++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Nov 9, 2012 at 8:02 AM Post #21,001 of 29,490
Thanks for the reply miceblue, but I have another question for everyone.

If I were to go with the HD600 used or HD650 used would a Fiio e17 possibly be enough to use most of the phones potential? if not, would any portable amp get the job done?  If not would my fiio e7 be enough to get all the potential from Senn HD598? or would it benefit greatly from an upgrade to an e17?

sorry for so many questions, im just not very knowledgeable about amps, thanks

The hd598 works "well" with the E17. Not great though. I find i have to set gain to the highest to enjoy it. If you are considering a desktop amp, the 598 matches well with the schiit asgard way more than the e17 or e09k +e17 combo. I own the asgard and e17 and had the e09k for a week.

Order is like this best=asgard+hd598. Second=hd598+e09k, last is e17+hd598. Not to say it does not sound good, it just means the 598 can be made to sound better with other amps.

Nov 9, 2012 at 10:22 AM Post #21,002 of 29,490
I need a recommendation for my brother for using with his keyboard (piano).  They need to be very comfortable and have a fairly flat, and around ear.  They do not need to be closed but they can't leak TOO much noise, as he will be using them at night in his apartment he shares with three other guys.  Thanks in advance!

Nov 9, 2012 at 10:24 AM Post #21,003 of 29,490
I need a recommendation for my brother for using with his keyboard (piano).  They need to be very comfortable and have a fairly flat, and around ear.  They do not need to be closed but they can't leak TOO much noise, as he will be using them at night in his apartment he shares with three other guys.  Thanks in advance!

Budget?

Nov 9, 2012 at 12:40 PM Post #21,005 of 29,490
Dang, wish I had seen this thread before I started my other.

Just went to Guitar Center to try out as many headphones as I could. The Shure SRH940 were the best things I have ever heard. That said, they are $300

I have wanted to try the House of Marley stuff and hope to try one day. The Aviators were leading the pack for my casual listening needs.

What about the V moda Crossfade M80? They look cool. Have a ton of positive reviews on line, but so do Beats. I didn't care for the ATH M50s really at all. Again, no monitoring or engineering, but just casual listening. I like bass but not tons. Really like my K81 DJs but looking for something new.

Nov 9, 2012 at 1:04 PM Post #21,006 of 29,490
Just went to Guitar Center to try out as many headphones as I could. The Shure SRH940 were the best things I have ever heard. That said, they are $300
I have wanted to try the House of Marley stuff and hope to try one day. The Aviators were leading the pack for my casual listening needs.
What about the V moda Crossfade M80? They look cool. Have a ton of positive reviews on line, but so do Beats. I didn't care for the ATH M50s really at all. Again, no monitoring or engineering, but just casual listening. I like bass but not tons. Really like my K81 DJs but looking for something new.

It sounds like you are on a budget. Please list your max budget and what you liked about the 940 sound wise. In other words what sound are you looking for and what will you be listening to on them.

Yes the M80 is a very nice sounding headphone and I would recommend it but I don't know if it would suit your music preferences.

Nov 9, 2012 at 2:42 PM Post #21,008 of 29,490

It sounds like you are on a budget. Please list your max budget and what you liked about the 940 sound wise. In other words what sound are you looking for and what will you be listening to on them.

Yes the M80 is a very nice sounding headphone and I would recommend it but I don't know if it would suit your music preferences.

Sorry. Probably in the 150 to 200 range. I listen to DMB, coldplay,mumford, Avett Bros, Pearl jam, 90s rock and some 90s rap.

Musical clarity and some decent bass are my desires

Nov 9, 2012 at 6:03 PM Post #21,009 of 29,490
In fact, I need to hear the M80s now. It seem like its down to those and Aviators for me, unless I can find some House of Marley Exodus to try before buying.

If I catch a wild hair, and wait until Xmas, I may try the much more expensice Shure 940s. But ill need a amp for those too, just raising the price. Probably not.

Nov 9, 2012 at 9:13 PM Post #21,010 of 29,490
Oh, so there's a recommendation thread? That's nice.

I'm looking for a large pair of full-sized headphones for around 100$ with a large sound stage, (preferably) very comfortable, and a balanced sound as opposed to a bassier sound. I've never bought a really good pair of headphones before; the best I've had are my Sennheiser 419s. I've been looking at either getting the Audio Technica ATH-AD700, Audio Technica ATH-T500 or the Sennheiser HD 518. Out of these choices (or whatever you guys would think is best), what would you recommend?

Nov 9, 2012 at 9:44 PM Post #21,011 of 29,490
Hello!  I am kinda new to the whole headphone business and mostly have just been using whatever i find.  I am in need of some headphones that are in the mid 100s range or lower.  I mainly listen to dubstep, drum and bass, house, and hard rock.  I love bass but don't want to overpower everything else.  I also need a portable amp that would be good with the suggested headphones.  My price limit for the amp is about $30 max.  Any suggestions would be nice thanks!  Also the headphones I have been looking at are the Audio-Technica ATH M-50's and I have been looking at the Fiio E6 Headphone Amplifier for them, would that be a good combination for me to get, knowing my music preferences?

Nov 10, 2012 at 1:16 AM Post #21,012 of 29,490
Quote:

The Ultrasones definitely don't feel flimsy or unstable 
smile.gif

Well, I suppose I can take your word for it.

Oh, one more thing I should have mentioned, a lot of the Dub and Dubstep has a lot of focus on sub-bass, like, below 60hz. How do the Ultrasones handle those frequencies?

Nov 10, 2012 at 8:59 AM Post #21,013 of 29,490
Anyone tried Fashionnation headphones? They are always catching my eye in TKMaxx, but I'm not sure if they are good sound quality. 
E.g. http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=fashionation+headphones&hl=en&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=3leeUNrRPKGb1AWX2YGABA&sqi=2&ved=0CE4QsAQ&biw=1366&bih=667 

Nov 10, 2012 at 10:24 AM Post #21,014 of 29,490
Quote:
Well, I suppose I can take your word for it.

Oh, one more thing I should have mentioned, a lot of the Dub and Dubstep has a lot of focus on sub-bass, like, below 60hz. How do the Ultrasones handle those frequencies?

They have sub-bass. You might research and ask in the Ultrasone Fan Club thread to find out more. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back