we have bizarre pricing. 
Does ad900 worth delaying purchase (compare to srh940)?

That comes down to what you want, starting with whether you want an open or closed can; whether or not the size of the sound stage is a important; whether or not a detachable set of cables, a case and extra ear pads are important, etc.

Jan 19, 2013 at 11:55 PM Post #23,613 of 29,490
Quote:
Neither the Grado nor HD 598 will give you that.  The Shure SRH 940 will.

Thanks! I'll take them into account. Maybe there is some open analytical and transparent headphones? As I said before I don't need much isolation.

Maybe the Beyer DT880? I haven't heard much about it to be honest.
The SRH1440 might be a better choice if you're looking in to the SRH940 but want an open-back headphone.

Jan 20, 2013 at 1:06 AM Post #23,614 of 29,490
Hey guys!
I'm looking for a good set of Over the ear style head phones, and I've been searching for around for the last 18 hours (no lie) and i cant seem to make up my mind as to what set would go well with what I'm planning to do. I want to keep the set of headphones to the 250-300 range to allow up to 200 for an amp/dac set up if needed. My thoughts one phones are, Clean sound reproduction, not overly heavy on the bass side and not a blazingly hot treble end. I use a set of Etymotic HF3s with my Iphone and love the clean sound when listening to Rush - Tom Sawyer. Sounds remarkably crisp and clear. That is a sound I'd like to continue with in a full 'phone set up.

Edit : Thanks in advance!!!

Uses:
Some computer gaming (diablo 2 and maybe 3)
Mostly Music and watching movies on the computer. 

Music genres:
Metal - Slipknot, Mudvayne
Jazz / fusion - Marcus Miller, Victor Wooten
Random other bands:
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Korn
Rammstein
Oomph!
and some blues.

Jan 20, 2013 at 1:27 AM Post #23,615 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey guys!
I'm looking for a good set of Over the ear style head phones, and I've been searching for around for the last 18 hours (no lie) and i cant seem to make up my mind as to what set would go well with what I'm planning to do. I want to keep the set of headphones to the 250-300 range to allow up to 200 for an amp/dac set up if needed. My thoughts one phones are, Clean sound reproduction, not overly heavy on the bass side and not a blazingly hot treble end. I use a set of Etymotic HF3s with my Iphone and love the clean sound when listening to Rush - Tom Sawyer. Sounds remarkably crisp and clear. That is a sound I'd like to continue with in a full 'phone set up.

Edit : Thanks in advance!!!

Uses:
Some computer gaming (diablo 2 and maybe 3)
Mostly Music and watching movies on the computer. 

Music genres:
Metal - Slipknot, Mudvayne
Jazz / fusion - Marcus Miller, Victor Wooten
Random other bands:
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Korn
Rammstein
Oomph!
and some blues.

They are just a little bright, but I'd go with the DT 880 Pro--250 Ohm version.

Jan 20, 2013 at 3:02 AM Post #23,616 of 29,490
Hello All,
Thanks for the great info on this site.  But even with all of it, I could use your help to decide how to enter the realm of more high quality over ear headphones.

I tend to listen to rap the most so in terms of sound quality bass is probably the most important element of the spectrum, but my primary preference is for a strong overall listening experience for all experiencing all types of music.  I mainly will use them to sit down and work with, so long term comfort is a big factor, but I also would like them to look pretty good so I can wear them out and about on occasion instead of just crappy headphones.Picking up an amp for EQ'ing could be possible, but I would prefer to not have to worry about it if possible.
EDIT: Listening mostly off of Spotify on my computer and iphone.

After research, I am considering the following (I've got $300 max $400 to burn)....

Very close to picking up the Sony MDR- 1R's for overall comfort and style (My main concern is that the bass will not be punchy enough for playing rap music)
Also looking into...Denon D1100 (or the D2000 used), Sony z-1000 (likely used), and Ultrasone 900's.
Mainly bass-heavy options, but I am concerned about some of these for either comfort or style. 

A key question is whether it might be worth it to pick up a higher quality used headphone over a brand new $300 headphone so I can achieve the trifecta of comfort, style, and high quality low end.

Thanks for all of your help!  Bonus points for links to discounted D2000's or Sony Z-1000's (they seem pretty great if they weren't so expensive)

Jan 20, 2013 at 3:50 AM Post #23,617 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello All,
Thanks for the great info on this site.  But even with all of it, I could use your help to decide how to enter the realm of more high quality over ear headphones.

I tend to listen to rap the most so in terms of sound quality bass is probably the most important element of the spectrum, but my primary preference is for a strong overall listening experience for all experiencing all types of music.  I mainly will use them to sit down and work with, so long term comfort is a big factor, but I also would like them to look pretty good so I can wear them out and about on occasion instead of just crappy headphones.Picking up an amp for EQ'ing could be possible, but I would prefer to not have to worry about it if possible.
EDIT: Listening mostly off of Spotify on my computer and iphone.

After research, I am considering the following (I've got $300 max $400 to burn)....

Very close to picking up the Sony MDR- 1R's for overall comfort and style (My main concern is that the bass will not be punchy enough for playing rap music)
Also looking into...Denon D1100 (or the D2000 used), Sony z-1000 (likely used), and Ultrasone 900's.
Mainly bass-heavy options, but I am concerned about some of these for either comfort or style. 

A key question is whether it might be worth it to pick up a higher quality used headphone over a brand new $300 headphone so I can achieve the trifecta of comfort, style, and high quality low end.

Thanks for all of your help!  Bonus points for links to discounted D2000's or Sony Z-1000's (they seem pretty great if they weren't so expensive)

Someone else can probably give more valuable input on this, but I would rule out the Denons, the D1100 for being a tier or two below the others you listed, and the D2000 for being impractical for portable use (plus they leak and are hard to find at a decent price).  Don't know much about the Ultrasone Pro 900's, but Ultrasones aren't exactly known for comfort and of the ones I've tried, I found the comfort lacking.  Then of course, if you can look past the comfort issue, the Pro 900's are supposed to be a great option for bass.

The MDR-1R's seem like a safe bet, but also maybe consider the Logitech UE 6000, Beyer DT770/COP, or AKG K167 as well (the last two are admittedly blind recommendations).

Jan 20, 2013 at 7:41 AM Post #23,618 of 29,490
Hi Guys,

I currently have Denon AH-D1000 and I am looking for upgrade. I use it mostly with Xonar D2 sound card and flacs or some quality bitrate internet formats for listening to electronic music mostly but a bit of everything also creeps in.

I am thinking about AH-D600 or even AH-D7100. In later stage I would get also matching Head Phone amp to squeeze maximum from the headphones.

How do you rate new Denons?

What other head phones in 600$ range would you recommend?

Thanks

Jan 20, 2013 at 7:42 AM Post #23,619 of 29,490
Hey guys!

I was looking for information from people sharing similar tastes in music as me. I was eyeing the ATH-M50S, but reports of its not so great mids made me come here for advice. My budget is $120, and I can't go to a store and check them out, because I live elsewhere(where people look at you funny when you spend more than $20 on headphones) and I'm getting it through an aunt in the US.

My music spread is like 70% soundtracks(mostly instrumental, Eg: Amethystium) and 30% vocal songs. I do love some tight bass when the drums come on. I also game quite a bit.

My last phones were the Klipsch S4 in ear phones. I really liked their sound.

So with these considerations, is the M50 the be all and end all at this price range, or do my tastes make some others (like SR80i) more favorable for me?

I'd also appreciate some links to guides on modding a mic onto these phones.

Jan 20, 2013 at 8:43 AM Post #23,620 of 29,490
Quote:
That comes down to what you want, starting with whether you want an open or closed can; whether or not the size of the sound stage is a important; whether or not a detachable set of cables, a case and extra ear pads are important, etc.

I think about an open cans, but closed is also OK for me.
It would be nice to have a wide sound stage.
Detachable cables and extra ear pads are really good options, but the main factor is a sound: transparent, with lots of detail, maybe with slightly forward mids and highs, that's what I'm looking for.
SRH1440 are way over my budget.

Jan 20, 2013 at 10:43 AM Post #23,621 of 29,490
I am considering the following options and without a clue:

Sennheiser HD25-1II, Sony MDR-1R, AKG K550 and Sennheiser Momentums. 

For the HD25-1II i want them to be the Adidas version. Cheapest i could find is $250 shipped.
I'm afraid AKG K550 will be too large for my head.

Sony MDR-1R. Where is the cheapest US price? For standard black.
Saw Silver/Brown in $250.

Momentums, these are a bit more expensive... i am not sure.

Please refer to this post please:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/613707/the-akg-k550-appreciation-discussion-thread/255#post_9074389

Thank you a lot.

Jan 20, 2013 at 1:31 PM Post #23,622 of 29,490
Hi there,

So, over the past week or so, I've decided I'd like to pick up a new pair of headphones.
I'm not super "into this stuff," and likely never will be.  But I thought it would be beneficial to check w/ the experts. 
smily_headphones1.gif

I've tried reading around but there is so much out there.  It's overwhelming.  Everyone says something different, and it's usually filled with so much audio-jargon that it means nothing to me.  So I'm hoping a post might help me narrow things down a bit.

I tried going over to my local "Best Buy" to try some out.  But their crappy sound sources and broken headphones that 300 kids have played with didn't make for the best experience.  Further that by the fact that a lot of their stuff is in boxes, not on display to try out, and all over the store.  Sets up front, sets by the MP3 players, sets by the video games, sets by the PCs... sigh...  So many brands.. and so many "types".. gaming headphones, DJ headphones, home audio.. ugh..

I try reading reviews, but any time someone blabbers on about sound I get lost.  Telling me a sound is "thick and vibrant with tight highs and lows that are thick like buttermilk" means nothing to me.  

A little about what I want:

- I want to use them for both listening to music and playing computer games.
- My music tastes are pretty diverse, but I lisetn primarily to rock, classic rock, and pop.
- I want something I can listen to at night when my wife is sleeping in the next room, so something to close out sound.  Thinking I want something that goes around my ears.
- Comfort comfort comfort.  The feeling of big cushy pads around my head is awesome. haha 

So just to clarify size and comfort a little bit, two I tried on at Best Buy were in the "beats" line (which is way too expensive)--but strictly talking FIT here.  The "solo" ones are too small.  The "executive" ones were very comfortable!

Is it reasonable to expect to get anything at like $60?  How can I figure this out?

Looking forward to some guidance!

Thanks!

Jan 20, 2013 at 1:40 PM Post #23,623 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi there,

So, over the past week or so, I've decided I'd like to pick up a new pair of headphones.
I'm not super "into this stuff," and likely never will be.  But I thought it would be beneficial to check w/ the experts. 
smily_headphones1.gif

I've tried reading around but there is so much out there.  It's overwhelming.  Everyone says something different, and it's usually filled with so much audio-jargon that it means nothing to me.  So I'm hoping a post might help me narrow things down a bit.

I tried going over to my local "Best Buy" to try some out.  But their crappy sound sources and broken headphones that 300 kids have played with didn't make for the best experience.  Further that by the fact that a lot of their stuff is in boxes, not on display to try out, and all over the store.  Sets up front, sets by the MP3 players, sets by the video games, sets by the PCs... sigh...  So many brands.. and so many "types".. gaming headphones, DJ headphones, home audio.. ugh..

I try reading reviews, but any time someone blabbers on about sound I get lost.  Telling me a sound is "thick and vibrant with tight highs and lows that are thick like buttermilk" means nothing to me.  

A little about what I want:

- I want to use them for both listening to music and playing computer games.
- My music tastes are pretty diverse, but I lisetn primarily to rock, classic rock, and pop.
- I want something I can listen to at night when my wife is sleeping in the next room, so something to close out sound.  Thinking I want something that goes around my ears.
- Comfort comfort comfort.  The feeling of big cushy pads around my head is awesome. haha 

So just to clarify size and comfort a little bit, two I tried on at Best Buy were in the "beats" line (which is way too expensive)--but strictly talking FIT here.  The "solo" ones are too small.  The "executive" ones were very comfortable!

Is it reasonable to expect to get anything at like $60?  How can I figure this out?

Looking forward to some guidance!

Thanks!

Currently at a low price, original about $75-$80.

http://www.amazon.com/Creative-EF0060-Aurvana-Live-Headphones/dp/B000ZJZ7OA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1358707178&sr=8-1&keywords=creative+aurvana+live

Jan 20, 2013 at 1:51 PM Post #23,624 of 29,490
Hi!

I bought in octomber 2012 a pair of XB600. After a while, the synthetic leather on the earpads started to wear out, until about a fourth of it was peeling off the earpad. Since there's no way of glueing it back, I decided to rip it off completely. Little did I know that the synthetic leather was soundproof and it was the one thing directing the bass to my ears. Now, since it is gone, my XB600 are practically NB600 :).

Therefore, I need a recommendation for new headphones, rich in bass, for about 80-100 dollars, or 60-75 euros. Also, something NOT from sony, as xb400,xb600,xb800 all have the same type of earpads. Some of the options would be:

- Panasonic hxd5e
- JBL J55
- Sennheiser 239, 439.
- AKG K520, K540
- Also, i own 2 pairs of in-ear philips headphones and they're amazing, so I'm taking philips into consideration as well.
- Other ideas are welcome, but not over 100$!

Sorry for the possible mispelling of some words, I'm not from an english-speaking country.
Any help is appreciated! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back