++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jan 14, 2013 at 2:31 PM Post #23,327 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
I'd like to but your preferred sound signature and mine don't overlap much.  I have limited experience, knowledge and interest in most bass heavy cans.

Well you're the only one that seems to be active here, so really anything you'll say will help me greatly. Besides, got none else to ask.

Since you asked for it...  A basshead for outside use should select one of the V-Modas.  Be aware that some have comfort issues with them.

Jan 14, 2013 at 2:33 PM Post #23,328 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi people I´m new here but Ive been following the posts in this forum for a long time now. So at first a big thank you to everyone here for all the good information and interesting news etc.

I currently own Sennheiser HD 650, IE 80 and Koss Porta Pro. I had the Shure SHR 1840, Sennheiser HD 598 and Akg k 700.

Now to my issue: I wanna upgrade my hd 650 to either the  HD 700 or  HD 800 (all ready read this http://www.head-fi.org/t/612250/headphone-comparison-sennheiser-hd-600-hd-700-hd-800-hd-25-1-and-the-amperior-audio-technica-ath-m50s-audeze-lcd-2-rev-2-and-the-lcd-3 REALLY HELPFULL and the "battle of the flagships" but the opinions are quite different!!)
So I'm now a little bit confused which one to take. Some say 800 some 700 (sennheiser customer service guy told me he likes the 700 much more)

The music I listen to would be mostly rock, metal, ska and pop. just some examples: The Used, the fray, a.c. Newman, soilwork, alter bridge, the cab, disturbed, less than jake, five iron frenzy, and MANY more.
My Audio source is a Colorfly C4 Player with music from CDs converted to WAV/Flac by EAC.

So I would really appreciate your opinions on this matter! THX!

You probably will get more and better answers in the Summit-Fi section of the forum.

Jan 14, 2013 at 2:39 PM Post #23,329 of 29,490
Quote:
What is the difference between the Denon D7100 and D600? I found the D7100 for $800 on Headroom so is it worth spending the extra money (I limited my budget to $500 but if it is worth it I can increase my budget because it looks amazing)?
Is the D600 worth the money?
How much better than the custom one pro are they?
What other headphones are good in this category?
By the way, I am downgrading from the LCD3 which I love to death but have to sell because I need the money for university accommodation so I am looking for closed headphones that have a similar sound signature to the LCD3, I head the Denon are even more fun. What else is there for about $500? I prefer it to be very durable btw.

Comparing any of the new Denons to the LCD-3 is...well...odd.  Let's just say they are not in the same league...or maybe even in the same sport.

With the loss of D5000 & D7000, there are few good choices left at that price point.  Don't know if they are your cup of tea, but you may want to check out the ATH-W1000X, which currently are $450 at Amazon.

Jan 14, 2013 at 2:42 PM Post #23,330 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey guys, I recently purchased Astro A40s but due to them having lots of errors with the audio dropping out, I have decided that I am just going to buy a pair of headphones. I would like them for gaming but at the same time I want good music quality. I was thinking of Beats but people say they are garbage and I started hearing of headphones such as Sennheiser and other brands. I listen to lots of Kid Cudi, some Drake, hip hop, rap, and rock. I would like some decent bass but not too heavily to where its annoying. I would like to be able to know the bass is present with some thump but not too much as I said. I was looking at the Sennheiser HD 598, it doesn't have to necessarily be the Sennheiser brand either. I would mostly use them here at home so it doesn't really have to be portable.. If you guys could give the best I can possibly get it would be appreciated. I have $250 to spend. Maybe $300 at most as I plan on buying an Audio Technica AT2020 Condenser microphone to chat. Another quick question is if that's even possible to use the AT2020s as a mic? With any type of adapters?

What equipment will be powering these cans?  Will you be using an amp?

What is the format of your music and other sounds you will putting into these cans?

Describe the sound signature that you are seeking?

Jan 14, 2013 at 3:05 PM Post #23,331 of 29,490
Hey KG Jag, I just have one last question. I've been reading about using burn-in on new headphones (such as the FAQ here and also some other pages) and was just wondering if you did it for your pair of KNS 8400? If so, which method did you use? I found a method where they provide a file to play for 4-5 hours a day for about 5 days (www.jlabaudio.com/burn.php). I also heard about an app called Burn LR. What do you think?

Jan 14, 2013 at 3:34 PM Post #23,332 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey guys, for outside use for a basshead, ampless, what is the better?
AKG K167
V-Moda M50
V-moda LP2
ATH M50 ( Can get an amp/dac, namely the E7 )
DT770 80 ohm
HD 598
Source is a phone.

V-MODA M-80 is balanced-sounding so it's probably not a basshead's favourite. The LP or LP2 is much more bass-oriented so that might be what you're looking for if you're only looking for bass.
ATH-M50 is more like the M-80 than the LP/LP2 so it probably won't satisfy a basshead's needs. It does have a slight emphasis on bass though.
I can't comment on the K167 since I haven't heard them before, but initial reviews are pretty positive; likewise for the DT770.

For ~$200 you might also want to take a look at the Phiaton MS400. I was recommended that in my early days here on Head-Fi. That or an Ultrasone HFI-580 or HFI-780.

Jan 14, 2013 at 5:52 PM Post #23,333 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey KG Jag, I just have one last question. I've been reading about using burn-in on new headphones (such as the FAQ here and also some other pages) and was just wondering if you did it for your pair of KNS 8400? If so, which method did you use? I found a method where they provide a file to play for 4-5 hours a day for about 5 days (www.jlabaudio.com/burn.php). I also heard about an app called Burn LR. What do you think?

I just play my new cans continuously, usually for three to seven days, at moderately loud volume, usually using a HD radio station (if available).  I periodically monitor them while they are "curing" and often pull some music and just listen to them as I would any other can. 

Some think burn in is a waste of time.

Some believe in special procedures and using special tracks or white/pink noise.

Some may put them under crystals for all I know.

What I can report using my simple method is that it appears to do the job.  What this means is that some cans will sound significantly different after burn in. Most will sound a bit different.  Some won't sound different at all.  Even cans of the same make and model con sometimes fall into different categories of results, as described in the previous sentence.

Jan 14, 2013 at 6:22 PM Post #23,334 of 29,490
Quote:
I just play my new cans continuously, usually for three to seven days, at moderately loud volume, usually using a HD radio station (if available).  I periodically monitor them while they are "curing" and often pull some music and just listen to them as I would any other can. 

Some believe in special procedures and using special tracks or white/pink noise.

What I can report using my simple method is that it appears to do the job.  What this means is that some cans will sound significantly different after burn in. Most will sound a bit different.  Some won't sound different at all.  Even cans of the same make and model con sometimes fall into different categories of results, as described in the previous sentence.

Cools thanks a lot man, I'll give the crystals method a try :p

Jan 14, 2013 at 6:34 PM Post #23,336 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:

"Burn-in" is highly controversial.
From what I've heard, I may have just been getting used to the headphone's sound (psychological difference). Tyll at Innerfidelity did find some measurement differences but they may have been due to different placement or things of the sort (measurable difference). Others, like yourself, have reported that it does make a difference (experimental difference). People who compare 2 headphones (one "burned-in", one new), may have received 2 headphones that differed due to quality control, so such findings are always "meh" to me.

I let my headphones "burn-in" with pink noise and later-on regular music despite me being a non-believer because otherwise people think you're crazy if you write a review. Why pink noise? Because if "burn-in" really exists, then exercising the driver with the whole frequency spectrum with equal power in each octave would make more sense than just exercising mostly the bass frequencies with drum-n-bass music, for example.

This may be an interesting read for you guys: http://headphonebreakin.blogspot.com/

Jan 14, 2013 at 7:11 PM Post #23,337 of 29,490
So, I'm looking for headphones $200>. I listen to a lot of electronic music, classic rock, and some hiphop. I'll also be using these for gaming. I was looking at either the DT770 or Ultrasone HFI-780, and they'll be driven by my Xonar Essence STX. Which of those two would be the better option, or would there be another even better choice.

Jan 14, 2013 at 7:20 PM Post #23,338 of 29,490
Quote:
So, I'm looking for headphones $200>. I listen to a lot of electronic music, classic rock, and some hiphop. I'll also be using these for gaming. I was looking at either the DT770 or Ultrasone HFI-780, and they'll be driven by my Xonar Essence STX. Which of those two would be the better option, or would there be another even better choice.

780's are great for the genres of music you listen to. You may want to EQ the bass up a little for some hip hop tracks but for gaming and electronica, the 780 is great! I have the DT 770's and personally wasn't impressed.

Jan 14, 2013 at 7:21 PM Post #23,339 of 29,490
I am looking for headphones to use at school for music. I really only listen to hiphop and dubstep. I am a huge basshead. I have the XB 500 but i hate the looks, they look like tires on my ears. My limit is $250 with a portable amp included. Any good bass amps? I was thinking about getting the HD 518 but i dont know if it will fit my neeeds. Thanks guys. I am trying to a pair to buy by this friday

Jan 14, 2013 at 7:29 PM Post #23,340 of 29,490
I'm not sure whether any Sennheiser would satisfy a basshead. I haven't heard the HD518 and I've read it's on the warm/bassy side, but we're still talking about the same driver that goes into the HD558... and that is hardly bassy at all.

Anyone else care to comment on the bass of the HD518?

Also, they are open, so they will leak music. Might not be the best choice for school.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back