++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Oct 14, 2012 at 5:06 PM Post #20,161 of 29,490
Quote:
The 940 is the easy winner.

Thanks! One question more, though. How does the 940 compares to the UE6000? I am interested in those two, but don't know which to get. The UE6000 is flashier, but I do not know which sounds better for my purposes. (Which are acoustic music (indie folk, to be exact), pop, little  bit Jazz, Audiobooks...) 

Oct 14, 2012 at 5:21 PM Post #20,162 of 29,490
Quote:

Thanks! One question more, though. How does the 940 compares to the UE6000? I am interested in those two, but don't know which to get. The UE6000 is flashier, but I do not know which sounds better for my purposes. (Which are acoustic music (indie folk, to be exact), pop, little  bit Jazz, Audiobooks...) 

I have limited experience with active noise cancelling cans and have never heard that one.  As a rule, active noise cancelling cans cost a great deal and deliver poor performance within their respective price classes.

Oct 14, 2012 at 5:57 PM Post #20,163 of 29,490
I have limited experience with active noise cancelling cans and have never heard that one.  As a rule, active noise cancelling cans cost a great deal and deliver poor performance within their respective price classes.

Ok, that one is off the list then. I'm sorry to disturb you onze more, but I really want a purchase that I don't regret. What about the Philips Fidelio L1?
Thanks!

Edit: or could you post another recommendation, where comfort is quite important?

Oct 14, 2012 at 6:08 PM Post #20,164 of 29,490
I mostly listen through my PC using Itunes>pc>dragonfly>o2 amp> to my q701's, I'm just looking for a second headphone to complement them I mostly listen to rock,metal,drums and bass and indie some house I really enjoy my q701's for the soundstage , clarity also the bass on the q701 when present is crisp and refined which I enjoy. I am looking for a closed design.

my favorite bands in no order would be...
Mars Volta*
at the drive in*
Modest Mouse (Ugly Casanova)*
White Stripes
Tool ( Puscifer and a Perfect Circle)*
Metallica
Slipknot
Rage Against the Machine
The Prodigy
Panic at the Disco
Kanye West
Empire of the Sun*
Dethklok 
Daft Punk
Chevelle*
30 Seconds to Mars*
Bob Marley 
Alexisonfire
Flaming Lips*

*preferred for the headphones I'm looking for.
I'm interested in the k550 and or the mad dogs or something in that price range ! 

thank you again hope you guys listen to some of these great bands :)

Oct 14, 2012 at 6:59 PM Post #20,165 of 29,490
Quote:
Ok, that one is off the list then. I'm sorry to disturb you onze more, but I really want a purchase that I don't regret. What about the Philips Fidelio L1?
Thanks!
Edit: or could you post another recommendation, where comfort is quite important?

Never heard it, but have read that it has a colored "fun", but not not audiophile class sound signature.

In my bookk the 940 is as comfortable can as you will find that provides portable use ability.

Oct 14, 2012 at 7:01 PM Post #20,166 of 29,490
Sorry for the late responses.

Quote:
I think he is saying that based upon your genres the LCD2 may be a bit dark, though ultimately it is all personal preference

Gotcha. I guess it always comes down to actually trying them out to be sure.

Quote:
If you really want female vocals to shine, try to find a used Shure SRH940. It needs an amp, so that's good that you have that covered already. It gives unbelievable detail and is one of if not the best for female vocals in the sub $500 category.

Thanks. I will do some research on these for sure.

Quote:
Your vintage receivers should power most any dynamic can.  Don't know how they will do with planars like the LCD-2, but I wouldn't be shocked if one or both adequately pushed them too.

I'd recommend stretching your budget just a little bit (at least if you want to buy new) and get the HD 558.  It has the same drivers as the 598.

When you're able to reach the low to mid $200's many other good options fall into play. 

Budget could be stretched. It will just take a little longer to get it there though.

Quote:
That's why I suggested to look for a used one if they were ok buying used. I've seen used as low as $150 which was at the upper limit of the set budget, but you just have to be patient.

Used is fine with me.

Thanks for all the comments. Keep them coming. Still learning and researching. Any vintage recommendations to also consider?

Oct 14, 2012 at 7:31 PM Post #20,167 of 29,490
Quote:
I mostly listen through my PC using Itunes>pc>dragonfly>o2 amp> to my q701's, I'm just looking for a second headphone to complement them I mostly listen to rock,metal,drums and bass and indie some house I really enjoy my q701's for the soundstage , clarity also the bass on the q701 when present is crisp and refined which I enjoy. I am looking for a closed design.

my favorite bands in no order would be...
Mars Volta*
at the drive in*
Modest Mouse (Ugly Casanova)*
White Stripes
Tool ( Puscifer and a Perfect Circle)*
Metallica
Slipknot
Rage Against the Machine
The Prodigy
Panic at the Disco
Kanye West
Empire of the Sun*
Dethklok 
Daft Punk
Chevelle*
30 Seconds to Mars*
Bob Marley 
Alexisonfire
Flaming Lips*

*preferred for the headphones I'm looking for.
I'm interested in the k550 and or the mad dogs or something in that price range ! 

thank you again hope you guys listen to some of these great bands :)

i always found the bass on the q701 too thin and unnatural. if you want a complement, it would probably be something more fun sounding. look into the beyer 990, HE-400 or ultrasone pro 750.

Oct 14, 2012 at 7:48 PM Post #20,168 of 29,490
Quote:
i always found the bass on the q701 too thin and unnatural. if you want a complement, it would probably be something more fun sounding. look into the beyer 990, HE-400 or ultrasone pro 750.

how would u say the 990 compare to the 880 I did own the 880s for a few years so it would help me :). I honestly enjoy my q701 with my setup more then anything I've ever put on my ears. I don't think the bass sounds unnatural no offense its my opinion but I feel like the bass is where its suppose to be, but it isn't strong like you said I can agree with that. 

Oct 14, 2012 at 7:54 PM Post #20,169 of 29,490
Quote:
how would u say the 990 compare to the 880 I did own the 880s for a few years so it would help me :). I honestly enjoy my q701 with my setup more then anything I've ever put on my ears. I don't think the bass sounds unnatural no offense its my opinion but I feel like the bass is where its suppose to be, but it isn't strong like you said I can agree with that. 

I agree about the Q701.  It has a very large sound stage and expands & seperates the musical voices so that you can hear each of them.  Its nearly ethereal sound is not for those who want slam.

The 990 is a very colored "V" shaped EQ can, especially when compared with the former Beyer flagship--the DT 880, which remains an outstanding headphone that's a bit bright.  But then so is the T1.

Oct 14, 2012 at 8:00 PM Post #20,170 of 29,490
Quote:

i can only provide an indirect comparison. i've personally only listened to the t90 which is supposedly an upgrade to the dt990. it has a U shaped sound signature with slightly screechy highs and prominent bass as well. mids are a bit recessed and the soundstage is as large as the t1, but imaging is worse. the sub bass on the q701 is lacking imo, the sub bass rolls off very early and because of that, some instruments don't have the right "weight" to them.
as for how i felt the t90 compared to the dt880, it had more bass and more treble with an expanded soundstage. too bad there was too much treble. i would say the dt880 is "sparkly" while the t90 was more "screechy". instead of the flat bass of the dt880, t90 had more boomy bass.

Oct 14, 2012 at 9:51 PM Post #20,171 of 29,490
Don't know anything about headphones..definite newb..I bought the Bose AE2 thinking it would have bass and good mids/highs..considering it's Bose..yeah..anyway..

I'm looking for a set that has pretty good bass..but also doesn't drown out the vocals..I listen to majority hip-hop and r&b..artists like common, mos def, and artists from the bay area..I will be using them for about avg 6 hrs..mainly when I'm in the library studying..so a closed set I guess..don't want leakage..I want to be able to use them for long periods of time..price range no more than $300 but wife said if a set cost a little more and is worth it then go for it..I will not be hooking it up to an amp..just using it with my ipod/phone/pc ...

Oct 14, 2012 at 10:12 PM Post #20,172 of 29,490
Quote:

As KGJag has said, the Shure 940 is an amazing sounding headphone. It will show you details in the music that you have never heard before. I will however say that comfort is good, but not great. The velour ear pads are great, but maybe a tad bit shallow. The headband is only ok. It is divided into bumps so I felt it created pressure points on my head. I really like this headphone a lot and regret selling it but I just wanted to give my opinion on the comfort.

Oct 14, 2012 at 10:15 PM Post #20,173 of 29,490
Quote:
Don't know anything about headphones..definite newb..I bought the Bose AE2 thinking it would have bass and good mids/highs..considering it's Bose..yeah..anyway..

I'm looking for a set that has pretty good bass..but also doesn't drown out the vocals..I listen to majority hip-hop and r&b..artists like common, mos def, and artists from the bay area..I will be using them for about avg 6 hrs..mainly when I'm in the library studying..so a closed set I guess..don't want leakage..I want to be able to use them for long periods of time..price range no more than $300 but wife said if a set cost a little more and is worth it then go for it..I will not be hooking it up to an amp..just using it with my ipod/phone/pc ...

The new V-Moda M100 would be nice for you, from what I'm hearing. Portable folding design, detachable cable, comfortable, nice U-shaped signature with bass emphasis.

Unfortunately they're not available as of now.

Oct 14, 2012 at 10:37 PM Post #20,174 of 29,490
Quote:
xb = extra bass = greatly enhanced bass--way beyond neutral = true basshead can

I can't fathom how listening to Christian rock, contemporary and especially folk could sound anything other than horrid out of a true basshead can. Please give these genres a listen with a can that at least approaches neutral, such as the Shure SRH 440 or 840, CAL!, KRK KNS 6400 or 8400, Koss ProDJ100 family or any full sized Senn or Sony studio (not XB) can with a street price of at least $80 or so.

Thanks. I know that there are definitely cans with much better mids and highs, but I'm only getting one pair, and I'm a A basshead, I was just wondering if the mids and highs were decent at least. Also, How will the 1000s with a fiio e11 amp, fiio L9 LOD, plugged into my iPod touch 4th gen (256kbps) sound as opposed to having an extremely expensive amp and lossless files? I guess put simply, does it really matter if I have lossless and a high-end amp if my ear isn't trained? how much difference would it make? I don't even know where to get lossless files or anything. I'm very very new to this stuff if you can't tell ;P

Oct 14, 2012 at 10:40 PM Post #20,175 of 29,490
Quote:
Thanks. I know that there are definitely cans with much better mids and highs, but I'm only getting one pair, and I'm a A basshead, I was just wondering if the mids and highs were decent at least. Also, How will the 1000s with a fiio e11 amp, fiio L9 LOD, plugged into my iPod touch 4th gen (256kbps) sound as opposed to having an extremely expensive amp and lossless files? I guess put simply, does it really matter if I have lossless and a high-end amp if my ear isn't trained? how much difference would it make? I don't even know where to get lossless files or anything. I'm very very new to this stuff if you can't tell ;P

Anyone else besides that guy feel free to answer. I'd like several opinions If you'd be kind enough to give them. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back