++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Nov 7, 2012 at 11:21 AM Post #20,971 of 29,490
I dunno where you heard that from. The wingplate fracturing issue has only happened to 1-2 people. The M-80's are no less prone for that problem as that structure is nearly identical to that of the M-100's. And actually, since the M-80's headband is much smaller than that of the M-100, I would think the problem is more common for the M-80 since the fully extended headband would add more stress to the wingplate area (probably the weakest part of the headband design).

I was talking about the DT1350 vs the M100 which is what he was asking about.

Yes I think the Beyers are better made than any V moda product I have ever seen

Nov 7, 2012 at 11:37 AM Post #20,972 of 29,490
Hello there nice audiophiles

I have listened to the mighty UE9000 and i then realized that my actual heaphones were not really proper headphones

i am looking for something wireless that would be great on an iphone 4s and a / galaxy S3  my price range would be 100-150£

i dont know much about heaphones...

thanks in advance for the answers

Nov 7, 2012 at 11:56 AM Post #20,973 of 29,490
Hello, sorry for my english. I am looking to buy new home headphones. for listening all genres of music. It should be under 200 dollars. A really like audio technica a700x and beyerdynamic dt 770 maybe audio technica m50s (maybe very bass). Which is best ? or something else under 200 dollars. My previous was koss porta pro Thanks

The M50 is a good headphone for the money. They don't have much for soundstage. "very bassy" is not how I would describe them. The DT770 is quite superior to the M50 especially in sound stage, but you are going to get more bass and treble emphasis whereas the M50 is a lot more balanced (though I would say it is still a tad U shaped). IMO the DT770 as a much more realistic presentation than the M50. Haven't heard the AT.

Bear in mind if you get the 770 you will need an amp to realize their true potential in sound. Even a small one like the E11 for portable or E10 for desktop use.

Nov 7, 2012 at 12:02 PM Post #20,974 of 29,490
Hello there nice audiophiles

I have listened to the mighty UE9000 and i then realized that my actual heaphones were not really proper headphones

i am looking for something wireless that would be great on an iphone 4s and a / galaxy S3  my price range would be 100-150£

i dont know much about heaphones...

thanks in advance for the answers

Don't expect to match that sound necessairly unless you go wired. There ar many wired headphones that have terfific sound around your price point.

But your best bet is going to find yourself a used or refurbished seller for the Sennheiser MM400 or the MM500 if you want blutooth. I had the MM550 which is the active noise cancelling version and with the NC turned off they were a good sounding headpohone.

Nov 7, 2012 at 12:29 PM Post #20,975 of 29,490
Quote:
Don't expect to match that sound necessairly unless you go wired. There ar many wired headphones that have terfific sound around your price point.
But your best bet is going to find yourself a used or refurbished seller for the Sennheiser MM400 or the MM500 if you want blutooth. I had the MM550 which is the active noise cancelling version and with the NC turned off they were a good sounding headpohone.

Thanks for your reply

http://www.sennheiserusa.com/bluetooth-stereo-wireless-headset_504514 so they have a microphone ?

edit nevermind these actually are awesome and cost almost 100£ less than the UE9000 thanks a lot

Nov 7, 2012 at 12:46 PM Post #20,976 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi, I'm trying to decide on a pair of headphones mostly for casual music playing, and I'm going to run them straight out of my iPhone and/or computer. I'm not a basshead or audiophile, and I don't think I'll really notice any subtle recessions or differences, as I have been using mostly the stock Apple earbuds, and the AKG K77's occasionally. I really like the sound of the K77's, but I want an upgrade, so I've come to a choice between the Sony XB500, the ATH M50, the DJ1/HFI-580 and the DJ1 Pro/PRO550. I have done my research on these headphones, and from what I've seen, the XB500 are real basshead cans, the ATH M50 gives a very flat response, the HFI-580's are sort of balanced, but have a little more colorful bass, and the PRO550 has a larger soundstage than the 580's, but with less bass and bass impact. I mostly listen to electronic music(like DnB, dubstep, house, trance), so I do want some big bass, just not overpowering. My budget is around $150(I'm not really the type to pay a lot for some cans), and I'm kind of leaning toward the 580/M50's, but I'm interested now in the others. 

Can any audiophiles help me out?

Bump?

Nov 7, 2012 at 12:52 PM Post #20,977 of 29,490
Hey gang,

I'm in the market for something to use at work and was looking into circumaural, closed cans and amp that would be best for progressive rock and metal (mostly).  I'll be playing music from an iPod classic or from my PC (which has the most basic sound card)

After reading the site and looking around a bit at different reviews I think I'm down between a few choices for headphones:

ATH-M50
ATH-ES10 (leaves a bit less budget for amp)
Beyerdynamic DT 660
Shure SR840s

I'm trying to keep things under 400$ total but I could go higher if the quality is really there.

My usual listening device is an old pair of Shure SE-5 IEM's, unamped through an iPod classic.  I dig the clarity and seperation they provide and am looking for something similar in full size cans, perhaps with a larger sound stage.

Any help or other suggestions are greatly appreciated. 

Thanks

Nov 7, 2012 at 1:12 PM Post #20,978 of 29,490
Quote:
Looking for something for my HD600's...

Sennheiser HD600's and FiiO E9 amp for a year now... I love this combo, and the sounds I've heard go into my ears since last Christmas have been amazing. However, I've been thinking back about something: should I have gotten the E7 with them? How much of a difference would the E7 make at this point? HOW would the E7 make a difference?

I'm just wondering if I should order it once I get a little extra cash saved up, or if it's kinda a moot thing to do at this point.

(EDIT: I use the HD600 + E9 getup to listen to music on my ASUS A53SV-XE1 notebook.)

IMO

If you really want improvements for your sennheiser 600, don't invest money in marginal (at best) upgrades such as replacing your integrated sound card with the e7.
I think you'd be better off saving the money and then get something that will really do justice to your hd600's, like a Nuforce HD for instance. You'll get a better dac and amp in one without spending any money on redundancy.
Even if you just had, let's say, 200 bucks to spend, I'd still definitely say you'd get more bang for your buck with a better amp than with a new dac.

Not saying the e9 is bad by any means, by the way, in fact there will probably still be a matter of taste involved in whether the nuforce is better than the e9. But I'd bet money you would prefer the nuforce, if you know what i mean.

Nov 7, 2012 at 1:17 PM Post #20,979 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi guys,

I have 2 main questions, very nearly posted in a new thread but decided to try here before cluttering up the forum yet more.

I've had a pair of AD900's for some 8 years now, which I have enjoyed very much, driven by a Asus Xonar STX, however they get used all day every day and are starting to show their age. I've been keen on picking up a pair of closed headphones for a while.

Every now and then I have a burst of energetic reading and usually end up deciding on a pair of DT250s - I listen to a wide range of music, mostly older rock and softer groove/dance music, so good clean bass is important with good extension, as well as mid detail. I'm not so fussed on treble, especially as my hearing range has dropped of markedly as I've gotten older, so the roll off with the DT250s doesn't bother me. Early on the soundstage with my AD900s was a big selling point, but either through the 'phones age or my own I don't get the feeling anymore so I'm not going to let that sway me too much.

So, question 1: Can anyone give approximate dimensions for the inner space of the DT250 cups? I utterly detest having my ears pressed by headphones, and while I don't have radar dishes my ears are probably a bit on the large side. One of the deciding factors for the AD900's was the large cups. I sadly don't have any stores within a few hours drive which have DT250s to try on, and I want to make sure my ears will fit inside before purchase.

Question 2: Will my Asus STX be up to driving the 250ohm version? From what I've read the 250ohm is a marginally superior version, in terms of extension and detail, but it would be a downgrade if I wasn't able to properly drive it. I picked up the card originally because of the shoddy quality of on-board sound and the time (also not having digital out), and because of the low noise floor (AD900s having quite low impedance). From what I have read elsewhere it should be able to, but I wouldn't mind making certain.

Thanks for your time, appreciate it!

Question 2: Yes the essence can quite easily handle them. They handled my hd650's (300 ohm) no problem. I can't say how you will enjoy the sound though (not implying it won't sound good, just saying I really don't know :p).

Nov 7, 2012 at 9:47 PM Post #20,981 of 29,490
Hello Head-Fi community!

I've been looking around for a new pair of headphones for awhile, but now that my most recent pair of headphones (Steelseries Siberia v2)were destroyed by the dog I'm forcing myself to buy. I'd like to add that I haven't tried anything better than my last pair so I'm probably going to lean towards entry level.

Music:
Rock, Metal, Country, Rap, Hip Hop, EDM, pretty much anything. I'd say I lean more towards bassier music but I don't want to be overwhelmed with bass.

Uses:
Mainly at home, but I'd like to be able to use them (without a portable amp for now) on my portable devices.

Comfort:
Not a big issue here, but I would like to wear them on my big noggin without too much fatigue.

Design (this is why I'm posting in this thread):
Closed
The most important thing for me is minimal branding. I don't mind looking like a space cadet, but I'd like to avoid it if possible. I've done a lot of browsing here and elsewhere with not much luck on finding anything to my liking that wasn't going to break my bank.

Modification:
I'm just keeping an open mind with this because I like to take things apart after I'm "done" with them. So if I can make a safe buy into a better pair of 'phones then that'd be cool!
Price range:
Up to $150

TL;DR:
Entry level, sound great for EDM type music but still good everywhere else, minimal design with little to no branding, closed, possible mod ability, $150.
Thanks in advance!

Nov 7, 2012 at 10:21 PM Post #20,982 of 29,490
Thanks for the reply miceblue, but I have another question for everyone.

If I were to go with the HD600 used or HD650 used would a Fiio e17 possibly be enough to use most of the phones potential? if not, would any portable amp get the job done?  If not would my fiio e7 be enough to get all the potential from Senn HD598? or would it benefit greatly from an upgrade to an e17?

sorry for so many questions, im just not very knowledgeable about amps, thanks

Nov 7, 2012 at 10:37 PM Post #20,983 of 29,490
Quote:
Thanks for the reply miceblue, but I have another question for everyone.

If I were to go with the HD600 used or HD650 used would a Fiio e17 possibly be enough to use most of the phones potential? if not, would any portable amp get the job done?  If not would my Fiio E7 be enough to get all the potential from Senn HD598? or would it benefit greatly from an upgrade to an e17?

Sennheiser HD600/650 (300-ohms)
Personally, my two cents, get some lower Ohm headphones for being on the move.
Technically, the E17 should be able to decently drive the HD600/650, but I heard you really want something more like a desktop amplifier (Little Dot MKIII?) to get the most out of the HD600/650.
Something like the Fiio E7 should easily be able to drive 50-ohm headphones like the HD598.
But it's all just my 2 cents.

Nov 7, 2012 at 11:40 PM Post #20,984 of 29,490
Quote:
Sennheiser HD600/650 (300-ohms)
Personally, my two cents, get some lower Ohm headphones for being on the move.
Technically, the E17 should be able to decently drive the HD600/650, but I heard you really want something more like a desktop amplifier (Little Dot MKIII?) to get the most out of the HD600/650.
Something like the Fiio E7 should easily be able to drive 50-ohm headphones like the HD598.
But it's all just my 2 cents.

Thanks for the advice, looks like I'll go with the HD598's 
smile.gif

Nov 7, 2012 at 11:45 PM Post #20,985 of 29,490
[size=10pt]Hey everyone, I'm new to the community and just wanted to introduce myself I suppose. I'm by no means an audiophile (yet) as I have just begun this "journey". Furthermore, I enjoy listening to my music at a higher sound quality than that seen in apple ear buds. After reading over multiple reviews on this site and others I decided to start my journey about 6 months ago with a set of Ultrasone HFI-580s and a Fiio E11 portable amplifier. I was quite impressed by these almost immediately, however, I'm left wanting more as I'm not sure if these fit the genres of music I listen to most often.  [/size]

[size=10pt]I probably listen to about 80% rock (everything from Bob Seger and Boston to Breaking Benjamin and Creed) and about 20% rap/hip hop. I feel like the 580s do a better job with rap and hip hop as compared to rock. Therefore, I'm looking for a new set of full-sized cans that will really only be used for listening to rock music. I'm going to have about a $300-400 price limit on the headphones and amp if one is necessary. Also, these are only going to be used around the house so I have no preference as to whether they are open or closed. All suggestions/advice is appreciated, thanks![/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back