++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Oct 16, 2012 at 12:32 AM Post #20,236 of 29,490
Quote:
Thanks for the advice. I am more worried about sound than the portability factor, and don't have a lot of issue with the curled cable of the Senn 380s (I've seen people use straight cables of their own with it, so I bet I could do that if I really grew to hate the curling.) Most of all though, I really want the phones I get to have a nice listening experience. Is the flat response on the 380 really that boring for normal music use? Are there any cans out there where I can have my cake and eat it too by being enjoyable for music but usable as monitors? If not, and if you think that a flat response really isn't great for listening to music, what would you recommend for "fun" headphones, preferrably ones with enough bass and  a wide enough soundstage for a good gaming experience as well? Also, about the portables you mentioned, I tend to dislike on-ear headphones, do you have any thoughts on over ear portables? (again, portability is a low priority, if worst comes to worst, I'll use a pair of earbuds to drown out those around me. Sucks, but its better than no music at all imo :p )

Thanks for the advice and any to come :)

Well the Dt 880 has a pretty falt response and I very much enjoy it for Music! I ofc use a colored amp as well as a Colored DAP, but str8 out my PC un colored they still sound wonderful. Trust me good music sounds best through transient gear! Great music sounds even better, it's only the FUN music that needs a FUN Gear set up lol [and by Good I mean stuff like Classical or Sound Tracks... maybe even rock anything well mastered and balanced!] 

Oct 16, 2012 at 12:37 AM Post #20,237 of 29,490
Quote:
Well the Dt 880 has a pretty falt response and I very much enjoy it for Music! I ofc use a colored amp as well as a Colored DAP, but str8 out my PC un colored they still sound wonderful. Trust me good music sounds best through transient gear! Great music sounds even better, it's only the FUN music that needs a FUN Gear set up lol [and by Good I mean stuff like Classical or Sound Tracks... maybe even rock anything well mastered and balanced!] 

any music sounds good out of a neutral setup to me. i've yet to hear a genre that really sounds bad with the T1.

Oct 16, 2012 at 1:14 AM Post #20,238 of 29,490
Quote:
If you plan to start mixing your own music get a Pair of Dt 880s and understand what Neutral bass is like first of all, and when you want to enjoy your music on a Fun can go with the Dt 990 Pro for a nice V-Shaped Fun bass with the clarity in the highs that you've mixed

and ofc if u just want to listen and enjoy Dt 990 Pro 250 ohm is ur friend :3, amp it with a cMoy BB [50-100] or something better like a c421 maybe! 

thanks.. So JDS Labs C421 (OPA2227) + DT990s would be my safer choice for portability? I do like to crank up the Bass.. 

Oct 16, 2012 at 2:43 AM Post #20,242 of 29,490
Thanks for the advice. I am more worried about sound than the portability factor, and don't have a lot of issue with the curled cable of the Senn 380s (I've seen people use straight cables of their own with it, so I bet I could do that if I really grew to hate the curling.) Most of all though, I really want the phones I get to have a nice listening experience. Is the flat response on the 380 really that boring for normal music use? Are there any cans out there where I can have my cake and eat it too by being enjoyable for music but usable as monitors? If not, and if you think that a flat response really isn't great for listening to music, what would you recommend for "fun" headphones, preferrably ones with enough bass and  a wide enough soundstage for a good gaming experience as well? Also, about the portables you mentioned, I tend to dislike on-ear headphones, do you have any thoughts on over ear portables? (again, portability is a low priority, if worst comes to worst, I'll use a pair of earbuds to drown out those around me. Sucks, but its better than no music at all imo :p )

Thanks for the advice and any to come :)

+1 on the DT880. It's prolly the closest you are going to get that I have heard to both worlds. I am also considering picking up a pair of AKG550's that are closed (the 880 is semi-closed) and they sound like they might fit your needs.

Read what Tyll says about them here:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/wonderfully-competent-akg-k550-sealed-headphone

There is also a video he does on page 2 of that article. In terms of recording just listen to what he has to say about the high end (you can't have everything).

Lastly in regards to the 380 yes you can get a 3.5mm to 2.5mm cable to replace the coiled. Some cables need a little shaving around the plug. I used the Sennheiser hd210 replacement straight cable which required no modification here: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/547683-REG/Sennheiser_091581_Replacement_Cable_for_HD.html

Yes the 380s are not the best choice for most music listening. If you want something that is "fun" I love my Beyerdynamic DT990's. They are an open can and I would think they would be good for gaming due to the sparkly detailed high end (I know it's weird but I'm not really a gamer so just from what I hear :) ). They have a lot of bass quantity for an open can and good extension and quality.

So you could go: DT990 + HD380 = $350dollars for two different uses
Or -- DT880 for all-rounder -- $250 to $300
Or -- AKG550 for all-rounder -- $300.

You will need an amp for the DT models for best sound.

Oct 16, 2012 at 3:05 AM Post #20,243 of 29,490
Quote:
The vocals are somewhat laid back. I want a headphone where the vocals are lively. They're really nice for some genres though like jazz, hiphop, dubstep and etc. 

The Shure SRH940 will give you all the detail and clarity you want, but it might have a little less bass than you want. The DT880 as already mentioned should also work nicely, assuming you are ok with a semi-open headphone (though it leaks more like an open headphone IMO). You may also like a modded Fostex T50rp, such as the Mad Dog. These have a different type of driver that gives beautiful midrange, but also extend well in the bass and treble. My final recommendation would be a Denon D2000 if you are ok buying used. Pretty good all-rounder with a ton of sub-bass.

Oct 16, 2012 at 4:54 AM Post #20,246 of 29,490
Quote:
The Shure SRH940 will give you all the detail and clarity you want, but it might have a little less bass than you want. The DT880 as already mentioned should also work nicely, assuming you are ok with a semi-open headphone (though it leaks more like an open headphone IMO). You may also like a modded Fostex T50rp, such as the Mad Dog. These have a different type of driver that gives beautiful midrange, but also extend well in the bass and treble. My final recommendation would be a Denon D2000 if you are ok buying used. Pretty good all-rounder with a ton of sub-bass.

Thanks hipster2010! Now I got a lot of cans to choose from. It's time to read some reviews. Hehe. Thanks a lot!

Oct 16, 2012 at 8:16 AM Post #20,247 of 29,490
I've decided to buy a portable amp before i spend hundreds of my pounds on new cans (which i will do anyway)
At the moment I've got a pair of sennheiser HD25 and I'm thinking about buying some HD 598s in the future.
I say portable amp but it will spend most of it's time plugged into my laptop and also my phone (HTC incredible S)
I'm considering the  FiiO E11 or Electric Avenues PA2V2 but i don't want to spend more than £60 at most ($95)
If you approve or have better suggestions please say so.
(If it matters I listen to just about every genre bar Rap.)

Cheers in advance.

Oct 16, 2012 at 8:25 AM Post #20,248 of 29,490
Also on an unrelated side note.
Does anyone know of a good vinyl player that i can add to with desktop DACs and amplifiers later
Under £300 ($480) would be ideal.

Cheers in advance.

Oct 16, 2012 at 9:29 AM Post #20,250 of 29,490

Quote:
It might be the way they amped the headphones, the Senn HD558s (50-Ohm) "might" perform better with say a higher impedance source.
Where the headphones hooked up to something like an mp3 player, or some hidden headphone amplifier?

After some more research and lurking on the forums, I decided to go with a pair of Ultrasone Pro 900s. They're listed as having pretty good bass and they were marked down 45% on amazon so I jumped on it. Can't wait for em to come in!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back