++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Oct 14, 2012 at 10:35 AM Post #20,146 of 29,490
Quote:

I haven't heard the HM5, so I can't comment on that. To me, the V6s sound a little thin in comparison to the M50, although the mids on the M50s are a little more recessed because of the extra bass.  Definitely better bass on the M50.

Also, I think that a lot of electronic music has problematic treble. In other words, it's often not the headphone that's causing the sibilance, but the quality of the song's recording. So for me, the detail of the V6s, along with it's brighter sonic signature, makes that more obvious. 

They are a very thin sounding headphone. 

Oct 14, 2012 at 11:06 AM Post #20,147 of 29,490
Quote:
What do ya'll think about the DT990's? There's a new site offering the best price ive seen. 

Here's the deal so you can take "bang for buck" into account. You've gotta make an account to see the site but it's pretty cool other than that. 

http://massdrop.com/beyerdynamic-dt990-headphones

Damn! I just came over from /r/massdrop  and I was hoping to get a few people to use my referral code xD

Oct 14, 2012 at 11:53 AM Post #20,148 of 29,490
I've been tweaking my demands a little bit and I've come to the conclusion that I will pick the K550, the Shure SRH840 or SRH940.

I hope someone can help me decide. I mostly listen to indie rock, acoustic indie folk, audiobooks and little bit dubstep. 
Some soothing music can do the trick too.

I want these headphones to be portable, because I use them everywhere.

EDIT: So you can say I like neutral sounding headphones. I have had the AKG K272HD too.

Thanks.

Oct 14, 2012 at 12:50 PM Post #20,149 of 29,490
I'm looking for a fun, comfortable, closed back full sized headphone that do not need an amp. Gonna be using them for rock and metal. Detachable cable would be nice. I prefer quality over quantity of bass. I'm not a basshead but I do like a warmer type of headphone. Good build quality too. I will be using them with my cowon z2. My budget is around $200. Any suggestions?

Oct 14, 2012 at 1:08 PM Post #20,150 of 29,490
Looking for something comfortable for use in my office.  It's private, so the cans don't have to be closed, but I'm thinking I want the deep bass because I listen to a lot of industrial/ebm/techno/synth. 

As of right now, I'm considering the DT-770 80 ohm, AKG k272, V-moda M-80, and, after reading some reviews last night, I've added the DT-880 to the pool as well.  I'd like to keep the purchase in the $150-$200 range.  The v-moda m100 sound appealing as well, but I don't want to wait, and it looks like they're going to be priced out of my range. 

Right now, I'm alternating between using Audio Technica M-35 and and Miles Davis Tribute IEMs at the office, I like the MDT, but since I'm stationary for so much of the day, I'd like the comfort and sound of some mid-range cans.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: should also mention that I have an e5 amp, and a Creative X-fi Platinum (w/front panel).  Not really looking to amp beyond that, at least in the short-term.

Oct 14, 2012 at 2:51 PM Post #20,151 of 29,490
Hey guys,
I found a few 'similar' threads, and but none really answered my question...
I'm looking for a pair of full size, and mainly to listen to : rock, and metal, and electronica.
Which would be the more appropriate for me?
The Beyerdynamic custom one pro or the ATH M50?
I really care about the sound detail and the bass/impact.
Thanks!

Bump! I would appreciate any suggestions/ recommendations on this!

Thanks!!

Oct 14, 2012 at 3:16 PM Post #20,153 of 29,490
Quote:
Bump! I would appreciate any suggestions/ recommendations on this!
Thanks!!

OK, well you have a bit of a contradiction here. You see as you add bass you typically add warmth. Now warmth is all good and fine to an extent, eventually it can kind of haze over the music and you lose detail. So you need a happy balance.

If it bass you're looking for, especially deep, subbass. You may want to look at the XB700. They're quite nice for that. They do well not to kill everything. I feel like they can cross genre decently but do best for electronic. Here, have a full review:

Now, about those mention, sorry no personal experience. However, from what I've heard the m50 is v shaped. So there's you bass but at the expense of your mids.

Oct 14, 2012 at 3:26 PM Post #20,154 of 29,490
Quote:
I have come for what I 'think' is my last headphone purchase....

confused_face.gif

Anyways, I was wondering how the V6, HM5, and M50 compare. I have the V6 I just want to sidegrade to a phone with a little less bright of a presentation than the v6 and maybe more bass. The V6 tends to come out harsh, a little grainy, and very sibilant to me. I currently own Koss TBSE (ProDJ100's) which are fine. I tried the Sennheiser Amperior yesterday at the apple store and thought it was very sibilant too! Is that weird?  Loved the bass on it though. 

As someone else described to me before, I guess I'm looking for a can with very good bass and mids, but with highs slightly recessed and not harsh at all. 

I listen to mainly electronic (Synthpop, Dance) and a tiny bit of rock.

Thank you for any suggestions/advice you have for me.

EDIT: Leaning towards a basshead can, something similar to the bass of the amperior (a little less), and very nice mids.

Shure SRH 840--mid bass hump, outstanding mids and somewhat recessed highs.

Oct 14, 2012 at 3:37 PM Post #20,155 of 29,490
Quote:
I've been tweaking my demands a little bit and I've come to the conclusion that I will pick the K550, the Shure SRH840 or SRH940.

I hope someone can help me decide. I mostly listen to indie rock, acoustic indie folk, audiobooks and little bit dubstep. 
Some soothing music can do the trick too.

I want these headphones to be portable, because I use them everywhere.

EDIT: So you can say I like neutral sounding headphones. I have had the AKG K272HD too.

Thanks.

The K 550 is not a good portable can.  The SRH 940, unlike the 840, come with a detachable straight cable (as well as colied cable).

Get the 940 for the best sound.  Go with the 840 if you want the mid bass hump.  The 940 has neutral bass at best.

Oct 14, 2012 at 3:41 PM Post #20,156 of 29,490
I´d appreciate if you guys would find me a good pair of durable headphones around 100€-150€ that can be shipped to Finland for a reasonable price. I would use them at work which is a very loud environment, so basically headphone ear muffs or whatever they are called. Additional features would be no radio as that tends to play in the background even if you have a mp3 plugged in. Atleast whit the last pair of Peltor headphones that was the case and those cost like 120€. Also the headsets cord should be detachable as that tends to break aswell.

-hearing protection ear muffs
-no radio
-detachable cord

I have wasted so much money on headphones that keep breaking all the ******* time or are just otherwise completely useless. Sound quality doesn´t have to be that good as long as there is no damn radio in the background. Thank you so much if you find a pair I´d be forever grateful!

Oct 14, 2012 at 3:48 PM Post #20,157 of 29,490
Quote:
The K 550 is not a good portable can.  The SRH 940, unlike the 840, come with a detachable straight cable (as well as colied cable).

Get the 940 for the best sound.  Go with the 840 if you want the mid bass hump.  The 940 has neutral bass at best.

Thanks!
And if you compare the 940 against the AKG K271 MKII, which would then be the best? 

Oct 14, 2012 at 4:05 PM Post #20,158 of 29,490
Quote:
I'm looking for a fun, comfortable, closed back full sized headphone that do not need an amp. Gonna be using them for rock and metal. Detachable cable would be nice. I prefer quality over quantity of bass. I'm not a basshead but I do like a warmer type of headphone. Good build quality too. I will be using them with my cowon z2. My budget is around $200. Any suggestions?

Don't know the Cowon.

Nothing really sticks out to me in your price range.  The Shure SRH 840 meets your other requirments reasonably well, but is not generally considered to be a "fun" headphone.  The House of Marley Exodus is well built, but not durable--and they have a fixed cable.  The Ultrasone HiFi 780 have strong bass, but are probably too bright for you; they have a well thought out short + long extension cable that is not otherwise removable.  The M50 puts you into basshead light territory; it suffers from recessed mids; is probably too bright for you; and has an long attached cable.  The Koss ProDJ 100 family is fun but mid-centric. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back