++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Dec 29, 2012 at 10:53 AM Post #22,666 of 29,490
I have been looking at the Phillips Fidelio X1 because they are on sale and they seem really good, don't own a open backed but have heard Grados before so know the soundstage is awesome. Headfonia gave a review on it and it seemed good, and compared it to the Senn HD 650.  I then proceeded to look for reviews on Head-fi but couldn't find any. So if any have heard them and could give me their impressions and say if they are worth it, I would be very thankful :D

Dec 29, 2012 at 12:12 PM Post #22,667 of 29,490
Hi guys, please help me :)
What is the best USB DAC/Amp for about $200? I do NOT want it to be portable, I will be using it with either my PC or Macbook Pro.
I currently have a Burson Audio 160D which I am selling because it is an OVERKILL for my future V-Moda (I think I will get V-moda, the build and sound quality are attractive!)

Schiit Magni and Modi stack could be a good option. Seems to be very popular at the moment but I've not heard them myself yet.

Dec 29, 2012 at 12:54 PM Post #22,668 of 29,490
Quote:

You could always check out the Takstar Pro80.

They're really good allround phones for their price. They would not be the best for classical but would do a good job for you're other needs. Maybe the Takstar HI2050 could be an alternative as well. They should have a larger soundstage being open.

These Takstar's have their own thread here that you can look at:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/585356/the-takstar-technical-pro-gemini-thread

Really liking what I'm reading about these. I can get them for around $130 though, just wondering if I can get anything better for that money? They seem to be about $80 in the US.

Dec 29, 2012 at 1:19 PM Post #22,669 of 29,490
Hello everybody merry Christmas for all of you

i own the Sansa clip + 4gb and it is good player but the stock earphone came with it are really bad .... I'm considering buying a cheap but good headphone so i did the research and about to order the Superlux HD-668 B ... the question is will that compo work well ? Sansa clip + & Superlux HD-668 B .... will i need amplifier to get good results of the Superlux HD-668 B or the sansa will drive them well ?

thanks & Best Regards

Dec 29, 2012 at 3:16 PM Post #22,671 of 29,490
Hey guys

Ever since I got more interested in music, my pair of old logitech speakers is anything but satisfying. Now I am looking for a closed, preferably around the ear headphone to get me started into audiophiledom

Audio Source: PC Mainboard sound without any Amp

Used for: Music exclusively. Minimal/Ambient/Dub Techno, UK Garage/Funky/Dubstep, Deep House, Drone, Ambient, Post-Rock, Hardcore Punk/Screamo/Emoviolence, Emo, Post-/Black Metal, Free Jazz/Bebop/Swing, Trip/Hip Hop, Noise, Pop ... basically anything. I got in-ears for outside use, so I don't need straight up portables. Although it would be a plus to be able to use them on a longer trip by train or something like that.

Extra: Should I get a proper Soundcard or an Amp or something like that? And if so what would you suggest?

Budget: ~200€ tops for the headphones, below or about 300€ including  soundcard/amp etc.

Thanks in advance!

Dec 29, 2012 at 7:26 PM Post #22,672 of 29,490
Hi,

Possible audiophile in the making here, looking for some help.

I am looking for some new equipment in the mid- to upper mid range.

Currently I am using the Sony MDR-V6 which I enjoy a lot, but I wish to enhance my music experience even more. I mostly stream music using Spotify (320kbps), through my computer (P8Z77-V motherboard, Realtek® ALC892 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC). I also have a Cowon D2 mp3 player (I think the MDR-V6 sounds great with this mp3 player), and a Samsung S3 (because I can use Spotify with it) where I use the standard Samsung IEM.

What kind of music? Everything, but what I especially would like to experience to the max is this: Eva Cassidy, since I love her vocals. So the headphones should be great with high female voices. I also listen to electronica a lot, for example: Trentemöller - The Last Resort is an album I currently listen to. Fever Ray/The Knife, Daft Punk and stuff like that. Also Metallica (especially Welcome Home (Sanitarium), I even have my own EQ settings for this particular song (same goes for Eva Cassidy - Over the Rainbow)), and Pantera, Kurt Nilsen, et al. I mostly enjoy great vocals (Hetfield and Anselmo have great voices) and various electronic sounds with nice bass.

Any suggestions?

The headphones I've been looking mostly at are: Sennheiser HD650 and Hifiman HE-400. Reasonable price and hopefully the step up I am looking for. I really want to use every component to it's full potential, so what kind of AMP would you suggest? I really know nothing about AMPs and what else is needed to maximize my music experience. To be able to enjoy FLAC songs to the fullest would be very nice.

Thanks, 
Bearus

Dec 29, 2012 at 8:53 PM Post #22,673 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:

What sound signature do you prefer?

What equipment will be powering these can?  Will you use an amp?

Since you are considering the Grado, I assume that open cans that leak sound are OK.

Thanks, and my apologies. I knew I had missed something out. Open cans are mostly okay, but I'd prefer closed ones so that I can use them outside. I have earphones for that though, so it isn't a big deal.

Mostly using my Xonar DG soundcard which has a built in amp (pretty cheap though, so not a great one) but they might also get some use on my phone which I use as an MP3 player.
Ideally I'd prefer a fairly flat sound signature. Not too interested in overwhelming bass or treble.

Since it appears to matter, I live in the UK, and my budget is £100 ($161.52).  However, I'm looking at the sr225i and the HD 558s and they are way out of budget. I was looking at the sr 60i's because they land exactly around £100.

What is the UK price of the Alessandro MS-1?  It's a better can and maybe for less money (most compare it to the SR 125).

Dec 29, 2012 at 9:06 PM Post #22,674 of 29,490
Quote:
Budget: ~£100 - ATH M50 (£130 give or take) are the upper limit to my budget

Need: Closed cans for PC/travel use. Music, movies and some gaming. Previous headphones have been <£50 so this is a first step.

Used for: Xonar DG sound card or ipod

Music tastes: Bit of everything - rock, classic rock, heavy metal, electronic, indie, classical, hipster-ish stuff (1 man and a guitar etc)

Looked at:
ATH-M50 - seems like the best all rounder
Shure SRH840
Ultrasone HIFI 580/780

Anyone able to either give me a definite case of "Buy this one, it's great and fine", or more options to look at.

The Shure SRH 840, Ultrasone HiFi 780 and KRK KNS 8400 all have a more balanced sound signature and are better suited for intended uses than is the M50.

Dec 29, 2012 at 9:21 PM Post #22,675 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi guys, please help me :)
What is the best USB DAC/Amp for about $200? I do NOT want it to be portable, I will be using it with either my PC or Macbook Pro.
I currently have a Burson Audio 160D which I am selling because it is an OVERKILL for my future V-Moda (I think I will get V-moda, the build and sound quality are attractive!)

No matter which one you select, it will be a long way down from the Burson.

Based on US prices, the HiFiMan EF2A is a nice hybrid unit.  Your pairing may well be at least as important as which unit is best in general.

Dec 29, 2012 at 9:49 PM Post #22,676 of 29,490
Quote:
I have been looking at the Phillips Fidelio X1 because they are on sale and they seem really good, don't own a open backed but have heard Grados before so know the soundstage is awesome. Headfonia gave a review on it and it seemed good, and compared it to the Senn HD 650.  I then proceeded to look for reviews on Head-fi but couldn't find any. So if any have heard them and could give me their impressions and say if they are worth it, I would be very thankful :D

What you have "heard" does not sound very accurate overall to me and my ears.  For example--the SR 60i does not have a very good sound stage for an open  can, and while good in its price range, it can't touch the HD 650.  They are simply in two different classes--and should be based on their respective prices.

Check the "Head Gear" tab at the top of the page to find some in house reviews.

Dec 29, 2012 at 11:03 PM Post #22,677 of 29,490
Dear community,

I just splurged on some Heir Audio 3.ai IEMs (pats self on the back). Nevertheless, I am aware of the fact that with these beautiful pieces of art on their way, I should probably get myself a AMP/DAC for my listening needs. Here's the deal

Earbud Type: Heir Audio 3.AI

Music Type: Electronic, EDM, Techno, and well, similar genres. 

File type: 320 kbps/ FLAC/ ALAC

Source: Home Desktop/ Apple iPod Touch 4th Gen./ Nokia Lumia 822

Budget: $200 on Amazon.com only. I am currently broke (I know, "Welcome to Head-Fi, say goodbye to your wallet), but I do have $200 Amazon credit.

Extra: I want these for portable use as well as it being a AMP and a DAC. Hence, I have been looking heavily into Fiio Products, as they offer both. I have been looking at the Fiio E17 as well as the Fiio Andes (Fiio E07K). Has anyone used either, and/or can recommend one over the other?

Also, all ideas/ opinions are welcome! I love hearing about wonderful things from you!

~Kami

Dec 29, 2012 at 11:04 PM Post #22,678 of 29,490
Hi guys I'm new to Head-fi,

I have been looking for new headphones since I lost my old sennheisers from 4 years ago.  After reading up on old posts, I took interest in the Denon 2k's for overall sound quality bc I listen to a wide range of genre's (EDM, house, hip hop/rap, alternative rock, classic rock)  I've been patiently checking the market over a few weeks for some D2K's but at
1 new from $527.80 2 used from $425.00 Amazon and $400+ and S&H from the UK on ebay, these cans seem a bit overpriced.  Not sure if I should just keep checking past the holiday season or just go ahead and pull the trigger on another comparable pair.  Any recommendations?  Thanks.

Tristen

Dec 29, 2012 at 11:04 PM Post #22,679 of 29,490
Quote:
Dear community,

I just splurged on some Heir Audio 3.ai IEMs (pats self on the back). Nevertheless, I am aware of the fact that with these beautiful pieces of art on their way, I should probably get myself a AMP/DAC for my listening needs. Here's the deal

Earbud Type: Heir Audio 3.AI

Music Type: Electronic, EDM, Techno, and well, similar genres. 

File type: 320 kbps/ FLAC/ ALAC

Source: Home Desktop/ Apple iPod Touch 4th Gen./ Nokia Lumia 822

Budget: $200 on Amazon.com only. I am currently broke (I know, "Welcome to Head-Fi, say goodbye to your wallet), but I do have $200 Amazon credit.

Extra: I want these for portable use as well as it being a AMP and a DAC. Hence, I have been looking heavily into Fiio Products, as they offer both. I have been looking at the Fiio E17 as well as the Fiio Andes (Fiio E07K). Has anyone used either, and/or can recommend one over the other?

Also, all ideas/ opinions are welcome! I love hearing about wonderful things from you!

~Kami

This is the recommendations thread for full sized headphones.

Dec 29, 2012 at 11:06 PM Post #22,680 of 29,490
Quote:
This is the recommendations thread for full sized headphones.

Whoops! My bad! I'll take this somewhere else then.

Thanks 
wink_face.gif

~Kami

Users who are viewing this thread

Back