++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jan 8, 2013 at 6:36 AM Post #23,041 of 29,490
Hi, i'm looking for some <100$ headphones without " too heavy basses", good comfort (lightweight) and low imp. since a don't have an ampli.

Now i'm using CAL but they are a bit bass heavy for the music i listen, and i will probably return them to amazon... thx

Jan 8, 2013 at 7:14 AM Post #23,042 of 29,490
Quote:

What was your audio setup at that point in time?

To be honest, I was running them straight out of a Toshiba Satellite laptop. 
tongue_smile.gif
 Sound was decent enough, but certain tones (like high piano notes) would crackle instead of ring clearly.

Two other things to consider; That particular pair I picked up used, so they very well may have been burnt in for quite some time before I got them. I know my Pro 900's needed it when I picked them up new. Also, after listening to the Ultrasones for a while, go back to whatever you were using before (cheap earbuds, whatever). I was able to tell I liked my first Ultrasones immensely right off the bat, but when I got the new ones I was unsure what I thought of them... until I went back to the old pair a week later and heard the decreased clarity.

Jan 8, 2013 at 7:55 AM Post #23,043 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi, i'm looking for some <100$ headphones without " too heavy basses", good comfort (lightweight) and low imp. since a don't have an ampli.

Now i'm using CAL but they are a bit bass heavy for the music i listen, and i will probably return them to amazon... thx

My favorite sub $100 headphones are Grado SR60/SR80.  Couldn't believe how good they were when I first heard them & I still use Grados as my around-the-house headphone out my ipod.  They don't have excessive bass, run very well without an amp and are lightweight.  Their looks aren't for everyone tho and some find that they have sharp treble.  They are open, so sound will leak in & out if that's an issue.

Jan 8, 2013 at 9:14 AM Post #23,044 of 29,490
Quote:

You could Consider Koss DJ100 ou DJ200 TBSE .  Closed so they offer good isolation. Clear and detailed overall sound , light but enjoyable Bass. Very good mids.  I feel it comfortable and light but clamping force is a bit strong

Jan 8, 2013 at 9:24 AM Post #23,045 of 29,490
hi all ! im looking to buy a new headphones over the ear.
i have the RE0 and loving them. but i want something for my PC.

i listen mostly to classic rock\rock indie, (neil young, fleetwood mac, eddie veddar, coldplay,  and etc...) did a lot of reading....
and i need your help to decide:

HD598 or AKG 240K MKII or AKG Q701 ?

i want to use them ampless... although i have fiio E5 i dont want to buy expenssive amp or soundcard.. (using  new PC onboard gigabyte Z77X-D3H)
i want a good sounding headphones that will make me feel like im part of the music (using FLAC files only)
:)

also i want to use for long hours of listening so it must be comfterble (those 3 looks comfy)

please help me decide from those 3.. i have a 100$ amazon gift card can add some cash if the change worth the extra :D but i guess around 200$ i can live with that

thanks!!!
looking forward for your help :))

Jan 8, 2013 at 11:45 AM Post #23,046 of 29,490
Hi all, I posted this first in the portable/in ear thread, but actually I think it might be more relevant here, sorry for the double post. I'm new here and returning after a long hiatus to being able to concentrate on listening to music. Due to lack of space and opportunity to set up and listen to a full hifi separates + speakers system, it seems like for now my best bet is to find some good headphones in a sound style I like to listen to music through my macbook, maybe or maybe not with an external DAC/headphone amp.

Anyway, reading around, it seems like there are different sound 'styles' in headphones, like a 'grado sound' or a 'sennheiser sound', and as yet I don't know which I'd prefer. I recently stumbled across a lot of old threads singing the praises of the koss KSC75s, and in particular comparing them to more expensive Grados or Alessandros. I ordered a pair for £12 today, so that's step one.

My question (now we get to it), is what other cheap 'phones (1 or 2 other examples at <£20-£30) give a taste of the 'house styles' of other more expensive 'phones? I'd like to explore how realistic a soundstage I can get, in particular - would sennheiser PX100s be a good introduction here? I'm looking more for something that illustrates a certain sound signature, rather than necessarily headphones I will use forever more - just a way to see what style I prefer. Is this even a sensible approach?

My music tastes are mostly indie rock (90s Boston bands, throwing muses, pixies etc.) through to 'characterful' male vocalists like Nick Cave and Tom Waits. Currently I have the monster beats audio in-ears that came with my htc smartphone, plus the Koss I've just ordered. I'd be listening at home, so open backed headphones are fine and I don't need any isolation.

That was pretty long, wasn't it? Thanks for any help anyone can give me.

Jan 8, 2013 at 12:06 PM Post #23,047 of 29,490
Hey all,

I came here a while back to get some headphones (Still loving my ATH-A700s, great cans), now Im back here for some help with my coworker.

She is looking for some noise canceling cans. The full size kind (kinda like my A700s). She isn't an audiophile at all but she doesn't want to spend like $300 to get $50 worth of audio quality, obviously.

Noise canceling is mostly for when she is traveling (planes).

Ive read alot about how the Bose QC15 are the "best" NC-wise, but with a horrible price tag and average audio quality (and obligatory batteries for playback) I'm trying to find another alternative. Her budget would be around 300-350 tops.

Thanks yall.

Jan 8, 2013 at 1:38 PM Post #23,048 of 29,490
Quote:

KRK KNS 6400 or Sony DR-ZX701IP/Sony MDR-ZX700.

Jan 8, 2013 at 1:41 PM Post #23,049 of 29,490
Quote:
hi all ! im looking to buy a new headphones over the ear.
i have the RE0 and loving them. but i want something for my PC.

i listen mostly to classic rock\rock indie, (neil young, fleetwood mac, eddie veddar, coldplay,  and etc...) did a lot of reading....
and i need your help to decide:

HD598 or AKG 240K MKII or AKG Q701 ?

i want to use them ampless... although i have fiio E5 i dont want to buy expenssive amp or soundcard.. (using  new PC onboard gigabyte Z77X-D3H)
i want a good sounding headphones that will make me feel like im part of the music (using FLAC files only)
:)

also i want to use for long hours of listening so it must be comfterble (those 3 looks comfy)

please help me decide from those 3.. i have a 100$ amazon gift card can add some cash if the change worth the extra :D but i guess around 200$ i can live with that

thanks!!!
looking forward for your help :))

Unamped, the HD 598 is the best choice from you list.  Even they will benefit from some amping.

Jan 8, 2013 at 2:16 PM Post #23,050 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi all, I posted this first in the portable/in ear thread, but actually I think it might be more relevant here, sorry for the double post. I'm new here and returning after a long hiatus to being able to concentrate on listening to music. Due to lack of space and opportunity to set up and listen to a full hifi separates + speakers system, it seems like for now my best bet is to find some good headphones in a sound style I like to listen to music through my macbook, maybe or maybe not with an external DAC/headphone amp.

Anyway, reading around, it seems like there are different sound 'styles' in headphones, like a 'grado sound' or a 'sennheiser sound', and as yet I don't know which I'd prefer. I recently stumbled across a lot of old threads singing the praises of the koss KSC75s, and in particular comparing them to more expensive Grados or Alessandros. I ordered a pair for £12 today, so that's step one.

My question (now we get to it), is what other cheap 'phones (1 or 2 other examples at <£20-£30) give a taste of the 'house styles' of other more expensive 'phones? I'd like to explore how realistic a soundstage I can get, in particular - would sennheiser PX100s be a good introduction here? I'm looking more for something that illustrates a certain sound signature, rather than necessarily headphones I will use forever more - just a way to see what style I prefer. Is this even a sensible approach?

My music tastes are mostly indie rock (90s Boston bands, throwing muses, pixies etc.) through to 'characterful' male vocalists like Nick Cave and Tom Waits. Currently I have the monster beats audio in-ears that came with my htc smartphone, plus the Koss I've just ordered. I'd be listening at home, so open backed headphones are fine and I don't need any isolation.

I don't think (or have heard through listening to various cans) that it works that way--at least not very often--and especially when talking about lines that have quality cans priced at about $150 and above.  What you will generally get is cheaper sounding headphones that won't tell you much about their serious upline cans.

You could say that the Grado SR 60i and Shure SRH 440 will give you insight on their bigger bros, but each of them costs about $75 to $100. 

Jan 8, 2013 at 2:30 PM Post #23,051 of 29,490
Quote:

This is slightly evil, but you could to to a store with a good headphone selection, see what you like and buy it used on ebay or in the fs forum here.  There are several in/around London.

Jan 8, 2013 at 2:55 PM Post #23,052 of 29,490
I am looking at purchasing a new pair of headphones with a price cap around $400. I am looking at the hifiman he-400, sennheiser hd600 and hd650s. I listen to mainly electronic, hip hop, and rock (I am a little bit of a basshead) but I am planning on broadening my music horizons when I get these. Mainly with jazz and classical which I have liked on friends phones. Also I am planning on getting an e10 amp with these and upgrading that when I have the money (could possibly stretch for something more now if really worth it ). Any opinions on which headphones would fit best would be appreciated.

Jan 8, 2013 at 3:03 PM Post #23,053 of 29,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by viralcow /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Highly recommend the HFI-580. If you're willing to spend a little more, the HFI-2400. Comfort is so-so. Also look into the DT770/80 and the DT990.

Is this because you find it more comfortable? Or more attractive? Unfortunately you won't find that design anywhere else... but most senn's don't have the kind of bass impact you're looking for.

Yeah, I like the sennheisers shape because of the comfort. The oval shape of the ear cups, and the angle that they are placed, feel better to me than the round cups like the ones on the beyerdynamics. Are there any sennheiser headphones that would be decent for trance/techno? I like my HD428's well enough, but I don't like the loose fit that they have on my head.

Also, i saw that on Amazon that the hfi-580 were $40 more than the hfi-780. Is that normal? I thought the 780's were "better" than the 580s.

Thank you for your help by the way!

Jan 8, 2013 at 3:06 PM Post #23,054 of 29,490
BUDGET: $500.00
PREFERENCE: Sennheiser(from reading this thread)
USES: Computer(movies/music), PS3(Gaming/Movies)

Computer has no sound card...ps3 has usb port.....hdmi's

Ive had multiple "gaming" suggestions....but the mic isnt that important. I can use a desktop or clip on.

I also had one person tell me to run everything through a yamaha reciever.

Im looking for a complete package for around $500 ...im flexible.

Looking for package suggestions: Cans? Sound card? Amp? Dac? Reciever? Im not sure what direction to go. Thank you in advance.

Jan 8, 2013 at 3:10 PM Post #23,055 of 29,490
Quote:

I think that i'll try Shure srh440 (i need closed cause my pc is noisy while gaiming), what do you guys think?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back