++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Oct 11, 2012 at 1:32 PM Post #20,026 of 29,490
Quote:

can someone please give me some advice
frown.gif

can't find any shops that would let me audition the anniversary edition :frowning2:

Unfortunately the Pro700mk2 is hard to come by in the US so most people don't have experience with either, let alone both. I'd check out the basshead club to see if anyone there knows the difference.

Oct 11, 2012 at 1:47 PM Post #20,027 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi, new here..

I don't know much about audio terminology and all that.. I've always loved the world of the audiophile and I've lurked on these forums for a while before deciding to join yesterday. Mainly to get some advice on what to get my father for his birthday.

My father and I are about the same when it comes to music. I don't know much about drivers and ohms and impedance or whatever else I see on these forums (I'd love to learn but it seems so overwhelming). But I know when I listen to music that sounds good, it moves me like nothing else. I bought my first IEM, Westone UM2's back in 2002 and I've loved them ever since because they made everything sound that much better. And then I found out about things like lossless audio, amping to power IEMs and headphones.. it really intimidated me.

Anyway, I'll cut the introduction there. My dad's turning 60 this month, and in Korean culture I guess that that's a big deal. But what's more of a big deal to me is that it's my dad' birthday, and I have such a hard time finding a good gift for him. I realized that he responds to music much in the same way that I do. When I do come back home to visit, I find that he often sits in his study with really crappy headphones (often ones he gets from airplanes; I know, that's so sad) leaning back in his chair with his eyes closed listening to whatever it is that he listens to, just enjoying the music.

I want to amplify that experience for him. But I'm an old jobless college student with somewhat of a budget. I guess I can be flexible. But the world of full-sized headphones is completely foreign to me. I've never owned a pair.

This is the scenario that I'd imagine:
My father gets all of his music from his CD's which he rips onto his computer (I'm fairly certain that he does it in .mp3 format). I would go home some time this month and spend a few days ripping all of his CDs into a lossless format (probably either .aiff or .alac because he uses either his iPod or his iPad to listen to his music). Frankly, I'd buy him a DAP but I don't think I can afford one.

So if I were to give you guys parameters, would you be able to throw me some suggestions? He loves listening to classical music and Christian music (my father's a Baptist minister). I can tell you off the top of my head his endless shelves of CDs of the Three Tenors, Andrea Bocelli, (insert classical composer's name here), and even some Michael Jackson and (his guilty pleasure that he hates admitting to because he's a pastor), every single Beatles album on CD. So I guess that would sort of encompass his genres of music.

I want to get him a portable amplifier and some decent full-sized headphones. Some things to consider:
- My father often travels to preach at other churches in other states and countries. I'm not sure if open-back headphones would be good.
- But considering the type of music that he listens to, would open-back headphones be better suited for him?
- If so, I don't mind going with open-back headphones and telling him that he can't really use it in public lest he annoy people.
- Because of my budget, I'm coming into this with the Fiio E11 already in mind. I know there are a ton of other better amplifiers, but Fiio's got my number when it comes to pricing. BUT! He is my dad.. so if anyone can reasonably suggest a significantly better amping alternative for a figure that's not far off, then I'm all ears. I don't really know much about amps to be honest.
- I'm sure you guys want a price budget for the headphones, but to be honest I don't know because my financial situation fluctuates almost daily. From what I've seen on these forums for the past couple of hours, it seems that the Beyer DT770 and the Beyer DT880's are popular choices, along with the AKG K701/2, and those are all in the 200-250 range, which I can afford (with the amplifier). So i guess my overall budget is approximately $300-350. 

But I'll hand it over to you guys. I didn't even know what the difference was between a Beyer DT770 80 ohm and a 250 ohm.. because I didn't know what an ohm was, or what it signified. I had to look it up...

In any case, what I want is when I come home, to see my father sitting or reclining or laying down or whatever with some full-sized cans that are spilling wonderful and beautiful music into his ears, and I want him to really be able to experience and enjoy good sound made possible through better equipment. Thank you guys in advance.

Sincerely,
John the Peeg

(oh and by the way, I mentioned earlier that I'm not too familiar with audio jargon, so try to dumb it down for me haha)

I'm about your dad's age.  The best cans for him, or at least the "him" you described is likely to be on of the former flagships/improved former flagships: AKG Q701, Beyer DT 880 (+/- Pro), Senn HD 600 or 650.  All of these are open or semi-open and all will need an amp (unless your dad has a sound card that covers this).  You might want to check the appreciation thread for each you are considering for the best pairing.  You may want to get one with a built in dac, depending on the quality of your dad's sound card, etc.

Generally good amps include the portable Total Airhead, currently on sale (at least in the US) for $49:

http://www.headphone.com/headphone-amps/amplifiers/headroom-total-airhead.php

HiFiMan EF2A desktop amp with dac.

If you have to go to a closed can, the Shure SRH 940 is a good choice (needs amp), as is the recently discontinued Denon D5000 (or D7000)--if you can find them at a reasonable price.

If budget is a significant issue, the easy to drive open Audio Technica ATH-AD900 is a very good can.

Oct 11, 2012 at 2:15 PM Post #20,028 of 29,490
Quote:
Eqing a balanced can defeats the whole purpose of buying it.

lol you assume that I always eq it, I use it 100% neutral for listening to Sound Tracks, and instrumentals which is wonderful BUT when I decide I want to listen to some Dub Step in stead of switching to my fun cans I can EQ them, so a neutral can eq's very nicely but obviosuly I use them netrual 90% of the time lol but taht 10% I want some fun bass it's avalible!

Oct 11, 2012 at 2:40 PM Post #20,029 of 29,490
Quote:
Any one can  recommend me a pair of closed back headphones which are transportable and has enough impedance to avoid the bass roll off of my J3?
I am going to use the headphones for daily commute from home to work.

My music currently on the J3 are from the following artists and bands:

Bon Jovi
Scorpion
Police
The Beatles
The Corrs
The Cranberries
The Carpenters
Michael Jackson
Jimi Hendrix
Eric Clapton
Queen
Elvis Presley.

And I currently have a list of headphones that I already have in my sig, but I was informed the HFI-780 that I have doesn't have enough impedance to avoid the bass roll off.

My budget would be below 350USD.
Thanks for any help!

smily_headphones1.gif

The J3 I know about is a $20 ear bud.  From that I assume/guess you are suing a low power portable device and play standard MP3's.  And I have never before heard what you have said about the HIFi 780, which is a very efficient can.  In fact I'm not sure I know what it means.

Most portable devices will push the KRK KNS 8400 (more neutral) and Shure SRH 840 (mid bass hump).  Pending more information about what will be powering these new cans and the format of you music, those cans--that come in at less than half your budget on the US street--would be the places to start.

Oct 11, 2012 at 2:45 PM Post #20,030 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi all. I just recently decided to get a new pair of headphones, when I stumbled across this site and the wonderful reviews. Instead of trying to comb through all the models to find one that fits my needs, I figure asking you fine folks to delve into your combined wisdom may be the faster course.

I'm looking for a set of headphones that I can wear in the office listening to music so I don't have to listen to the drama that happens around me fairly often. Isolation would be one of my highest priorities, along with lack of leakage (I don't want to bother other people in my quest not to be bothered).  I'm thinking that an over-ear set would be more suitable to my needs than on-ear, plus would help reduce fatigue (I wear glasses). My music source would be an iPod/tablet, and I mostly listen to more pop-style music, with the occasional rockish track and theater musical soundtrack.

I'm hoping to spend between US$100-150, though from my perusals of the site it seems the kind of feature set I'm looking for will generally cost more than that.

Can anyone help? Many thanks!

I'd go with the KRK KNS 8400.  If you want a mid-bass hump but still neutral-ish, the Shure SRH 840 is a good choice.

Oct 11, 2012 at 3:07 PM Post #20,031 of 29,490
Quote:
Anyone know of some sort of fun sounding and durable portables that I can get for under 150$?

I'd start here and see what the price is in/to Canada for those you like:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/433318/shootout-104-portable-headphones-reviewed-klipsch-image-one-added-10-02-12#post_5828504

Oct 11, 2012 at 3:12 PM Post #20,032 of 29,490
Hello, I am looking for a pair of portable headphones. Currently I own the DT880 and I love them, I prefer brighter and analytical sound. I want headphones that I can use while travelling and doing some sport so they should isolate sound very well and they should press against my head sufficiently. Wire or wireless, I don't care. I will be using it with my smartphone. Price range between 150$ and 300$. Preferably cans.

Oct 11, 2012 at 3:35 PM Post #20,034 of 29,490
Quote:
I'm looking for some transportable (somewhat portable? I'll wear HD280s around in public) cans around $100-150, ordering from in the US. I've been recommended so far the M50s (and the LE, since people argue whether or not they ended up sounding different), the AKG K271s, and the NVX XPT100 (a Yoga/Fischer/Brainwavz HMS clone). I already possess a FiiO E6, and would like whatever I get to be at least somewhat compatible with it, preferring not to upgrade.

I like detail, instrument separation, isolation, and as a gamer probably want a decent soundstage, though I understand this combination is hard, especially in my price range. Most of my music is House, Trance, and other Electronic genres, as well as Rock, but I do dabble in some pop and orchestral musics. I previously owned pairs of Ety MC5s, but they have a tendency to vanish on me due to their size as IEMs.

These will be my first real cans, discounting the IEMs. Thanks in advance, guys.

Ultrasone HiFi 780.

Oct 11, 2012 at 3:36 PM Post #20,035 of 29,490
Hello everyone! I am new on head fi and I have a problem with deciding which headphones to buy as my first expensive headphones :D (expensive to me at least)  Headphones which I'm interested in atm are the sennheiser HD 439 because of the replacement cable and sennheiser RS 160 because they are wireless (i love to lay down and move around the house while listening to music). Headphones will mostly be used for music listening and movies watching. I don't own amp or any equipment of that kind but maybe one day when I get a real job I will be able to purchase them :) Please help me decide ! Thanks !

Oct 11, 2012 at 3:39 PM Post #20,036 of 29,490
Quote:
The J3 I know about is a $20 ear bud.  From that I assume/guess you are suing a low power portable device and play standard MP3's.  And I have never before heard what you have said about the HIFi 780, which is a very efficient can.  In fact I'm not sure I know what it means.

Most portable devices will push the KRK KNS 8400 (more neutral) and Shure SRH 840 (mid bass hump).  Pending more information about what will be powering these new cans and the format of you music, those cans--that come in at less than half your budget on the US street--would be the places to start.

Oh, the J3 I'm referring to is the Cowon J3 DAP, sorry for not specifying as I thought most people here would've heard about it.
And all the music that I have are FLACs endocded in 44.1khz/16bit.

Because the Cowon J3 has a bass roll off which is supposedly quite noticeable on lower impedance cans. I am enquiring if there's any transportable closed back headphone that has enough impedance to stave off the bass roll off issue.

Thanks for any help again. 
beyersmile.png

Oct 11, 2012 at 3:42 PM Post #20,037 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello, I am looking for a pair of portable headphones. Currently I own the DT880 and I love them, I prefer brighter and analytical sound. I want headphones that I can use while travelling and doing some sport so they should isolate sound very well and they should press against my head sufficiently. Wire or wireless, I don't care. I will be using it with my smartphone. Price range between 150$ and 300$. Preferably cans.

The Beyer DT 1350 seems like a great fit.

Oct 11, 2012 at 3:58 PM Post #20,038 of 29,490
Quote:

Oh, the J3 I'm referring to is the Cowon J3 DAP, sorry for not specifying as I thought most people here would've heard about it.
And all the music that I have are FLACs endocded in 44.1khz/16bit.

Because the Cowon J3 has a bass roll off which is supposedly quite noticeable on lower impedance cans. I am enquiring if there's any transportable closed back headphone that has enough impedance to stave off the bass roll off issue.

Thanks for any help again. 
beyersmile.png

Do you have enough power to adequately push the less efficient Ultrasone Pro 750?

If you don't get a complete answer here, you might do better in the Dedicated Source Component section of the forum.  What you need is other folks who own and know the Cowon J3.

Oct 11, 2012 at 4:22 PM Post #20,040 of 29,490
Quote:
Just a name? No reasoning or explanation, or discussion of suggestions made for me? I'm fairly interested in finding rather neutral headphones, and I'm not sure that's what I'm looking for.

The HFI 780 will not be neutral, but it seems to be a good fit based upon everything else you asked for. It has nice bass, but not so much that it overs powers the other frequencies. Also, your primary genres are electronic, and Ultrasones are considered one of the better brands for that music genre. They also have S-logic which gives tries to give the sound a 3D sense, which will probably give you the best soundstage for a closed can in your price range. If you are seriously considering the M50, the HF 780 is a similar sound signature, but more balanced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back