++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jan 7, 2013 at 5:46 PM Post #23,011 of 29,490
Quote:

Seriously, The Sig pro seems to be what you look for :wink: .. the most neutral Ultrasone but still very very enjoyable and it gives you detailed, precise, fast and dynamic sound and amazing/deep/textured bass when the music needs it. Considering what  you listen to, you should absolutely consider it. the Sig DJ has the same overall qualities but offer a more V-shaped signature.

For the wow factor : I missed it when I listen to my sig pro for the first time beacause i were used to like bass-heavy cans but one head-fier said to me the Sig pro grows in you . He was completely right and now I 've the "wow" effect each time I put my sig pro over my here and swith my player to ON .  I drive it with an unexpensive but very good Tube DAC/amp ( en Aune T1) and with a good tube ( NOS 6N23P , 6N27P o Mullard 6DJ8 )  I'm really amazed . With a Fiio E17, the sig pro could sound a bit cold sometimes because this headphone is very detailed and analytical but IMO a tube amp gives it the Warmness and organic touch it needs :wink: . Moreover, The Sig pro is easy to driver and can be easily paired with a phone . Nevertheless the result is far better whith appropriate ( and not necessarily expensive) source/amp.

Isolation is (to my ears) near perfection both from inside to outsite than the other way.

Thank you! I think this is exactly the kind of post I needed to make up my mind. Not to mention it answered my next question about which amp/dac to upgrade to, lol. I actually already own the Fiio e17, and that Aune T1 looks like a worthwhile investment. I might even get that first to see how my Pro 900's like it. Now to go research tube amps...
Quote:
Hey there Hi-fiers
I am seeking some help with my new headphones.

So I have just purchased my first pair of cans after stating what I plan to use it for and the type of music I listen to from the recommendations I received, I purchased the Ultrasone HFI-780.  Now I don't know where I went wrong, when I listen to them and apart from the noise cancelling I don't hear anything that stands out to me, I spend most of my time with ear buds in my ears at work and then come home to speakers and or a cheap headset I use for gaming. 

So I would think I should be hearing a different as recommended I tried listening to good source material so some of my music cds and watched a DvD movie and still I don't hear any difference so I am not sure where I went wrong, they are currently plugged into my Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Zs so I am not sure if it is because of that sound card or something.

I own some Coby 150w 5.1 speakers a simple set up and when I listened to my friends AV40s which were only plugged directly his Laptop I heard a clear difference between those and my speakers which is one of the reasons that motivated me to get better quality sound but now with these headphones I am feeling rather unsatisfied.

I concur with the consensus to get a better source, and I can vouch for Fiio's product line. My first GOOD headphones were Alienware-rebranded HFI-700's (the earlier version of the 780), and I absolutely loved them.

Jan 7, 2013 at 5:53 PM Post #23,012 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi guys! I'm looking for headphones in the $75-$125 range and am not sure where to look or what my best option would be. Any help would be appreciated.

EDIT: The best pair of headphones I've owned was a pair of Bose Triport OEs. I thought they were great, but that's probably because I've never owned another pair of audiophile headphones. I listen to mostly hip-hop, jazz, and experimental and electronic music. I don't have a preference between on-ear and over-ear, but comfort is very important because I will be wearing them for long periods of time.

Are you OK with open cans (they leak sound)?

What equipment will be powering these cans?  Will you be using an amp?

Jan 7, 2013 at 7:47 PM Post #23,014 of 29,490
I would really love a pair of headphones with a little more presence in the low end. I'm currently using an HD598 off of a Xonar STX. I like open cans but have never really used a good pair of closed headphones. I'm really thinking about the DT770. I really wish that I jumped on that Ultrasone Pro 750 deal. 

I plan on using these for mostly rock and metal as well as gaming. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

I would like to keep it under $200. 

Jan 7, 2013 at 8:33 PM Post #23,015 of 29,490
Quote:
The 880 is by far the best can.  However, it won't give you the bass fix that the other two will.

OK, I have decided on the DT 770 Pro.  I am going to be using these from Computer at work and iPad mostly.  Which majks more sense?

Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO, 250 ohms - $184.95
FiiO E11 - $59.99 (Total $244.94)

Beyerdynamic: DT-770-Pro Studio Headphones - Limited Edition, 32 OHMS - $249.0

Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO, 80 ohms - $220.99

Jan 7, 2013 at 8:45 PM Post #23,016 of 29,490
Quote:
OK, I have decided on the DT 770 Pro.  I am going to be using these from Computer at work and iPad mostly.  Which majks more sense?

Get the DT770 Pro 80 from CobraSonics on eBay. They're only charging $160, and they have a 60 day, no questions asked return policy. They're legit sellers. No fakes. 

Get the PA2V2 if you want an amp. FiiO E11 isn't too reliable, honestly. It has a problem with static. But you don't really need an amp for 80 ohms.

Jan 7, 2013 at 8:52 PM Post #23,017 of 29,490
Quote:

People have been raving about the limited edition DT 770 Pro. I'm not a big fan of the DT 770 Pro 250 ohm or closed headphones in general, but I'm considering picking one up. If you ever choose to sell, LE headphones generally hold their value better as well.

Lots of praise over at Headfonia and our thread here

Jan 7, 2013 at 9:25 PM Post #23,021 of 29,490
Hello everyone!, I'm looking for a set of headphones and I've been looking at all these different brands. 
I've chosen to get headphones which sit towards the ear, not ones that will cover there (e.g. ATH-50Ms).
I listen to Indie music, if that helps with finding a more accurate result.

- In terms of aesthetics as well, I want them to look nice and the performance should be reasonable too, it doesn't have to be the best in both categories.
- I can't stand ugly products or under performing products, I like balance. 

My budget is around $240. 

Thanks! - N

Jan 7, 2013 at 9:28 PM Post #23,022 of 29,490
I could use a recommendation. I m looking to purchase my first semi-quality headset for $50-125. I game a fair amount, but it is not shooter games where direction is overly important. I listen to bassy electronic music, so a lot of my needs are exactly what most audiophiles do not want. I will stress one thing that bothers me about almost every headset I've tried on is the build quality. If it is plastic, cheap feeling, and uncomfortable I m not interested. These will be used for long sessions at a time and I hate poor build quality; it rivals on the same importance of sound for most audiophiles. Wireless would be a great perk, but is not a deal killer one way or another. If I have to bump the budget slightly that is fine, but I d really be more inclined to buy something at this budget and most importantly because more than likely I can't try them on.

Jan 7, 2013 at 10:06 PM Post #23,024 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
Hi guys! I'm looking for headphones in the $75-$125 range and am not sure where to look or what my best option would be. Any help would be appreciated.

EDIT: The best pair of headphones I've owned was a pair of Bose Triport OEs. I thought they were great, but that's probably because I've never owned another pair of audiophile headphones. I listen to mostly hip-hop, jazz, and experimental and electronic music. I don't have a preference between on-ear and over-ear, but comfort is very important because I will be wearing them for long periods of time.

Are you OK with open cans (they leak sound)?

What equipment will be powering these cans?  Will you be using an amp?

With your genres and comfort demand too, you're asking a great deal from a relatively modestly priced can.  Maybe the CAL! would cover the most bases.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back