++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Dec 26, 2012 at 1:09 AM Post #22,561 of 29,490
What I own: Yuin PK3, Grado SR80
Source: Ipod/computer
Music: Indie rock and rap
Where will I use them: Library and quite places
Cost: 100 max, preferably less

I need a closed headphone that works well unamped and that I can wear in public places. Right now I'm between two pairs:
The Koss DJ Pro 100's and creative aurvana lives.

Which do you think is better, or can you recommend something better for the price?

Dec 26, 2012 at 1:52 AM Post #22,562 of 29,490
Quote:
Dilemma guys... Ok so I want to get another set of cans, I'm kind of set on the HE400's but my Fiio E11's input broke after I dropped it on the LOD while it was in the port. I'm undecided on whether I should get the HE400's first or buy a Pico amp. I currently have UE TF10's JVC FXT90s and my Senn HD 558 cans. Would I be happy with the HE400's straight out of my iPad and out of my Fiio E11 (works when the cable is angled right) or should I get the Pico for now and rock my current equipment?

Screw it, I pulled the trigger on the HE-400's with velour pads from HeadAmp. I'll repair my Fiio E11 for now and I'll get the Lyr down the road in a short bit. 

Dec 26, 2012 at 2:12 AM Post #22,563 of 29,490
Quote:
What I own: Yuin PK3, Grado SR80
Source: Ipod/computer
Music: Indie rock and rap
Where will I use them: Library and quite places
Cost: 100 max, preferably less

I need a closed headphone that works well unamped and that I can wear in public places. Right now I'm between two pairs:
The Koss DJ Pro 100's and creative aurvana lives.

Which do you think is better, or can you recommend something better for the price?

The CAL! has better/more bass and is easier to drive.  So you'll probably like it better.

Dec 26, 2012 at 2:18 AM Post #22,564 of 29,490
Music genres: I like dynamic sounding music, although my tastes can vary anywhere from Trip-Hop to Grindcore.
Portable: Nope, just for computer use. 
Price range: Anything from $240-$300. I don't mind reaching a little above if it makes a huge difference.
Amped: I'm pretty unfamiliar with amps and DACs, but I'd love to learn. I'm currently sporting an ASUS Xonar Essence STX sound card if that helps.
Closed/Open: Open. Noise cancellation is not important.
Headphone preference: I'm looking for something spacious that focuses more on clarity than boosting the treble or bass. Being able to hear the details of each instrument playing is the biggest priority for me.

I've been doing a little bit of research and I think I'm interested in getting AKG K701s. Is this a good choice? What would be some similar headphones to compare to? 

Thanks in advance! Any opinion is welcome.

Dec 26, 2012 at 2:20 AM Post #22,565 of 29,490
On second thought, for my friend.
Wanted: Beats Solos, I steered him away
Budget: $180
Wants: Bass, other features welcome IMO though. 

Fire away guys. 

Dec 26, 2012 at 2:26 AM Post #22,566 of 29,490
I agree but if someone is inexperienced here, see's your post count and reads that, they may get the wrong impression and hence it would convince them more than it really should, since it's just one persons opinion.. if you get me... all i'm saying is that it's safer to rephrase things like that.. I just dislike it when people say this is the "best" this and "best" that, since it's so vague/subjective.. and as a result many noobs take it too literally and treat it like it's a hard fact

What KG Jag said is perfectly fine. Being one of the most affordable orthodynamics available and basically only competing with dynamic cans in its price range, the HE-500 is indeed technically superior in a lot of ways to its competition. Obviously that doesn't guarantee that everyone will prefer it but its not just an opinion. And when it is, that's fine too. People come here to get educated opinions based on experience and KG Jag is someone who can give them that.

There are the technical abilities & performance of a headphone and then there are personal preferences. When someone reliable & experienced like KG Jag says a headphone is the 'best' in its price range I think its implied & obvious that he is referring to measurable/verifiable attributes and not implying that everyone would prefer it over all others or even completely agree with the overall assessment.

Dec 26, 2012 at 3:13 AM Post #22,567 of 29,490
Quote:

That's a tough one.  From my experiences of closed headphones that I've owned or auditioned, my impressions of overall were sound quality are Edition 8> SRH940>D7000>D5000 = SRH840>DT250-250>K271>HD 25>MDR V6>DT770-80.  Of these, D7000, D5000 and DT770-80 emphasize the bass.  However the former two are not truly closed as sound leaks in & out like mad, and they are vastly overpriced for their flawed sound quality (recessed mids, hot treble).  And the DT770-80 are the worst closed headphones that I have heard.  Under $400, SRH840 & SRH940 are the winners by a mile imo, but they have *much* more neutral signatures.  SRH840 slightly emphasize the mid-bass so they are more bass-heavy than the SRH940, but the merits of the 940 are that they remedy every imperfection of the SRH840 (slightly rounded off treble, an enclosed and dark sound).  If overall sound quality is a bigger priority than the emphasized bass, I think that the best option would be to get the SRH940 and an inexpensive amp like the fiio that has bass boost.  

Thank you a lot for the advice.
What do you think about the K505?
To be honest what I am looking for is durability so how good are the Shure in terms of durability?

Dec 26, 2012 at 4:06 AM Post #22,568 of 29,490
I need advice on which headphones to buy. The most I will spend is 350$. I can go up to 400$ if I also need an amp.

They need to be closed.

I will only be listening to them at home.

I've been looking at the Ultrasone pro 900's, beyer t70/t70p, Denon D2000.

Here are 3 tracks that represent the kind of music I listen to. It's Liquid Drum N' Bass, so if anyone listens to Liquicity on youtube I'd love to hear which headphones you use to listen to this kind of music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=km9emna0lJ4  (Maduk - Avalon)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCIRGJQ6zGc (Apex - String Theory)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3zVAOwPCFw (Netsky - Come back home)

If someone could help me with this, I'd really appreciate it!

Dec 26, 2012 at 4:14 AM Post #22,569 of 29,490
Quote:
Music genres: I like dynamic sounding music, although my tastes can vary anywhere from Trip-Hop to Grindcore.
Portable: Nope, just for computer use. 
Price range: Anything from $240-$300. I don't mind reaching a little above if it makes a huge difference.
Amped: I'm pretty unfamiliar with amps and DACs, but I'd love to learn. I'm currently sporting an ASUS Xonar Essence STX sound card if that helps.
Closed/Open: Open. Noise cancellation is not important.
Headphone preference: I'm looking for something spacious that focuses more on clarity than boosting the treble or bass. Being able to hear the details of each instrument playing is the biggest priority for me.

I've been doing a little bit of research and I think I'm interested in getting AKG K701s. Is this a good choice? What would be some similar headphones to compare to? 

Thanks in advance! Any opinion is welcome.

Don't know about your sound card, but the more recently released Q 701 is an excellent choice.  In the U.S. it can be had for less than the older K 701.

The closed Shure SRH 940 is also very good for detail reproduction, but will give you a smaller sound stage.

Neither of these cans are bass oriented cans.

The Beyer DT 880 (+/- Pro)  is an excellent choice as well.  Some will also like the Grado SR 325is or Alessandro MS-2i.

Dec 26, 2012 at 4:34 AM Post #22,570 of 29,490
Quote:
On second thought, for my friend.
Wanted: Beats Solos, I steered him away
Budget: $180
Wants: Bass, other features welcome IMO though. 

Fire away guys. 

Well, he could check out the M-audio Q40. It's supposed to have great bass and be good balanced allover. I've ordered these myself for bass cans but they will not arrive until January.

Dec 26, 2012 at 7:47 AM Post #22,571 of 29,490
Quote:
Thank you a lot for the advice.
What do you think about the K505?
To be honest what I am looking for is durability so how good are the Shure in terms of durability?

I actually haven't heard the K505 so can't say how they sound, sorry.  I haven't had durability problems with my Shure headphones (currently own SRH840, & SE535), people have posted about durability problems with 940 but I don't know if it's worse than other headphones.  Shure does have a good return policy- I developed a channel imbalance in my SE530 a few days before the 2 year warranty ran out, which was probably a result of wax deep in the earpiece and they sent me a brand new set of $500 SE535 earbuds.

Dec 26, 2012 at 4:35 PM Post #22,572 of 29,490
Ever since I bought my SR-80s I have been left craving more. The detail is awesome and I really love the grado sound, but I'm not exactly sure what it is that it's lacking...I like headphones that I can kind get lost in and I feel as though its hard with the openess of the headphones...But I am up for more open air headphones if the sound quality is that much better...

So...any suggestions for an upgrade? Are the next level grado's a lot better? 

I love listening to everything so something that's robust would do me good!

Dec 26, 2012 at 5:00 PM Post #22,573 of 29,490
Quote:
yes 
smile.gif
  If you could spend $700 HE500 would be a noticeable improvement.

I can spend 700 if it's a good improvement.  Where can I find them for 700 ? :).

Dec 26, 2012 at 5:08 PM Post #22,574 of 29,490
I love my Sennheiser 598's but I feel for certain types of music they are lacking in bass.  I'm looking for headphones that would go well as a contrast to these headphones, with a budget of up to $300 but not a hard limit.

I'm looking to avoid piercing highs as I find that very fatiguing.  Sometimes, depending on the music, the HD598's can be too bright (is that the right way to describe?).  So I'd like some heavy bass, probably closed headphones, and not so piercing on the highs.

I had made a separate thread not realizing that this one was here...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back