++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Oct 10, 2012 at 7:45 PM Post #19,981 of 29,490
Quote:
I don't think it's the neck. I've always found the LCD-2 to be quite uncomfortable on my head, and similarly with the HE-500. They literally feel like lead weights along my head (similar to the x-ray apron that you wear when getting an x-ray of your teeth at the dentist office).

^ Snuggie version 2?
The Stax SR-007 at ~365 g is still pretty heavy too IMO.

Seriosuly lol I've got a pair of Cans from the 60's that weigh 3
6 lbs... like a boss

Oct 10, 2012 at 9:09 PM Post #19,982 of 29,490
Ended up ordering a pair of MS1's; looking forward to digging up some Rock to listen to :)

-w0m

Oct 10, 2012 at 10:17 PM Post #19,983 of 29,490
Quote:

You didn't actually give any reasoning for why you feel the 650's are inadequate.
Grados honestly look uncomfortable to me, and I doubt i could wear them for a full day every day.
Comfort is honestly my main concern with the LCD2's, and you didn't mention that at all.

Apologize me for not telling you about the comfort, the LCD2 is pretty heavy for me but due to a small size ear's so i find it comfortable for 2-3 hours of using it, in the other hand the HE500 is lighter than the LCD2 and it comes with velour pads which i find it very comfortable just like my beyer dt880, i can wear the HE500 for about 6-8 hours a day without feeling fatigue

the HD650 is among of the best sounding headphone but i find it to slow to keep up with pacey music, HD650 have a great midrange but once you play metal music on it you will realize that HD650 is not for metal music due it's slow bass though i find the HD650 is great for jazz, one more thing about HD650 it kinda picky when it comes to source and amp

Oct 10, 2012 at 10:40 PM Post #19,984 of 29,490
Hey guys, I'm looking for a good set of open phones for downtempo, electronica, dark alt rock.  Heres a few artists i like...  rjd2, Bluetech, the cinematic orchestra, booka shade, beats antique, radiohead, pink floyd.  I'm currently usng some SRH840s and i really enjoy them, but they are heavy, the sound feels cramped and I would more bass extension and deptth. They do my midrange music right but Beats Antique and Bluetech sound a little incomplete on the 840's.  My budgets is $200 and the phones would ideally not NEED amplification but would be complimented by them as I am looking to get the schiit asgard and a Fiio in the near future.  These are phones I'll be using at home.  My source is flac track coming from a clip+

TL;DR - looking for $200 open phones with generous bass depth and extension w/o sacrificing too much (in this case mids are more important than highs) to be used with a sanza clip+ and amped at a later date.  thanks fellas

Oct 10, 2012 at 11:22 PM Post #19,985 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey guys, I'm looking for a good set of open phones for downtempo, electronica, dark alt rock.  Heres a few artists i like...  rjd2, Bluetech, the cinematic orchestra, booka shade, beats antique, radiohead, pink floyd.  I'm currently usng some SRH840s and i really enjoy them, but they are heavy, the sound feels cramped and I would more bass extension and deptth. They do my midrange music right but Beats Antique and Bluetech sound a little incomplete on the 840's.  My budgets is $200 and the phones would ideally not NEED amplification but would be complimented by them as I am looking to get the schiit asgard and a Fiio in the near future.  These are phones I'll be using at home.  My source is flac track coming from a clip+

TL;DR - looking for $200 open phones with generous bass depth and extension w/o sacrificing too much (in this case mids are more important than highs) to be used with a sanza clip+ and amped at a later date.  thanks fellas

of that price range, i think the dt880 has the best bass extension and the mids are smooth and not overemphasized, one thing is that it is a bit bright (3db peak at 9khz). i personally find them to be good at every genre i listen to because they're pretty balanced.

Oct 10, 2012 at 11:35 PM Post #19,987 of 29,490
I did post my own thread, sorry for that i did not see this one. anyway here are the contents of mine (can be deleted if somebody able to do so sees this)

Currently i am looking for a setup to listen to music on my PC, i mostly listen to rock, rap, metal, etc, would also be using them for playing games.

currently i am thinking of buying the following
Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO ($172.50 on amazon)
Indeed MK 2 Headphone amp ($75.99 on ebay)
DAC Destroyer USB DAC ($80 on ebay)

Also take into consideration that i will be using these for long periods of time, so comfort is very important to me.
Portability on the other hand is not very important to me, as it will stay mostly set up on my desk with my desktop pc.

this totals to around $330, and my target price was in the $350 range so works out pretty well.
but if anybody has recommendations on anything that may be better for a similar price i'd be very interested :)
Thanks for any recommendations in advance!

Oct 10, 2012 at 11:50 PM Post #19,989 of 29,490
Quote:
I did post my own thread, sorry for that i did not see this one. anyway here are the contents of mine (can be deleted if somebody able to do so sees this)

Currently i am looking for a setup to listen to music on my PC, i mostly listen to rock, rap, metal, etc, would also be using them for playing games.

currently i am thinking of buying the following
Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO ($172.50 on amazon)
Indeed MK 2 Headphone amp ($75.99 on ebay)
DAC Destroyer USB DAC ($80 on ebay)

Also take into consideration that i will be using these for long periods of time, so comfort is very important to me.
Portability on the other hand is not very important to me, as it will stay mostly set up on my desk with my desktop pc.

this totals to around $330, and my target price was in the $350 range so works out pretty well.
but if anybody has recommendations on anything that may be better for a similar price i'd be very interested :)
Thanks for any recommendations in advance!

audition the dt880 and dt990 for yourchoice of genres, i think those are your premier options for headphones though the dt880 will be approximately 60$ more expensive new.

Oct 10, 2012 at 11:54 PM Post #19,990 of 29,490
Quote:

Thanks for your help

PS : Also thanks to the other post, The akg q701 definitely seem interesting but cost 290 € and thats at least 100 € outside of my price range

In your price range, I can't think of a bass heavy open can except the Beyer DT 990.  The closed option would be the DT 770.

You won't like the Q701 as it is, at best, bass neutral.

Oct 10, 2012 at 11:57 PM Post #19,991 of 29,490
Quote:
audition the dt880 and dt990 for yourchoice of genres, i think those are your premier options for headphones though the dt880 will be approximately 60$ more expensive new.

My understanding is that the 990's have slightly stronger bass, which was my main reasoning for choosing them over the 880's as i do love strong bass (but hopefully not super "pounding" bass) but thanks i will go to guitar center and try out both pairs.

Oct 11, 2012 at 12:02 AM Post #19,992 of 29,490
Quote:
I'm new to headphones and was looking for a pair with punchy bass, good highs, and good depth for around 200 or less dollars. I don't mind if the set up involves getting equipment that will exceed 200 (I'm expecting it to). I just want the headphones to be $200 or so. I was thinking of getting the Beyerdynamic DT770 80 ohms, but have heard somewhere that the bass was a bit loose. Are these a good pair of headphone for me? any suggestions of a more suitable pair with punchy bass and good highs with depth?

A few months ago the now discontinued D2000 would have been your best choice.  You might want to look for a good used pair here or elsewhere.

If by depth you mean sound stage, the D2000 is also at least OK.  Getting a deep sound stage from a closed can in this this price range is a rare thing.

Oct 11, 2012 at 12:10 AM Post #19,993 of 29,490
Quote:
i got some awesome advice last time i posted, but i've changed direction so i'll try again and hope for the same!  my beloved senn HD500's are dead (rattling driver)...

my CFO (i.e. wife) has nixed ultra high end phones and an amp, so what i'd like to do is get the best cans i can drive PROPERLY with my fiio E17.  would prefer open, budget is a non issue provided my E17 can PROPERLY drive them!

this was posted previously, so i'll repost it and put my own thoughts in, hope it helps and gets me a good set of recs!  Thanks for everyone's time

[size=medium]Are you OK with open cans (they leak sound but tend to have much bigger/better sound stages)? Yes i prefer open ones .[/size]

[size=medium]What equipment will be powering these cans?  Will you be using an amp? fiio E17, as a DAC on my computer/laptop (FLAC) and with my ipod (mp3)[/size]

[size=medium]What is the format of your music and other sounds you will putting into these cans?[/size] mostly 320 kbps mp3, with an increasing number of FLAC

[size=medium]Describe the sound signature that you are seeking?[/size] detailed, open stage...not overly warm preferably (i.e. i prefer the sound of my AT50 vs. the Senn house sound,
minus the claustrophobic soundstage on the AT50's) and the emphasis is on detail, good bass response is a plus.  i find my AT50's quite neutral (especially
after taking the treble spike off with the E17) which i like.  the Senns are beautiful but better for acoustic/mellow sets.

[size=medium]If you don't know your preferred sound signature (and even if you do), what genres of music do you plan to run through these cans?[/size] I plan on listening to mostly metal, hiphop, electronic, post rock, etc. (not much classical or jazz, only here and there)

[size=medium]Do you plan to use them outside your home?  If so, in what way & with what equipment? No , only at home.[/size]

You refer to the AT50.  Do you mean the Audio Technica ATH-M50 or some other can? 

Oct 11, 2012 at 12:28 AM Post #19,994 of 29,490
Quote:
You refer to the AT50.  Do you mean the Audio Technica ATH-M50 or some other can? 

whoops, ATHM50, my bad and thanks

i should add that i'm not new to headphones, just getting into them more as i can't listen to my stereo much anymore (2x15"+2x10" seems to bother the family)

honestly i'm likely to pull the trigger on some HE400's for now as i'm completely obsessed with owning some planars after demoing the LCD2, but recommendations are very appreciated!  with the saved $ over the HE500's/LCD2's i can get into an asgard / lyr / similar and future proof my setup quickly!

Oct 11, 2012 at 1:01 AM Post #19,995 of 29,490
Im sure most people who post here say this but I am new to headphones and hq audio in general. I have a few flac files but thats about it.
I am looking for a set of closed headphones I would like to stay under 150 bucks.

I looked at a few of the into guides and picked up some MEElectronic a151 ear buds, forgive me if I get some of these terms mixed up. They sound great. I think they have some real clear sound and after the break in period they fit me pretty well although I feel they are a little to high at times with almost no lows. They do lack bass, I picked these up because I didn't really know what to expect I've seen some headphones listed as bass heavy and I didn't want to have nothing but bass, Ive tried beats and I really think they stink, I like to hear the lyrics. I'm use to the 10-20 dollar things you pick up at walgreens so I am sure a lot of things will sound good.

So I was hoping to get a few Ideas of what to look for. I like the sound quality of the a151's but I want more bass then they have. I would like something with a decent sound stage and a decent seal. it would be nice if it would fit in my backpack as well but its not really important. I don't plan on using an amp with it although I do have a cmoy I like to carry around sometimes. Oh and I am not that gentle with my headphones.

My short list at the moment is here. Anything outside of this list is more then welcomed.
mdr-v6
hd668b
se-mj5
dn-hp700

I listen to a wide range of music. Recently its been some pop, punk, drum and bass, break beat, country, and more.
Thank you guys in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back