++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jan 12, 2013 at 7:12 PM Post #23,221 of 29,490
Quote:
I am wanting to buy a tube amp for my desktop at work.
The choices are:

Little Dot mk IV

http://www.littledot.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=820&sid=0e9d14aae3c961485bd253dd93ac13c9

The Musical Paradise mp-301 mk3

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/musical-paradise-mp-301-mk-3-vacuum-tube-integratedheadphone-amplifier-and-mp-d1-vacuum-tube

And the la figaro darkvoice 336 c
http://www.yuking09.com/336c.asp

I will mostly be using Beyerdynamic DT 1350 to listen and would like to have an amp for awhile.

I am a complete newbie to tube amps and would love to hear people's opinions and why they would choose what they recommend.

Thank you
Gary

Hopefully someone can help you.  However, this is a thread for the recommendations of full sized headphones.  Your questions is about amps for a (mostly) portable can.

Jan 12, 2013 at 7:14 PM Post #23,222 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
Since I don't know your other equipment, I was looking for things like (by way of example)--too bassy, too bright, small sound stage, too congested, etc.

I have nothing more than what I mentioned above Jag, just the HFI-780 plugged directly into my Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Zs Sound Card that is it nothing else.  I basically have no knowledge of audio this is my first piece of serious audio equipment so I don't know if it is too bassy, too bright, if the sound stage is too small or too congested (I have no prior equipment experiment to compare it to). 

I just know that I was seeking a higher level audio experience and these headphones in my book have not granted me that.  When I knew nothing about video I saw a difference when I got my new monitor, new video card, when I knew nothing about cameras I saw a difference with my camera up grade and when I upgraded from my generic computer speakers to my Coby 5.1 I heard a difference, all I know is that the difference is minimal to non-existing in my book.

The problem for those who might make recommendations to help you is that this is all quite subjective.

Jan 12, 2013 at 7:28 PM Post #23,223 of 29,490
Quote:
Yeah, not worried about bass-lightness, I'm not a basshead anyway. But yeah, I like the description of the AD2000 and it seems to fit my needs. Just wanted to make sure that it can be run at least half decently out of just a Dragonfly (which I'd say is probably just a better Fiio E10 if that's a better reference).

You'll be fine. I don't really see much of a difference in my AD1000PRM in going from my XM6 to my desktop stack. I might actually prefer the XM6 for the hardware bass boost and crossfeed adjustments.

Jan 12, 2013 at 7:29 PM Post #23,224 of 29,490
The problem for those who might make recommendations to help you is that this is all quite subjective.

Yeah I figured as much but I was hoping that fro my description of what I was interested in that would be enough to stare others in the direction of my interest, fortunately at the time the Hi-fi member who was helping me with my search had knowledge of what M-Audio AV40 I had mentioned to him that I was seeking something that sounded similar to those. On a side not I have accepted that my sound card may just not be good enough and thus causing a sort of bottle neck effect.

Jan 12, 2013 at 11:50 PM Post #23,225 of 29,490
Quote:

Yeah I figured as much but I was hoping that fro my description of what I was interested in that would be enough to stare others in the direction of my interest, fortunately at the time the Hi-fi member who was helping me with my search had knowledge of what M-Audio AV40 I had mentioned to him that I was seeking something that sounded similar to those.On a side not I have accepted that my sound card may just not be good enough and thus causing a sort of bottle neck effect.

That seems at least a little likely. It's really strange hearing you say that you don't notice any improvement at all from the HFI-780's. My old HFI-700's were the kind of headphones I would have someone listen to when I wanted to give them that "Aha!" moment as to what good sound could really be. As I mentioned earlier, let them burn in a while. Even people who don't acknowledge burn-in sometimes make an exception for Ultrasones... I think it's the titanium drivers that are finicky.

Jan 13, 2013 at 12:18 AM Post #23,226 of 29,490
i'm new at this forum and i really dont have any knowledge about headphones
i want to buy new headphone and i have interest in this headphone : superlux hd661, hd668b, hd660, sennheiser hd219, audio technica sj55, and co:caine sound clash
which one of these headphone do you recommend?
my budget is up to $50-$60, i want the one with strong bass but not too strong, i prefer not to use amp, thank you

Jan 13, 2013 at 12:40 AM Post #23,227 of 29,490
Hey everyone, I'm looking for some recommendations for headphones around the $200-300 range. For your convenience I'll probably grab them off this site: (probably the only decent headphone store in my country)

http://headphones.com.au/pbrowse?catID=1

I don't mind if they are open or closed, and I plan to use them with my computer (which has an Asus Xonar DG) or with my Cowon S9.

I generally listen to downtempo electronic (including dubstep, ambient, house etc), alternative rock (similar to Radiohead), post-rock and quite a lot of hip-hop. So basically I listen fairly slow music with a lot of drums, bass, distortion and vocals.

I've done a little bit of research and so far the AD900, K242HD and DT880pro seem to suit my needs most. But you guys know a lot more than me and that's why I'm here!

Thanks in advance

Jan 13, 2013 at 1:09 AM Post #23,228 of 29,490
Hey all, made an account years ago when I first was interested in the hobby and bought a pair of S4s (see avatar). Now, I've progressed much further with my collection, but am still skirting that mid-tier level as far as cans go.

I own a pair of HD428s and a Grado SR80, but have really wanted to step out into the next level for a while now. Unfortunately, I am on a college kid's budget so I'm sitting on a max of $200. My homework suggests that I'd be happy with either the M50 or the dt770/80 but I'm going to try and see if there's other options out there. I listen to mainly indie pop/rock (think Fun., Of Monsters and Men, or Grouplove) so if you can give me some recommendations I'd appreciate it.

Oh, one last thing. They should be closed cans since I do plan on using these around others quite often and don't want my music to be disruptive as I do tend to let the volume get away from me.

Hi again, I'm still researching this. I think I'm going to add the K550s to this list. Just curious as to them being a good fit for the type of music I listen to.

Jan 13, 2013 at 1:23 AM Post #23,229 of 29,490
Quote:
That seems at least a little likely. It's really strange hearing you say that you don't notice any improvement at all from the HFI-780's. My old HFI-700's were the kind of headphones I would have someone listen to when I wanted to give them that "Aha!" moment as to what good sound could really be. As I mentioned earlier, let them burn in a while. Even people who don't acknowledge burn-in sometimes make an exception for Ultrasones... I think it's the titanium drivers that are finicky.

Nah I never stated that I didn't notice "any difference" I stated that the difference is "hardly noticeable" to point of not even mentioning, I noticed is very minor and certainly not worth the price tag on these headphones, if I knew that an Amp was so monumental to the performance of cans I would have just bought a USD100 Headphone and spend another USD100 on a Amp, DAC/Amp or a new sound card, I really cannot describe how disappointed I am.  Don't get me wrong they are not bad, they are just totally not what I expected all I can say for them is that they are loud, I kinda have sensitive hears so to me they are really loud spend most of my time a below 50% volume at times I may go down to around 20-30% give or take but that is about it.

Good noise cancellation?  Yes
Loud? Yes
Otherwise from that I haven noticed nothing that stands out, it is kinda unfortunate but in my country I know only of one store than offers the option to listen to cans and their selection is very small perhaps around 10 or so cans total and the sad thing is price and performance wise they are all below HFI-780, I will try to go there next week and listen to some of them to see if there is a difference.

Jan 13, 2013 at 2:00 AM Post #23,230 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
Hey all, made an account years ago when I first was interested in the hobby and bought a pair of S4s (see avatar). Now, I've progressed much further with my collection, but am still skirting that mid-tier level as far as cans go.

I own a pair of HD428s and a Grado SR80, but have really wanted to step out into the next level for a while now. Unfortunately, I am on a college kid's budget so I'm sitting on a max of $200. My homework suggests that I'd be happy with either the M50 or the dt770/80 but I'm going to try and see if there's other options out there. I listen to mainly indie pop/rock (think Fun., Of Monsters and Men, or Grouplove) so if you can give me some recommendations I'd appreciate it.

Oh, one last thing. They should be closed cans since I do plan on using these around others quite often and don't want my music to be disruptive as I do tend to let the volume get away from me.

Hi again, I'm still researching this. I think I'm going to add the K550s to this list. Just curious as to them being a good fit for the type of music I listen to.

While your tastes and preferences may lead you in another direction, the objectively best cans on your list are the Beyer DT 880 (+/- Pro).  See:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-57-headphones-compared-update-hifiman-he-400-added-12-24-12#user_DT880

Jan 13, 2013 at 2:08 AM Post #23,231 of 29,490
While your tastes and preferences may lead you in another direction, the objectively best cans on your list are the Beyer DT 880 (+/- Pro).  See:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-57-headphones-compared-update-hifiman-he-400-added-12-24-12#user_DT880

I'm not sure I would want the 880s, primarily because I don't have an amp that can drive them to their full potential. If there's a combo out there that I can get the 880s and a decent amp for ~$200, let me know though.

Jan 13, 2013 at 2:57 AM Post #23,232 of 29,490
[size=small] Sorry, I posted this in the incorrect place.  Then I saw here to post for recommendations.  [/size]

[size=small]  [/size]

[size=small]  [/size]

[size=small] I need your help.  I am looking to buy a new set of cans to upgrade my Sennheiser 380s.  In my price range, after hours upon hours on these forums, I have identified a few headphones and would like your opinion on which ones to get. The ones I identified were the Beyerdynamic DT 880 (250 ohms),  The Beyerdynamic DT990 (250 Ohms), or the AKG K 701/2.   I am open to anything else you may recommend. My budget pretty much caps at $300.00[/size]

[size=small]  [/size]

[size=small] Budget: 250-300$[/size]

[size=small] Source: HT Omega Claro Halo[/size]

[size=small] Isolation: Open or semi Open[/size]

[size=small] Type: Full Sized[/size]

[size=small] Tonality: Prefer Highs, Mids, not too much of a bass head[/size]

[size=small] Past Headphones: Sennheiser 280 Pro, then upgraded to 380 Pro.[/size]

[size=small] Music: Tool, Metallica, Chili Peppers, APC[/size]

[size=small] Mainly looking for an upgrade from my Sennheiser 380s. The clamping force is a little much for long term listening. I mainly listen to music while working and do the occasional gaming. [/size]

[size=small]  [/size]

[size=small] Thanks again![/size]

Jan 13, 2013 at 3:06 AM Post #23,233 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:

I'm not sure I would want the 880s, primarily because I don't have an amp that can drive them to their full potential. If there's a combo out there that I can get the 880s and a decent amp for ~$200, let me know though.

Nope-even used it will be out of that price range, as likely will be the DT 770--at least based on U.S. pricing.

Jan 13, 2013 at 3:12 AM Post #23,235 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey everyone, I'm looking for some recommendations for headphones around the $200-300 range. For your convenience I'll probably grab them off this site: (probably the only decent headphone store in my country)

http://headphones.com.au/pbrowse?catID=1

I don't mind if they are open or closed, and I plan to use them with my computer (which has an Asus Xonar DG) or with my Cowon S9.

I generally listen to downtempo electronic (including dubstep, ambient, house etc), alternative rock (similar to Radiohead), post-rock and quite a lot of hip-hop. So basically I listen fairly slow music with a lot of drums, bass, distortion and vocals.

I've done a little bit of research and so far the AD900, K242HD and DT880pro seem to suit my needs most. But you guys know a lot more than me and that's why I'm here!

Thanks in advance

Most of us don't know your local pricing and are not up for going through pages of prices.  Pick out some cans that appeal to you; that you think will work with your equipment; and that fall within your budget.  We can discuss those options with you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back