++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jan 13, 2013 at 3:15 AM Post #23,236 of 29,490
Hi guys, first post here for me!

I'm a big audio appreciater like you guys! I have 3 Dr Dre Beats headphones, and i absolutely love them!

HAHAHA JUST KIDDING!

OK. Currently my best cans are a set of modded HD280s that I've had for 4-5 years now. I love them. I have a few other cans around, some of them from much research and deliberation stalking this forum.

My Phillips HP250 died some weeks ago, and I threw them out. They weren't the best headphones in terms of quality. But for what they were, I really enjoyed the type of very thick padded/warm sound the provided. My replacement for them, I want a simliar sound. It was almost like listening to a tube amp (but obviously not exactly the same). The headphones should deliver the full audio spectrum and be reasonably balanced (not too much V EQ). I also liked the fact that they were OPEN, so they produced a wide soundstage and were likely easier to engineer.

The way the HP250s generated that sort of unique sound/distortion was by having a small diaphragm for sound, and having that sound resonate through a very large chamber. THis produced a nice sound. I always have the modded HD280s for accuracy and pure clarity. THe HP250s were certainly not clear.

Currently, I've been looking at:

phillips HP 890 (now unabailble)
Phillips HP 910... I hope these run on the same principle as the old HP250s.
JVC HARX 700
JVC HARX 900

My focus is on value for money, and I want headphones in a similiar price range as the ones listed above... unless there's other very good value for money suggestions. I've heard a LOT of other headphones. I know people will suggest the ATH-700. They were nice in their padding and thicknes, but a little too bright /warm (emphasis the higher end of the mids). Also, they had virtually no bass. Hence, I don't like them for their lack of representation of the full spectrum.

Jan 13, 2013 at 3:21 AM Post #23,238 of 29,490
Quote:
IS DENON D7100 WORTH THE MONEY? IS IT DURABLE? HOW MUCH IS THE WARRANTY? I SAW IT TODAY AND IT IS AMAZING!!!
IS THE SENNHEISER MOMENTUM A GOOD COLSED HEADPHONE?

Most seem to conclude that the D7100 step down form the old D7000.  Have you read the reviews here?

http://www.head-fi.org/products/denon-ah-d7100-music-maniac

The Momentum seems to be better received:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/sennheiser-momentum

Still--all in all the answers will turn in large part on your taste in sound signature; your equipment that will drive them; your budget and other personal factors.

Jan 13, 2013 at 3:28 AM Post #23,239 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
Nope-even used it will be out of that price range, as likely will be the DT 770--at least based on U.S. pricing.

Amazon has the dt770 pro 80 at $179 right now. $135 used. I have an e7, so I'm sure I can drive that well enough.

Wouldn't the K550s sound better than the dt770s though.

That depends. 

The DT 770 (in all versions) is essentially a basshead lite can with very recessed mids.  Further the easier to drive 80 Ohm version is sonically inferior to less efficient versions.

On the other hand the 550 is a quality neutral-ish closed can, if you can get a good seal with it.  Facial hair and glass can cause problems with that seal and can negatively affect its sound.

Jan 13, 2013 at 3:36 AM Post #23,240 of 29,490
That depends. 

The DT 770 (in all versions) is essentially a basshead lite can with very recessed mids.  Further the easier to drive 80 Ohm version is sonically inferior to less efficient versions.

On the other hand the 550 is a quality neutral-ish closed can, if you can get a good seal with it.  Facial hair and glass can cause problems with that seal and can negatively affect its sound.

So, I'd need to get the 250ohm version?

And I don't have facial hair or wear glasses, so that shouldn't be a problem. My main concern is how they'll sound with my music. I'm not really a basshead, and I prefer my vocals to be right up front with impact, which goes well with the genre of music I listen to. Trying to find a headphone that does this is where I keep finding problems.

Jan 13, 2013 at 3:40 AM Post #23,241 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
That depends. 

So, I'd need to get the 250ohm version?

And I don't have facial hair or wear glasses, so that shouldn't be a problem. My main concern is how they'll sound with my music. I'm not really a basshead, and I prefer my vocals to be right up front with impact, which goes well with the genre of music I listen to. Trying to find a headphone that does this is where I keep finding problems.

I'd write off the 770.

The 550 made Tyll's Wall of Fame:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/wonderfully-competent-akg-k550-sealed-headphone

Jan 13, 2013 at 3:42 AM Post #23,242 of 29,490
Hey guys, after few weeks of lurking and researching ive come down to this: Budget is 200$
M-audio Q40
Beyer DT770
M50
V-moda M80
Sony MDR-1R
AKG not sure which model
If the price of it is less than 150, ill,be able to get the fiio E7 aswell
I prefer it to be bassy, not leaking sound, mostly outside use so isolating and most be driven easily with a phone/pc ( budget is around 200, most include shipping. Ill be able to buy an amp/dac if the headphones are under 150$)

Jan 13, 2013 at 3:47 AM Post #23,243 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey guys, after few weeks of lurking and researching ive come down to this: Budget is 200$
M-audio Q40
Beyer DT770
M50
V-moda M80
Sony MDR-1R

Are you OK with open cans (they leak sound)?

What equipment will be powering these cans?  Will you be using an amp or does it depend on the price of the cans?

Describe the sound signature that you are seeking?

If you don't know your preferred sound signature (and even if you do), what genres of music do you plan to run through these cans?

Do you plan to use them outside your home?  If so, in what way & with what equipment?

Jan 13, 2013 at 4:01 AM Post #23,245 of 29,490
Are you OK with open cans (they leak sound)?

What equipment will be powering these cans?  Will you be using an amp or does it depend on the price of the cans?

Describe the sound signature that you are seeking?

If you don't know your preferred sound signature (and even if you do), what genres of music do you plan to run through these cans?

Do you plan to use them outside your home?  If so, in what way & with what equipment?

Through a phone, budget is 200$ so if you think it would be better I can get cans for 100 and an amp for the same or up to you
I prefer warm/bassy signature with clear vocals, and listen to electronic genres like Dubstep, Psytrance DnB and so on.
Mostly outside use, preferred closed and over-ear

Jan 13, 2013 at 4:16 AM Post #23,246 of 29,490
Quote:
Most seem to conclude that the D7100 step down form the old D7000.  Have you read the reviews here?

http://www.head-fi.org/products/denon-ah-d7100-music-maniac

The Momentum seems to be better received:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/sennheiser-momentum

Still--all in all the answers will turn in large part on your taste in sound signature; your equipment that will drive them; your budget and other personal factors.

I will not get the Denon lol, too expensive and seems to be very not durable!
I will probably restrict my budge to less than $350, mey be the momentum is my best option! Is the momentum bassy? How well does it isolate?

Jan 13, 2013 at 4:24 AM Post #23,247 of 29,490
M-audio Q40
Beyer DT770
M50
V-moda M80
Sony MDR-1R

Through a phone, budget is 200$ so if you think it would be better I can get cans for 100 and an amp for the same or up to you
I prefer warm/bassy signature with clear vocals, and listen to electronic genres like Dubstep, Psytrance DnB and so on.
Mostly outside use, preferred closed and over-ear

Forgot to add that I wouldn't mind AKG, not sure which model though

Jan 13, 2013 at 4:34 AM Post #23,249 of 29,490
Quote:
Most of us don't know your local pricing and are not up for going through pages of prices.  Pick out some cans that appeal to you; that you think will work with your equipment; and that fall within your budget.  We can discuss those options with you.

I think I've narrowed it down to the DT880pro, ATH-AD900 and the AKG K242HD. I'll just quote my question again so you can see my situation.

Hey everyone, I'm looking for some recommendations for headphones around the $200-300 range.
I don't mind if they are open or closed, and I plan to use them with my computer (which has an Asus Xonar DG) or with my Cowon S9.

I generally listen to downtempo electronic (including dubstep, ambient, IDM, etc), alternative rock (similar to Radiohead), post-rock and quite a lot of hip-hop. So basically I listen fairly slow music with a lot of drums, bass, distortion and vocals.

Thanks in advance

Jan 13, 2013 at 4:42 AM Post #23,250 of 29,490
Well I'm thinking about picking up some new headphones.  

1. Budget:  $0-$1,000
  2. Source:  X-fi titanium -> Schiit Lyr
  3. Past Headphones:  DT 770 pro, Ultrasone Pro 900, AKG K702.
  4. Music Genres:  Everything.. and I do mean everything.  Though my favorite listening experieces come from EDM, jazz, reggae, ska.  I love a good song with bass in it.

I was eyeing the LCD-2 since I have read how well it performs in the bass department.  Also was thinking about the HE-400.  I read the He500 and He6 had really large head bands and I have a narrow face so that might not work for me.

Any opinions would be appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back