++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Sep 29, 2012 at 9:32 AM Post #19,531 of 29,490
Okay, here's my current situation I'm looking for help with. 

What I need is a pair of very nice cans that I can preferably amplify and use with computer as well as on the go. Looks are a plus but I won't not buy a pair of amazing head phones because of looks alone. I primarily listen to Electronica genres as well as some rock and occasionally rap. I really need a head phone that has solid bass, I don't want to be left asking for more. 

One feature I'm extremely fond of about my current set up is that my UE TF 10s Isolate my sound so well. When I'm in a public place I really like how nobody else around me can hear me blasting my music. Is it possible to get those sort of effect with over ear cans? If not, just ignore this paragraph. 

Currently my travel setup is just a pair of UE TF 10s which was my first step into the >$50 audio market. Now that I've had a taste for what good quality sounds like (I never even amped them), I really am looking to dish out for even better sound. 

Being a noob I have zero idea what amps are good, if I can even have a nice portable setup still usable with a computer and sound good, ect. So I've come here asking for help. 

I was looking at stuff like the HD 650s but I'm pretty lost. I have money and I want something that will blow my TF 10s out of the water :)

Any help is appreciated

Sep 29, 2012 at 9:42 AM Post #19,532 of 29,490
Hi there,
I was thinking about telling a whole story of what I exactly want/need, but Ill keep it simple.  Im very sorry about my wallet, but I have to keep the price below $120. :)
It will be used inside only, 90% of the time with a Pioneer HiFi amp and 10% with the Sansa Clip+.
I use both Sennheiser HD 205 and 205 II, and while I love the bass of the IIs, I too love the clarity of the original 205s. 
I understood the original 205s are more studio headphones (more flat fr) while the IIs are more for DJ'ing on stage (the extra bass helps you cueing up the tracks). 

I mainly listen to Bob Dylan and Leonard Cohen (folk), Michael Jackson, Phil Collins and lots of classical music (Mozart, Vivaldi and Beethoven). 
Im using CDs or FLACs only, and Id love to have a nice soundstage, but nothing especially great or impossible. 
What I like is a neutral sound (how the artist wanted the music to sound), but a small emphasis on the bass could be prefered with e.g. Phil Collins, as long as it doesnt ruin the vocals (which the HD 205 II does). 
While I love some extra bass, I have to tell you that on my amp I use no equalizer except that the tweeters on the speakers themselves are at +3 instead of at 0. This makes the voice of Bob Dylan to be more ''free'' sounding.  
A detachable cable to be sure that I am able to use it for a long time is very preferred.

Okay, it's all not too easy. To make it easier; Im a Sennheiser fanboy, and because I know a bit of them, I found the HD 518 to be quite fitting my needs.
I am not going to upgrade in a long time from them though, so it has to be one of the best I could get. BUT, the HD 518 is directly the most expensive I could afford. 

So what I'd like to know from you, audiophiles and experts: is the HD 518 among the best I could get for that amount of money? Is it truely in the audiophile territory? If needed (I understood it's quite dark sounding), can I eq it to sound different? 

Is there perhaps a (much) better headphone in my budget that's right for me? I thought about the HD 215, but Im not too sure about them.

Oh, and btw: I am (going to be) an audiophile, just one on a very small budget (hence the Sansa Clip +)!

Thanks for reading!

Sep 29, 2012 at 10:08 AM Post #19,533 of 29,490
Guys, I need some advice here.I decided to go for some cheap over the ear headphones for daily travel use (going to college/work, metro, etc.), preferably something not so big ~ less than 50 bucks... you know, something portable with good sound to use with my ipod (all my music is in ALAC). So far the Sen HD201, JVC HAS700 and the Mono8323 seem like pretty good options, but I'm not quite sure wich of the three sound better. Any other recommendations?

Sep 29, 2012 at 10:20 AM Post #19,534 of 29,490
Hey guys! I am currently looking to upgrade my portable music experience. I have about $600ish dollars saved up for an over-ear headphones, portable amp, and possibly DAC, if I need one.

I usually listen on either my iPhone or iPod Touch on long bus rides. My musical sense is usually around Alternative/Indie types.

Any advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Sep 29, 2012 at 10:34 AM Post #19,535 of 29,490
Let's keep it simple

Would anyone happen to know if there are any off-the-shelf cans that offer the same kind of bass as you'd find in a pair of Darth Beyers?

I've failed to salvage mine after patching them up late last year. Rather than looking to buying replacement cables and trying again (and possibly failing) or buying a replacement pair, I wanted to know if there is another option.

I want to make clear, teh priority is the bass. deep, deep, slamming kind of loudspeaker bass.

thanks in advance.

nvm, i fixed them again

thanks for all the useful replies, this thread is great.

Sep 29, 2012 at 10:42 AM Post #19,536 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey guys! I am currently looking to upgrade my portable music experience. I have about $600ish dollars saved up for an over-ear headphones, portable amp, and possibly DAC, if I need one.
I usually listen on either my iPhone or iPod Touch on long bus rides. My musical sense is usually around Alternative/Indie types.
Any advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

It's $150 for a DAC that works with iPod & iPhone and it's not really a portable DAC.
Fiio E11 ($65) with a Fiio L cable ($8) is a good setup for use with iPod/iPhone.
Headphones like the Denon AH-D2000 or AKG K550 do not really need an amplifier to work well with the iPod/iPhone.

Sep 29, 2012 at 10:43 AM Post #19,537 of 29,490
Hey guys, I'm new and I'm looking for some good over-ear headphones for listening to music. I listen to dubstep, rap, classic rock, pretty much anything. I really like the headphones with good bass, but not too overwhelming. Also, I want something that can isolate/cancel out sound pretty well all for no more than $150. Thanks! Oh yeah, I don't really want to buy them off the internet, I want to be able to go to a store and find them.

Sep 29, 2012 at 11:06 AM Post #19,538 of 29,490
Quote:
What source(s) do you plug the MDR-V6s and HA-S500s into?
Heard anything on replacing the HA-S500 ear pads for Senn HD 25 Velour ear pads?

Last night I used the Xonar STX for the comparison. I've also used them both independently with my Clip+. 

I did order some of the ATH velour pads to try with the S500s, but I haven't gotten them yet. And I've been using the Beyer pleather pads on my V6's (which are about a dozen years old). 

Sep 29, 2012 at 11:33 AM Post #19,539 of 29,490
Quote:

Last night I used the Xonar STX for the comparison. I've also used them both independently with my Clip+. 

I did order some of the ATH velour pads to try with the S500s, but I haven't gotten them yet. And I've been using the Beyer pleather pads on my V6's (which are about a dozen years old). 

I use Beyer EDT 200/250 V Velour ear pads on my MDR-V6 :)
"ATH velour pads" any chance the model # on these "ATH" Velour ear pads?

Sep 29, 2012 at 11:45 AM Post #19,540 of 29,490
Sep 29, 2012 at 11:57 AM Post #19,541 of 29,490
Sep 29, 2012 at 12:01 PM Post #19,542 of 29,490
Quote:
You ordered Velvet ear pads, not Velour.
But the price is right, so I might order the same if I get the HA-S500 or HA-S400.

It's one of the ones that the S500 thread was calling Velour and recommended, so I didn't know any different 
smile.gif

Sep 29, 2012 at 12:36 PM Post #19,543 of 29,490
the regular pleather HD25 earpads are amazing on the S500. Especially if you want to preserve the bass impact. The hole on the HD25 pad is slightly smaller than the stock and somehow this brings forward the mids on an otherwise V shaped portable headphone. you end up with a much more balanced sound with good bass impact. I finally got another guy to try these pads on the s500 thread 2 days ago and he agrees they are superior to the velour in sound.

They are 12 bucks at B&H. The Sennheiser HD25 pads also increase comfort over the stock pads.

Sep 29, 2012 at 12:45 PM Post #19,544 of 29,490
Quote:

Hello everyone, first time poster here.

My Audio Technicas (ANC7b) are starting to go on me, so in anticipation of the upcoming holiday season I'm looking for a new set of cans. Based on some reasearch I'm currently wavering between two, the ATH-M50s and the HFI-780s. Here's some information about me that'll be helpful. 

Budget: $150 (can't go over by much, maybe ~$10 or so)
Music Genres: Primarily rock/metal and dubstep/trance/electronic
Sources: Primarily V1/V0 MP3's through my iPod and laptop
Stye: Preferably some kind of Black or silver, although I'm not totally averse to other colors.
Listening locations: A mix of school/home, so minimal leakage is relatively important. 

Any suggestions/reccommendatons are more than welcome

Thank you!

Tavel

Originally Posted by veyrongatti /img/forum/go_quote.gif

ATH ES7? 

They certainly do look nice and the few reviews I can find seem solid, but I can't seem to find out too much else about them. Happen to have any more info/personal experience? I'm also looking for over-ears, which I can't seem to tell whether or not those are or not. 

Sep 29, 2012 at 12:58 PM Post #19,545 of 29,490
Quote:

It's one of the ones that the S500 thread was calling Velour and recommended, so I didn't know any different 
smile.gif

Velvet is stitch, Velour is knitted, but they can both use the same materials
I did not know the difference until about an hour ago myself (Wikipedia)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back