++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jan 18, 2013 at 12:41 AM Post #23,536 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey folks. Looking for a little assistance. After quite some time spent with ear-buds, i have decided to jump back into the realm of the audiophile with some new over-ear headphones. As you are probably aware, there are approx. 10 million models out there to choose from. My main focus is to find the best match between audio quality and price.

Money is very tight at the moment, so I'm looking to probably start at the low end for now. I may use the phones for some gaming and movies, so surround sound has some intrigue, but mostly it'll be for music, which is generally rock and roll although I do have eclectic taste. I like a noticeable and quality bass, but don't need crazy beats and the thumping effect. It would be nice if there was an option to add a mic later. Mostly plugged into the pc (i3 3200 with B75 motherboard, Realtek audio) but some ipod as well. So no amp or sound card involved ATM.

Not really concerned with open vs. closed (i guess closed but i'm FAR more interested in the audio quality). I am hoping some people can post with the differences between these models both in terms of features and in terms of audio quality.

Did a bunch of research, and narrowed down the lower cost options (approx. $36-$43) to these (I am located in Canada):

Sennheiser HD 201
Sennheiser HD 202
MEElectronics HT-21
Panasonic HTX7
Sony XB600 (currently on sale locally for $49)

But, I am tempted by the very enthusiastic reviews of the Grado SR60i and SR80i that I have read. So I am also keeping the option open on spending a bit more on one of these (lowest price available right now listed).

ST60i - 99
SR80i  - 129
Creative Aurvana - 87
Sennheiser PX 100/11 - 74

Which one should I get? Thanks in advance for your help.

Out of the ones you listed, I would get the HTX7, but, if I may, I feel that the Panasonic HTF600 would be a much better option overall.

For the more pricy ones you listed, the Creative Aurvana Live and SR80i would be prime choices.

Also, I would take a look at the Superlux 668B. It's basically in the middle of your two price ranges, costing around $50-$55

Jan 18, 2013 at 1:42 AM Post #23,537 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
Hey folks. Looking for a little assistance. After quite some time spent with ear-buds, i have decided to jump back into the realm of the audiophile with some new over-ear headphones. As you are probably aware, there are approx. 10 million models out there to choose from. My main focus is to find the best match between audio quality and price.

Money is very tight at the moment, so I'm looking to probably start at the low end for now. I may use the phones for some gaming and movies, so surround sound has some intrigue, but mostly it'll be for music, which is generally rock and roll although I do have eclectic taste. I like a noticeable and quality bass, but don't need crazy beats and the thumping effect. It would be nice if there was an option to add a mic later. Mostly plugged into the pc (i3 3200 with B75 motherboard, Realtek audio) but some ipod as well. So no amp or sound card involved ATM.

Not really concerned with open vs. closed (i guess closed but i'm FAR more interested in the audio quality). I am hoping some people can post with the differences between these models both in terms of features and in terms of audio quality.

Did a bunch of research, and narrowed down the lower cost options (approx. $36-$43) to these (I am located in Canada):

Sennheiser HD 201
Sennheiser HD 202
MEElectronics HT-21
Panasonic HTX7
Sony XB600 (currently on sale locally for $49)

But, I am tempted by the very enthusiastic reviews of the Grado SR60i and SR80i that I have read. So I am also keeping the option open on spending a bit more on one of these (lowest price available right now listed).

ST60i - 99
SR80i  - 129
Creative Aurvana - 87
Sennheiser PX 100/11 - 74

Which one should I get? Thanks in advance for your help.

Out of the ones you listed, I would get the HTX7, but, if I may, I feel that the Panasonic HTF600 would be a much better option overall.

For the more pricy ones you listed, the Creative Aurvana Live and SR80i would be prime choices.

Also, I would take a look at the Superlux 668B. It's basically in the middle of your two price ranges, costing around $50-$55

Don't know first hand about the cans listed the first paragraph, but agree about those listed in the second and third paragraphs.  Beware that none of these three is a bass heavy can.

Jan 18, 2013 at 1:43 AM Post #23,538 of 29,490
Hi. I was browsing the web for some information on the hifiman he-400s I ordered when I came across this website. These are my first pair of high end headphones I have ever used. I upgraded from my Logitech G35 gaming headsets, which were my be-all kind of purposeful headsets. I have my he-400s plugged into a schiit modi DAC. I did not order an amplifier with these, and I understand it's not completely necessary.

Admittedly, when I got myself into hi-fi headphones, I had no idea what I was getting myself into. I find it difficult to tell the difference between my old headphones and these new ones. My old ones are definitely louder. I have downloaded a fair amount of flac file in preparation for these headphones, and I have been listening to flac file since they arrived. Unfortunately, I don't understand where the difference I'm supposed to be hearing is. I listen to mostly death metal, thrash metal, black metal. I guess I'm just a bit disappointed, because I don't feel like I hear 400 dollars worth of difference compared to my headphones.

Is there anyone in this audio community that could answer some of my questions; are these headphones necessary and worth keeping, or should I return them since I can't really tell a difference? I realize that that's entirely preference, but I feel like I'd be more comfortable if I understood a bit more about these headphones. - Are these the right type of headphones for the type of music I listen to? - Should I be hearing a difference between these and my old ones? - Do I need and amp? - Could I get better, more suitable headphones for my budget of 500 dollars? 

I really didn't notice that the headphones feel too heavy or something, they actually feel quite comfortable.

Jan 18, 2013 at 1:44 AM Post #23,539 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi, looking to buy my first decent audio setup.

I am looking to get a pair of Audeze LCD2s, a Schiit Lyr and a Schiit Bifrost.

First question is what tubes should I get for the Lyr?

Secondly, if I am in Australia do i select 230v for the Schiit items?

Thirdly, To connect my PC to the Bifrost should I use an optical cable from my motherboard or a coaxial cable from my soundcard?

And any other tips for my setup would be appreciated. (to make it easier or to make it sound better)

For what works best with the LCD-2, you should check out its appreciation thread.

Jan 18, 2013 at 1:53 AM Post #23,540 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi. I was browsing the web for some information on the hifiman he-400s I ordered when I came across this website. These are my first pair of high end headphones I have ever used. I upgraded from my Logitech G35 gaming headsets, which were my be-all kind of purposeful headsets. I have my he-400s plugged into a schiit modi DAC. I did not order an amplifier with these, and I understand it's not completely necessary.

Admittedly, when I got myself into hi-fi headphones, I had no idea what I was getting myself into. I find it difficult to tell the difference between my old headphones and these new ones. My old ones are definitely louder. I have downloaded a fair amount of flac file in preparation for these headphones, and I have been listening to flac file since they arrived. Unfortunately, I don't understand where the difference I'm supposed to be hearing is. I listen to mostly death metal, thrash metal, black metal. I guess I'm just a bit disappointed, because I don't feel like I hear 400 dollars worth of difference compared to my headphones.

Is there anyone in this audio community that could answer some of my questions; are these headphones necessary and worth keeping, or should I return them since I can't really tell a difference? I realize that that's entirely preference, but I feel like I'd be more comfortable if I understood a bit more about these headphones. - Are these the right type of headphones for the type of music I listen to? - Should I be hearing a difference between these and my old ones? - Do I need and amp? - Could I get better, more suitable headphones for my budget of 500 dollars? 

I really didn't notice that the headphones feel too heavy or something, they actually feel quite comfortable.

I don't believe that you directly said what you are using to power the HE-400, but reading between the lines, it appears that you are using computer on board audio.  Based on the specs of the HE-400 (especially its senativity rating and having the HE-500), I don't think these cans will perform very well without a decent amp.  When you hear them from a good and powerful enough upstream, you'll be able to answer the rest of your questions by using your ears. 

Jan 18, 2013 at 1:58 AM Post #23,541 of 29,490
Would a Audio Technica ATH-AD900 headphone be a significant upgrade from a worn Logitech G35 (worn after only 8 or so months)? Lately they have become to feel really heavy (350-400g) and the layer of fabric between my ear and the headset is worn off entirely. I have been looking at extensive reviews and opinions, and I am thinking a AD-900 with a Creative Xi-Fi XtremeGamer sound card (I do play alot of games and listen to soundtracks). The soundstage seems about right for me (MASSIVE), which combined with CMSS-3D should work well. I am just not sure how much of an upgrade it would be.

Jan 18, 2013 at 2:08 AM Post #23,542 of 29,490
Quote:
Would a Audio Technica ATH-AD900 headphone be a significant upgrade from a worn Logitech G35 (worn after only 8 or so months)? Lately they have become to feel really heavy (350-400g) and the layer of fabric between my ear and the headset is worn off entirely. I have been looking at extensive reviews and opinions, and I am thinking a AD-900 with a Creative Xi-Fi XtremeGamer sound card (I do play alot of games and listen to soundtracks). The soundstage seems about right for me (MASSIVE), which combined with CMSS-3D should work well. I am just not sure how much of an upgrade it would be.

I'm pretty sure most people at Head-fi don't have much experience with gaming headsets... (please correct me if I'm wrong) but the AD900 is one of the most respected open headphones for the money. They're very bass light and thin-sounding, so not the most suited for all music genres. David Mahler rated them A+ in his flagship comparison review though, and praised them for being incredible for classical. They should also be very good for gaming.

So, as long as you've done your research and know what kind of sound you'll get from them, yes they should be a significant upgrade to the Logitech's.

Jan 18, 2013 at 2:28 AM Post #23,543 of 29,490
As another rookie who is clueless about Headphones I'm looking for a pair that won't require an amp and that will provide decent quality out of an iPod or laptop. (unfortunately I'm in res so I can't have an amp). I have about $300 to spend, unfortunately I'm only looking at Beyers and Sennheiser as I'm in RSA. I'm not top phased whether they leak noise or not as they won't be used all that often whilst n public areas. Preferably noise canceling though. I listen to a lot of trance, dub, D 'n B, house as well as 70's rock and pop. I apologize for my ignorance, just looking for quality advice from other users. Many thanks!

Jan 18, 2013 at 2:35 AM Post #23,544 of 29,490
I don't believe that you directly said what you are using to power the HE-400, but reading between the lines, it appears that you are using computer on board audio.  Based on the specs of the HE-400 (especially its senativity rating and having the HE-500), I don't think these cans will perform very well without a decent amp.  When you hear them from a good and powerful enough upstream, you'll be able to answer the rest of your questions by using your ears. 

I should have answered the same thing with another question what's the previous pair before HE-400.

Jan 18, 2013 at 3:42 AM Post #23,545 of 29,490
Quote:

Interesting. Out of the low-end options listed, the Panasonic HTX7 was at the bottom of my list, but I will bump it up and take a look at the HTF600 and Superlux 668B. If I end up selecting one of the cheaper models, I will probably get it right away. If I choose a more expensive option, I might just wait a bit and keep an eye out for sales. I really feel like taking the plunge now though, have been very close to just getting the HD 201. I've owned mostly Sony and Panasonic stuff so I kind of feel like trying something different. Please feel free to post if you have any further thoughts on why you prefer the models mentioned over the others. It's been really tough whittling down this list, there are many other interesting options including several AudioTechnica models.

I may try to stretch out the budget for the SR60i, that much more to move up to the SR80i. Do you feel that the difference between the SR80i and the $40-$50 models is significant enough to be worth just waiting a bit longer? Also, there's one site offering the Aurvana for quite a bit lower than elsewhere, and it's tempting.

Reading some reviews, and the Superlux 668B does look like a serious contender.

Jan 18, 2013 at 5:31 AM Post #23,546 of 29,490
Quote:
As another rookie who is clueless about Headphones I'm looking for a pair that won't require an amp and that will provide decent quality out of an iPod or laptop. (unfortunately I'm in res so I can't have an amp). I have about $300 to spend, unfortunately I'm only looking at Beyers and Sennheiser as I'm in RSA. I'm not top phased whether they leak noise or not as they won't be used all that often whilst n public areas. Preferably noise canceling though. I listen to a lot of trance, dub, D 'n B, house as well as 70's rock and pop. I apologize for my ignorance, just looking for quality advice from other users. Many thanks!

Can't recommend any active noise cancelling cans, especially from Beyer or Senn.  They cost a great deal and don't deliver in the sound department.

Beyond that your post points to cans that are very efficient and that are closed and possibly portable.  You need decent bass but also balance.  That (based on U.S. pricing) leads to the Beyerdynamic Tesla DT 1350, Senn Amperior (maybe refurbished by Senn) or the Senn HD25-1-II.

Jan 18, 2013 at 9:54 AM Post #23,547 of 29,490
Hi all,

I'm looking for a set of headphones for my commute / general listening. I'm looking to spend around $150, however the catch is I don't want to have extra bulk, so I will be driving them directly from my iPhone (4S, if that makes a difference). I'd prefer on-ear rather than over due to the sweat, but isolation is important to me. I listen to soft rock, acoustic music, alternative rock, jazz, and the occasional dance track, heavy rock and metal, so I'm thinking definition and not super bass-heavy is what I'm after. I'm not too worried if they fold or not, as long as they are relatively durable.

In summary, priorities are as follows:
  1. Sound quality driven from iPhone
  2. In-line mic (will recable if required)
  3. Isolation (Passive)
  4. On-ear and/or relatively light-weight
  5. Durability

Current options are:
  1. Philips Downtown (AU$130)
  2. Philips Uptown (AU$170)
  3. PX200-11i (AU$150)
  4. ATH-M50 (AU$160) - would recable if necessary
  5. ATH-ES7 (AU$125) - as above
  6. ATH-AD700 (AU$144) - as above
  7. SRH440/840 (AU$105/180)
  8. Grado SR80i (AU$130)
  9. AKG K451 (AU$145)

Any other options are welcome!

Jan 18, 2013 at 10:12 AM Post #23,548 of 29,490
Hello. I recently purchased a pair of hifiman he-400s and a schiit audio modi DAC on a budget of 500 dollars. When I ordered this combination, it seemed like I was making the perfect decision. However, I didn't notice a comparable difference between my old headphones, or any headphones I own for that matter (I only used the logitech G35 before). The mistake I think I made is that I am not using an amplifier. Although I have few replies to go off of, it seems the majority of people here say this is my problem. It's starting to become apparent that these aren't the headphones for me, since I'm not able to spend more than my budget of 500 dollars on an amplifier. Is there a more suitable setup than this for my price range? It's going to be mostly used for listening to metal.

Jan 18, 2013 at 11:01 AM Post #23,549 of 29,490
Quote:

If you're looking for a comfortable and spacious stage, AD900 will fit you. Never tried the Logitech

Jan 18, 2013 at 12:15 PM Post #23,550 of 29,490
I was thinking, maybe high end headphones aren't for me. I discovered that perhaps with metal (my main choice of music) the music isn't made with quality sounding production. Headphones like these he400s could actually make the music sound worse than my old beater headphones because they make flaws in production stand out. That being said, would high end headphones still be for me? Maybe high end headphones aren't for everyone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back