++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Nov 20, 2012 at 4:14 AM Post #21,331 of 29,490
Quote:
This might be a big ask, but if anyone could give out a short list of some reasonably priced. balanced-sounding headphones that would be awesome! By balanced I mean bass that isn't boomy, mids that aren't recessed and treble that isn't harsh. So basically the opposit of the HFI-580 (which I own).

So far all I can think of is the Brainwavz HM5 and the ATH A900X

Check the buying guides linked in the opening post of this thread.

Nov 20, 2012 at 4:24 AM Post #21,333 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello all! Can anyone help me to choose my next phones?

Equipment:
  1. Asus Xonar Essence STX: Bought it after I completed my PC built, and I have to say I searched for them for a long time. Just to get the chance to drive upper grade phones for relatively less money.
  1. Grado SR60: Got it from USA around 6 years ago, my first "real" headphones. Really like the phones to this day but can't listen to them for a long period. The sound seems just too fatiguing and bright for long period listening, still like the airness of open design and energy of these fellas tho.
  2. Sennheiser MX 680: Bought them just for sports in mind, but kind of liked the sound (Meh). Since I don't have any better IEMs atm, I use them on a daily basis outside plus while doing sports. 
  3. Audio Technica ATH-2: Got this one for mere interest in ortho phones, and didn't have any expectations since I got them for nearly nothing. Well, I can say it didn't surprise me with SQ in overall but has a kind of good detail in sound.
  1. Sennheiser PXC 450: Couple of months ago I found a used and in good condition pair for around 50 USD. They were not the phones exactly in my mind but couldn't miss them for the price. Anyway, after I got them I realized that they are just sweet sweet phones. Haven't heard anything like them before, sounds detailed and smooth to my ears, but a little too smooth maybe. I kind of miss the openness and airy feel of music when I listen music on them.

Music Preference:
  1. Rock based; Pink Floyd, The Beatles, Muse, Tool, A Perfect Circle, Porcupine Tree, Radiohead, City and Colour, Dream Theater,  etc.
  2. Blues; John Lee Hooker, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrix, Yavuz Çetin etc.
  3. Other; jazz, soul, classic and little bit electronic music if I have mood (French House?)

What I Want:
  1. Hear something what my PXC 450 cannot offer to my ears. Basically all I want to have is to feel the improvement.
  2. Want to hear the detail and feel the sense of space in music, especially when I'm listening to live records. But that doesn't mean I like analytical and cold sound so much. I like balanced and warm sound more.
  1. I'm not a basshead, but I want to feel presence of it when the time comes.
  2. Open headphones, I will be using them in quite and alone environment mostly anyway.

How Much Can I Offer:
  1. Around 300-350 USD. (I can get something used for this price too of course)

Thanks in advance, for your help!

Cheers!

I'd go with a DT 880 (+/- Pro) or a used HD 650.

Nov 20, 2012 at 4:27 AM Post #21,334 of 29,490
Quote:
So I am almost definately purchasing Schiit Asgard and Bifrost in the spring. And I am not sure what headphones to get. Currently looking at the LCD2. I mostly listen to heavy metal. EG iced earth, metallica, avenged sevenfold, and prog rock like pink floyd.

As of now my source is a Cowon D3 with Grado 325is and from my pc, Asus STX with A900. I love both setups. Any ya or nay to the lcd2s? What other headphones?

The Asgard is a bare minimum amp for LCD2 (I'm assuming it will adequately push it, as it does OK with the HE-500).  I'll bet that you will want upgrade your Asgard before very long.

Nov 20, 2012 at 4:57 AM Post #21,335 of 29,490
Quote:
For a headphone that will work well with the Essence STX and has good sound, the Beyerdynamic DT880s

Thanks a lot for fast response. 

After reading a lot of reviews about these, I think they suit my needs. (http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-50-headphones-compared#user_DT880)

The only question is; will there be a difference in sound quailty between 250 Ohm and  600 Ohm versions with my Essence STX.

I'm asking this because, I'm thinking about using STX for some more time and I know 600 Ohm version's potentional will come up with more decent amping. So If the difference will be none or minimal between 250 and 600, I'm thinking about buying 600 Ohm version and after some time, my second step will be buying a new amp.

This way I can go step by step upgrading my gear in my opinion.

Since you have all these equipment at hand, can you shed some light on this issue on my mind? Because I can find 660 Ohm on second hand for better price here.

Thanks for help anyway. Cheers!

Nov 20, 2012 at 6:28 AM Post #21,336 of 29,490
 greetings!

hello,

i will go straight to the point because i am shy :}| 

1. i have a philips mp3 player and my philips she 3790 headphone got break over 9 months.
  2. i might buy an ipod or cowon (whatever you will suggest for just music and nothing else)

1. but i want a headphone around 2000 rupees (never actually ever even spent that much before cus my sony ex57lp was not any better than my philips she 3790 which was like half the price) for now to use with my philips mp3 player. i will also use it with my laptop.

1. i listen only to christian rock or just rock music like daughtry and shinedown and casting crowns (so i guess i don't want punchy headphones bass? idk maybe even i want; you tell me please)

1. I ACTUALLY HAVE A FEW BRANDS AND MODELS IN MY MIND , JUST PLEASE HELP ME SHORT LISTING THEM BUT THE PROBLEM IS THAT THERE ARE MANY BRANDS WITH MANY MANY MODELS FOR NO REASON D:

the brands are as follows: (something different than philips or panasonic now)

1. LOGITEK - http://www.logitech.com/en-in/ue/ue-earphones/UE200  "THIS SPECIFIC MODEL ONLY" (they say it has a crisp bright sound, perfect for my christian music? no? )
  2. SONY : http://www.sony.co.in/product/mdrex220lp   OR   http://www.sony.co.in/product/mdr-xb30ex
  3. MEElectronics : really confused now, https://www.meelec.com/Articles.asp?ID=269  just choose one for me? a standard most famous budget classic headphone? hey what's about that m31 bass headphone should i get it? :D you tell me...
  4. soundmagic : this site got me for an hour and i still am confused about as which models are popular!!!! http://www.soundmagic.com.cn/en/products/Default.html help me y arrenging their best popular common headphone which one is that is it e10? what about that new e30? but they say its expensive? you tell me :)

notes! :

my budget : maxium 2000 rupees

my type of song : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3O0BfTOkGK8

also , suggest me an audio player for me to buy later

the most important part :

please arrange your top 10 standard, popular, famous, great, long timer headphones from what i have displayed above include them in the list if possible :) thanks a lot

and suggest me a brand between soundmagic and meelectronics

thankyou

Nov 20, 2012 at 6:35 AM Post #21,337 of 29,490
Hi all,

I'm hoping you can help steer me in the right direction for a new set of headphones for Christmas. My current (horribly broken and duct-taped) phones are the Panasonic RP-HC500s. I have had them since 2008 and they have served me well, but I hunger for the next step up.

I would prefer:

1. Over-ear
  2. $150 max
  3. Minimal bleeding

The type of music I listen to is mostly pop, ie. Taylor Swift, Katy Perry, Lady Gaga. I am also a collector of musicals, so showtunes as well. 99% of my library is lossless. 97% of my listening time is spent using my computer. I am not sure what the general consensus here is about noise-canceling headphones, but all I know is that I do not want to sacrifice sound quality for noise reduction. I have looked at the ATH-M50s but I am unsure about other options out there.

Thanks so much. I hope I have given enough info.

Nov 20, 2012 at 7:10 AM Post #21,338 of 29,490
[size=10pt]i can get the beats for free.. or the srh440 or the akg q460 (one of them for free)[/size]
[size=10pt]which one should i go for??? (i listen too all kind of music)[/size]
[size=10pt](only by sound quality, no other criteria)[/size]

Nov 20, 2012 at 11:40 AM Post #21,339 of 29,490
[SIZE=10pt]i can get the beats for free.. or the srh440 or the akg q460 (one of them for free)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]which one should i go for??? (i listen too all kind of music)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt](only by sound quality, no other criteria)[/SIZE]

No no, not beats. I have a $50 earpiece (in my country, first hand, SonicGear Earpump Pro) that is comparable to beats solo, that cost $200 (in my country, first hand). Sounds almost the same imo.

I would recommend Shure SRH 440. Sounds kinda neutral, but it is able to get u involved in yr music. The bass is strong but not bloated. Vocals sounds great, and full, feel real. Electronic music wont suffer here too

Cant speak for AKG as i did not hear them

Nov 20, 2012 at 11:42 AM Post #21,340 of 29,490
Hi all,

I'm hoping you can help steer me in the right direction for a new set of headphones for Christmas. My current (horribly broken and duct-taped) phones are the Panasonic RP-HC500s. I have had them since 2008 and they have served me well, but I hunger for the next step up.

I would prefer:

• Over-ear
  • $150 max
  • Minimal bleeding

The type of music I listen to is mostly pop, ie. Taylor Swift, Katy Perry, Lady Gaga. I am also a collector of musicals, so showtunes as well. 99% of my library is lossless. 97% of my listening time is spent using my computer. I am not sure what the general consensus here is about noise-canceling headphones, but all I know is that I do not want to sacrifice sound quality for noise reduction. I have looked at the ATH-M50s but I am unsure about other options out there.

Try the Shure SRH 440. Didn't liked the M50 as the soundstage feels too small for me. SRH 440 is good across all genres.

Nov 20, 2012 at 1:01 PM Post #21,341 of 29,490
Hi all,

I would prefer:

• Over-ear
  • $150 max
  • Minimal bleeding

The m50 is not a bad headphone if you can get it still for 100 bucks on soundprofessionals.com

A worthwhile upgrade are the $150 krk8400. Much more natural sounding and more comfy.

A more bassy headphone that still does a very nice job on reproducing female vocals is the UE6000 for a few bucks more.

No you don't want noise canceling. There isn't a headphone in your price range that sounds decent with active noise canceling and even then for a 4 or 500 price tag..... Id pick a lot of other headphones for home use.

Nov 20, 2012 at 1:31 PM Post #21,342 of 29,490
The Asgard is a bare minimum amp for LCD2 (I'm assuming it will adequately push it, as it does OK with the HE-500).  I'll bet that you will want upgrade your Asgard before very long.

Thanks for the heads up man. I think it will be a while before I invest into a solid pair of cans that is pushing a grand (at least a year or two). Even then its all dependant on finances anyways.

Nov 20, 2012 at 1:47 PM Post #21,344 of 29,490
Hey,

I am looking at buying a new pair of headphones. I want a pair that is clear and not to heavy on the bass. I want the bass to be tight and punchy. Pretty much i want them to be well balanced. Right now im looking at the sennheiser HD 280 or Audio Technica ath-m50. Any suggestions?

Nov 20, 2012 at 1:56 PM Post #21,345 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey,
I am looking at buying a new pair of headphones. I want a pair that is clear and not to heavy on the bass. I want the bass to be tight and punchy. Pretty much i want them to be well balanced. Right now im looking at the sennheiser HD 280 or Audio Technica ath-m50. Any suggestions?

Ultrasone HFI-780, more refined and balanced than either of those.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back