++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jan 11, 2013 at 2:01 AM Post #23,161 of 29,490
Ok, so I'm trying to find some things for a friend (1 earphone, 1 headphone). I would like to have an answer ASAP to start the ordering process soon.

The three big criteria are:
  • Price <$100 USD in total, no more please
  • Decent sound quality (she listens to a wide variety of music genres)
  • Durable

I was thinking the Shure SRH440, JVC HAS400B Carbon Nanotube, Creative Aurvana Live!, or Sennheiser HD201 or 201 for headphones; Monoprice 8320, this one on-sale on Groupon, or one of MEElectronics's earphones.

I'm not really an expert with sub $100 headphones/earphones, so hopefully you guys can help me recommend a combination.

Thank you so much in advance.

Might I suggest the Sennheiser HD 428? It's a good headphone in the sub-$100 range. Everything's fairly balanced across the board. The bass extends low and sounds tight and controlled across the board, not really bloated or overpowering. The mids separate really well, with an emphasis on vocals. Vocal orientated songs really pop with these. Highs are handled well. Not spectacular, but they're capable and more than adequete for less than $100. I find them to be a really fun headphone and your friend should really enjoy them.

Jan 11, 2013 at 3:50 AM Post #23,162 of 29,490
Quote:
I often see this comment by a lot of people around here "they sound good for closed cans".  Is it that Open Headphones usually have better sound quality or sound better than Closed Headphones?

Yes...but...their are some very good closed cans, like the D5000 & D7000 and SRH 940. 

At the same price point closed cans generally can/will give you more bass at the same price point.  For a big part of the current headphone demographic that is important.

Jan 11, 2013 at 3:52 AM Post #23,163 of 29,490
Quote:
Ok, so I'm trying to find some things for a friend (1 earphone, 1 headphone). I would like to have an answer ASAP to start the ordering process soon.

The three big criteria are:
  1. Price <$100 USD in total, no more please
  2. Decent sound quality (she listens to a wide variety of music genres)
  3. Durable

I was thinking the Shure SRH440, JVC HAS400B Carbon Nanotube, Creative Aurvana Live!, or Sennheiser HD201 or 201 for headphones; Monoprice 8320, this one on-sale on Groupon, or one of MEElectronics's earphones.

I'm not really an expert with sub $100 headphones/earphones, so hopefully you guys can help me recommend a combination.

Thank you so much in advance.

At under $100, the CAL! and SRH 440 are good choices.  The stock removable cable on the Shure is a bit long for portable use, if that is a factor.

Jan 11, 2013 at 4:27 AM Post #23,164 of 29,490
All are good.  The DT 880 is the best.  The other two cost less.  It just depends on what flavor you prefer and the size of your budget.  Two of the three as detailed here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-57-headphones-compared-update-hifiman-he-400-added-12-24-12

Thank you for the link.
I find it very helpful. I'm reading to find a pair with large sound stage, airy and natural signature, good separation. I hope that those things are not too greedy.:D

Jan 11, 2013 at 4:30 AM Post #23,165 of 29,490
Quote:
The Sennheiser HD25-1 II (under $200 in the U.S.) is a very good choice.  Less expensive here also also good are the siblings Sony DRZX701IP Monitor Headphones for iPhone and Sony MDR-ZX700.

Quote:
"HD 25-SP II - The cheap version of the HD 25, without split headband; 85 Ohm impedance; different driver. This headphone sounds significantly different and not as good, and is not recommended."  Link :

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/sennheiser-hd-25-1-ii-and-adidas-original-hd-25

Thanks for the info, so the SP II is to be avoided. I found the 25-1 II at 148 euros so it's in my budget ! I will test it along the fidelio m1 and will buy the one I prefer. Thank you for your time !

Jan 11, 2013 at 7:02 AM Post #23,166 of 29,490
Quote:
As a general rule of thumb, yes, open cans sound better, as they can produce a better soundstage. Obviously though, if you put a $20 open can vs a $600 closed can, there won't be competition.

~Kami

So as a rule of thumb then the same price range cans the Open would usually sound better than the closed?
Quote:
Yes...but...their are some very good closed cans, like the D5000 & D7000 and SRH 940. 

At the same price point closed cans generally can/will give you more bass at the same price point.  For a big part of the current headphone demographic that is important.

Who makes the D5000 and the D7000 KG?  I am a camera person and in my world D5000 and D7000 are Nikon DSLR cameras.

Jan 11, 2013 at 9:05 AM Post #23,168 of 29,490
Quote:
So as a rule of thumb then the same price range cans the Open would usually sound better than the closed?
Who makes the D5000 and the D7000 KG?  I am a camera person and in my world D5000 and D7000 are Nikon DSLR cameras.

Open usually wins big on transient speed, soundstage size, and instrument separation, so yes. I also find them much more comfortable since closed backs cause my ears to overheat fast. In my book, even a heavy ortho like the HE-6 is more comfortable than a D7000 for this reason alone even though the D7000 is lighter and has much less clamp.

The D5000 and D7000 are two out of production Denons. They have classy wooden cups and plush pleather pads. Unfortunately, prices have gone up big since they were discontinued. They used to be $450/$700 street, but they'll cost you around $600/$900 respectively nowadays.

Jan 11, 2013 at 11:26 AM Post #23,169 of 29,490
Thanks Steve so is the sole purpose of Closed Headphones for noise cancellation and if one is not planning to use them in an area where there is noise or noise just not being a factor (in my case sometimes people may be calling me) then there are no other benefits or the closed cans serve no other purpose?  

Jan 11, 2013 at 11:55 AM Post #23,170 of 29,490
Quote:
Thanks Steve so is the sole purpose of Closed Headphones for noise cancellation and if one is not planning to use them in an area where there is noise or noise just not being a factor (in my case sometimes people may be calling me) then there are no other benefits or the closed cans serve no other purpose?  

The comfort is a YMMV thing. We all have different tolerances for weight, clamp, and temperature.

Closed backs have more bass quantity than open dynamics, but quality (layering and detail) is debatable and I think orthos can compete with closed backs even in the quantity aspect. 

Jan 11, 2013 at 12:17 PM Post #23,171 of 29,490
Quote:

The comfort is a YMMV thing. We all have different tolerances for weight, clamp, and temperature.

Closed backs have more bass quantity than open dynamics, but quality (layering and detail) is debatable and I think orthos can compete with closed backs even in the quantity aspect. 

YMMV = ?
I am not a basehead so if separate from sound cancellation all Closed cans will grant me is superior base then I can pass on that, I am far more interested in sound quality more accurately sound accuracy I like to clearly hear my low, mids and highs in most cases I just hear lows and vocals which leaves me feeling less than fulfill.

Jan 11, 2013 at 12:30 PM Post #23,172 of 29,490
Quote:
YMMV = ?
I am not a basehead so if separate from sound cancellation all Closed cans will grant me is superior base then I can pass on that, I am far more interested in sound quality more accurately sound accuracy I like to clearly hear my low, mids and highs in most cases I just hear lows and vocals which leaves me feeling less than fulfill.

I think we could talk about the difference between sound in decibel and sound in pressure. The bass in a powerful closed headphone will actually be felt physically  because of the pressure of air moving.

Jan 11, 2013 at 2:16 PM Post #23,173 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
As a general rule of thumb, yes, open cans sound better, as they can produce a better soundstage. Obviously though, if you put a $20 open can vs a $600 closed can, there won't be competition.

~Kami

Quote:

Denon, but they were discontinued about 6 months ago.

Jan 11, 2013 at 2:44 PM Post #23,174 of 29,490
hello all i am new to the audiophile world and looking to buy my first pair of audiophile grade headphones. 

I would prefer that they be open but closed is fine too

I do not have money for an amp nor do i wish to carry one around so they have to be able to be powered by my phone

I have a $300-$350 budget but i would prefer to save some if possible

I need headphones with a removable ambidextrous cord

i prefer straight cables but it is not necessary

I listen to mostly heavy metal and acoustic indie but i have a little but of jazz, rap, trance and dubstep that i enjoy so they must be able to play all of these types of music

I prefer a warm sound from my headphones and i hate overly bassy of tinny music so both the lows and the highs have to be under control

Sorry for any errors i typed this on my phone

also if you know of any good reviews for the headphones that you suggest it would be nice if you could link to them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back