++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Oct 18, 2012 at 2:19 PM Post #20,341 of 29,490
Ok so I posted a new thread before I saw this one so I'll post here and close the other one (if I can). Let me know if you need any additional clarification.

Ok so I got a pair of brand new AH-D400s and in short I hate them. Here are a list of my complaints with them and I would like some suggestions for a different pair. Looking for a pair of open sub-$250 cans.

1) Closed construction. I don't like not being able to hear anything around me so looking for some open headphones.

2) FAR too bass heavy, I don't know if it's because of being closed or what, but I feel like the bass drowns out all the rest of the music.

3) These are made for iPhone/iPod/iPad and I am getting a new phone in 3 weeks that will be android so I will lose the use of the controls on them. I also don't particularly like having the controls as I usually just use the volume controls on my phone. So prefer no controls on them as I feel they get in the way.

4) Cushions seem very stiff. I know this is personal preference, but to give you some idea of what I like I had a pair of HD555s that I think were amazing and felt fantastic on my ears.

This is my list of stuff. Please help me decide.

I am currently leaning towards HD598s, but my only fear is that I will get them super dirty because of the ivory coloring on them. I love the colors, but I'm just scared they will show every bit of dirt on them.

I also would like to get a low impedance pair of cans for now as these will be my traveling cans and will be used mainly with a phone. I would prefer to not have to get an amp for them as that is just one more thing I would have to bring with me and I don't feel like carrying a backpack everywhere.

Thanks guys!

Beyer is selling a blue ring version of the 32ohm dt880 on ebay right now (yes beyer sells direct on ebay) 200 bucks.

Super comfy, slick looking, for SURE, not too bassy for u. Beyer made the 32 ohm versions for the portable use but the only thing i have to mention is i never use my 32 ohm dt990s unamped. Mainly cuz the bass is non existent that way but the 990 is intended to be a more bassy can....

You could try those or the black hd558. You can look up the foam mod and make those sound almost identical to the 598 you are looking at. And theyll be black! Imo the dt880 > hd598 though.

Edit: Just get yourself a fiio e6 amp. The thing is smaller than a reeces peanut butter cup and fits in your pocket. Dt880+fiio e6+fiio L9 lod cable = good stuff.

Oct 18, 2012 at 2:20 PM Post #20,342 of 29,490
Quote:
Hmm, the O2 seems pretty sweet since it's almost unanimously approved within and outside of head-fi. But, if I really need a DAC for the O2 to shine, then I might skip it altogether and buy a cheaper bundle now and nicer DAC/amp combo later on.

I think I might take your advice poodytang, and buy a reasonable amp for the time being and upgrade to a much nicer amp in a while - stuff like the Asgard looks pretty awesome. I think I can get my hands on a well-cared for E9. I know it has the power to drive the 250, maybe even the 600 ohm 880s, but will I be missing anything going to the E9 instead of the O2/EF2A?

ef2a has the tuby warmth that goes well with a little analytical can like the DT880. and i definitely think it has a very good price-performance ratio but it's all up to you, usually people get the e9 and e17 combination to drive cans. and i personally only listened to the e10,e11 and e17. the e10 seems to be the sweet spot for value as a desktop amp for me and the e11 for a portable amp.

Oct 18, 2012 at 2:53 PM Post #20,344 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello all,

I've been lurking for the past week or so, reading reviews and comments. I'm a newcomer to the head-fi idea and was hoping to get some recommendations for a good place to start. I'll try to answer questions I've seen other ask:

Budget: $200. Less is more, but if there's something up to $250 or so that makes a significant difference, I will consider it.

Usage: These headphones would be for use with a computer primarily. I'm an avid gamer, but also enjoy listening to music.  However, there are pretty good odds that I will be wanting to use them with a portable player (esp. iphone 4). If doing so necessitates leaving room in my budget for an amp, that should be accounted for.

Music: I typically listen to a variety of genres. Bands such as Tool, A Perfect Circle, 10 Years, R.E.M., Imogen Heap, and a variety of classical pieces. So well-roundedness would seem to be important.

Previous Headphones: I have some Sennheiser PC-350s (http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-PC-350-Collapsible-Microphone/dp/B0012XFDWO) that I absolutely love. Had them for 4 years, but just had to send them in for repairs since I didn't treat them as well as I should have.

Preferences: So as not to disturb my wife while gaming or listening to music, closed headphones are probably better than open.

I'm looking forward to what you all might recommend, and don't feel bad about the wallet.

Closed cans, especially in this price range and most especially that don't need an amp, and gaming don't go very well together.  The best choices (music factored in) are probably the KRK KNS 8400 and Shure SRH 840 in that order.

Oct 18, 2012 at 2:58 PM Post #20,345 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi lurked for ages now, this is my second post here, I originally posted this here in this section, but never got around to purchasing headphones, but now I'm keen to get some as soon as possible.

Music Source: I need headphones that do NOT require an amp, I'll be using my iPhone, PC, HTPC and lastly these will be plugged into my Yamaha Clavinova.
Use: At home & travelling, movies and music.
Music Genre: Rock, indie-rock, pop, classical, jazz, blues, R&B. Allsorts really.
Comfort: Absolutely, the more comfort the better.
Portable: Yes, would be good.
Looks: As long as they sound good, I don't care what they look like. 
Robust: Yes, ideally one with a separate cable, but not an issue if it is not.

Price Range: Up to £300 (I'm in the UK, but can buy easily in the US)

I originally stated that I did not need noise cancelling. BUT I'm now travelling a lot for work and now my priorities are:

Closed back
Circumaural
Really good isolation
Comfort - very much so
Noise cancelling, Yes - unless the general isolation is good enough - and so long as they don't ruin the sound, but hopefully the headphones will still work without the noise cancelling on, or batteries are flat ? Is that possible ?
Nothing that pumps out the bass like a mad thing.

I've seen the Ultimate Ears 6000 and 9000 online, which look ok and seem to cover my requirements and the reviews here at head-fi seem generally ok, but wondered if there was anything else that would be more suitable ?

Any advice / help gratefully received, as I have spent far too much time here at head-fi and am now thoroughly confused and have no idea what to get !

I've got to get some of these real soon, as using the IEM's for hours at a time, is not enjoyable.

cheers
Aaron

Based on multiple posts for a extended period of time, most of us that frequent this thread to offer advice are not big fans of active noise canceling cans.  The best i can do is to refer you to Tyll's Wall of Fame for this type of headphone:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-noise-canceling

Oct 18, 2012 at 3:01 PM Post #20,346 of 29,490
Quote:
Closed cans, especially in this price range and most especially that don't need an amp, and gaming don't go very well together.  The best choices (music factored in) are probably the KRK KNS 8400 and Shure SRH 840 in that order.

What requirements would need to change to get something that would go well together (i.e. high budget, using an amp, etc)?

Oct 18, 2012 at 3:09 PM Post #20,347 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello

I have been in the market for some new headphones for at least a month. I have been researching endlessly to find a headphone that fits my needs and would enhance my experience while listening to music. My choices have been narrowed to either the Shure 840, Sennheiser HD598, AKG K702, Beyerdynamic DT990, DT880, or DT1350. 

The music I listen to is Electronica, Classical, Classic Rock (AC/DC, Led Zep), oldies, and my favorites Psychedelic music (especially Pink Floyd). I want a pair with decent-great soundstage, portable, and great comfort. I am going to use these with my iPod Classic 160GB (2009 version). Which of the mentioned headphones would be ideal for me? I am leaning towards the Shure 840s but would that be ideal?

Only closed cans will work for portable (in public) use.  The two closed cans on your list are the Shure SRH 840 and Beyer DT 1350.  Neither is great for sound stage.  The DT 1350 is an outstanding portable can, but not an outstanding sounding can in general for the money.  Further, the on ear DT 1350 is only "OK" on comfort.  Fine for a domestic plane ride; not so fine for all day at the office.

My recommendation is get an amp (if you don't have one) and the Shure SRH 940 (which can be had for the same price as some of the cans you listed).  If you have to pick between those you listed, go for the Shure--its cheaper and more comfortable than the Beyer for most.

Oct 18, 2012 at 3:12 PM Post #20,348 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:

What requirements would need to change to get something that would go well together (i.e. high budget, using an amp, etc)?

Both--to reach the Shure SRH 940 or the bassy (but not basshead) Ultrasone Pro 750.

Oct 18, 2012 at 3:18 PM Post #20,349 of 29,490
Quote:

I think I might take your advice poodytang, and buy a reasonable amp for the time being and upgrade to a much nicer amp in a while - stuff like the Asgard looks pretty awesome. I think I can get my hands on a well-cared for E9. I know it has the power to drive the 250, maybe even the 600 ohm 880s, but will I be missing anything going to the E9 instead of the O2/EF2A?

Fiio and audiophile or very good mid-fi cans creates a mismatch.  Get a better amp, unless it will be limited to occasional or casual use.

The EF2A or O2 gets you into good (entry level) amp territory that will power most any dynamic can.

The more expensive (and solid state) Asgard gives you enough power to push at least some planars, like the HE-500.

Oct 18, 2012 at 3:24 PM Post #20,350 of 29,490
Quote:
Ok so I posted a new thread before I saw this one so I'll post here and close the other one (if I can). Let me know if you need any additional clarification.

Ok so I got a pair of brand new AH-D400s and in short I hate them. Here are a list of my complaints with them and I would like some suggestions for a different pair. Looking for a pair of open sub-$250 cans.

1) Closed construction. I don't like not being able to hear anything around me so looking for some open headphones.

2) FAR too bass heavy, I don't know if it's because of being closed or what, but I feel like the bass drowns out all the rest of the music.

3) These are made for iPhone/iPod/iPad and I am getting a new phone in 3 weeks that will be android so I will lose the use of the controls on them. I also don't particularly like having the controls as I usually just use the volume controls on my phone. So prefer no controls on them as I feel they get in the way.

4) Cushions seem very stiff. I know this is personal preference, but to give you some idea of what I like I had a pair of HD555s that I think were amazing and felt fantastic on my ears.

This is my list of stuff. Please help me decide.

I am currently leaning towards HD598s, but my only fear is that I will get them super dirty because of the ivory coloring on them. I love the colors, but I'm just scared they will show every bit of dirt on them.

I also would like to get a low impedance pair of cans for now as these will be my traveling cans and will be used mainly with a phone. I would prefer to not have to get an amp for them as that is just one more thing I would have to bring with me and I don't feel like carrying a backpack everywhere.

Thanks guys!

I assume that you know that open cans will leak and don't work well for in public use.

That said, the HD 558 or 598 are great choices within your budget.

The wild side, rock you world pick would be the very different Grado SR 225i.

Oct 18, 2012 at 4:07 PM Post #20,351 of 29,490
Hi there, I was wondering what headphones + amp you would recommend for around 550$ (im in uk so its about 350-400 GBP) 

The headphones:
- Preferably wont leak enough sound to be heard downstairs when loudish
- open/closed whatever, preferably open but i don't want the whole house to be complaining about my music listening 
L3000.gif

-Need to be extremely comfy for a long period of time
-preferably removable cable
-dont need to be portable, i have some phones' for that! (although it could be a +)
-Preferable below 450-500$ (250-300GBP)

genre's i listen to!
-House
-Electro
-Female Vocals
-The odd alt rock song

and with regards to amp, i was considering something around 100GBP (150$) along the lines of o2, fiio e9, i would consider the schiit asgard (from what i'v heard it is the schiit..) if i can get it shipped over. :\

What headphones would you guys recommend for this? 

Sorry about the essay!

Thanks for reading,

Oct 18, 2012 at 4:36 PM Post #20,352 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi there, I was wondering what headphones + amp you would recommend for around 550$ (im in uk so its about 350-400 GBP) 

The headphones:
- Preferably wont leak enough sound to be heard downstairs when loudish
open/closed whatever, preferably open but i don't want the whole house to be complaining about my music listening 
L3000.gif

-Need to be extremely comfy for a long period of time
-preferably removable cable
-dont need to be portable, i have some phones' for that! (although it could be a +)
-Preferable below 450-500$ (250-300GBP)
genre's i listen to!
-House
-Electro
-Female Vocals
-The odd alt rock song
and with regards to amp, i was considering something around 100GBP (150$) along the lines of o2, fiio e9, i would consider the schiit asgard (from what i'v heard it is the schiit..) if i can get it shipped over. :\
What headphones would you guys recommend for this?

Beyerdynamic DT770 (closed) Pro 250-Ohm or DT990 (open) Pro 250-Ohm headphones.
Fiio E09(K)

AKG K550
O2 (Objective 2)
The Fiio E11 portable headphone amplifier, cheaper then the O2, but need to be recharged or swap with spare battery.

What DAC do you have, if any?
Are you going to be using headphone with a PC?

Oct 18, 2012 at 5:17 PM Post #20,354 of 29,490
Quote:
Will be out of a pc primarily, I have a Xonar DG, I assumed this would be enough?

Might as well stick with the Xonar DG.
If you can ever pick up a used Xonar DX or D1 (better DAC) for under $40, might be worth swapping out.

Oct 18, 2012 at 6:09 PM Post #20,355 of 29,490
Quote:
So can someone please give me a recommendation without telling me to just spend more money?  I appreciate hipster 2010’s input, does anyone else have experience with the Paradox fostex and the HD650?

The HD 650 are a fun headphone but so much that they lose any of their audiophile credentials.  They aren't as analytical as the DT 880.  They aren't as spread out as the Q701.  They deliver impact without whacking sound stage and detail.  i find them to be a great rock can--usually better than their more neutral sibling the HD 600.

I agree with what some reviewers like Chris Martens have said--the sound of the HD 650 can be highly amp dependent.  I have also found that, like Chris, the HiFiMan EF 5 hybrid amp is a great combo with them.  Before Senn MAPed them, they were an excellent buy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back