++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Sep 23, 2012 at 8:36 PM Post #19,261 of 29,490
Quote:
KRK KNS 8400 with neutral bass or Shure SRH 840 for mid bass hump with somewhat recessed highs.

KRK KNS 8400 look to be as big as my ATH-50m.... though I could be incorrect.  I have not read a review of them, thank you.  I like what I have read about the Shure, "detail monster" if I recall correctly, or maybe that was the Shure 940.

Sep 23, 2012 at 8:52 PM Post #19,262 of 29,490
Quote:
Smaller size.  The Bose headphones are much more portable because the cans are oval, not as circular in shape; headband not as thick.  They are also lighter in weight. I just do not want to buy the Bose.

Since you want over ear headphones, you're not going to get a can much smaller than the KRK that has much durability.  If you want smaller, you almost certainly need to go to on ear headphones like the Senn HD 25-1 II.

Sep 23, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #19,263 of 29,490
Quote:
Since you want over ear headphones, you're not going to get a can much smaller than the KRK that has much durability.  If you want smaller, you almost certainly need to go to on ear headphones like the Senn HD 25-1 II.

thank you for the recommendation, I will go find them in a store in NYC and take a look and hear them.

Sep 23, 2012 at 9:36 PM Post #19,264 of 29,490
Quote:
Thanks I was going to add the SRH840 in the list but dropped it out by accident. I've read on some comparisons of GMP 8.35d, which is the top of my list currently, and the SRH940, but can't decide whether the clarity between those 2 and comparatively the KNS 8400 (which I've heard a lot about the clarity and detail).

I'd like to keep it on the budget but the GMP 8.35d seems to be stretching my budget to a whooping $250. So any recommendations for comparison between these 3 phones then? 

-GMP 8.35d
-SRH 840/940
-KNS 8400

I could not find these phones near any hifi shop I've tried searching, so haven't personally listened through any of those headphones, and can't make an informed decision on my preference, but again, I would like the one with better clarity for details.

Thanks for the reply, seems like not many have said much about the GMP or the KNS models. Anyone who is up for it though please do reply.

Next, I'd like to ask about the ultrasone Pro models, particularly 550 and 650 and their performance and sound signatures, comparatively to the models mentioned beforehand, in relation the classical music, and monitoring. Details and clarity are again the main priority.

Sep 23, 2012 at 9:45 PM Post #19,265 of 29,490
Hi, I've been reading the forum for quite the time, doing some research about the best -under 50$- over the ear headphones I can get. 'Till now, my options are:

- Superlux HD668B
- JVC HARX700

First, I want to be 100% sure the Superlux are around the ear. Here say they are on ear, but here they are categorized as over the ear... so I'm a little confused (although I'm 80% sure they're over the ear). Also, knowing which one of them offers the best isolating would be great. I know the Superlux are semi-open, but in most reviews about the HARX700 mention sound leaking despite being a closed model. Any thoughts on which one should I pick? Oh, and I listen to all type of music, being classic/modern rock my favorite (and most listened to) genre.

Any recommendation would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Sep 23, 2012 at 10:54 PM Post #19,266 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi, I've been reading the forum for quite the time, doing some research about the best -under 50$- over the ear headphones I can get. 'Till now, my options are:

- Superlux HD668B
- JVC HARX700

First, I want to be 100% sure the Superlux are around the ear. Here say they are on ear, but here they are categorized as over the ear... so I'm a little confused (although I'm 80% sure they're over the ear). Also, knowing which one of them offers the best isolating would be great. I know the Superlux are semi-open, but in most reviews about the HARX700 mention sound leaking despite being a closed model. Any thoughts on which one should I pick? Oh, and I listen to all type of music, being classic/modern rock my favorite (and most listened to) genre.

Any recommendation would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

The Superlux is Over-ear. It is semi-open like you said, but isolation and leakage is better compared to other open/semi-open cans I've tried. It does still leak a bit so isolation/leakage is a big concern, then look to something like the Monoprice 8323. I have not heard the JVC so I cannot comment on how we it isolates/leaks

Sep 23, 2012 at 10:54 PM Post #19,267 of 29,490
Just about any open/semi-open headphone will leak more than even a poorly isolating closed headphone

The CAD MH310 if I recall correctly is a closed version of one of the Superlux HD6XXX models so perhaps that would be of interest to you. Very attractive looking too.

Sep 23, 2012 at 11:03 PM Post #19,268 of 29,490
He-400 or Mad dogs? 

If i get the mad dogs, i'm most likely gonna get the O2 + ODAC

If i get the HE-400, i'll probably use the e17. 

Whatever adds up to a total of $600 i'll be getting.

I listen to Radiohead (all of their stuff, from the early 90's to now), as well as a bit of EDM.

Bump

Sep 23, 2012 at 11:49 PM Post #19,269 of 29,490
Quote:
Just about any open/semi-open headphone will leak more than even a poorly isolating closed headphone

The CAD MH310 if I recall correctly is a closed version of one of the Superlux HD6XXX models so perhaps that would be of interest to you. Very attractive looking too.

Thanks for the advise, closed cans are the ones for me then. The MH310 surpass my budget, so they are not an option.

Quote:
The Superlux is Over-ear. It is semi-open like you said, but isolation and leakage is better compared to other open/semi-open cans I've tried. It does still leak a bit so isolation/leakage is a big concern, then look to something like the Monoprice 8323. I have not heard the JVC so I cannot comment on how we it isolates/leaks

Don't know how I miss this pair. Geez, the price is really good and the reviews tell nothing but good things in the sound department, although one thing that bothers me is the build quality. Some customer reviews in amazon tell they are no-durable at all. Could someone confirm this?

Sep 24, 2012 at 12:35 AM Post #19,270 of 29,490
Quote:
Thanks for the advise, closed cans are the ones for me then. The MH310 surpass my budget, so they are not an option.
Don't know how I miss this pair. Geez, the price is really good and the reviews tell nothing but good things in the sound department, although one thing that bothers me is the build quality. Some customer reviews in amazon tell they are no-durable at all. Could someone confirm this?

The Superlux is a $50 headphone that empahizes sound quality and has a detachable cable.  The build quality is not bad for a $50 can.  It's not great either.   At $50 +/- you only get so much and the buyer has to decide what is most important to him/her.

Sep 24, 2012 at 12:43 AM Post #19,271 of 29,490
Quote:

They are only $9 more than the HD668B

HD668B: http://www.amazon.com/Superlux-HD668B-Dynamic-Semi-Open-Headphones/dp/B003JOETX8

MH310L http://www.amazon.com/CAD-Audio-MH310-Closed-Back-Headphones/dp/B004OA6WOA/ref=sr_1_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1348461606&sr=1-1&keywords=mh310

Sep 24, 2012 at 12:56 AM Post #19,272 of 29,490
Quote:

The current price spread is $48 to $60.  Some might say it's only a $12 difference.  Others will point out that the MH310L is priced 25% higher than the Superlux.  It just depends on how you look at it and how much cash you have to spend.

Sep 24, 2012 at 12:58 AM Post #19,273 of 29,490
Quote:

Never had any issues with their build quality. They are entirely plastic, but are very solid feeling. I just folded them up and put them in my backpack to carry them around. I sold them to a friend after about 3 months of use with no problems. You also have the option to buy the Beyer DT250 velour pads for them and the beyer headband for extra comfort.

Sep 24, 2012 at 1:19 AM Post #19,274 of 29,490
Hey fellas I need a little help. I am looking to spend around $100 on a pair of closed head phones with a strait cord (not coiled). Pretty much what I am looking for is something on par with the beats by Dre headphones as far as bass, clarity, and blocking out sound (forgot the term for this) are concerned. I am looking to spend around $100, so the best headphones in that price range would be good.

My main purpose for using these would be to wear them at gym.

Here is what I have been looking at so far:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004ZG9TMA/ref=s9_simh_gw_p267_d0_i2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1DK42KQ8H1842QQN1NGR&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1389517282&pf_rd_i=507846

&

http://www.amazon.com/Shure-SRH550DJ-Professional-Quality-Headphones/dp/B004MBQF84/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1348366183&sr=1-1&keywords=Shure+SRH550DJ

What do you guys think? I appreciate any help, thx.

Sep 24, 2012 at 1:29 AM Post #19,275 of 29,490
Quote:
The current price spread is $48 to $60.  Some might say it's only a $12 difference.  Others will point out that the MH310L is priced 25% higher than the Superlux.  It just depends on how you look at it and how much cash you have to spend.

Yeap, can't spend more than 50$, I'm on a tight spot right now.

Quote:

Never had any issues with their build quality. They are entirely plastic, but are very solid feeling. I just folded them up and put them in my backpack to carry them around. I sold them to a friend after about 3 months of use with no problems. You also have the option to buy the Beyer DT250 velour pads for them and the beyer headband for extra comfort.

Thanks, so no problems with the build quality. :) Now, passed the euphoria moment, I'm really wondering if they really sound that good (I mean, they are 25$). Could you compare their sound to other same price range phones? Here someone say they are similar to the HARX700 and HTF600-S.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back