++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Oct 16, 2012 at 7:38 PM Post #20,267 of 29,490
I do remember getting a bad Q701 exchanged it and it sounded better. it was weird to be honest... I love my Q701's I will always have these, but I am looking for something more fun and closed maybe portable too. just to complement the q701's because people complain all the time about the Q701. which brings me to the ultrasone hfi- I'm not familiar with this brand or line of headphones but I am interested if anyone can shine some light on them that would be great. 

Oct 16, 2012 at 8:18 PM Post #20,268 of 29,490
I do remember getting a bad Q701 exchanged it and it sounded better. it was weird to be honest... I love my Q701's I will always have these, but I am looking for something more fun and closed maybe portable too. just to complement the q701's because people complain all the time about the Q701. which brings me to the ultrasone hfi- I'm not familiar with this brand or line of headphones but I am interested if anyone can shine some light on them that would be great. 

Try to audition the pro 750 much more fun sounding than Q701 while being quite balanced and having a good soundstage.

Oct 16, 2012 at 8:51 PM Post #20,271 of 29,490
UE 9000, PSB M4u2, or Parrot Zik ?
Looking for a good portable wirless bluetooth headphone.. Noise Cancelling doesnt need to be great

Oct 16, 2012 at 9:02 PM Post #20,272 of 29,490
Quote:
Beyerdynamic dt880, superb for metal at the price range and will sound fuller than the q701. Since its so balanced, it'll actually work for a variety of genres as well.

always, I like really everything on mine, including bass heavy Dub Step beleive it or not! 

Oct 16, 2012 at 10:14 PM Post #20,275 of 29,490
Just want to jump my recommendation a bit.

So the HFI-780 seems to be a good choice for my bass (EDM, Dub, Electronica, D&B, Gaming) needs. Any other recommendations? I've heard the Custom One Pros are pretty good and D2000 seems to be a good choice. Any other recommendations?

Oct 16, 2012 at 10:46 PM Post #20,276 of 29,490
Quote:
Just want to jump my recommendation a bit.

So the HFI-780 seems to be a good choice for my bass (EDM, Dub, Electronica, D&B, Gaming) needs. Any other recommendations? I've heard the Custom One Pros are pretty good and D2000 seems to be a good choice. Any other recommendations?

D2000's are discontinued at this point and time, so the price will be going up from here on out. I've amazing things about them, and how they are the king of bass. It's a shame I can't afford them. The custom one pro's seem great, extremely customizable, and great bass. Not sure about gaming for you though, but you are going to want an amp if you want a lot of bass, it helps a lot.

Looking for thoughts on the Pro700MK2's

Oct 16, 2012 at 11:09 PM Post #20,277 of 29,490
Quote:
D2000's are discontinued at this point and time, so the price will be going up from here on out. I've amazing things about them, and how they are the king of bass. It's a shame I can't afford them. The custom one pro's seem great, extremely customizable, and great bass. Not sure about gaming for you though, but you are going to want an amp if you want a lot of bass, it helps a lot.

Looking for thoughts on the Pro700MK2's

D2000, the kings of bass, and paired with EDM? I don't think so, for neither claim, that's Ultrasone's realm.

Oct 16, 2012 at 11:50 PM Post #20,278 of 29,490
Quote:
+1 on the DT880. It's prolly the closest you are going to get that I have heard to both worlds. I am also considering picking up a pair of AKG550's that are closed (the 880 is semi-closed) and they sound like they might fit your needs.
Read what Tyll says about them here:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/wonderfully-competent-akg-k550-sealed-headphone
There is also a video he does on page 2 of that article. In terms of recording just listen to what he has to say about the high end (you can't have everything).
Lastly in regards to the 380 yes you can get a 3.5mm to 2.5mm cable to replace the coiled. Some cables need a little shaving around the plug. I used the Sennheiser hd210 replacement straight cable which required no modification here: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/547683-REG/Sennheiser_091581_Replacement_Cable_for_HD.html
Yes the 380s are not the best choice for most music listening. If you want something that is "fun" I love my Beyerdynamic DT990's. They are an open can and I would think they would be good for gaming due to the sparkly detailed high end (I know it's weird but I'm not really a gamer so just from what I hear
smily_headphones1.gif
). They have a lot of bass quantity for an open can and good extension and quality.
So you could go: DT990 + HD380 = $350dollars for two different uses
Or -- DT880 for all-rounder -- $250 to $300
Or -- AKG550 for all-rounder -- $300.
You will need an amp for the DT models for best sound.

Thanks for the further advice. I think I might just honestly go with the HD380 pros since I rather doubt that I'll mind the flat response all that much for music, but I'm still unsure because I might need more bass for gaming. Completely disregarding use as a monitor, what would you recommend for closed-back over-ear headphones? Again, I mostly listen to rock such as Cake and The Shins, but I listen to other genres too (recently I've really been into Ratatat.)

Thanks again

Oct 17, 2012 at 12:06 AM Post #20,279 of 29,490
i put on a pro700mk2 recently....geez it clampss like a shell on my head. 
And the pads are kinda shallow, the drivers very near my ears..touching actually.
comfortwise its out for me...unless u can tweak tat...
so its best u try it on. 

Oct 17, 2012 at 12:11 AM Post #20,280 of 29,490
Quote:
i put on a pro700mk2 recently....geez it clampss like a shell on my head. 
And the pads are kinda shallow, the drivers very near my ears..touching actually.
comfortwise its out for me...unless u can tweak tat...
so its best u try it on. 

Most people switch those pads with the M50's and say it makes the sound better aswell. Or if you can put some cotton balls underneath the pad like this NightOwls Simple M50 mod

Also I am tempted to buy a "fun" sounding headphone with tons of bass, over-ear... Is there anything better than the Ultrasone HFI-580 for that price range? I already have an amp (Fiio E11) and some M50's but I just want my brain to shake >:) 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back