++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Dec 14, 2012 at 11:04 PM Post #22,231 of 29,490
I am looking at buying a new pair of over ear phones and I am almost sure that what I want is the ultrasone pro 900s. I will mostly be using these for use at my computer and I plan on powering them with a fiio e7. I listen to mostly dub-step, rap, pop and some rock. I currently own a pair of ultimate ears tripplefi10s and really like the sound from these though maybe just a little bass light. I also plan on doing the kees mod to these headphones.

So my questions are 
1. Will this amp/headphone combination work together well?
2. Will these headphones fit with the style music that I listen to well (from what i have read they should be perfect)?
3. Is the kees mod worth doing? I have read that is brings out the mids more as well as smoothing out the highs do you know how well it works?

thanks

Dec 14, 2012 at 11:22 PM Post #22,232 of 29,490
Wow such quick responses! Thanks!

K550. Looks classy, sounds great, easy to drive, decent isolation, in your budget. It's a bit big to be portables but if he's going to use them during rides then there should be no problem.

From reading Tyll's review it would seem like a great choice but I am afraid of the portability issue. And I would have to get a carrying case as well. But this might be the best choice if I can't figure something else out.

The Sennheiser MM450 ANC headphone is on goldbox sale right this second on amazon for $200. I had the MM550 and enjoyed it. Much, much better SQ than bose although the bose ANC is beats everyone else I have tried.

The MM450's have the problem in that they don't really go OVER the ear. Both my father and I wear glasses and periodic listening with cups that push on the ear always tend to cause fatigue where the rims lie...

i would recommend the bowers P5....
its classy enough for older folks to be seen in it,
sounds great off samsung fones...soundstage is deep.
though it is on ear, its very comfy..
the isolation quite good cos the memoryfoam makes a great seal.

P5 is an interesting idea but with the same problem mentioned above. Does the memory foam offset any pressure on the ear? Also I was thinking most likely I would need to do a sock mod or a velour earcup change to anything I buy for him so this would make it a tough choice.

Dec 14, 2012 at 11:29 PM Post #22,233 of 29,490
Wow such quick responses! Thanks!
From reading Tyll's review it would seem like a great choice but I am afraid of the portability issue. And I would have to get a carrying case as well. But this might be the best choice if I can't figure something else out.
The MM450's have the problem in that they don't really go OVER the ear. Both my father and I wear glasses and periodic listening with cups that push on the ear always tend to cause fatigue where the rims lie...
P5 is an interesting idea but with the same problem mentioned above. Does the memory foam offset any pressure on the ear? Also I was thinking most likely I would need to do a sock mod or a velour earcup change to anything I buy for him so this would make it a tough choice.

Check out that MM550. It seems that it would be good for glasses wearers. The K550 is impossible with glasses and agreed too large for travel. I love my 550 and might even take them with me on my next flight but they are a risky fit I think.

I'd throw out the UE6000 but with the ANC turned on they are bass bazookas.

The MM550 can be found for a bit over $300 (not the newer MM550X).

Perhaps just good isolation would do the trick. have you tried like the Momentum out yet? I haven't had the chance myself so I couldn't tell you on that one.

Dec 14, 2012 at 11:48 PM Post #22,234 of 29,490
Check out that MM550. It seems that it would be good for glasses wearers. The K550 is impossible with glasses and agreed too large for travel. I love my 550 and might even take them with me on my next flight but they are a risky fit I think.
I'd throw out the UE6000 but with the ANC turned on they are bass bazookas.
The MM550 can be found for a bit over $300 (not the newer MM550X).
Perhaps just good isolation would do the trick. have you tried like the Momentum out yet? I haven't had the chance myself so I couldn't tell you on that one.

MM550's might be the fit for what he would need. The cups look a tad small but they fold down so small! What is the main difference between the 550 and the 550-X? the price gap is rather large on Amazon.

I have not had a chance to try out the Momentum but had to strike it out due to the pack size.

Thanks for all the help.

Dec 15, 2012 at 12:03 AM Post #22,235 of 29,490
MM550's might be the fit for what he would need. The cups look a tad small but they fold down so small! What is the main difference between the 550 and the 550-X? the price gap is rather large on Amazon.
I have not had a chance to try out the Momentum but had to strike it out due to the pack size.
Thanks for all the help.

The only difference is they both have a bluetooth option (they also can be used with the removable cable) but the 550x are compatible with the apt-x audio codec.
I was actually impressed with the headphones even in bluetooth mode honestly. I was expecting never to even use it but I did from time to time.

Dec 15, 2012 at 5:28 AM Post #22,239 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
You need closed headphones or in-ear monitors.  Some can block sound almost completely while still having superb sound quality.

thanks! are there any brands/models you can recommend (or tell me to stay away from) ? 

In general, in-ear monitors tend to be better at blocking sound than closed headphones.  If that is the utmost priority, I would recommend you lean towards them.  

Etymotic's (HF5/ER4) in particular are known for their top-notch isolation and crystal clear sound, but they may seem anemic and lifeless depending on what you're coming from.  Aside from that, there are tons of various in-ears with great sound quality in the $100-200 range, though they might not block sound as well.  To start, some brands include VSonic, Brainwavz, HiFiMan, Westone, Shure, and even some Sonys and JVCs.

Otherwise, if you're more interested in a closed pair of headphones, apparently the Rockit Sounds R-Shield is supposed to have great isolation.  Can't say I'm a big fan of the look though.

Hey Guys! I think to upgrade my headphone. I'm currently using ATH AD300. Any headphones with large sound stage to upgrade? i did like bass and treble (v-shaped sound). Thank you 

Maybe the Beyerdynamic DT990's?  Or for a cheaper option, the Takstar HI2050/Technical Pro HPT990 might be worth a look (haven't heard these before though).

Dec 15, 2012 at 6:27 AM Post #22,240 of 29,490
Hello all !
First of all i have to say this site is great !
I need your help with choosing my right headphones...
I have done a lot of research although im still quite new in this area and i can't decide alone.
I'm a person whose life has really been affected and inspired by music. Music helps me a lot to keep my motivation burning inside and working hard toward my goals.

I love mostly to listen to : Offer nissim (house) & Yanni (music) + Adrian von ziegler and any great piece of art of music.
* youtube this - Offer Nissim - Illusion, or Out of my skin ... ( Great beat with great sound )
I also love to listen to Eminem and good songs (black music with good music)... other songs like She Wolf and more...
In short, normal listener who appreciates good music. I want headphones that is fun to listen with it to popular music and songs, and to make me hear music the way it intended to be.

I am very confused about these pairs:
Shure 750DJ - I have read that it has very good vocals and accoustics, with heavy bass, but i don't think it will hold up more than a year with its durability... I was on the verge of buying these, they say it has superb sound that stands next to very expensive cans...
According to headfonia, The M50 takes both shure's... And i figured out that shure is still new to the headphones industry... (PLEASE HELP ! LOL )
AKG Acoustics K-240 Semi Open Studio - I have read that it is excellent (according to amazon reviews it is superb) and very cheap :-S 70$... but needs an amp (i have no problem with that but i prefer not).
AKG K167 - I am sure these are great ( i have a feeling that this is what i need, but i will rely on you guys)
Pioneer HDJ-2000 Reference Professional Dj Headphones - I am sure these are great also like the k167, but expensive ...
Technics RP-DH1200 DJ Headphones - I have seen some DJs in music videos wear it...
Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro Black - 5 stars at amazon...

I have listened to ATHM 50, I am hesitating to buy it because it is not that warm when listening to bassy House that combines Bass and quality acoustics...
" What I do feel as missing from the M-50 is it hasn’t really got enough agressiveness for Rock, and that’s my only complaint for this otherwise great headphone." Headfonia
I just need the perfect one, feel free to suggest also what you think is best for me.
I prefer 100-200$ range, less than 150$ is better ...

This is whats confusing me :-S I have to decide, and i don't know which.
Please help !
Thanks a lot !

Dec 15, 2012 at 6:35 AM Post #22,241 of 29,490
 Hey guys, first time poster here. At the moment I have only crappy headphones (which I bought because I needed a microphone), in ear phones. Before coming here I was thinking of buying Koss PortaPro and still am but not so confident about it. I found so many opinions and choices here, it's confusing. I know I can't get anything good for my budget but what can you offer me for 50~$? I was thinking maybe I should buy Koss KSC75 and if I find it better than my crapphones then start saving up some money to buy something 100$+. So, if you suggest me getting KSC75 first then are there any mods I should do to it? KSC75 seems to be a good choice because I want portable phones, I wear glasses, safe bet.
 Sennheiser HD 202 seems to be good but I want to wear my headphones for long periods of time quite often. I would get sore ears from them probably.
What are your experiences with full cans + glasses?
 I'm most likely to buy headphones from www.amazon.co.uk so I would appreciate if you check there before posting because I live in Lithuania and many phones cost more for me than it costs for americans. You can suggest me other websites (keep in mind that they must ship it to Europe).
 Are Android smartphones fine for playing music?
 I like various genres of music but there are genres I dislike. What I listen to most of the time is rock, indie, jazz, classic sometimes and other similar genres, subgenres. I'll be using my headphones for music and anime sometimes.

Dec 15, 2012 at 6:42 AM Post #22,242 of 29,490
Quote:
In general, in-ear monitors tend to be better at blocking sound than closed headphones.  If that is the utmost priority, I would recommend you lean towards them.  

Etymotic's (HF5/ER4) in particular are known for their top-notch isolation and crystal clear sound, but they may seem anemic and lifeless depending on what you're coming from.  Aside from that, there are tons of various in-ears with great sound quality in the $100-200 range, though they might not block sound as well.  To start, some brands include VSonic, Brainwavz, HiFiMan, Westone, Shure, and even some Sonys and JVCs.

Otherwise, if you're more interested in a closed pair of headphones, apparently the Rockit Sounds R-Shield is supposed to have great isolation.  Can't say I'm a big fan of the look though.

Maybe the Beyerdynamic DT990's?  Or for a cheaper option, the Takstar HI2050/Technical Pro HPT990 might be worth a look (haven't heard these before though).

Thank you. I consider DT990. But how about DT880 600ohm? ATH AD900x? or HD600/650? 

Dec 15, 2012 at 7:00 AM Post #22,243 of 29,490
Hey guys.

I was just about to purchase a pair of ATH-AD700's, but I realized that it was a bit lacky on the bass side. While I dislike dubstep, hip-hop, et al, I'm a progressive rock fan and I see bass guitar as the most important instrument in rock songs. I like bands like Yes, Genesis, Rush, The Beatles and Black Sabbath which all have bass geniuses, and I also some other bass-heavy genres like acid jazz, fusion jazz (funk/jazz) and funk.

I use CX300-II daily, and I haven't gone past that level, so I was wondering if I'd experience issues with bass by migrating to AD700.

Dec 15, 2012 at 7:06 AM Post #22,244 of 29,490
Quote:
Thank you. I consider DT990. But how about DT880 600ohm? ATH AD900x? or HD600/650? 

The DT880's are less v-shaped and may not be as "fun," though if you want detail retrieval, they're quite impressive.  Haven't heard the HD600/650 or AD900x but the Senns are supposed to be on the warmer side with not a lot of treble emphasis.  Might end up being your cup of tea though if you're able to try it out.  Keep in mind though that you'd likely need an amp as well with any of these.

Dec 15, 2012 at 7:12 AM Post #22,245 of 29,490
Quote:

The DT880's are less v-shaped and may not be as "fun," though if you want detail retrieval, they're quite impressive.  Haven't heard the HD600/650 or AD900x but the Senns are supposed to be on the warmer side with not a lot of treble emphasis.  Might end up being your cup of tea though if you're able to try it out.  Keep in mind though that you'd likely need an amp as well with any of these.

I have tried out the T1. I like the sound. I see people describe the DT880 sound quite same like T1. Isn't true? I haven't try the DT880 yet. Hope I have a chance to try it out in M'sia. By the way, which amp do you recommended for the DT series?  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back