++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Dec 8, 2012 at 3:57 AM Post #21,931 of 29,490
Looking for headphones for hard rock/metal. A few example of bands i listen to: Megadeth, Iron Maiden, Metallica, Judas Priest... I have a budget of 150 euro max, buying from amazon.de or ebay, unless someone knows any better European store. I want good sound stage. Pretty much everything is important because metal songs are complex. My setup is FLAC>Asus Xonar DG, i'll add a Fiio E7 soon.

Currently considering:
-AKG K240 MKII
-Beyerdynamic DT770/DT990
-Sony MDR-V6
-Fostex T50RP

Other recommendations are welcome.

Dec 8, 2012 at 5:33 AM Post #21,932 of 29,490
Quote:

They have excellent build quality, among the best. Don't be fooled by the presence of plastic, as it is very high quality industrial plastic used on their construction. Cracking or any physical damage of the sort is something you need not worry about. Stomping them and driving over them might be an issue, though :)

In the event you want to adjust clamping, you can stretch or compress the headband without worrying about damaging the headphones since there is a metal strip that goes through the headband.

Ultrasones in general handle EDM and any bass emphasized genres very well, along with having quite a lot of clarity, with the models I suggested being more balanced and at the same time engaging.

I see. Do they isolate well? (compared to K550's) or are they closer to denon's 2k/5K/7K?

Also I found the K550 at 150€ whereas the cheapest PRO750's are at 240€. Is the price difference worth it? (sound quality being the only issue)

Quote:
The HD 555 are cans with cracking issues.  Seems to have affected the entire HD 5x5 series.  The newer HD 5x8 series are far better in this regard.

yeah.. they also chip quite easily

Still, the sound holds up and they don't fall from my head yet, so no harm done :)

Dec 8, 2012 at 9:01 AM Post #21,933 of 29,490
Hey everyone, Just wanted to say a big thank you for the advice people gave me. My HD598's just arrived, the bass for me is perfect, the sound clarity is amazing. I am delighted with my purchase. I cannot believe how clear every single different noise or instrument is. It is how music should be heard and appreciated. Thank you again for all your help, I really appreciate it!

Dec 8, 2012 at 9:34 AM Post #21,934 of 29,490
Hello, first time posting here. I'm currently looking for a pair of closed headphones for my sister that are portable enough for college use and are able to isolate pretty well. The kind of music that she listens to include hip hop, electronic, techno and sometimes piano. The budget would be set at $100 and I'm willing to go a little over $100 but anything within the range would be preferable. She would probably use it with an iPod Classic.

Here are some current headphones that I'm considering, but I'm open to other suggestions:

- Shure SRH440
- Philips Uptown

Much thanks

Dec 8, 2012 at 10:35 AM Post #21,935 of 29,490
Hi all, i'm currently looking for some headphones arround 80, max 100. I listen to all kinds of genres from drum and bass to rap, rock,...
I like bass, punchy but clarity is also very important.
Any recommandations? No in ear ones, I prefer arround the ear ones without an open back.

Dec 8, 2012 at 10:46 AM Post #21,936 of 29,490
Hello everyone, Greetings from Singapore! so recently my dad passed me his old set of Sonic Frontiers Ultrajitterbug and TransDAC. I have a Fiio e9 lying around so i decided to hook em up to my pc so it goes PC>Jitterbug>TransDac>Fiio e9. Im currently using a Sennheiser PC360 and was thinking if it would be advisable to get a HD650 or HD600 to couple with my current set up. I listen to many genres but more towards post rock and alternatives. Examples of some bands i listen to : Sigur Ros, Efterklang, Radiohead...

So my question would be:
1)Would a HD650/HD600 go well with my set up??
2)Am i doing it right with my set up??

Sorry for the terrible questions i'm really new to this, a thousand apologies :)

Dec 8, 2012 at 11:09 AM Post #21,937 of 29,490
Hello, im actually asking for some advice for my girlfriend who unfortunately has hyperacusis (over sensitivity to high frequency) and tinnitus . My grados are too fatiguing and harsh for her and the treble is too bright for her to listen to even on very low volumes. 
Are there any good quality headphones out there that are known to have treble more suited to her needs? (any advice is appreciated). Looking for something in the $100-200 price range but the cheaper the better.

EDIT: seems like HD650 is the best option but i just can not afford to spend that much...and i hear they need to be amped.

Dec 8, 2012 at 11:37 AM Post #21,938 of 29,490
I'm new to high-end headphones, and I need some help on which headphones to get :)
My birthday is in a few days, and i have been wanting to get some headphones for awhile now.
My budget is $100. (Or $110 on Amazon because i have a $10 giftcard.)

I have tried ATH M50's and DT 770 Pro's (My bothers have them) and I liked both sound wise. The M50's hurt my ears after a bit, and the 770's were super comfortable.

I will be using my laptop primarily (Asus G73JH) and sometimes my iPhone 4.
I would rather have closed, but open/semi-open are fine.
I listen to most types of music, except for country and dubstep.
I don't really have a sound preference, although i would like some bass, but not overwhelming.

I've been looking at the following, but i can't choose:

I just don't know what to get. Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Dec 8, 2012 at 11:47 AM Post #21,939 of 29,490
Quote:

I'm new to high-end headphones, and I need some help on which headphones to get 
smily_headphones1.gif

My birthday is in a few days, and i have been wanting to get some headphones for awhile now.
My budget is $100. (Or $110 on Amazon because i have a $10 giftcard.)
I have tried ATH M50's and DT 770 Pro's (My bothers have them) and I liked both sound wise. The M50's hurt my ears after a bit, and the 770's were super comfortable.
I will be using my laptop primarily (Asus G73JH) and sometimes my iPhone 4.
I would rather have closed, but open/semi-open are fine.
I listen to most types of music, except for country and dubstep.
I don't really have a sound preference, although i would like some bass, but not overwhelming.
I've been looking at the following, but i can't choose:
  1. Phillips Citiscape Uptown ($83, possibly with a Fiio E6 for $107. Plus i like how they look.)
  2. Superlux HD668B ($49 on Amazon, possibly cheaper somewhere else. Probably would get a portable amp with these as well.)
  3. Brainwavz HM5 ($95 shipped)
  4. Grado SR80i ($95)
  5. ATH-AD700 ($87 Damaged Packaging, $100 new)
  6. Gemini HSR-1000 ($87)
I just don't know what to get. Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

I'd scratch the Grado and AD700 from your list.  Creative Aurvana Live is a good option to look at as well:

http://www.amazon.com/Creative-EF0060-Aurvana-Live-Headphones/dp/B000ZJZ7OA

Dec 8, 2012 at 12:18 PM Post #21,942 of 29,490
Quote:
I have a question for people that know audio,

So my sound card allows me to choose different audio quality options up to "2 channel, 24 bit, 192000 Hz21/1212q"

What is the question?
what sound card is it?

Dec 8, 2012 at 12:19 PM Post #21,943 of 29,490
Quote:
I have a question for people that know audio,

So my sound card allows me to choose different audio quality options up to "2 channel, 24 bit, 192000 Hz21/1212q"

I think this would be the wrong thread to post in, you might get more answers in the computer audio section

Dec 8, 2012 at 12:38 PM Post #21,944 of 29,490
Quote:
What is the question?
what sound card is it?

Oh sorry it wasn't supposed to be posted yet, my sound card is from an imac mid 2011 and it is called "Cirrus Logic CS4206A (AB32)".

The question is:  If i change my audio quality to the best settings, will my computer be slower?

And also it says "Select the sample rate and bit depth to be used when running in shared mode" What is "Shared mode"? Thanks

Dec 8, 2012 at 1:47 PM Post #21,945 of 29,490
Quote:
Oh sorry it wasn't supposed to be posted yet, my sound card is from an iMac mid 2011 and it is called "Cirrus Logic CS4206A (AB32)".

The question is:  If i change my audio quality to the best settings, will my computer be slower?

And also it says "Select the sample rate and bit depth to be used when running in shared mode" What is "Shared mode"? Thanks

I doubt audio processing would take up more then 10% of a modern quad core CPU's processing power.

Sample rate settings.
Music - 24-bit/44.1khz or 24-bit/48khz.
Movies - 24-bit/96khz.

Have no idea what "Shared Mode" is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back