++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Dec 7, 2012 at 1:11 PM Post #21,901 of 29,490
Quote:
HI, this is my first post here on the forum and wanted you guys to help me choose some headphones.

my limit is 100 €. I've been watching these

Sennhesier hd 518
akg K 142 HD

I wanted circum-aural headphones for more comfort.
I have no particular musical tastes, but I would say that I do not listen to metal and hard rock styles and identical ... I like rock, jazz, classical, r & b, pop, etc.

Will be connected to an ipod classic and a laptop computer, can rarely be connected to my amp denon dra 345r.

I wanted some headphones that not needed for portable amp.

Between open and closed I did not want to discard any of the hypotheses. I do not quite know what to choose, they are my first headphones in this range.

That is, what do I recommend?

The HD 518 is a very good can in its price class.  However, it leaks and has a long (detachable) cord, so it will not be optimal for portable and/or in public use.

Dec 7, 2012 at 1:13 PM Post #21,902 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
Philips M1 or even L1 (i got them on amazon.es for 190€, but they can ship in england i think, they did ship in France)

I think that I want somewhat bigger cans, though they look good I somewhat don't feel that they are what I am looking for in terms of sound.
Lush
 - Very Rich/Full.

Detailed - Easy to hear tiny details in the music; articulate. Adequate high frequency response, sharp transient response.

Presence - A sense that the instrument in present in the listening room. Synonyms are edge, punch, detail, closeness and clarity. Adequate or emphasized response around 5 kHz for most instruments, or around 2 to 5 kHz for kick drum and bass.

Lush (2)
 - A "lush" sound has a sense of warmth and fullness. Notes are more authoritative and have a sense of life about them. It is a sound free of any sibilance or brightness. It does not mean colored, however. It is an open and inviting sound enveloping the listener into its soundstage. (source: unkown headfier)

Open
 - Sound which has height and "air", relates to clean upper midrange and treble.

Airy
 - Spacious. Open. Instruments sound like they are surrounded by a large reflective space full of air. Good reproduction of high frequency reflections. High frequency response extends to 15 or 20 kHz.

Overall crytall sound but still having somewhat medium amount of bass. I don't know if I should use an equliser to say what I want exactly. I am also going to listen most of the time on a smartphone probably (Galaxy S3).

Usually "Lush" and "Detailed" are not generally found together in the same can.

Dec 7, 2012 at 1:19 PM Post #21,903 of 29,490
I love my Shure SRH840's. I'd recommend them for pretty much all types of music as at least 'decent' (obviously there are others on the market that perform better on some genres, but they're good all rounders). However they are fairly clunky, with a 3metre coiled cable, so not the most portable pair of cans in the world, but I still bring them to school with me every day.

Dec 7, 2012 at 1:23 PM Post #21,904 of 29,490
YO YO YO YO
I need a Pair of big cans with big soundstage to be feed with a FiiO e17.
Electronic music such as: Trance, Vocal trance, chillout, downtempo, space downtempo, classical or even some minimal house, lounge, jazz, and a lot of vocals

Low budget.. Sub 100USD

COME IN, COME IN

Dec 7, 2012 at 1:28 PM Post #21,905 of 29,490
YO YO YO YO
I need a Pair of big cans with big soundstage to be feed with a FiiO e17.
Electronic music such as: Trance, Vocal trance, chillout, downtempo, space downtempo, classical or even some minimal house, lounge, jazz, and a lot of vocals

Low budget.. Sub 100USD

COME IN, COME IN

My friend has a pair of Grado SR80i's and they stuff like trance sound amazing. Might be slightly outside your budget, but they're cheaper in the US than the UK, so I'm not too sure.

Dec 7, 2012 at 1:32 PM Post #21,906 of 29,490
Quote:
My friend has a pair of Grado SR80i's and they stuff like trance sound amazing. Might be slightly outside your budget, but they're cheaper in the US than the UK, so I'm not too sure.

Thanks for the reply.
Out of budget :frowning2: 156EUR

Dec 7, 2012 at 3:23 PM Post #21,908 of 29,490
Hey everyone,

This is quite a long post, so please bear with me. 

A few days ago, the microphone of my headset stopped working, so I started looking for a new headset. I saw loads of people on the internet recommend buying a set of headphones and a seperate microphone instead of a headset, because of the superior quality of the headphones. Now, I really like the idea of having better quality headphones, but there are just so many options, I really don't know what to buy!

The purpose of the headphones is simple: Voice chat. I use skype a lot and using speakers with a microphone isn't pleasant for the people I'm skyping with. I'm currently using the Sennheiser 201 headphones in combination with a webcam microphone, but as you can probably figure out, this isn't a great setup. I will also be listening to some music (Classical, indie, rock, pop and trance/dance). Because my desktop is in a seperate room, I don't have a lot of background noise, so open headphones sound like a great idea to me, but if there are great closed headphones in my budget range, then those are good too.

I've been looking at the following headphones with my €80 (~$105) budget (the budget can always be stretched a bit): 

Sennheiser HD 449 (I listened to these, and I didn't really like the sound of this pair)
- Sennheiser HD 518 (I listened to these and they were really great! I like the style of the 558's more, though)
Sennheiser HD 558 (Obviously these are over my budget, but I'm willing to pay a higher price if it justifies the higher quality. Also 3.5 mm jack via an adapter, which isn't very practical, in my opinion)
Shure SRH440

The problem with headphones is that I'm not sure whether I need an amplifier, a soundcard or a combined amplifier, or something. I am currently using a desktop with an onboard soundcard (Realtek ALC892), so I figured I might need an amplifier, or buy one later on. The second problem is that I need a desktop microphone/clip-on microphone and I don't really like the thought of having one of those on my desk/on my headphones. 

Currently I'm tempted to just buy a headset like the Sennheiser PC 320, because it's easier to have the microphone and volume control on the headset than using the windows controls to lower the volume. And I don't have to worry about additional soundcards or amplifiers, but I'm certain that the sound quality of the 320's will be inferior to similar priced headphones. I wonder if the headphones and seperate microphone are worth the extra hassle.

So, I'm asking the experts! Do you guys have any suggestions on which option to choose in my situation? Headphones and microphone or a headset? And which headphones/headset?

Dec 7, 2012 at 3:41 PM Post #21,909 of 29,490
The HD 518 is a very good can in its price class.  However, it leaks and has a long (detachable) cord, so it will not be optimal for portable and/or in public use.

it is only for use at home. What do you have to say about the akg? the hd518 are much better than the akg?

Another thing I wanted to ask, the brand sennheiser is very familiar, akg is not much. ie at least in my country few people have akg (even little) like to know why? performance / price akg is bad?

Dec 7, 2012 at 3:58 PM Post #21,910 of 29,490
Looking for closed headphones for hard rock/metal. A few example of bands i listen to: Megadeth, Iron Maiden, Metallica, Judas Priest... I have a budget of 130 euro max, buying from amazon.de or ebay, unless someone knows any better European store. I want good sound stage. Pretty much everything is important because metal songs are complex. My setup is FLAC>Asus Xonar DG, i'll add a Fiio E7 soon.

Currently considering:
-AKG K240 MKII
-Beyerdynamic DT770/DT990
-Sony MDR-V6

Other recommendations are welcome.

Dec 7, 2012 at 6:00 PM Post #21,912 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:

it is only for use at home. What do you have to say about the akg? the hd518 are much better than the akg?

Another thing I wanted to ask, the brand sennheiser is very familiar, akg is not much. ie at least in my country few people have akg (even little) like to know why? performance / price akg is bad?

Haven't heard the AKG model you referenced.  I can tell you that the HD 518 is better than the good AKG K 240.  AKG has been around for a long time and is well known in studios.  Harmon bought them out some time ago and moved production of most of its cans to China.

Dec 7, 2012 at 6:13 PM Post #21,913 of 29,490
Hey, I'm looking for closed headphones (circumaural) for my commute/classes.
They don't need to have the absolute best isolation, a bit of leakage is acceptable.

Thus far I'm digging the AKG K550 and Phillips Uptown. V-Moda M-100 exceed by budget (300€ max, but anything close to 200€ is preferable) and most people say they are too bass heavy, so I'm worried about that.

I currently own HD555's at home and some cheap panasonic IEMs. So if you could compare these and other headphones to Sennheiser's 5XX line I would appreciate it.

If the headphones don't have any portability features (like K550's swiveling cups), then they must have a sturdy build (like Uptown's). Of course a hard case like V-moda's headphones would be the best option

I listen to a lot of different genres, but when I'm in the concept/building process of a drawing I lean towards eletronic/dubstep, then I go for something more mellow. So bass Is good (anything above HD555's would sound great for me) but I don't want it to overwhelm anything else, especially vocals.

Here's an assortment of music I listen to

Shibayan Records -  オズネイ・ハマンはもういらない
---
Midnight Juggernauts - Lifeblood Flow
Planet Funk -Paraffin
---
Mezo - Connected (Joman Remix)
Xilent - Gravity
Danny Byrd - From Bath with love (Feat. T-Lace)
---
NieR Tribute Album - echo - エミール / 犠牲
Playground love - Air
The Delgados - The Light Before we Land

In case this bit of info helps, I'm getting a FiiO E11 too.

Thanks in advance :)

Dec 7, 2012 at 6:19 PM Post #21,914 of 29,490
Highlaw, look into the Ultrasone HFI-780 or Pro 750, both balanced and with impactful bass that doesn't bleed into the rest of the frequency range.

Dec 7, 2012 at 8:13 PM Post #21,915 of 29,490
Quote:
Looking for closed headphones for hard rock/metal. A few example of bands i listen to: Megadeth, Iron Maiden, Metallica, Judas Priest... I have a budget of 130 euro max, buying from amazon.de or ebay, unless someone knows any better European store. I want good sound stage. Pretty much everything is important because metal songs are complex. My setup is FLAC>Asus Xonar DG, i'll add a Fiio E7 soon.

Currently considering:
-AKG K240 MKII
-Beyerdynamic DT770/DT880
-Sony MDR-V6

Other recommendations are welcome.

The AKG K240mk2 are not closed, but semi-open headphones. Where can you get DT880 for 130€?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back