++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jan 14, 2013 at 4:33 AM Post #23,312 of 29,490
Quote:
The Beyer 80 Ohm does not need an amp, but has inferior sound quality to the 250 (and higher) Ohm version.  That is why I can only recommend 250 and 600 Ohm versions.

The DT 990 has a different sound signature from the DT 880 and will not work well for classical music.  The 880 is the superior can in terms of accurate reproduction of music (and other sounds) as they were laid down.

Looks like the closed 8400 is your choice. 

Thanks a lot man! To be honest, I was a little hesitant when first coming to this forum since I knew nothing about this area of the tech world and was afraid people would just snob me off. But you've been more than helpful!

I've been reading some reviews for the KNS 8400 and they all seem to be comparing them to much more expensive cans (like the MMX 300 in terms of gaming, which it's supposed to be equal to and the HD 600 and HD 650 in terms of sound stage, although here they said that they're not as good, but still quite close!) which is definitely a good sign! I think I will definitely go for these now. Now I just need to find a good deal on them but might just pay CHF179 for them since on Amazon or eBay, I'd still have to pay for postage. Anyways, thanks again for your help!

Jan 14, 2013 at 5:27 AM Post #23,313 of 29,490
Quote:

Open can for Rock for around $200 I would also look at the Ultrasone HIFI 2400

http://www.amazon.com/ULTRASONE-HFI-2400-Professional-Open-Back-Headphones/dp/B002W37ESY/ref=sr_1_8?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1358134568&sr=1-8&keywords=hifi2400

Fun can

Fun and very good can I owned and liked a lot. Great for EDM , classical , R&B  , trip-hop,.. but not for rock IMO. Too relaxed and with too much laid back mids for this specif genre so vocals and guitars seem to be overwhelmed by other instruments.

Jan 14, 2013 at 7:10 AM Post #23,316 of 29,490
Hi people I´m new here but Ive been following the posts in this forum for a long time now. So at first a big thank you to everyone here for all the good information and interesting news etc.

I currently own Sennheiser HD 650, IE 80 and Koss Porta Pro. I had the Shure SHR 1840, Sennheiser HD 598 and Akg k 700.

Now to my issue: I wanna upgrade my hd 650 to either the  HD 700 or  HD 800 (all ready read this http://www.head-fi.org/t/612250/headphone-comparison-sennheiser-hd-600-hd-700-hd-800-hd-25-1-and-the-amperior-audio-technica-ath-m50s-audeze-lcd-2-rev-2-and-the-lcd-3 REALLY HELPFULL and the "battle of the flagships" but the opinions are quite different!!)
So I'm now a little bit confused which one to take. Some say 800 some 700 (sennheiser customer service guy told me he likes the 700 much more)

The music I listen to would be mostly rock, metal, ska and pop. just some examples: The Used, the fray, a.c. Newman, soilwork, alter bridge, the cab, disturbed, less than jake, five iron frenzy, and MANY more.
My Audio source is a Colorfly C4 Player with music from CDs converted to WAV/Flac by EAC.

So I would really appreciate your opinions on this matter! THX!

Jan 14, 2013 at 9:32 AM Post #23,317 of 29,490
What is the difference between the Denon D7100 and D600? I found the D7100 for $800 on Headroom so is it worth spending the extra money (I limited my budget to $500 but if it is worth it I can increase my budget because it looks amazing)?
Is the D600 worth the money?
How much better than the custom one pro are they?
What other headphones are good in this category?
By the way, I am downgrading from the LCD3 which I love to death but have to sell because I need the money for university accommodation so I am looking for closed headphones that have a similar sound signature to the LCD3, I head the Denon are even more fun. What else is there for about $500? I prefer it to be very durable btw.

Jan 14, 2013 at 10:10 AM Post #23,318 of 29,490
Quote:
Now to my issue: I wanna upgrade my hd 650 to either the  HD 700 or  HD 800 (all ready read this http://www.head-fi.org/t/612250/headphone-comparison-sennheiser-hd-600-hd-700-hd-800-hd-25-1-and-the-amperior-audio-technica-ath-m50s-audeze-lcd-2-rev-2-and-the-lcd-3 REALLY HELPFULL and the "battle of the flagships" but the opinions are quite different!!)
So I'm now a little bit confused which one to take. Some say 800 some 700 (sennheiser customer service guy told me he likes the 700 much more)

For me the hd800 is about technical achievement. They have special ring drivers supposed to offer better fidelity, and special metal mesh on the sides  to minimize resonances and better "opening". You don't have a ring driver with the hd700. I  don't have the supposed best source for the hd800, but the thing I  enjoy the most is first their "perfect" soundstage, and their  clean sound.
I think most people would like the bass of hd800 to  be a bit more emphasized, and the high a bit easier on ear ( some people are even complaining of sibilance). Although you'd see the fans defending that with the right source they sound fine (similar story to k701). I think the hd800 is best for classical.

Jan 14, 2013 at 10:16 AM Post #23,319 of 29,490
Hey guys, I recently purchased Astro A40s but due to them having lots of errors with the audio dropping out, I have decided that I am just going to buy a pair of headphones. I would like them for gaming but at the same time I want good music quality. I was thinking of Beats but people say they are garbage and I started hearing of headphones such as Sennheiser and other brands. I listen to lots of Kid Cudi, some Drake, hip hop, rap, and rock. I would like some decent bass but not too heavily to where its annoying. I would like to be able to know the bass is present with some thump but not too much as I said. I was looking at the Sennheiser HD 598, it doesn't have to necessarily be the Sennheiser brand either. I would mostly use them here at home so it doesn't really have to be portable.. If you guys could give the best I can possibly get it would be appreciated. I have $250 to spend. Maybe $300 at most as I plan on buying an Audio Technica AT2020 Condenser microphone to chat. Another quick question is if that's even possible to use the AT2020s as a mic? With any type of adapters?

Jan 14, 2013 at 10:26 AM Post #23,320 of 29,490
For me the hd800 is about technical achievement. They have special ring drivers supposed to offer better fidelity, and special metal mesh on the sides  to minimize resonances and better "opening". You don't have a ring driver with the hd700. I  don't have the supposed best source for the hd800, but the thing I  enjoy the most is first their "perfect" soundstage, and their  clean sound.
I think most people would like the bass of hd800 to  be a bit more emphasized, and the high a bit easier on ear ( some people are even complaining of sibilance). Although you'd see the fans defending that with the right source they sound fine (similar story to k701). I think the hd800 is best for classical.

ok thank you very much so far. I´m really not listening to that much classical music and heard that the 700 would be better for rock, metal and especially Pop music (in contrast to the jazz and classical preferation of the 800)

Jan 14, 2013 at 10:37 AM Post #23,321 of 29,490
Quote:

ok thank you very much so far. I´m really not listening to that much classical music and heard that the 700 would be better for rock, metal and especially Pop music (in contrast to the jazz and classical preferation of the 800)

yeah, but the big question is if you'd prefer the hd700 to the hd650, because not everyone have same "taste".
Some people even bashed the hd700 (search for the "peaks" and purrin related thread) . The best would be to listen them before buying them.
At least with the hd800 you have the warranty of a "technical achievement" (regardless of your enjoyment
biggrin.gif
).

Jan 14, 2013 at 12:36 PM Post #23,324 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey guys, for outside use for a basshead, ampless, what is the better?
AKG K167
V-Moda M50
V-moda LP2
ATH M50 ( Can get an amp/dac, namely the E7 )
DT770 80 ohm
HD 598
Source is a phone.

HD 598 and akg has not that powerfull bass. I dont know the others. I would go with the new denon models if u want heavy bass. I tried the "urban raver" its like beats with better sound quality.

Jan 14, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #23,325 of 29,490
Quote:
yeah, but the big question is if you'd prefer the hd700 to the hd650, because not everyone have same "taste".
Some people even bashed the hd700 (search for the "peaks" and purrin related thread) . The best would be to listen them before buying them.
At least with the hd800 you have the warranty of a "technical achievement" (regardless of your enjoyment
biggrin.gif
).

ok than ill just have to try the 700 in comparison to my 650 and see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back