++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Dec 15, 2012 at 9:48 AM Post #22,247 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello everyone! My family have been a bunch of audiophiles for as long as I remember but I've never paid much attention to it until lately when I've noticed that I'm not enjoying the music as much as I used to and started looking around.
Anyway, I'm trying to buy my father a set of cans that are ultra comfortable and portable with room to sacrifice in the audio department. He still travels from time to time and will pretty much use it in transit (flights, cars, etc) only. As he is in his 60's I would like to get him something that's more of a classical beauty than something gaudy.
Because he will be using these primarily in flights and whatnot if it had some noise cancelling features it would obviously be a plus. He listens primarily to classical, jazz, and some oldie pops. Oh and they're probably going to be used for in-flight movies as well...)
I first started with some DT 1350's but figured that because the pads won't go over his entire ear he would not enjoy them after a while. Moving onto bigger cups I came across more of the NC's in the Bose QC15's, the new UE 6000's (maybe the style is too young) and Sony MDR-1NC's (kind of pushing the limit at $500).
I would like to keep it in the $200-350 range but if anyone can recommend something that is really going to kick ass then I'd be willing to spend more.
I forgot mention that knowing him even if I got him a portable amp he would not carry it with him so these need to be driven from either his phone, a Verizon Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy 10.1, or sockets on the plane...yeah...
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

I'm not too familiar with noise-canceling headphones, but from what I've heard, the Sennheiser HD380 Pro may be a good choice for your father. They are noise-canceling and can be driven without an amp.

Dec 15, 2012 at 9:54 AM Post #22,249 of 29,490
Hi all,
I've been reading up here and there for the past couple months, and am about ready to take the plunge on getting a new pair of cans. I'll be retiring my very faithful Sennheiser HD 202's, which served really well, especially considering the beating they've taken along the way. I've finally got some disposable cash that I can put towards a next-level pair of headphones, and am looking at a budget of about $120-$200 .. not higher, but lower is ok.
That's my total budget, too -- not considering any amps or other add-ons.

I've narrowed it down to 3 sets: Audio Technica M-50s, V-Moda M-80s LP2, and Noontec Zoros (though I'm open to other suggestions). I don't have the luxury of testing them all for myself before buying.

I'll be using them mostly on lengthy subway commutes, so noise isolation and comfort are important. I'm also in Tokyo, where fellow commuters are pretty much dead silent.. so noise bleed is a definite no-no. I'll be listening almost exclusively on my iPod Touch (first generation!) and want to be able to get it up to about 80-85% volume level without having to worry about others hearing anything from my set (never had a problem with my HD 202s, even at 100%). 

I really value neutrality and versatility. I listen to music from all corners of the genre map, and don't want anything that's tailored to one specific set of musical characteristics.  Sound quality is top priority, and I don't care about aesthetic style.

Would appreciate any rec's based on these characteristics (in short: isolation, sound bleed, neutrality, value). From all I've read, I sort of get the impression that the M-50s are probably the most consistent performers in those categories, but the anti-populist in me wants to avoid making what seems to be the obvious choice without checking absolutely everything out. If it's the best hands down, though, I'll have no problems taking it.

Thanks in advance,
-wd

Dec 15, 2012 at 10:07 AM Post #22,250 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi all,
I've been reading up here and there for the past couple months, and am about ready to take the plunge on getting a new pair of cans. I'll be retiring my very faithful Sennheiser HD 202's, which served really well, especially considering the beating they've taken along the way. I've finally got some disposable cash that I can put towards a next-level pair of headphones, and am looking at a budget of about $120-$200 .. not higher, but lower is ok.
That's my total budget, too -- not considering any amps or other add-ons.

I've narrowed it down to 3 sets: Audio Technica M-50s, V-Moda M-80s, and Noontec Zoros (though I'm open to other suggestions). I don't have the luxury of testing them all for myself before buying.

I'll be using them mostly on lengthy subway commutes, so noise isolation and comfort are important. I'm also in Tokyo, where fellow commuters are pretty much dead silent.. so noise bleed is a definite no-no. I'll be listening almost exclusively on my iPod Touch (first generation!) and want to be able to get it up to about 80-85% volume level without having to worry about others hearing anything from my set (never had a problem with my HD 202s, even at 100%). 

I really value neutrality and versatility. I listen to music from all corners of the genre map, and don't want anything that's tailored to one specific set of musical characteristics.  Sound quality is top priority, and I don't care about aesthetic style.

Would appreciate any rec's based on these characteristics (in short: isolation, sound bleed, neutrality, value). From all I've read, I sort of get the impression that the M-50s are probably the most consistent performers in those categories, but the anti-populist in me wants to avoid making what seems to be the obvious choice without checking absolutely everything out. If it's the best hands down, though, I'll have no problems taking it.

Thanks in advance,
-wd

The ATH-M50 is quite overrated on this site. Since the M-80 and Zoro are on-ear, I'm not sure how much sound leak there would be. I would get the Shure SRH-840. They go for around $180 on Amazon. They're a well rounded pair of cans that should work very well with just an iPod, so no amplifier is necessary. If they end up being a bit too expensive, then the Sennheiser HD280 Pro would be a good alternative. 

Dec 15, 2012 at 10:24 AM Post #22,251 of 29,490
Quote:

The ATH-M50 is quite overrated on this site. Since the M-80 and Zoro are on-ear, I'm not sure how much sound leak there would be. I would get the Shure SRH-840. They go for around $180 on Amazon. They're a well rounded pair of cans that should work very well with just an iPod, so no amplifier is necessary. If they end up being a bit too expensive, then the Sennheiser HD280 Pro would be a good alternative. 

Hey, thanks for the response! And yeah, the ATH-M50 does seem suspiciously well-rated everywhere though never seems to be anyone's ultimate recommendation for a really great set.. I mean, if they're rated so consistently high, there must be a reason for that-- though without hearing them myself, for whatever reason I don't quite trust it. What specifically makes you say they're overrated?

For the on-ear sets, I've heard differing experiences on how much isolation/leakage there. Those are two that have been described as very neutral, though, which is why they're on my list. I'd really like to know more about how they compare to HD 202's in the isolation/leakage category. But maybe it's just wishful thinking that they could be practical that way despite not being over-the-ear.
..just realized I actually meant to write the LP2 for the V-Moda, which are closed.

And thanks for the rec-- I've seen those Shure's mentioned before and I'll take a closer look at them. From what I've seen so far, it seems as though they're okay but are missing that something extra that is talked about in a lot of the M-80/Zoro reviews.

Dec 15, 2012 at 10:25 AM Post #22,252 of 29,490
HI
Hi I want to buy a new pair of headpones i currently own ATH M50s , superlux HD668b , Brainwavz R1 and bose sie2 i have a fiio E7 and mostly use Sansa clip zip or ipod 5.5 LOD with 320 and FLAC so I really cant make my mind I was thinking of Grado sr80i or fostex t50rp (i have a 100$) budget (i listen to mostly rock - metal = 80% some latin music with acoustic guitars and similar 15% and electro music from time to time 5%) I like DIY and modding not afraid of modding any of the headphones
i will most likely buy headphones but if someone gives me a option for IEM that are very very good at that price range i will most likely buy them

Thanks in advance

Dec 15, 2012 at 11:13 AM Post #22,254 of 29,490
Hi. Like most people seeking help here, I'm relatively new to this site.

I'm looking for a new pair of head-phones ($120 maximum), for home listening.
For starters: I mostly listen to rock, metal and acoustic/folk music, but I'm always willing to expand to other genres so the phones have to sound good with all kinds of music (or as far as my small budget lets them).
Also: I live in mexico, so the best I can get here is a Sennheiser HD 518 for arround $180 (pricey...). BUT a friend of mine is going on a trip to the Stated, so I can get something better and cheaper.

The Grado SR80is seem like a good choice but many people say they can't keep up if the music is too fast or too loud (bad things for a metalhead). People also say they are more rock oriented, so R&B and Electronic may suffer because of that.

Please Head-Fiers, enlighten me with your audio wizardry!
(and thanks in advance)

Dec 15, 2012 at 1:13 PM Post #22,256 of 29,490
Quote:

Thanks for the help! Just out of curiosity, why would I want something with a faster bass (and what would that be?) I am not listening to much dubstep type music (ambient and post rock don't have the thump) -- unless "bass" refers to something different in audiophile language? Sorry for the questions, I'm new to all this!

A slower bass will make the music sound a bit muddy. I think something like the sennheiser hd25 probably what you're looking for.

Dec 15, 2012 at 1:37 PM Post #22,257 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey, thanks for the response! And yeah, the ATH-M50 does seem suspiciously well-rated everywhere though never seems to be anyone's ultimate recommendation for a really great set.. I mean, if they're rated so consistently high, there must be a reason for that-- though without hearing them myself, for whatever reason I don't quite trust it. What specifically makes you say they're overrated?

For the on-ear sets, I've heard differing experiences on how much isolation/leakage there. Those are two that have been described as very neutral, though, which is why they're on my list. I'd really like to know more about how they compare to HD 202's in the isolation/leakage category. But maybe it's just wishful thinking that they could be practical that way despite not being over-the-ear.
..just realized I actually meant to write the LP2 for the V-Moda, which are closed.

And thanks for the rec-- I've seen those Shure's mentioned before and I'll take a closer look at them. From what I've seen so far, it seems as though they're okay but are missing that something extra that is talked about in a lot of the M-80/Zoro reviews.

Well, the Shure SRH-840 is more of a monitor phone, but can definitely be used as a portable. The M-80 and Zoro are designed for portable use mainly. Same with the LP2. Many will say that the Zoro and LP2 are more 'fun' sounding than the Shure, and that's more than likely true. 'Fun' sounding doesn't mean they are generally better, though, as it is all about personal preference. For the Zoro, I'm not too sure how much I would really recommend those, due to their almost-identical appearance to Beats Solo. The build quality of those has me worried. Beats Solo are known to break VERY easily, so the Zoro may suffer the same flaw, but, I have no personal experience with them, so it is just an assumption of mine.

As for the M50, they really are just 'good' headphones. They're well rounded, but are a bit overpriced for what they really are. Audio Technica even RAISED the price on the newer model of the M50, which has less bass. A lot of people get the M50 as their first 'real' headphone, so they give it too much praise. Soundstage is generally lacking with them; sometimes comfort as well. I may have to refer you to Head-Fi user MalVeauX, because he knows much more about the M50 and how they compare to other headphones than I do. 

Dec 15, 2012 at 2:16 PM Post #22,259 of 29,490
K550. Looks classy, sounds great, easy to drive, decent isolation, in your budget. It's a bit big to be portables but if he's going to use them during rides then there should be no problem.
I'm not too familiar with noise-canceling headphones, but from what I've heard, the Sennheiser HD380 Pro may be a good choice for your father. They are noise-canceling and can be driven without an amp.

?

The HD 380 is NOT an NC headphone. Clamping force is quite tight, and has a very heavy long coiled cable making it less than ideal for portability.

Dec 15, 2012 at 2:20 PM Post #22,260 of 29,490
Gahhh....so as i've said so many times on here, i've been debating whether to get the he-400's or vmoda m100's. Two completely different sound signatures, uses, sizes, etc.....
See, i need a pair of headphones for home listening and another for when i'm on the go. I plan on getting both eventually, but i want one of them for now...the vmoda's are more useful, while the he-400's are better sound-wise. I have about $500 so i can only get one of them, and the he-400's probably require a an amp/dac. So what would you do, head-fi? (i listen to radiohead, arcade fire, muse, and edm)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back