++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Oct 2, 2012 at 2:28 PM Post #19,636 of 29,490
Its been about a year now since I've owned the ATH-M50s. Now, I want to make my next upgrade. My budget is probably about 300. I've had my eyes on the ATH-a900x for quite some time now. I mostly listen to music on my desktop using an ASUS Xonar DG soundcard.

Oct 2, 2012 at 3:07 PM Post #19,637 of 29,490
I'm looking for closed & neutral headphones that are sufficiently comfortable for 10-14 hours of use per day
I'm hard-pressed to go higher than $160, but would enjoy seeing at least some options closer to 80-140

I listen almost exclusively to many varieties of electronic and instrumental music (including chiptunes and electro-house... and chiptune-electro-house)

I'm also an avid gamer and work in game design, and participate in music composition and sound effects (particularly 8-16 bit game sound effects)

I've checked out some guides and have a small list, but they tend to use language (like sparkly treble) that I have little idea how to interpret into what I'm looking for.

Thanks for reading

Oct 2, 2012 at 3:14 PM Post #19,638 of 29,490
Quote:
Its been about a year now since I've owned the ATH-M50s. Now, I want to make my next upgrade. My budget is probably about 300. I've had my eyes on the ATH-a900x for quite some time now. I mostly listen to music on my desktop using an ASUS Xonar DG soundcard.

What did you like about the M50 and what makes you want to upgrade?
What will they be used for (gaming, movies, music, portable)?
What genres of music do you listen to primarily?
Are you ok with open cans or do you only want closed?
Any preferred sound signature (Emphasis on any particular part of the sound spectrum)?

Oct 2, 2012 at 3:24 PM Post #19,639 of 29,490
I'm looking for open headphones that are sufficiently comfortable for 10-14 hours of use per day
I'm hard-pressed to go higher than $160, but would enjoy seeing at least some options closer to 80-140

I listen almost exclusively to many varieties of electronic and instrumental music (including chiptunes and electro-house... and chiptune-electro-house)

I'm also an avid gamer and work in game design, and participate in music composition and sound effects (particularly 8-16 bit game sound effects)

I've checked out some guides and have a small list, but they tend to use language (like sparkly treble) that I have little idea how to interpret into what I'm looking for.

I suppose I really don't need heavy heavy bass.

Thanks for reading

Are you using these on the move or in one spot? 14 hours a day that is a LONG time.

Oct 2, 2012 at 3:24 PM Post #19,640 of 29,490
Quote:
I'm looking for open headphones that are sufficiently comfortable for 10-14 hours of use per day

I suppose I really don't need heavy heavy bass.

Thanks for reading

First off, probably every open phone in this price range will be bass light or bass neutral, so make sure that you are ok with lighter bass.

If you are ok buying used, the HD558 would be a good choice

Oct 2, 2012 at 3:45 PM Post #19,641 of 29,490
Quote:
Are you using these on the move or in one spot? 14 hours a day that is a LONG time.

My hobby, self-education, and career are all on my computer. Granted I take many breaks to walk around and do household and relationship stuff.

First off, probably every open phone in this price range will be bass light or bass neutral, so make sure that you are ok with lighter bass.

I suppose I'll aim for neutral.

Oct 2, 2012 at 3:56 PM Post #19,642 of 29,490
Hello there, 
I'm ready to buy a new set of cans but I don't know which to get, either the ULTRASONE PRO 900 or BEYERDYNAMIC DT990 PRO. Considering the current price difference (from B&H) I've decided that if i get the dt990pro I would get a Little Dot mk2 to complement my Fiio e17 since the beyers have a higher impedence. I know this isn't the thread to comment on amplification but I want to know which to buy from a purely headphone point of view.
I listen to mostly heavy metal, dub, female vocalists, a little classical, and hip-hop.

Oct 2, 2012 at 4:09 PM Post #19,643 of 29,490

My hobby, self-education, and career are all on my computer. Granted I take many breaks to walk around and do household and relationship stuff.

I suppose I'll aim for neutral.

I agree with hipster. The 558 is not bass heavy and it is relatively lightweight and has velour pads which is what you need for super long listening sessions.

Here pick em up refurbished here. Use coupon "facebook" to get an additional 5% off. It's come out to about $119 plus free shipping. Cant beat that. I recommend VM a lot because they treated me well on a refurb purchase and it was as good as new.

http://www.vminnovations.com/Product_20035/Sennheiser-HD558-Around-the-Ear-Audiophile-Headphones-Refurbished-.html

Oct 2, 2012 at 4:30 PM Post #19,644 of 29,490
Quote:
I agree with hipster. The 558 is not bass heavy and it is relatively lightweight and has velour pads which is what you need for super long listening sessions.
Here pick em up refurbished here. Use coupon "facebook" to get an additional 5% off. It's come out to about $119 plus free shipping. Cant beat that. I recommend VM a lot because they treated me well on a refurb purchase and it was as good as new.
http://www.vminnovations.com/Product_20035/Sennheiser-HD558-Around-the-Ear-Audiophile-Headphones-Refurbished-.html

Or like-new from Dahmart (Dakmart) for $106.49
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B004FEEY9A/ref=sr_1_1_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1349209805&sr=8-1&keywords=hd558&condition=used

Oct 2, 2012 at 6:58 PM Post #19,645 of 29,490
Hello!
I'm looking for a pair of headphones to be driven by an Ibasso DX100. What I'd like is a pair of open headphones that are an improvement over my ATH-M50. I listen to all kinds of music so it would have to be a nice all round performer in this aspect. Also my budget would be 500 USD tops.
Please let me know if I can help you help me any further!
Tanks

Oct 2, 2012 at 8:40 PM Post #19,646 of 29,490
Quote:
I'm looking for CLOSED & NEUTRAL headphones that are sufficiently comfortable for 10-14 hours of use per day

I suppose I really don't need heavy heavy bass. I'm not sure what should be emphasized.

Thanks for reading

I need to revise this. I asked for open, but I've decided I need CLOSED headphones. I didn't think things through as well as I thought. I forgot about the parts where I don't want to hear my girlfriend on the computer behind me.

I doubt I'll hear her when sound is playing, but I won't always have sound going. I don't need complete isolation, just very muffled.

I also decided I want them to be neutral

Oct 2, 2012 at 8:51 PM Post #19,647 of 29,490
inexpensive... and expansive sound for a closed can...the akg271Mk2.
very light on the head, toss around can :p

http://www.amazon.com/AKG-K-271-MK-II/dp/B0016MOC28/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1349225402&sr=8-1&keywords=akg+271+mkii

Oct 2, 2012 at 9:31 PM Post #19,648 of 29,490
What are the differences between the Mad Dog's by Mr. Speakers and the LFF Paradox?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back