++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Sep 29, 2012 at 1:01 PM Post #19,546 of 29,490
Got my DT 770 80 ohms with FiiO E11 and just loved them. But there is an interesting issue - some songs bass is just ridicilous without any bass boost from the amp. Is there something worng with those songs or what? they are mp3 format with 256-320btz. Any thoughts?

Sep 29, 2012 at 1:32 PM Post #19,547 of 29,490
Looking for some open headphones around $200.  I prioritize soundstage and neutrality.  I currently have no amp, but that may be a future purchase.  I like lots of music, but mostly classical and indie-rock.  The headphones I have been looking at are the Sennheiser HD 558, the 598s, the AKG 701.  I've decided against the Audio Technica AD900 because of the headband.  Any other appropriate headphones in this range?  Or is there a preference between the ones I listed?  

Sep 29, 2012 at 1:38 PM Post #19,548 of 29,490
Quote:
Velvet is stitch, Velour is knitted, but they can both use the same materials
I did not know the difference until about an hour ago myself (Wikipedia)

Good to know.

Probably worth trying without the pads first. But there is a night and day difference between the S500 and V6. Not night and day as in one is that much better than the other (I'm not one to claim that the S500s equal $150 headphones like some others in that S500 thread), but the tonal signatures are that different. 

One other thing is that it seems the black cups are pealing and scratching easily on some of the S500s. Might be better to go with the gun metal model (which is a painted chrome finish) in case the black paint is the problem (not the prep). Although in either case, I doubt the finish will hold up as well as the V6s. 

Sep 29, 2012 at 1:41 PM Post #19,549 of 29,490
Quote:
Got my DT 770 80 ohms with FiiO E11 and just loved them. But there is an interesting issue - some songs bass is just ridicilous without any bass boost from the amp. Is there something worng with those songs or what? they are mp3 format with 256-320btz. Any thoughts?

The DT770 is a basshead can and the FiiO E11 is a warm amp, so if there is bass in a song it will expose it and place more emphasis on it. Whatever headphone you used before probably have a less prominent bass response and may not have had as much extension into the low end, so some frequencies may have been much quieter than they are on your DT770 now.

Sep 29, 2012 at 1:44 PM Post #19,550 of 29,490
Hi guys; looking into buying the m80s maybe around the holidays if there's a price drop but just wondering, how are the cables that come with it? Like how thick are they. I would primarily use these on my way to class and such and I'd like a cable that's as thin as say, ipod headphone cables. Is it possible to have cables that thin and still retain sound quality? Thanks!

Sep 29, 2012 at 1:48 PM Post #19,552 of 29,490
Quote:
Good to know.
Probably worth trying without the pads first. But there is a night and day difference between the S500 and V6. Not night and day as in one is that much better than the other (I'm not one to claim that the S500s equal $150 headphones like some others in that S500 thread), but the tonal signatures are that different. 
One other thing is that it seems the black cups are pealing and scratching easily on some of the S500s. Might be better to go with the gun metal model (which is a painted chrome finish) in case the black paint is the problem (not the prep). Although in either case, I doubt the finish will hold up as well as the V6s. 

I was thinking of saving a few dollars ($16) and getting the HA-S400 (BK), but I'm guessing it's the same black paint as on the HA-S500 (BK).

Sep 29, 2012 at 1:50 PM Post #19,553 of 29,490
Quote:
Does anyone have anything good/bad to say about the Denon AHD2000 or 5000? Trying to decide which pair to buy for my new travel cans. 

Try asking here.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/350721/denon-d2000-d5000-md2000-md5000-appreciation-thread

Sep 29, 2012 at 1:57 PM Post #19,554 of 29,490
Quote:
I currently own an old, falling apart, pair of Sennheiser HD 280 Pro's.

I'm looking for a pair of supra-aural headphones which have better positional sound / tracking and are much more comfortable then these current sweaty eared head clampers.

In order of priority I play games, watch movies and television and listen to industrial/rock/electronica.

I've narrowed down my selection to: Audio Technica ATH-AD700 or the Sennheiser HD 558.

The AD700s would be $100 new and the 558s would be $100 refurbished.

Here is a frequency response comparison between the two choices and my old headphones:

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=533&graphID[]=2661&graphID[]=2861

I don't like an extreme amount of bass but the bass of my 280s was acceptable... from the graphs it seems the 558s are a good balance between my current headphones and the AD700s. However, it seems that the AD700s have a better high end.

I keep hearing about how comfortable the AD700s are and after the headaches induced by the 280s they keep popping up as an option for me. I wear a size large motorcycle helmet so I don't think the complaints about the AD700s being too large will be a problem.

Does anyone have experience using these two headphones and can help sway me one direction?

Both headphones will do great for your gaming purposes. I had the HD598 which is similar to the HD558 and it was one of the most comfortable headphone I'd ever worn, so the 558 shouldn't be much different. The 558 is a good all-rounder, though it does roll off in the treble a little, as is common on Sennheisers. They won't have too much bass (especially if unamped), but they will have more than the AD700.  I think that the HD558 is the better headphone, but either one should suit your needs well.

Sep 29, 2012 at 1:59 PM Post #19,555 of 29,490
Quote:
Does anyone have anything good/bad to say about the Denon AHD2000 or 5000? Trying to decide which pair to buy for my new travel cans. 

Both are great headphones, but very poor choices for travel cans. They are big, feel somewhat fragile, have poor isolation for a closed can, and have a 10ft cable. I have the D5000 and they are really nice, but I wouldn't take them out of the house.

Sep 29, 2012 at 2:38 PM Post #19,556 of 29,490
Hi, I'm looking for comments regarding what I'm thinking of buying.

I'm going to ditch my Creative SB USB sound card and Sennheiser PC350 headset. I have almost decided on getting the Audioengine D1 DAC and the Beyerdynamic DT-860 headphones. The D1 would also provide signal for a pair of KRK Rokit 5 speakers.

Does anyone have anything to say about this? Any better options, or is all good? :)

Sep 29, 2012 at 2:58 PM Post #19,557 of 29,490
Quote:
I currently own an old, falling apart, pair of Sennheiser HD 280 Pro's.

I'm looking for a pair of supra-aural headphones which have better positional sound / tracking and are much more comfortable then these current sweaty eared head clampers.

In order of priority I play games, watch movies and television and listen to industrial/rock/electronica.

I've narrowed down my selection to: Audio Technica ATH-AD700 or the Sennheiser HD 558.

The AD700s would be $100 new and the 558s would be $100 refurbished.

Here is a frequency response comparison between the two choices and my old headphones:

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=533&graphID[]=2661&graphID[]=2861

I don't like an extreme amount of bass but the bass of my 280s was acceptable... from the graphs it seems the 558s are a good balance between my current headphones and the AD700s. However, it seems that the AD700s have a better high end.

I keep hearing about how comfortable the AD700s are and after the headaches induced by the 280s they keep popping up as an option for me. I wear a size large motorcycle helmet so I don't think the complaints about the AD700s being too large will be a problem.

Does anyone have experience using these two headphones and can help sway me one direction?

Both are good open cans.  The 558 is a bit better, in part because it provides a fuller frequency response--especially bass.  The 558 has the same drivers as the up-line 598.

Sep 29, 2012 at 3:06 PM Post #19,558 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi there,
I was thinking about telling a whole story of what I exactly want/need, but Ill keep it simple.  Im very sorry about my wallet, but I have to keep the price below $120. :)
It will be used inside only, 90% of the time with a Pioneer HiFi amp and 10% with the Sansa Clip+.
I use both Sennheiser HD 205 and 205 II, and while I love the bass of the IIs, I too love the clarity of the original 205s. 
I understood the original 205s are more studio headphones (more flat fr) while the IIs are more for DJ'ing on stage (the extra bass helps you cueing up the tracks). 

I mainly listen to Bob Dylan and Leonard Cohen (folk), Michael Jackson, Phil Collins and lots of classical music (Mozart, Vivaldi and Beethoven). 
Im using CDs or FLACs only, and Id love to have a nice soundstage, but nothing especially great or impossible. 
What I like is a neutral sound (how the artist wanted the music to sound), but a small emphasis on the bass could be prefered with e.g. Phil Collins, as long as it doesnt ruin the vocals (which the HD 205 II does). 
While I love some extra bass, I have to tell you that on my amp I use no equalizer except that the tweeters on the speakers themselves are at +3 instead of at 0. This makes the voice of Bob Dylan to be more ''free'' sounding.  
A detachable cable to be sure that I am able to use it for a long time is very preferred.

Okay, it's all not too easy. To make it easier; Im a Sennheiser fanboy, and because I know a bit of them, I found the HD 518 to be quite fitting my needs.
I am not going to upgrade in a long time from them though, so it has to be one of the best I could get. BUT, the HD 518 is directly the most expensive I could afford. 

So what I'd like to know from you, audiophiles and experts: is the HD 518 among the best I could get for that amount of money? Is it truely in the audiophile territory? If needed (I understood it's quite dark sounding), can I eq it to sound different? 

Is there perhaps a (much) better headphone in my budget that's right for me? I thought about the HD 215, but Im not too sure about them.

Oh, and btw: I am (going to be) an audiophile, just one on a very small budget (hence the Sansa Clip +)!

Thanks for reading!

The HD 518 is open and leaks sound, so it's a poor choice for portable/in public use.  Otherwise it's a very good but dark sounding can.

On the other side of the graph, the KRK KNS 8400 is closed and has a bright sound signature.

Sep 29, 2012 at 3:27 PM Post #19,559 of 29,490
Quote:
I was thinking about telling a whole story of what I exactly want/need, but Ill keep it simple.  Im very sorry about my wallet, but I have to keep the price below $120. :)
It will be used inside only, 90% of the time with a Pioneer HiFi amp and 10% with the Sansa Clip+.
I use both Sennheiser HD 205 and 205 II, and while I love the bass of the IIs, I too love the clarity of the original 205s. 
I understood the original 205s are more studio headphones (more flat fr) while the IIs are more for DJ'ing on stage (the extra bass helps you cueing up the tracks). 
I mainly listen to Bob Dylan and Leonard Cohen (folk), Michael Jackson, Phil Collins and lots of classical music (Mozart, Vivaldi and Beethoven). 
Im using CDs or FLACs only, and Id love to have a nice soundstage, but nothing especially great or impossible. 
What I like is a neutral sound (how the artist wanted the music to sound), but a small emphasis on the bass could be prefered with e.g. Phil Collins, as long as it doesnt ruin the vocals (which the HD 205 II does). 
While I love some extra bass, I have to tell you that on my amp I use no equalizer except that the tweeters on the speakers themselves are at +3 instead of at 0. This makes the voice of Bob Dylan to be more ''free'' sounding.  
A detachable cable to be sure that I am able to use it for a long time is very preferred.
Okay, it's all not too easy. To make it easier; Im a Sennheiser fanboy, and because I know a bit of them, I found the HD 518 to be quite fitting my needs.
I am not going to upgrade in a long time from them though, so it has to be one of the best I could get. BUT, the HD 518 is directly the most expensive I could afford. 
So what I'd like to know from you, audiophiles and experts: is the HD 518 among the best I could get for that amount of money? Is it truely in the audiophile territory? If needed (I understood it's quite dark sounding), can I eq it to sound different? 
Is there perhaps a (much) better headphone in my budget that's right for me? I thought about the HD 215, but Im not too sure about them.
Oh, and btw: I am (going to be) an audiophile, just one on a very small budget (hence the Sansa Clip +)!

The Technical Pro HPT990 (Takstar Hi2050) is a great budget head at $45.
Does need several hours of break in time.

Sep 29, 2012 at 4:20 PM Post #19,560 of 29,490
Quote:
Looking for some open headphones around $200.  I prioritize soundstage and neutrality.  I currently have no amp, but that may be a future purchase.  I like lots of music, but mostly classical and indie-rock.  The headphones I have been looking at are the Sennheiser HD 558, the 598s, the AKG 701.  I've decided against the Audio Technica AD900 because of the headband.  Any other appropriate headphones in this range?  Or is there a preference between the ones I listed?  

Without an amp, the HD 598 is the best choice.  The 558 may be the best value at current prices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back