++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jan 6, 2013 at 5:01 PM Post #22,936 of 29,490
Quote:
I need the MOST comfortable headphone possible, within $250.

So far I have the DT 770 PRO 32/80 OHMS in my list.

Do you guys have other suggestions?

Im gonna be using mostly a portable mp3 player/ipod/iphone. Sometimes will use it with my PC/notebook.

Again, being comfortable is a must have feature. Portability would be the 2nd most important feature :)

The most comfortable headphones I've used are Beyerdynamic DT 770 Premium, 990 Premium and T 70. No particular order. The T 70 uses different materials on the cups and headbands which seem more "luxurious" to me. Even so, I was perfectly happy with the '990. There are many brands I haven't really tried -- AKG, Shure, ATH (beyond M50), etc. -- but the '770 Pro will be hard to beat.

Is the '770 Pro available in a 32-Ohm model? I thought that was just for Premiums.

Jan 6, 2013 at 5:02 PM Post #22,937 of 29,490
Quote:

If you want the legendary Beyer comfort, and portability, I would go for the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro.

I really liked this one you mentioned, but apparently, the DT 770 is still better according to users' reviews. I mean, im not sure if the "not so good sound quality" of the COPs really maked the DT 770 so much worth it, considering the COP seems much more portable.

What do you think? Is it ok to sacrifice the DT 770 qualities over the COPs in order to gain some portability?

Jan 6, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #22,938 of 29,490
Quote:

I really liked this one you mentioned, but apparently, the DT 770 is still better according to users' reviews. I mean, im not sure if the "not so good sound quality" of the COPs really maked the DT 770 so much worth it, considering the COP seems much more portable.

What do you think? Is it ok to sacrifice the DT 770 qualities over the COPs in order to gain some portability?

According to MalVeauX (The coolest guy on this website), the COP doesn't sacrifice sound quality at all. I would want to agree with him, but, I haven't had any experiences with the COP yet.

But, that is exactly what I am doing. I'm trading my 770 for the COP because of portability reasons. 

Jan 6, 2013 at 5:18 PM Post #22,939 of 29,490
Quote:
I have been reading this forum for a couple of days now...  When I get close to deciding I discover more questions.  I'm a big value, bang for the buck kind of guy.  For example, I like Sobieski Vodka for the price instead of pricier Grey Goose.

Regarding Headphones, I mainly listen to music (Pop, Pink Floyd, Blues, Jazz), movies and TV series on an iPad.  I would prefer keeping the initial investment around $200 but can increase if it warrants.  ie Needing an amp or DAC needs to be considered in the equation.

I do have decent stereo equipment and have acquired a taste for good sound quality.  I have 18 Polk Audio Powered SW, Yamaha 7.1 Receiver, JBL Speakers, and Monster Cables.

I have been looking at the following headphones.

1. Audio-Technica ATH-M50 ($125)
  2. Sennheiser HD 558 ($160)
  3. Sennheiser HD 598
    ir
    ($211)
  4. Grado SR-80i - ($100)
  5. AIAI TMA-1 (Sounded pretty Good ) ($149 last night, $199 today :frowning2: )
  6. Sennheiser HD Pro 280 (Sounded better to me than the 380 Pro)
  7. Sennheiser HD 439 (Haven't heard, but on sale today at Best Buy $79)

I like Bass a lot, but not at the cost of muffled mids.  I have heard Beats Pros, and to me they sound pretty good.  I am brand new to good headphones and value opinions and research I have been reading here.  My comments and thoughts are a little discombobulated, but hopefully there is enough information in this post to help in a recommendation on my first step to becoming an Audiophile.

Thanks

Haven't heard enough of the headphones on your list to advise you, sorry.  But for a great bang-for-your-buck vodka, you might also consider Smirnoff.  It won a blind test against 20 more expensive vodkas:
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/26/dining/26wine.html?_r=0
beerchug.gif

Jan 6, 2013 at 5:21 PM Post #22,940 of 29,490
Quote:

According to MalVeauX (The coolest guy on this website), the COP doesn't sacrifice sound quality at all. I would want to agree with him, but, I haven't had any experiences with the COP yet.

But, that is exactly what I am doing. I'm trading my 770 for the COP because of portability reasons. 

How about comfort? You have any insights on that? Are both in pair or the 770 is superior?

Jan 6, 2013 at 5:27 PM Post #22,941 of 29,490
Quote:

How about comfort? You have any insights on that? Are both in pair or the 770 is superior?

It's Beyerdynamic, so comfort is basically guaranteed. The COP has pleather pads, so, it may be a bit different in comfort, but certainly not worse. If there is some sort of problem, then you can easily buy the DT770 velour pads for the COP and swap them out. It should feel generally identical to the 770 then.

Jan 6, 2013 at 5:36 PM Post #22,942 of 29,490
Hey everyone, I thought I had an account here but it may have got lost so I'm here with a new one.

I tried my brother's UM3X IEMs and they're awesome. I love how big the soundstage is and when I listened to my music in lossless it sounded spectacular. Great separation between the drivers: bass, mids and treble. You can hear everything! I tried my mom's UM1's and I was unimpressed. The sound was flat and uninspiring.

I'm a bit of an audiophile (picky I guess) and a musician (guitarist). I'm 90% into rock (Tool, A Perfect Circle, Coheed & Cambria, Circa Survive, RED) with the other 10% being a random mix of stuff like Pink Floyd, Sarah McLachlan, Oceanlab, classical, etc.

I'm looking to keep my budget to $150 or less. I was looking at the PFE112 or PFE111, Brainwavz B2, etc. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

Jan 6, 2013 at 5:43 PM Post #22,943 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey everyone, I thought I had an account here but it may have got lost so I'm here with a new one.

I tried my brother's UM3X IEMs and they're awesome. I love how big the soundstage is and when I listened to my music in lossless it sounded spectacular. Great separation between the drivers: bass, mids and treble. You can hear everything! I tried my mom's UM1's and I was unimpressed. The sound was flat and uninspiring.

I'm a bit of an audiophile (picky I guess) and a musician (guitarist). I'm 90% into rock (Tool, A Perfect Circle, Coheed & Cambria, Circa Survive, RED) with the other 10% being a random mix of stuff like Pink Floyd, Sarah McLachlan, Oceanlab, classical, etc.

I'm looking to keep my budget to $150 or less. I was looking at the PFE112 or PFE111, Brainwavz B2, etc. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

This is the full sized headphones section of the forum.  You need to post this in the Portable Headphones, ... section.

Jan 6, 2013 at 6:05 PM Post #22,944 of 29,490
Quote:

It's Beyerdynamic, so comfort is basically guaranteed. The COP has pleather pads, so, it may be a bit different in comfort, but certainly not worse. If there is some sort of problem, then you can easily buy the DT770 velour pads for the COP and swap them out. It should feel generally identical to the 770 then.

Ah alright. Good to know.

Well, now how about isolation? I see many people complaning about the dt 770s noise isolation...that would also be very important for me. Any difference compared to the COP?

Jan 6, 2013 at 6:52 PM Post #22,945 of 29,490
I'm doing a search on closed headphones in case someone can bring them from US to me.
Budget is 250$, I can push it up to 300$ if there's any significant improvement. I do not have an dedicated sound card, so I guess I would have to buy an USB/DAC, any suggestions other than FiiO E10? (same prince range~).
They have to be closed, I don't need noise isolation, but I don't want sound leakage (I do not listen at extremely loud levels). Home use. Over ear.
I listen to pop, k-pop and instrumental music, and I will use be using it on gaming (but my priority is music).

I currently have the Sennheiser HD202 (which cost 100$ in my country, unfortunately), Shure SRH-840 / SRH-940 would be easier to get here, but I saw some complains on comfort and sound.

Thanks!

Jan 6, 2013 at 7:03 PM Post #22,946 of 29,490
Quote:

Hi.  So far I've had Portapros (loved them, but they were broken in a car wreck), then a pair of SR-80is(which I adored).  They lasted about a year or two before one of the speakers stopped working (****** cables). The open designs were a problem as well, considering I mainly listen to music on the go.  So, I need closed headphones under $150 (I will get an amp at some point maybe).

Which would be best for Rock/Metal (Led Zeppelin, Metallica, Iron Maiden, Queen, Yes, Dream Theater, Queensryche, Styx, Journey, Beatles, Pink Floyd, Rush etc.) while still being durable enough to last for more than a year or two (Appearance and portabilty are NOT a concern)?

I'm currently looking at the Sony V6 and (possibly) ath m50

Quote:

Well, it happened again.  My MDR-V6 has suffered a cable/jack break (bleeping Griffin Survivor case and it's tiny slot for jacks that managed to bend the jack even after I filed it down) and joined my SR-80s in the headphone graveyard.  I have decided that it might be best to upgrade to headphones meant for portable use and have detachable cables.  After much research, I have narrowed down my candidates to the HD25-1 ii and the V-Moda M80.  Most seem to favor the Senns for the type of music I listen to(i.e. Prog Rock and Metal with some classic rock and alt rock on the side).  However there are three things that make me consider the M80s:

1.Soundstage

2.Need for a portable amp
3.Replacement cables

Simply put, is the soundstage for the Senns sufficient for something like, say, Dream Theater(yup, yet another DT fan on Head-Fi) or King Crimson or Queen?  And even more importantly, would I need an amp to properly power the Senns?  If so, then what would you suggest? My primary source is an iPod Touch 4G playing ALAC files through Audioforge Equalizer.  Most importantly of all, there is also the factor of the V-Modas using regular male-male cables while the Senns use proprietary cables which I have heard are very hard to find and are very expensive although I have heard you can use replacement cables from other Sennheiser cables(some specific information on this may be the most important deciding factor).  And how do they compare sound-wise with the MDR-V6?

I would be very, very, VERY grateful for any input and advice....   I need help sooner rather than later.

Here we go again...  I got the M80s and they sound very, very, good. Unfortunately, they just aren't comfortable for me.  My head and face literally twitch when I wear them.  I am looking for over-the-ear/circumarual 'phones that suit my music needs (listed above) preferably $300 or less but I can push it a bit higher if I have to.  The three issues above are now to be discounted.  I'm looking to spend as little on an amp as possible. 

Jan 6, 2013 at 7:14 PM Post #22,947 of 29,490
Hi, so I am kind of having a hard time deciding what new headphones to get.  I'm looking for a pair of nice over the ear heaphones, possibly noise cancelling, that have pretty good base, and are pretty nice overall, and i need them to not leak too much sound because i'll be using them to study and in the library, but also for just casual listening on my i-pod. And my price range is up to 200 dollars. Now I've looked into beats but they leak way too much sound, and aren't the best sound quality.  And i have heard that the audio technica sound canceling headphones leak a lot of sound too.  So if i could get some advice or suggestions that would be great.
thanks.

Jan 6, 2013 at 7:34 PM Post #22,948 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi, so I am kind of having a hard time deciding what new headphones to get.  I'm looking for a pair of nice over the ear heaphones, possibly noise cancelling, that have pretty good base, and are pretty nice overall, and i need them to not leak too much sound because i'll be using them to study and in the library, but also for just casual listening on my i-pod. And my price range is up to 200 dollars. Now I've looked into beats but they leak way too much sound, and aren't the best sound quality.  And i have heard that the audio technica sound canceling headphones leak a lot of sound too.  So if i could get some advice or suggestions that would be great.
thanks.

sure, stay away from the noise cancelling.  no need unless you are using them in very noisy environments (not the library LOL).  for the same price, a regular phone will sound better than a noise cancelling phone EVERY TIME

i recommend something like the ATHM50, they are very quiet.  the Vmoda m80 are also very quiet

Jan 6, 2013 at 7:44 PM Post #22,949 of 29,490
Quote:

Ah alright. Good to know.

Well, now how about isolation? I see many people complaning about the dt 770s noise isolation...that would also be very important for me. Any difference compared to the COP?

The COP are actually superior in this area- especially with the pleather pads. 
The HeadRoom graphs show better isolation overall than the DT770.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back