++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Dec 14, 2012 at 6:59 PM Post #22,216 of 29,490
Quote:
So between the Custom One Pros, ATH M50, and SRH 840, which pair would go better with post rock, indie folk, and ambient music? And which would be sturdier and more portable (able to survive a daily commute stuffed in a messenger bag)?

I think the m50's are way more portable. However, you may want something with a little faster bass. Both are kind of slugish with post rock.

Dec 14, 2012 at 7:06 PM Post #22,217 of 29,490
Hello, everyone. I've been slowly compiling a nice collection of lossless material and thought it was about time to upgrade my listening equipment. So, I'm looking to get my first quality pair of headphones and I'm a little overwhelmed.

(Before I get into anything else, I suppose that I should mention that I will primarily be plugging them into my MacBook.)

My hope is to find a well-rounded, good quality pair of headphones that will work competently with any style of music. That being said, I certainly listen to rock (in all of its forms) more than any other genre.

(To give you an idea of what I listen to, here's a short list of some well-known artists in my collection: Marilyn Manson, Nine Inch Nails, Tool, The Mars Volta, Smashing Pumpkins, Puscifer, A Perfect Circle, Beck, Kidneythieves, Green Day, and Gorillaz.)

Ideally, I would like spend no more than $200 on a pair of full-size, closed-back headphones. I'm thinking about purchasing a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-M50S headphones, but I really have no idea what I'm doing. I realize that these headphones are fairly popular/controversial (in their price range) on here, but I'm not sure if they're what I'm looking for. I've read that the mids are "recessed" on these headphones. Is this a deal breaker? If so, is there another full-size, closed-back pair that you recommend? (Even if that isn't a deal breaker, you are welcome to recommend a better pair.)

Also, I was thinking about purchasing a computer DAC, would that be a wise decision? If so, is there a particular one that you recommend? 

(I realize that this isn't the place to ask about DACs, but I thought it might be a good idea to mention that I was interested in one.)

That's about all the questions I have. If you need more information, let me know.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post.

Dec 14, 2012 at 7:18 PM Post #22,218 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello, everyone. I've been slowly compiling a nice collection of lossless material and thought it was about time to upgrade my listening equipment. So, I'm looking to get my first quality pair of headphones and I'm a little overwhelmed.

(Before I get into anything else, I suppose that I should mention that I will primarily be plugging them into my MacBook.)

My hope is to find a well-rounded, good quality pair of headphones that will work competently with any style of music. That being said, I certainly listen to rock (in all of its forms) more than any other genre.

(To give you an idea of what I listen to, here's a short list of some well-known artists in my collection: Marilyn Manson, Nine Inch Nails, Tool, The Mars Volta, Smashing Pumpkins, Puscifer, A Perfect Circle, Beck, Kidneythieves, Green Day, and Gorillaz.)

Ideally, I would like spend no more than $200 on a pair of full size, closed-back headphones. I'm thinking about purchasing a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-M50S headphones, but I really have no idea what I'm doing. I realize that these headphones are fairly popular/controversial (in their price range) on here, but I'm not sure if they're what I'm looking for. I've read that the mids are "recessed" on these headphones. Is this a deal breaker? If so, is there another full size, closed-back pair that you recommend? (Even if that isn't a deal breaker, you are welcome to recommend a better pair.)

Also, I was thinking about purchasing a computer DAC, would that be a wise decision? If so, is there a particular one that you recommend? 

(I realize that this isn't the place to ask about DACs, but I thought it might be a good idea to mention that I was interested in one.)

That's about all the questions I have. If you need more information, let me know.

I listen to the same type of music, and I personally think the m50's are a bit over hyped. I tried several headphones at my local guitar center through my iphone and fiio e6. The m50's, shure srh 840, sennheiser hd380, and the beyerdynamic dt770's. It came down to the dt770's and the sennheiers. I chose the dt770's and havn't looked back. Many people say that the mids on the dt770's are recessed. I disagree, there is an idea going around headfi that if a headphone doesn't have foward mids then they are recessed. The dt770's mids are neutral, not foward or recessed, just neutral. Anyways, my vote goes for the beyer dynamic dt770 in the 200 dollar catagory for a closed headphone for rock music. Also, about an amp, I would go with the fiio e7 or e11 depending on what you want. Remember this is my opinion though and yours and many other may differ. Anyways, good luck and happy listening on whatever headphone you choose!

Dec 14, 2012 at 8:06 PM Post #22,220 of 29,490
Quote:
can you hear the difference of a cheap and good quality DAC with low quality headphones?

That depends on the differences between the DAC's and the quality of the low-quality headphones.  

If you have an amp and use a PC as your source, here's a $25-$30 test. Buy an inexpensive DAC by Behringer (UCA-202 or UCA-222) and attach it between a USB 2.0 port and your amp. See you hear a difference.

I don't really recommend this test with the amp built into the '202 or '222. Unless your headphones have a high impedance (always over 400 Ohms), the sound might easily get worse.

Dec 14, 2012 at 8:40 PM Post #22,221 of 29,490
Hi Head-fi,

after alot of internet searching I stumbled across this amazing thread and thought to give it a try.

I'm Looking for a pair of new headphones:

Prize: 200-300 (euro)
I will be using them for music only and mostly on the go (trains-buses-underground) which mean I need ones that close back. I will be using them daily so proper building quality is a must.

My music taste varies from Indie to Jazz and Rock to Dubstep, so I guess I really need a good allrounder.

I will be listening to music using my Samsung S3 or my Macbook.

Is there any pro that can give me advice on my best possible purchase?

Regards and thanks,

Jeroen

Dec 14, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #22,222 of 29,490
Quote:
I listen to the same type of music, and I personally think the m50's are a bit over hyped. I tried several headphones at my local guitar center through my iphone and fiio e6. The m50's, shure srh 840, sennheiser hd380, and the beyerdynamic dt770's. It came down to the dt770's and the sennheiers. I chose the dt770's and havn't looked back. Many people say that the mids on the dt770's are recessed. I disagree, there is an idea going around headfi that if a headphone doesn't have foward mids then they are recessed. The dt770's mids are neutral, not foward or recessed, just neutral. Anyways, my vote goes for the beyer dynamic dt770 in the 200 dollar catagory for a closed headphone for rock music. Also, about an amp, I would go with the fiio e7 or e11 depending on what you want. Remember this is my opinion though and yours and many other may differ. Anyways, good luck and happy listening on whatever headphone you choose!

Thanks for the response. I'll take a look into the DT 770's.

(If anyone else has anything to add/suggest, feel free to do so.)

Dec 14, 2012 at 9:22 PM Post #22,223 of 29,490
Quote:
I think the m50's are way more portable. However, you may want something with a little faster bass. Both are kind of slugish with post rock.

Thanks for the help! Just out of curiosity, why would I want something with a faster bass (and what would that be?) I am not listening to much dubstep type music (ambient and post rock don't have the thump) -- unless "bass" refers to something different in audiophile language? Sorry for the questions, I'm new to all this!

Dec 14, 2012 at 10:23 PM Post #22,224 of 29,490
Quote:

Ideally, I would like spend no more than $200 on a pair of full-size, closed-back headphones. I'm thinking about purchasing a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-M50S headphones, but I really have no idea what I'm doing. I realize that these headphones are fairly popular/controversial (in their price range) on here, but I'm not sure if they're what I'm looking for. I've read that the mids are "recessed" on these headphones. Is this a deal breaker? If so, is there another full-size, closed-back pair that you recommend? (Even if that isn't a deal breaker, you are welcome to recommend a better pair.)

Used Shure SRH940.  They are by far the best closed headphone under $500 imo.   With regards to the dac, put as much money as possible towards the headphone as they have dramatic differences in sound quality.  But you will strain to hear the difference between a 100$ dac and a $1000 dac.

Dec 14, 2012 at 10:30 PM Post #22,225 of 29,490
Quote:
for the first time, i have decided to invest into some good headphones. the main thing that i want/need is a noise canceling feature; however, i would like the headphones to do the noise canceling regardless of whether i am also playing music at the same time. it is not quite clear to me how this would work - i know that obviously passive noise canceling would work, but does that mean that any active noise canceling headphones do negligible canceling when not connected to a source? 

right now i'm looking at two models: sony MDR-NC200D and sennheiser HD 558. 

it seems to me that the sennheiser pair would work even if not connected to music, because they're circumaural so i'd expect some blockage there. however, the sony model seems more geared towards noise canceling. 

they're both about the same price, but i don't want to make a mistake and get a pair that is *not* able to block noise while i'm not playing music/while they're not connected to anything. that's my main priority - but of course, general sound quality can't be ignored...

although - someone in another thread just told me the HD558 won't be any good (for what i need) because they're open. so, i guess my question turns to, are the MDR-NC200D something i want, considering what i wrote above, or does anyone have other models to rec for that purpose/in that price range? thanks!

You need closed headphones or in-ear monitors.  Some can block sound almost completely while still having superb sound quality.

Dec 14, 2012 at 10:44 PM Post #22,226 of 29,490
Hello everyone! My family have been a bunch of audiophiles for as long as I remember but I've never paid much attention to it until lately when I've noticed that I'm not enjoying the music as much as I used to and started looking around.

Anyway, I'm trying to buy my father a set of cans that are ultra comfortable and portable with room to sacrifice in the audio department. He still travels from time to time and will pretty much use it in transit (flights, cars, etc) only. As he is in his 60's I would like to get him something that's more of a classical beauty than something gaudy.

Because he will be using these primarily in flights and whatnot if it had some noise cancelling features it would obviously be a plus. He listens primarily to classical, jazz, and some oldie pops. Oh and they're probably going to be used for in-flight movies as well...)

I first started with some DT 1350's but figured that because the pads won't go over his entire ear he would not enjoy them after a while. Moving onto bigger cups I came across more of the NC's in the Bose QC15's, the new UE 6000's (maybe the style is too young) and Sony MDR-1NC's (kind of pushing the limit at $500).

I would like to keep it in the $200-350 range but if anyone can recommend something that is really going to kick ass then I'd be willing to spend more.

I forgot mention that knowing him even if I got him a portable amp he would not carry it with him so these need to be driven from either his phone, a Verizon Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy 10.1, or sockets on the plane...yeah...

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

Dec 14, 2012 at 10:50 PM Post #22,228 of 29,490
Quote:
Used Shure SRH940.  They are by far the best closed headphone under $500 imo.   With regards to the dac, put as much money as possible towards the headphone as they have dramatic differences in sound quality.  But you will strain to hear the difference between a 100$ dac and a $1000 dac.

Thanks for the response. Your thread made a pretty compelling case for the SRH940.

As for the DAC, if that's the case, could you recommend a DAC/Amp under $150?

(Forgive my ignorance, but I'm not sure if I truly understand DACs/Amps. Do I need purchase a DAC and a amp, or do/can they come together? Do I even need an amp for these particular headphones?)

Dec 14, 2012 at 10:51 PM Post #22,229 of 29,490
Hello everyone! My family have been a bunch of audiophiles for as long as I remember but I've never paid much attention to it until lately when I've noticed that I'm not enjoying the music as much as I used to and started looking around.
Anyway, I'm trying to buy my father a set of cans that are ultra comfortable and portable with room to sacrifice in the audio department. He still travels from time to time and will pretty much use it in transit (flights, cars, etc) only. As he is in his 60's I would like to get him something that's more of a classical beauty than something gaudy.
Because he will be using these primarily in flights and whatnot if it had some noise cancelling features it would obviously be a plus. He listens primarily to classical, jazz, and some oldie pops. Oh and they're probably going to be used for in-flight movies as well...)
I first started with some DT 1350's but figured that because the pads won't go over his entire ear he would not enjoy them after a while. Moving onto bigger cups I came across more of the NC's in the Bose QC15's, the new UE 6000's (maybe the style is too young) and Sony MDR-1NC's (kind of pushing the limit at $500).
I would like to keep it in the $200-350 range but if anyone can recommend something that is really going to kick ass then I'd be willing to spend more.
I forgot mention that knowing him even if I got him a portable amp he would not carry it with him so these need to be driven from either his phone, a Verizon Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy 10.1, or sockets on the plane...yeah...
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

The Sennheiser MM450 ANC headphone is on goldbox sale right this second on amazon for $200. I had the MM550 and enjoyed it. Much, much better SQ than bose although the bose ANC is beats everyone else I have tried.

Dec 14, 2012 at 11:01 PM Post #22,230 of 29,490
i would recommend the bowers P5....
its classy enough for older folks to be seen in it,
sounds great off samsung fones...soundstage is deep.
though it is on ear, its very comfy..
the isolation quite good cos the memoryfoam makes a great seal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back