++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jan 6, 2013 at 2:12 PM Post #22,921 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello everyone.

Buying my first "real" set of headphones here shortly.

I prefer a well balanced sound, on the natural acoustic side. Wide soundstage would be ideal.

I listen to everyone kind of music, really.

Will eventually buy an amp, don't really know which one yet.

250 tops is what I can spent.

I'm leaning towards akg k701 or sennheiser hd598. I also found someone in Craigslist selling the audio technica ath-m50 for a good price. Than again, how can you spot a fake?

Thanks in advance!

I would go for the Q701 definitely.

Jan 6, 2013 at 2:47 PM Post #22,924 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello everyone.

Buying my first "real" set of headphones here shortly.

I prefer a well balanced sound, on the natural acoustic side. Wide soundstage would be ideal.

I listen to everyone kind of music, really.

Will eventually buy an amp, don't really know which one yet.

250 tops is what I can spent.

I'm leaning towards akg k701 or sennheiser hd598. I also found someone in Craigslist selling the audio technica ath-m50 for a good price. Than again, how can you spot a fake?

Thanks in advance!

Stick with the AKG, Senn or Beyer DT 880 (+/- Pro).  The closed M-50 falls short of all three.

Have not heard much/any discussion about fakes of these three recommended cans.

Jan 6, 2013 at 2:53 PM Post #22,925 of 29,490
I had the XB500s sitting in my amazon account, ready to order, then i see your reply and figure i've got time to kill so i do some extensive research.
One of my worries was that the XB500s would have terrible sound clarity - something i wasn't prepared to sacrafice for earth-moving bass; so after extensive research the Q40s look like an amazing choice. If i am unsatisfied at all with the sub bass, i'll invest in a FiiO E6 (unless i find a better alternative) somewhere down the line; also i read that a pad change is helpful.
Another perk of these, of course, is that they look SEXY and could be worn out in public.
Thanks for the suggestion, i see you've been recommending it on other threads aswell
wink_face.gif
Cheers
beerchug.gif

Jan 6, 2013 at 2:55 PM Post #22,926 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey all, I posted a couple weeks ago about choosing between the Sennheiser HD558 and Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80ohm.  I finally have both in my possession and can only pick one -- my problem is there are issues with each that make it hard for me to just wholeheartedly go with one of the other :frowning2:  I'm pairing with the Fiio E11 and listen to EDM, chill/lounge, rock, alternative, R&B, jazz and will also be using for movies.  

HD558: very open and airy sounding and I really like the clarity the balanced sound signature provides (at least vs. the DT770).  The problem is the bass doesn't have the impact for EDM and music genres where deep rumbling bass you can feel is critical to enjoyment.  I did the foam mod but I still feel the sound lacking for bass heavy tracks.  The sound leakage is also a potential issue for my wife when she's trying to sleep next to me.  Size wise these headphones are OK -- they are a little big but don't interfere too much with enjoying music lying down.  I also like how you can also replace the audio cable with a shorter one with a 3.5mm plug without the huge adapter.

DT770: I am very happy with how wide the soundstage is for closed headphones.  Isolation is a good benefit.  Mids are a little recessed, but I like the warmth.  Highs are OK, not too fatiguing yet.  The bass is where I have a love/hate relationship with these cans -- awesome for EDM, chillout music with the sub bass rumble that you can really feel... too overpowering for other music types in my opinion.  I think if I can find a way to tame the bass (is there a mod that can do this effectively?), I would probably go with the DT770, but only if.  EQ'ing is not an option, at least that i know of with spotify and other streaming apps.  The other downside is these headphones are huge -- hard to comfortably lie down with my head on a pillow with these.

Help!!

They are very different and are what they are.  You will will just have to make a choice.

Jan 6, 2013 at 3:14 PM Post #22,927 of 29,490
Hey Head-Fi'ers. Normally I'm on the other end of this thread, but this time, I need your recommendations.

I'm looking for a new pair of headphones, obviously. 
They need to be portable, but they also need to be able to handle production use. They DO NOT need to fold up. Detachable cable is a BIG plus.
I listen to a lot of electronic music (DnB, Raggacore, Speedcore, dubstep, electro house, etc), and sometimes rock and folk. 
My budget is somewhere around $200.
I have had the DT770 Pro, and the sound was outstanding, in my opinion. I can't use them as a portable, though. 
My impedance preferences would be 16-80 Ohm. 
I have a cMoy BB V2.03 portable amp.

I've been looking at the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro, recommended to me by MalVeauX.
I've also took into consideration the Shure SRH-840, but that won't have nearly enough bass impact for me.

Any other recommendations?

Thanks in advance

Jan 6, 2013 at 3:18 PM Post #22,928 of 29,490
Quote:
I had the XB500s sitting in my amazon account, ready to order, then i see your reply and figure i've got time to kill so i do some extensive research.
One of my worries was that the XB500s would have terrible sound clarity - something i wasn't prepared to sacrafice for earth-moving bass; so after extensive research the Q40s look like an amazing choice. If i am unsatisfied at all with the sub bass, i'll invest in a FiiO E6 (unless i find a better alternative) somewhere down the line; also i read that a pad change is helpful.
Another perk of these, of course, is that they look SEXY and could be worn out in public.
Thanks for the suggestion, i see you've been recommending it on other threads aswell
wink_face.gif
Cheers
beerchug.gif

beerchug.gif

Jan 6, 2013 at 3:30 PM Post #22,929 of 29,490
I have been reading this forum for a couple of days now...  When I get close to deciding I discover more questions.  I'm a big value, bang for the buck kind of guy.  For example, I like Sobieski Vodka for the price instead of pricier Grey Goose.

Regarding Headphones, I mainly listen to music (Pop, Pink Floyd, Blues, Jazz), movies and TV series on an iPad.  I would prefer keeping the initial investment around $200 but can increase if it warrants.  ie Needing an amp or DAC needs to be considered in the equation.

I do have decent stereo equipment and have acquired a taste for good sound quality.  I have 18 Polk Audio Powered SW, Yamaha 7.1 Receiver, JBL Speakers, and Monster Cables.

I have been looking at the following headphones.

1. Audio-Technica ATH-M50 ($125)
  2. Sennheiser HD 558 ($160)
  3. Sennheiser HD 598
    ir
    ($211)
  4. Grado SR-80i - ($100)
  5. AIAI TMA-1 (Sounded pretty Good ) ($149 last night, $199 today :frowning2: )
  6. Sennheiser HD Pro 280 (Sounded better to me than the 380 Pro)
  7. Sennheiser HD 439 (Haven't heard, but on sale today at Best Buy $79)

I like Bass a lot, but not at the cost of muffled mids.  I have heard Beats Pros, and to me they sound pretty good.  I am brand new to good headphones and value opinions and research I have been reading here.  My comments and thoughts are a little discombobulated, but hopefully there is enough information in this post to help in a recommendation on my first step to becoming an Audiophile.

Thanks

Jan 6, 2013 at 3:58 PM Post #22,930 of 29,490
Hello!

I need the MOST comfortable headphone possible, within $250.

So far I have the DT 770 PRO 32/80 OHMS in my list.

Do you guys have other suggestions?

Im gonna be using mostly a portable mp3 player/ipod/iphone. Sometimes will use it with my PC/notebook.

Again, being comfortable is a must have feature. Portability would be the 2nd most important feature :)

THank you!

Jan 6, 2013 at 4:03 PM Post #22,931 of 29,490
Quote:
I have been reading this forum for a couple of days now...  When I get close to deciding I discover more questions.  I'm a big value, bang for the buck kind of guy.  For example, I like Sobieski Vodka for the price instead of pricier Grey Goose.

Regarding Headphones, I mainly listen to music (Pop, Pink Floyd, Blues, Jazz), movies and TV series on an iPad.  I would prefer keeping the initial investment around $200 but can increase if it warrants.  ie Needing an amp or DAC needs to be considered in the equation.

I do have decent stereo equipment and have acquired a taste for good sound quality.  I have 18 Polk Audio Powered SW, Yamaha 7.1 Receiver, JBL Speakers, and Monster Cables.

I have been looking at the following headphones.

1. Audio-Technica ATH-M50 ($125)
  2. Sennheiser HD 558 ($160)
  3. Sennheiser HD 598
    ir
    ($211)
  4. Grado SR-80i - ($100)
  5. AIAI TMA-1 (Sounded pretty Good ) ($149 last night, $199 today :frowning2: )
  6. Sennheiser HD Pro 280 (Sounded better to me than the 380 Pro)
  7. Sennheiser HD 439 (Haven't heard, but on sale today at Best Buy $79)

I like Bass a lot, but not at the cost of muffled mids.  I have heard Beats Pros, and to me they sound pretty good.  I am brand new to good headphones and value opinions and research I have been reading here.  My comments and thoughts are a little discombobulated, but hopefully there is enough information in this post to help in a recommendation on my first step to becoming an Audiophile.

Thanks

When most people who post here say they "like bass", they usually mean that they like their bass presented in a way where it is presented in far more quality than delivered in a neutral sound signature that reproduces the track as it was laid down. 

If that is your meaning, the Grado and Senns won't work for you.  The M-50 has recessed mids relative to its bass and treble, so it is probably not a good choice either.  I have not heard the AIAI.  You should also check out the Spider Powerforce, which can be had for $70 shipped.

Jan 6, 2013 at 4:13 PM Post #22,932 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello!

Im gonna be using mostly a portable mp3 player/ipod/iphone. Sometimes will use it with my PC/notebook.

Again, being comfortable is a must have feature. Portability would be the 2nd most important feature :)

THank you!

If you want the legendary Beyer comfort, and portability, I would go for the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro.

Jan 6, 2013 at 4:18 PM Post #22,933 of 29,490
Quote:
When most people who post here say they "like bass", they usually mean that they like their bass presented in a way where it is presented in far more quality than delivered in a neutral sound signature that reproduces the track as it was laid down. 

If that is your meaning, the Grado and Senns won't work for you.  The M-50 has recessed mids relative to its bass and treble, so it is probably not a good choice either.  I have not heard the AIAI.  You should also check out the Spider Powerforce, which can be had for $70 shipped.

I dis agree on the Senns.  The Bass is really quite Neutral for the price point of $80, Some people want more, but For me I think it's quite good.
Out of his list, I must say the best sounding ones I've heard was the 558.  (My next Buy).  Everything else you said was dead on.  Maybe I'm a Big Senn fan:)
I'd say if his budget is $200 Look at the 558.  Then Buy some music with the left over $

Jan 6, 2013 at 4:21 PM Post #22,934 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello!

THank you!

The giant DT 770 is anything but portable.

The Sony DR-ZX701IP and sibling Sony MDR-ZX700 best meet both of your requirements for under $100.  Also check out the Senn HD 25-1-II.

Jan 6, 2013 at 4:23 PM Post #22,935 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:

I dis agree on the Senns.  The Bass is really quite Neutral for the price point of $80, Some people want more, but For me I think it's quite good.
Out of his list, I must say the best sounding ones I've heard was the 558.  (My next Buy).  Everything else you said was dead on.  Maybe I'm a Big Senn fan:)
I'd say if his budget is $200 Look at the 558.  Then Buy some music with the left over $

I agree with you about your description of the bass offered by the HD 558, but I don't think neutral bass is what the poster is seeking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back