++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jan 18, 2013 at 5:19 PM Post #23,566 of 29,490
Quote:

Interesting. Out of the low-end options listed, the Panasonic HTX7 was at the bottom of my list, but I will bump it up and take a look at the HTF600 and Superlux 668B. If I end up selecting one of the cheaper models, I will probably get it right away. If I choose a more expensive option, I might just wait a bit and keep an eye out for sales. I really feel like taking the plunge now though, have been very close to just getting the HD 201. I've owned mostly Sony and Panasonic stuff so I kind of feel like trying something different. Please feel free to post if you have any further thoughts on why you prefer the models mentioned over the others. It's been really tough whittling down this list, there are many other interesting options including several AudioTechnica models.

I may try to stretch out the budget for the SR60i, that much more to move up to the SR80i. Do you feel that the difference between the SR80i and the $40-$50 models is significant enough to be worth just waiting a bit longer? Also, there's one site offering the Aurvana for quite a bit lower than elsewhere, and it's tempting.

Reading some reviews, and the Superlux 668B does look like a serious contender.

If you do go for a cheaper can, do not get the HD201. It's got a tinny signature that doesn't sound very good whatsoever. The HD202 is a mile ahead of it.

The SR80i/SR60i is a hit or miss for some people. Bass isn't very prevalent at all with it. I would say it is great for rock, metal, and probably a lot of other genres where bass isn't too important.

If it were me, in the higher-priced cans, I would either pick the Creative Aurvana Live! or Superlux 668b. HTF600 if a cheaper can is necessary. 
And, there's actually another I would suggest taking a peek at: Monoprice MHP-839. It's a great can for under $30. Whether you might want that over the HTF600 is up to you, though. 

Jan 18, 2013 at 5:44 PM Post #23,567 of 29,490
Out now but i'll take a look later at the monoprice, although I had the 8323 on my list earlier & they're hard to find in Canada.

Would you recommend the superlux at $70 or the HTF660 at $48? Or Aurvana for around $90. Keeping in mind that I prefer rock over other genres, and would prefer the one kinder to mp3's with a warmer, less harsh sound.

Jan 18, 2013 at 5:51 PM Post #23,568 of 29,490
Shackler,

Where in Canada are you located? And how far away from the US border are you? From where I am, the closest US border is only about a 30 min drive, so what I (and a lot of fellow Vancouverites) do is, we simply order our stuff from the US, and have it shipped to a mail depot at the closest border town. You pay a nominal parcel fee for the item, you declare your item to the CBSA officier, you may or may not be asked to pay your HST/PST/GST, and then you're on your way home. And while I'm down in the US, I fill the car up with cheap gas to save another $10 - $15 for the tank.

Perhaps this is something for you to consider.

Jan 18, 2013 at 5:56 PM Post #23,569 of 29,490
Sorry this ian't really a recomemdations just a quick question. My akg Q701's went and died, I love them to death but being pretty new to high end headphones I'd kinda like to get byerdynamic Dt 880's. 600ohm and experment a bit.

Am I going to be totaly dispointed, or will it just be a change

(I'm using a fisher 400 tube amp to run these, and my music tast go eveywere but hardcore rap and country)

thanks!!

Jan 18, 2013 at 6:10 PM Post #23,570 of 29,490
Quote:

Yeah, I'm in Canada. Less options on a # of models, and prices are generally higher. I'm really strongly leaning towards buying one of the cheaper options now and adding a Grado later, but it's a tough call. Out of the other two, slight lean to the Superlux but the price difference evens it out to the point where I can't decide.

One way to get Grados in your price range in Canada is to get them used.  For example here are SR60 & SR80.  They are great cans for the price.

Jan 18, 2013 at 6:15 PM Post #23,571 of 29,490
Quote:
Out now but i'll take a look later at the monoprice, although I had the 8323 on my list earlier & they're hard to find in Canada.

Would you recommend the superlux at $70 or the HTF660 at $48? Or Aurvana for around $90. Keeping in mind that I prefer rock over other genres, and would prefer the one kinder to mp3's with a warmer, less harsh sound.

the dollar is at par, shipping is usually pretty cheap on light items like headphones.  just pick a good shop and order 'em up!
or...check out head phone bar they are a canadian distributor, free shipping on many items, great service and the prices are pretty darn close to the US pricing.
or...check out Axe music (if you have one in your city) they have a huge selection of headphones that aren't available in the big box stores.

Jan 18, 2013 at 6:41 PM Post #23,573 of 29,490
Quote:
I got DT-770 Pro 80 ohms today.... but I feel like they don't have enough bass. Can anyone recommend me any good bass headphones? They are refunding me $179.99 so any suggestions?

Now...we have two possibilities here:   1) You have a bad source with weak headphone output or no headphone amplifier that can run the headphones properly, in which case, you should get one.  2) You do have a good source and a good headphone amp, but still don't get enough bass. In that case, I would advise to leave the headphones alone and get a big subwoofer instead. :p   In other words, you will not really find headphones with more bass. Muddier and looser bass maybe,  but not more of good quality bass.

Jan 18, 2013 at 6:48 PM Post #23,574 of 29,490
Quote:
Sorry this ian't really a recomemdations just a quick question. My akg Q701's went and died, I love them to death but being pretty new to high end headphones I'd kinda like to get byerdynamic Dt 880's. 600ohm and experment a bit.

Am I going to be totaly dispointed, or will it just be a change

(I'm using a fisher 400 tube amp to run these, and my music tast go eveywere but hardcore rap and country)

thanks!!

Don't know your amp, so can't tell you if it will drive the 600 Ohm version of the DT 880.  If it can, the 880 is a great can that is on the bright side.  Read more here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-57-headphones-compared-update-hifiman-he-400-added-12-24-12#user_DT880

Jan 18, 2013 at 6:58 PM Post #23,575 of 29,490
Quote:
Shackler,

Where in Canada are you located? And how far away from the US border are you? From where I am, the closest US border is only about a 30 min drive, so what I (and a lot of fellow Vancouverites) do is, we simply order our stuff from the US, and have it shipped to a mail depot at the closest border town. You pay a nominal parcel fee for the item, you declare your item to the CBSA officier, you may or may not be asked to pay your HST/PST/GST, and then you're on your way home. And while I'm down in the US, I fill the car up with cheap gas to save another $10 - $15 for the tank.

Perhaps this is something for you to consider.

Don't have a car on the road at the moment, so it's a lot tougher to get down there (I'm about an hour and a half from Toronto). Have thought about used options, but think I prefer to go with a new one in this case. As for ordering from the U.S., it's definitely an option but don't want to get hit with a "duty" charge, which I've had to pay on a couple of items in the past, defeating the purpose of getting a great deal (although it may still end up being cheaper, really depends).

Jan 18, 2013 at 7:10 PM Post #23,577 of 29,490
Jan 18, 2013 at 7:23 PM Post #23,578 of 29,490
Short and sweet;

I currently have a cmoy bb amp with the super accurate and detailed hf5.

I now would like a full sized headphone with

Bass
Clarity in mids and highs
Great soundstage
Minimal sound leakage (plan to wear these at work)

The only one I tried are the dt770 pro 80 ( too bassy, veiled mids). I would try the ath m50s, but got the impression that the dt770s are the same thing minus the comfort.
I

I'm lookin to spend 200-250 bucks and listen to all types of music-

Thanks!

Jan 18, 2013 at 7:41 PM Post #23,579 of 29,490
Hey everyone i am in a bit of a quandary. I am able to get my hands on a pair of HD 700's for around 700, but i am also able to get a pair of HD 800's for about a grand. My problem is stemming from my amplification. i currently have the little dot 1+ and that is coming from the Shiit Modi, with my desktop being a source. I have heard that people would rather listen to a pair of 800's with poor amplification than the 700's with proper. Given the set-up i am using which would be a better idea to get? Looking at this situation now, not in a perspective that i can spend more money on amps in the future. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back