++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jan 10, 2013 at 4:28 PM Post #23,146 of 29,490
Music: Rock, electronic, anything that the HD 598 is weak in.
Headphones I am looking at: Ultrasone HFI-780, Beyerdynamic DT 770, Grado SR225i

I own the ATH-M50, but my HD 598 destroys everything the M50s can play, even in bass-ier music.

Jan 10, 2013 at 4:56 PM Post #23,147 of 29,490
out of the follow headphones which would anyone recommend or if you have other recommendations please say

i listen to mostly metal and rock..i do alot of walking so they have to be good on the go and have to be comfortable of course so please let me know if i need to replace the pads and with what i rather buy pads to have even if i dont find them to be needed

i have meelectronics m9 iem now that are cheap but pretty good for the money

i would like to spend as little as possible for the value but if something is a little over 100 i wont rule it out in hopes of getting a good deal so if you can maybe put in order by what you say would be priority

V-Moda Crossfade LP
Audio-Technica M-50 or M30
Creative Aurvana Live

Jan 10, 2013 at 5:44 PM Post #23,148 of 29,490
Quote:

Haha yup, back when I played I was a sunlight spear maniac with an arsenal of lightning weaps, haven't really played that much since aota came out, glad to see people still play heavily though! I might have to check it out and see what they changed, and get lagstabbed until my delicious tears are flowing.

As for the Beyer COP vs V-MODA LP2s, would you say its definitely worth sending back my LP2s to get them?

Also, as for amps, which one pairs nicely with the Beyer COPs? Looking to keep them in the house mainly but want a punch when I hook them into smartphones.

ahh good days of being a noob, lightning everything made your character into such a badass, I play on the PC now so barely any problems with lagstabs

depends heavily on your music preference, I am using mine for hip-hop and felt the mids were better than LP2 so that's my turning point, I also auditioned shure 840 but build was better in COP so I went with those, I don't think you will like these with treble heavy music

Now I auditioned the COPs with a sony walkman and they sound fine and don't plan on adding an amp portably but as a home amp, I am using the Schiit Magni for all my headphones, honestly though, I wouldn't worry about an amp until you heard them yourself and work out a better source first

Jan 10, 2013 at 6:28 PM Post #23,149 of 29,490
So Im in the market for a nice pair of noise canceling headphones. After about a month of research, Ive narrowed it down to the AKG K 495 NC and the Sennheiser PXC 450. I listen to mostly hip hop, dubstep and like headphones to hit when needed but also not overdo it like any and all Beats products. I need noise canceling because as a med student, I need quiet to study in loud places such as coffee shops. So between the two, which one should I get? budget is max $400. Any other recommendations anyone can give? I dont want Bose or Beats, it seems like everyone has those nowadays and for the amount of money, I feel like theyre better options. Thanks in advance! 

Jan 10, 2013 at 6:39 PM Post #23,150 of 29,490
Quote:
Headphones I am looking at: Ultrasone HFI-780, Beyerdynamic DT 770, Grado SR225i

I own the ATH-M50, but my HD 598 destroys everything the M50s can play, even in bass-ier music.

Get open headphones unless you need the isolation, they're generally much better than similarly priced closed headphones.  So I'd steer towards DT880/990 instead of 770.  Grados also have a very different signature than the Senns and are quite enjoyable- SR225 are fun but the woodies have smoother treble and more substantive bass (HF-1/RS-1).  

Jan 10, 2013 at 6:58 PM Post #23,151 of 29,490
Quote:
So Im in the market for a nice pair of noise canceling headphones. After about a month of research, Ive narrowed it down to the AKG K 495 NC and the Sennheiser PXC 450. I listen to mostly hip hop, dubstep and like headphones to hit when needed but also not overdo it like any and all Beats products. I need noise canceling because as a med student, I need quiet to study in loud places such as coffee shops. So between the two, which one should I get? budget is max $400. Any other recommendations anyone can give? I dont want Bose or Beats, it seems like everyone has those nowadays and for the amount of money, I feel like theyre better options. Thanks in advance! 

I'd avoid noise canceling headphones, they don't really stack up against audiophile headphones (e.g., the PXC450 lose all their bass with nc on).  Some closed headphones have very good isolation (hd-25 for example) or if you find them comfortable, iems can give near-perfect sound and isolation.  I spend time in libraries and always use SE535, with godly results.

Jan 10, 2013 at 7:02 PM Post #23,152 of 29,490
Quote:

Ultrasone for a strong bass signature;

or

Grado for mid-centric pleasure and the Grado (SR) "wall of sound".

You pick.

Jan 10, 2013 at 7:09 PM Post #23,153 of 29,490
Quote:

I'd avoid noise canceling headphones, they don't really stack up against audiophile headphones (e.g., the PXC450 lose all their bass with nc on).  Some closed headphones have very good isolation (hd-25 for example) or if you find them comfortable, iems can give near-perfect sound and isolation.  I spend time in libraries and always use SE535, with godly results.

Quote:

the akg recieves a bass boost with the NC on and while off, roughy 80% of noise is gone just by putting them on, I just don't think they are worth 300 since with the NC on, only like 85% of noise is gone plus a small "nnnnnnnnn" sound, they were brilliant when I worked in engineering labs (very very loud kids) and isolation is insanely good, and I mean insane

Jan 10, 2013 at 7:10 PM Post #23,154 of 29,490
Quote:
Was thinking of buying a portable amp for my Grado 60i phones, now leaning toward a vintage amp/receiver. Any recommendations for a vintage amp/receiver that match up with great with Grado cans would be welcome. Need to keep the price in the $100 bucks range tops.
Thanks

With SR series people generally look for tube amps for a lush sound and softer treble.  For $100 I found that the uDAC dac/amp has a warm sound that works surprisingly well with Grados.  Not sure if you need something for home or portable use, but it does have a dac so could be a good all-in-one for use out a computer or via rca outputs to any stereo receiver that you may be to steal from an older relative.

Jan 10, 2013 at 7:14 PM Post #23,155 of 29,490
Hey guys,

Im very new to this and I apologize in advance for this somewhat long series of questions. 

Let me start out by saying that I am in no way shape or form an audiophile.  However, I do appreciate and love great sounding music, and am lucky enough to have come across some extra money to spend on things like this.

My current audio product collection includes:
Audio Engine 5 speakers
Bower and Wilkins P5's
Monster Inspiration Active Noise Canceling
Bose QC 15
Atrio M5

I listen to a wide variety of music, but mostly Electronic Music (house, trance, etc), hip hop, but also soft rock, (counting crows, mumford and sons)
I really appreciate anyone who will take the time to help me out, and I apologize in advance for any incorrect terminology.

I am seeking help in regards to:

A set of noise canceling headphones:
Budget: $350

I travel alot and would like noise canceling headphones.  I recently bought the Bose QC15's and I am extremely disappointed with the sound quality.  I am looking for a pair with acceptable noise canceling, but with better overall sound quality and better soundstage.  If this cannot be achieved through noise canceling models, I would be open to noise isolating models (closedback for traveling) if the sound quality is superb.

A set of headphones for at home use
Budget: $250

When working at home, I love getting enveloped into my music, so great soundstage is preferable, which would most likely lead me to an open backed phone?.  I mostly would use this for soft rock (mumford and sons) but if it has adequate  bass to deal with my affinity for electronic music, that would be great.  I have a very basic understanding of amplification, but if needed/recommended, I would purchase one of the Fiios Portable amps to power these headphones.  My source will be my iPhone, but am open to any other suggestions regarding improving this setup.

IEM's with overall good sound quality/fun sound
Budget: $250

A good soundstage is preferred and it would be great if these fones could be used without an amplifier.  I am currently looking at the Klipsch X10, are these recommended?

Thank you for your time!!

- Nick

Jan 10, 2013 at 11:38 PM Post #23,157 of 29,490
Quote:
I often see this comment by a lot of people around here "they sound good for closed cans".  Is it that Open Headphones usually have better sound quality or sound better than Closed Headphones?

As a general rule of thumb, yes, open cans sound better, as they can produce a better soundstage. Obviously though, if you put a $20 open can vs a $600 closed can, there won't be competition.

~Kami

Jan 10, 2013 at 11:47 PM Post #23,158 of 29,490
Quote:
[...] I am currently looking at the Klipsch X10, are these recommended?

I have used them, and I LOVE them for their price, especially since you can get them for a steal sometimes on amazon. If your budget is $250 though, you might want to look at the Vsonic GR07 as well, as those are very good as well. Will you get double the quality of the X10? Probably not, but they are better. If you have money to spend, the GR07 might be good, but for value, I'd give it to the X10's. Just be careful as they can be fragile. Also, consider the UE700 as well and the Shure SE-215, as they are good too. They all have different signatures, so it depends on your taste. Good luck!

~Kami

Here is a frequency response graph

Jan 11, 2013 at 1:38 AM Post #23,159 of 29,490
First of all, sorry for my bad English, i'm spanish and I will do my best

I'm searching a headset for multiple tasking, playing games like Battlefield or Fifa 13, enjoy music (dubstep & 80's), and watch films. (50/25/25)%

I've seen a few models:

- Siberia V2. All the reviews I've seen are positive, althought in this forum seem to be a junk. (66€)
- Asus Vulcan ANC: this case is similar to the siberia, but the design is not as dissembled. (76€)
- There are more models for less price than the Vulcan cans? At the beginning, I thought in spending less than 70€

- Creative Fatal1ty Gamign Headset: I suspect that this cans are not as good as the last mentioned, but I don't know If I will be conformed with this ones. (28€)

Useful info:

- I want a headset, not a headphone plus a micro.
- The micro must be detachable.
- I've owned a Superlux 661, which for me are useless without EQ, and a bit uncomfortable, the quality of the materials, for me, are 8 to 10.
- I have 2 intrauricular audio systems: Sennheiser CX400II (absolutely perfect for me), and a Sony EX310LP (a bit dissapointing, quite unconfortable, and don't have the bass of the sennheiser).

Well...I think that's all xD. Hope you can help me on that decision!

Jan 11, 2013 at 1:48 AM Post #23,160 of 29,490
Ok, so I'm trying to find some things for a friend (1 earphone, 1 headphone). I would like to have an answer ASAP to start the ordering process soon.

The three big criteria are:
  1. Price <$100 USD in total, no more please
  2. Decent sound quality (she listens to a wide variety of music genres)
  3. Durable

I was thinking the Shure SRH440, JVC HAS400B Carbon Nanotube, Creative Aurvana Live!, or Sennheiser HD201 or 201 for headphones; Monoprice 8320, this one on-sale on Groupon, or one of MEElectronics's earphones.

I'm not really an expert with sub $100 headphones/earphones, so hopefully you guys can help me recommend a combination.

Thank you so much in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back