++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Sep 27, 2012 at 4:09 PM Post #19,441 of 29,490
Quote:
DT880 is like a Dt990 with less bass and more mids ^^ I think the DT880 is a good compromise 

agree'd the dt 880 is cleaner to seeing as it's not as dark, although the 600 OHM dt 880 is still pretty dark, the 250 I hear is the birghter one [I'll find out in 6 days <3] 

Sep 27, 2012 at 5:16 PM Post #19,442 of 29,490
Quote:
Looking for $200 on-ear portables that don't sound too warm and has no bass emphasis. Something that has a lot of detail, and an open sound. I listen to mostly instrumental/acoustic/vocal.

I do love the looks of the new Momentum but it has a bass emphasis, like just about every portable can on the market. I'm currently looking at the Sennheiser Amperior or the DT1350.
As for the Amperior, some people say it has very forward mids, which I am curious about, but also they apparently have thumpin' bass... which I'm not a big fan of.

The Ortofon O-one has a wide, crisp, open sound and clean, not-thumping bass.  It has the characteristic of the Ultrasone S-logic "spatial" signature, with a different timbre.  You can certainly wear it while walking and it is (in my experience) an easy load, but it does not have the excellent isolation of an on-ear portable such as the DT1350, Amperior, or (in a lower price class) Philips SHL-5605 (Downtown).  By the way, the Downtown would not satisfy your requirements because of its bass emphasis.

Sep 27, 2012 at 6:42 PM Post #19,443 of 29,490
Quote:
I currently am using a fostex hp-p1 and am about to drop the hammer on a separate portable amp to cover everything to the baddest planar magnetic to sensitive iems. I am open to suggestions. In my current state my top two contenders are the SR-71B and the Triad Audio L3. The iBasso D12 is attractive to me because of it's optical input, but that is not necessary. 

bump!

Sep 27, 2012 at 9:08 PM Post #19,446 of 29,490
Resurrecting a thread from page 1285, hey only 13 pages old.

So, in my search for an over-the-ear closed  non-Bose portable headphone, the recommendations I received;

ATH - etsw9 > those appeared to be way too big to be portable, and I already have ATH-50m, so wanted to consider something new.

Beyerdynamic t50p > I so much wanted these, even if they are on-the-ear, but the double-cable connections looked (to me) to be way too vulnerable,

So, I bought the 

KRK KNS 8400 because I did not want too much bass, the detail is all there and I liked the idea of replace-able cable.

My regrets:
1. It appears that this is a proprietary cable connection, due to the twist-and-lock.  It seems that I am unable to replace the cable with anything other than the KRK cable.  AM I MISTAKEN ?  I want to be.

2.  Just not portable enough, they look to be the same size as my ATH-50m

3.  Heavy headphones.

So, it seems that the Bose AE2 may be the best for me (I want: closed, portable, over-the-ear, not too much bass)  unless someone can save me such a horrible non-enthusiast's fate.

Sep 27, 2012 at 9:26 PM Post #19,447 of 29,490
So, it seems that the Bose AE2 may be the best for me (I want: closed, portable, over-the-ear, not too much bass)  unless someone can save me such a horrible non-enthusiast's fate.

You are in the full sized headphone threadwhich is the problem. People are going to give you full sized recommendations.

I wish to save you from wasting money on the AE2. If you like that size and shape then these will probably suit you:

These refurbished Sennheisers should sound pretty nice and will be portable for 50 bucks shipped.

http://www.vminnovations.com/Product_15429/Sennheiser-PX-360-Around-The-Ear-Collapsible-MP3-iPod-Wired-Headphones-Refurbished-.html

I have not heard them but I have heard the MM550 which from my knowledge is the same driver in a noise cancelling headphone. Those 550's for sure had better sound than the AE2 so these might be a good option.

The other that I can certify that you will be very happy with over the Bose is the JVC S500. Order from Amazon as it is a Japan import item only but they sound amazing for the cost of 75 bucks. I have a pair and am about to order another because I keep modding the ones that I have.

Check out this thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/621063/the-new-jvc-ha-s500-40mm-carbon-nanotubes

But you might have more luck getting info on portables in the IEM/portable section of the forums.

edit: oh yea. the jvc is not an over the ear model like you are looking for but still worth your time to look at.

Sep 27, 2012 at 9:49 PM Post #19,448 of 29,490
I will take a look, thank you.

Sep 27, 2012 at 10:13 PM Post #19,449 of 29,490
Sep 27, 2012 at 10:29 PM Post #19,450 of 29,490
Quote:
The dt880 has never lacked bass for me it also has extremely good extension in sub bass, and non-exaggerated and well textured bass. For the genres you listen to, I think it would be better to get the 880, very good with jazz and rock. But i would also suggest you audition the 990 and 880 with your own setup. But, you would almost have to use a tube amp to tame the treble spike of the 880.
Tl;dr
Audition dt880 and 990, totally different from 770 and each other

I already tried the dt880, too bass light for me. 650 is already on the border of my bass need. I will try the 990 pro 250 later. From review, I got the feeling that I will like it. I will use my Fiio e17 for now. No money to spare and not enough space for more decent amp.

Sep 27, 2012 at 11:46 PM Post #19,451 of 29,490
I'm currently looking to upgrade from my Ultrasone HFI 580's. I always listen to music on my laptop, so portability isn't an issue. I listen to primarily dubstep and other kinds of agressive, complex techno music, no gaming or movies or anything. They need to be full sized and closed. I use an external sound card (Soundblaster X-fi 5.1) which improves the sound of the 580's (makes the base actually audible) but I'm not sure if its the kind of thing I need. I'm looking at getting a Fiio E10 or possibly an E17.  I'm looking to spend less than $250 on headphones. I was thinking about buying the ATH-M50's, but I'm not sure if its really much of an upgrade in quality. Your advice is appreciated :)

Sep 27, 2012 at 11:55 PM Post #19,452 of 29,490
Quote:
I'm currently looking to upgrade from my Ultrasone HFI 580's. I always listen to music on my laptop, so portability isn't an issue. I listen to primarily dubstep and other kinds of agressive, complex techno music, no gaming or movies or anything. They need to be full sized and closed. I use an external sound card (Soundblaster X-fi 5.1) which improves the sound of the 580's (makes the base actually audible) but I'm not sure if its the kind of thing I need. I'm looking at getting a Fiio E10 or possibly an E17.  I'm looking to spend less than $250 on headphones. I was thinking about buying the ATH-M50's, but I'm not sure if its really much of an upgrade in quality. Your advice is appreciated :)

WHAT? The 580 has tons of bass!

Anyways, the M50 won't be a worthwhile upgrade for you, as it will be similar to the 580 is sound signature and they are basically in the same class. You might look to something like the Beyerdynamic DT770 80ohm or 250ohm and then get the e17.

Sep 28, 2012 at 12:05 AM Post #19,453 of 29,490
Aight, so after some time with the 8323, I have decided to rid myself of the 380s. Shipping them off to a friend soon, hopefully they're to his liking.

Another issue that has arisen because of them is that I am no longer satisfied with the bass from my 555. I'd like some open cans that have more, fuller bass for my home rig. Can something like that be had for less than $100? If not, go ahead and give me suggestions up the price scale, so I can plan accordingly for the future.

I use my TiHD RCA out to my E9, using foobar with ASIO or WASAPI depending on if I'm gaming or not. Mostly listen to punk lately but I enjoy breakcore and soft rock/alternative, sometimes hip-hop but rarely. The 8323s have sort of become my 'perfect' mobile can for the moment, though I know I'll eventually have better down the road....the fact that they beat out some $150-200 sets kinda blows me away. 

Anyway, many thanks for any input on this.

Sep 28, 2012 at 1:12 AM Post #19,454 of 29,490
Quote:
Aight, so after some time with the 8323, I have decided to rid myself of the 380s. Shipping them off to a friend soon, hopefully they're to his liking.

Another issue that has arisen because of them is that I am no longer satisfied with the bass from my 555. I'd like some open cans that have more, fuller bass for my home rig. Can something like that be had for less than $100? If not, go ahead and give me suggestions up the price scale, so I can plan accordingly for the future.

I use my TiHD RCA out to my E9, using foobar with ASIO or WASAPI depending on if I'm gaming or not. Mostly listen to punk lately but I enjoy breakcore and soft rock/alternative, sometimes hip-hop but rarely. The 8323s have sort of become my 'perfect' mobile can for the moment, though I know I'll eventually have better down the road....the fact that they beat out some $150-200 sets kinda blows me away. 

Anyway, many thanks for any input on this.

Open-back headphones, by nature, have limited bass "slam". This is because most of the bass impact you get from a bass-heavy headphone is from the pressure of low notes against the cups.

Its hard to find good open cans for $100 and even harder, if not impossible, to find open cans with a bass emphasis for under $100. If you want accentuated bass you'll need to go with closed cans or save up for something like the HD650, DT990, or one of the open-back Ultrasones.

Edit: Added the DT990. In fact that's probably your cheapest option for bass-heavy open cans.

Sep 28, 2012 at 1:24 AM Post #19,455 of 29,490
He could also go for the DT990. It has a lot of bass quantity but devhen is right in terms of impact, the DT770 I have is superior in that regard though the quantity is similar. I have the 770 premium which has a wide soundstage for a closed headphone. I could'nt imagine the standard 770 pro is much different.

Another closed idea you could look into is the review Malveaux wrote on the M-audio Q40. He put beyerdynamic 770 velour pads on it and he has alot of good things to say about that one. I just read it a couple days ago.

Doc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back