++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jan 10, 2013 at 9:36 AM Post #23,131 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi, I am looking for a pair of headphones around 300$ to play with ipod and Objective2 amp.
 I have some in my minds: dt880, ath ad900, akg k701/q701. I often listen to symphonic metal, but I also enjoy Emi Fujita, Cat Steven, etc... and some Pop.
I prefer clean and airy sound and would love to have a pair with speed and some treble.
I am using a GR07 iem and find its lack of treble and separation disturbing, thought the bass and mid are great.

Could you give me some comparison and recommendation?
Can Objective2 drive DT880 600ohm properly? Are 250 cans very different from 600 ohm?

Thank you in advance.

All are good.  The DT 880 is the best.  The other two cost less.  It just depends on what flavor you prefer and the size of your budget.  Two of the three as detailed here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-57-headphones-compared-update-hifiman-he-400-added-12-24-12

Jan 10, 2013 at 9:42 AM Post #23,132 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello everyone ! I'm new and this is my first post.

To present myself, i am a parisien looking for a headphone ... how original I know. I went to this website thinking it would be a quick search for best headphone for 150 euros and i was dead wrong ; apparently there is so much to know ! Like what music i like, if i want an amp (i didnt know a good headphone had to be amp)  and so much other things to consider ...

So to precise my request for recommandation here is what i'm looking for : a good headphone for max 150 euros, mainly for street use with my iphone 4. I mostly listen to rock and street music. I would prefer closed one but that's a gut feeling. I would like no amp to because i dont know anything about that subject !

So what would you recommand ? Quicly browsing the website lead me to the audio technica m50, is that a good choice ? And is there a good starting topic on amps ?

Thanks !

The M-50 has a long cord and and ifs fairly big.  Therefore it is not good for on the go. 

What sound signature do you prefer?   Something that reproduces the track as they were laid down?  Bass emphasis can?  Mid-centric? ...

Jan 10, 2013 at 10:03 AM Post #23,133 of 29,490
Quote:
The M-50 has a long cord and and ifs fairly big.  Therefore it is not good for on the go. 

What sound signature do you prefer?   Something that reproduces the track as they were laid down?  Bass emphasis can?  Mid-centric? ...

Indeed that would be a problem.

As my only headphone ever was the apple earphones i dont really know what i would like best, but i think i would prefer a headphone that retranscript the music as it was meant to be. The best would be that as I listen I could forget that I use a simple headphone and believe that the musicians are right beside me !

Jan 10, 2013 at 10:04 AM Post #23,134 of 29,490
Was thinking of buying a portable amp for my Grado 60i phones, now leaning toward a vintage amp/receiver. Any recommendations for a vintage amp/receiver that match up with great with Grado cans would be welcome. Need to keep the price in the $100 bucks range tops.
Thanks

Jan 10, 2013 at 10:09 AM Post #23,136 of 29,490
Hi,
I'm on the verge of taking the plunge and buying myself a Beyerdynamic DT880/600. I am 99% (without auditioning) sure this is the best purchase.
I listen mainly to EDM, some Jazz, Tango, Classical - mostly lossless.
I currently own Sennheiser HD202 and I am desperately craving something with more detail and that is more open. The HD202 just sounds closed (since they are) and it makes some detail disappear.
My priorities are:
 - Transparency/Clarity/Detail (and no grain/noise)
 - Instrument separation / soundstage
 - Neutrality
 - Build quality

I'm in the UK and don't have a lot of options in the price class:
Senn HD600
Beyer DT880
AKG K701

I've read many comparisons and seems that dt88 is the best fit, however, I also read at THE BATTLE OF FLAGSHIPS that it lacks detail/transparency, is not noise free and the soundstage is inaccurate - exactly the opposite of what I want. Are those comments only as compared to the most high end ones?
I am really hoping for a noticeable upgrade. I've tried Yamaha HPH-200 and they're a big improvement but I my ears tell me that there is still a bit to improve on.

For amp/dac I'd use the E10 at first then upgrade later. I'm convinced the E10 will work at least temporarily based on others' comments.

Jan 10, 2013 at 10:59 AM Post #23,137 of 29,490
Quote:

As my only headphone ever was the apple earphones i dont really know what i would like best, but i think i would prefer a headphone that retranscript the music as it was meant to be. The best would be that as I listen I could forget that I use a simple headphone and believe that the musicians are right beside me !

Salut camarade !

Le Fidelio M1 est un casque portable dispo actuellement à 136E sur Amazon italie ce qui donne un rapport qualité prix excellent... Portable, très joli et discret, confortable et avec très bon son. Un très bon choix pour débuter avec un bon casque. :wink:  http://www.amazon.it/Philips-M1-00-Fidelio-Auricolari/dp/B007O712LS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357833169&sr=8-1 .. je l'ai acheté pour mon père :wink: . Je pense que tu ne peux pas être déçu et tu peux aller l'essayer à la FNAC (au moins celle des Ternes à Paris) pour te faire une idée.

Sorry ,I could not resist to answer in french
redface.gif

English version :  I think Fidelio M1 is a good choice. Cute, Good overall sound , very good introduction to Hi-fi Headphones IMO. and Amazon.it propose this M1 at a very good prince ( 136E) . Very valuable at this price !  Trying it is possible in a Well know French Dealer: la FNAC :wink:

Jan 10, 2013 at 11:22 AM Post #23,138 of 29,490
Quote:
Salut camarade !

Le Fidelio M1 est un casque portable dispo actuellement à 136E sur Amazon italie ce qui donne un rapport qualité prix excellent... Portable, très joli et discret, confortable et avec très bon son. Un très bon choix pour débuter avec un bon casque. :wink:  http://www.amazon.it/Philips-M1-00-Fidelio-Auricolari/dp/B007O712LS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357833169&sr=8-1 .. je l'ai acheté pour mon père :wink: . Je pense que tu ne peux pas être déçu et tu peux aller l'essayer à la FNAC (au moins celle des Ternes à Paris) pour te faire une idée.

Sorry ,I could not resist to answer in french
redface.gif

English version :  I think Fidelio M1 is a good choice. Cute, Good overall sound , very good introduction to Hi-fi Headphones IMO. and Amazon.it propose this M1 at a very good prince ( 136E) . Very valuable at this price !  Trying it is possible in a Well know French Dealer: la FNAC :wink:

Merci mon gars il est très classe ! J'irais le tester à chatelet (= je te tiens au courant !

(english thanks mate i will test it in paris ! the 65 euros reduction is pretty interesting !)

Jan 10, 2013 at 11:55 AM Post #23,139 of 29,490
Hi guys, 

Long time reader of the forums but first time poster, apologies for asking questions as soon as I sign up!

I currently own a pair of Sony MDR v6 and some Sony MDR-XB700. I enjoy both pairs of headphones and have never had any problem with either, typically I'll use the v6's for when I'm trying to not disturb anybody in my house, as the XB700's are very leaky (I'm not sure if they are open backed but either way they are very loud to listen to in company!).

I'd like to take a 'step-up' in headphones and was wondering if this was actually possible on a budget of around £200? I have the caveat of having to buy them from Amazon.co.uk (gift card) so unfortunately some of the suggestions I have already read in this thread aren't a possibility as they aren't stocked by Amazon.

Generally I listen to RnB, Pop and a bit of Rock. I like to feel the bass in the music but think I'd be happy to take a step away from the sometimes overpowering sound of the XB700's. I don't have a good audio set up, typically I listen to 320kbps MP3's on an iPod or iPhone so I really need some headphones that are going to be reasonably easy to drive. 

I've had a look around (based on what I can get from Amazon) and believe my best options - although you guys may not agree - are:

AKG K701 (although I believe these may be hard to drive off an iPod?)
AKG K240
Beyerdynamic DT250
Beyerdynamic DT 990 (these are smack bang at the top of my budget!)
Sennheiser HD25-1 II
Sennheiser HD 598
AKG K550
Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro - 250 OHM

Sorry for listing so many, these are just the ones I've seen mentioned before and are in my price range and available on Amazon. 

If anybody could give me any kind of guidance on whether any of these headphones will show a decent improvement compared to what I have currently I would be massively grateful!

Thanks. 

Jan 10, 2013 at 3:36 PM Post #23,140 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:

The Sennheiser HD25-1 II (under $200 in the U.S.) is a very good choice.  Less expensive here also also good are the siblings Sony DRZX701IP Monitor Headphones for iPhone and Sony MDR-ZX700.

Jan 10, 2013 at 3:39 PM Post #23,141 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
For rock, the V-Moda M80 is a good choice. Or if you want to willing to spend more, the HD25 is a good choice too. Both of them are sounds good already plugged directly to iDevices

I found something called Sennheiser HD25SP II at 130 euros, is this a different headphone ?

"HD 25-SP II - The cheap version of the HD 25, without split headband; 85 Ohm impedance; different driver. This headphone sounds significantly different and not as good, and is not recommended."  Link :

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/sennheiser-hd-25-1-ii-and-adidas-original-hd-25

Jan 10, 2013 at 3:42 PM Post #23,142 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi,
I'm on the verge of taking the plunge and buying myself a Beyerdynamic DT880/600. I am 99% (without auditioning) sure this is the best purchase.
I listen mainly to EDM, some Jazz, Tango, Classical - mostly lossless.
I currently own Sennheiser HD202 and I am desperately craving something with more detail and that is more open. The HD202 just sounds closed (since they are) and it makes some detail disappear.
My priorities are:
 - Transparency/Clarity/Detail (and no grain/noise)
 - Instrument separation / soundstage
 - Neutrality
 - Build quality

I'm in the UK and don't have a lot of options in the price class:
Senn HD600
Beyer DT880
AKG K701

I've read many comparisons and seems that dt88 is the best fit, however, I also read at THE BATTLE OF FLAGSHIPS that it lacks detail/transparency, is not noise free and the soundstage is inaccurate - exactly the opposite of what I want. Are those comments only as compared to the most high end ones?
I am really hoping for a noticeable upgrade. I've tried Yamaha HPH-200 and they're a big improvement but I my ears tell me that there is still a bit to improve on.

For amp/dac I'd use the E10 at first then upgrade later. I'm convinced the E10 will work at least temporarily based on others' comments.

Based on what you say that you want, the AKG is the best choice, although I would go with the Q701.

Jan 10, 2013 at 3:46 PM Post #23,143 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi guys, 

Long time reader of the forums but first time poster, apologies for asking questions as soon as I sign up!

I currently own a pair of Sony MDR v6 and some Sony MDR-XB700. I enjoy both pairs of headphones and have never had any problem with either, typically I'll use the v6's for when I'm trying to not disturb anybody in my house, as the XB700's are very leaky (I'm not sure if they are open backed but either way they are very loud to listen to in company!).

I'd like to take a 'step-up' in headphones and was wondering if this was actually possible on a budget of around £200? I have the caveat of having to buy them from Amazon.co.uk (gift card) so unfortunately some of the suggestions I have already read in this thread aren't a possibility as they aren't stocked by Amazon.

Generally I listen to RnB, Pop and a bit of Rock. I like to feel the bass in the music but think I'd be happy to take a step away from the sometimes overpowering sound of the XB700's. I don't have a good audio set up, typically I listen to 320kbps MP3's on an iPod or iPhone so I really need some headphones that are going to be reasonably easy to drive. 

I've had a look around (based on what I can get from Amazon) and believe my best options - although you guys may not agree - are:

AKG K701 (although I believe these may be hard to drive off an iPod?)
AKG K240
Beyerdynamic DT250
Beyerdynamic DT 990 (these are smack bang at the top of my budget!)
Sennheiser HD25-1 II
Sennheiser HD 598
AKG K550
Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro - 250 OHM

Sorry for listing so many, these are just the ones I've seen mentioned before and are in my price range and available on Amazon. 

If anybody could give me any kind of guidance on whether any of these headphones will show a decent improvement compared to what I have currently I would be massively grateful!

Thanks. 

From an unamped i-device, I's go with the Sennheiser HD25-1 II, on condition that a neutral headphone is what you want.

Jan 10, 2013 at 3:51 PM Post #23,144 of 29,490
Hi folks,

After doing a few hours of reading online I found this forum and thought you might be able to shed some light. In short I'm looking for a pair of headphones that would be great at separating front and back audio. I've been getting into CounterStrike and currently use Sennheiser HD 280 PROs --- while they work great for the most part I have lots of trouble distinguishing front and back while playing. Is there anyone out there who can recommend some around-the-ear headphones that could fit this role? Less than $200 and comfort are a focus for me. Someone recommended the Sennheiser HD 558's but I'm not sure why. I do know the HD 555's are comfortable as heck though.

Along the same lines if someone could properly explain (or link to an explanation) on how it's possible to do front/back audio over just a stereo (and not a 5.1 or greater) headset I'd really be curious to understand how it works. As I mentioned above I tried doing some research earlier but all I found was a lot of conflicting opinion which just left me more or less confused.

Thanks in advance for any response!

Edit: In some additional reading I've heard the ATH-AD700's have really good "sound stage"/positioning. Not sure if anyone can comment to that. They seem to be on sale for a steal at $99 on Amazon too.

Jan 10, 2013 at 4:21 PM Post #23,145 of 29,490
Quote:
Are you a sunbro?

Get the custom ones, I am getting them for the same things you are looking for

Haha yup, back when I played I was a sunlight spear maniac with an arsenal of lightning weaps, haven't really played that much since aota came out, glad to see people still play heavily though! I might have to check it out and see what they changed, and get lagstabbed until my delicious tears are flowing.

As for the Beyer COP vs V-MODA LP2s, would you say its definitely worth sending back my LP2s to get them?

Also, as for amps, which one pairs nicely with the Beyer COPs? Looking to keep them in the house mainly but want a punch when I hook them into smartphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back