++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Sep 22, 2012 at 9:23 PM Post #19,231 of 29,490
Quote:

I changed the distance so that the bottom two are not as far away from the top (I did move the top down a bit after taking the pic but too lazy to take another one). Also I decided not to get any wood since well I couldn't find it at this home depot (I must have been blind or just crazy but alas they did not have any wood) and decided meh whatever it's not going to kill me if I keep it as is. Also I picked up the Mjolnir from Schiit so I get something new to play with when my cables come in. 

Wow, I never realized how large the Mjolnir is.

Sep 22, 2012 at 9:41 PM Post #19,232 of 29,490
Quote:

I changed the distance so that the bottom two are not as far away from the top (I did move the top down a bit after taking the pic but too lazy to take another one). Also I decided not to get any wood since well I couldn't find it at this home depot (I must have been blind or just crazy but alas they did not have any wood) and decided meh whatever it's not going to kill me if I keep it as is. Also I picked up the Mjolnir from Schiit so I get something new to play with when my cables come in. 

Lol, you're like me. $5000 in gear and $30 on a shelf
biggrin.gif

EDIT: Somehow I thought I was in the "show us your setup" thread. Guess not.

Sep 22, 2012 at 9:48 PM Post #19,233 of 29,490
oops..I could have sworn I posted this in the post pictures of your gear thread. I'm reading the title of the thread and I'm like huh??

Sep 22, 2012 at 10:05 PM Post #19,234 of 29,490
Plan on getting He-400's w/ an e17 in a few months, but i kind of wonder...is there a closed equivalent to the he-400's? Just being hypothetical 

Sep 22, 2012 at 10:14 PM Post #19,235 of 29,490
Thanks for the responses I got. I do apologise for my impatience, I was restless.

As for how I feel they should look, I like the 'metal' look. I want V-Moda M100s, but they're way out of my price range. Also, isolation isn't majorly important, I listed noise cancelling as a plus because i figured it'd be cool to only hear my music and nothing else. Also, sound-wise, I'm not an audiophile. I listen to: Nickelback, Adele, Aloe Blacc, Coldplay, Fort Minor, Linkin Park, Jet, The Temper Trap, and Cold Chisel. I'd like a headphone that's good for these. Also, comfort is very important, I'll be listning to these for hours at a time.

Also, I should mention that I can't get an amp, so I'll be running these headphones directly from my Galaxy S2 and my Dell Latitude XT3.

Sep 22, 2012 at 10:29 PM Post #19,237 of 29,490
Quote:

Also checkout the Beyerdynamic DT 235. They are the best budget cans I've found so far and they have a pretty wide soundstage for such a cheap headphone (they can be had for under $40) which makes them great for gaming. I also think they would do quite well for the genres you mentioned.

+1.

Sep 23, 2012 at 12:13 AM Post #19,238 of 29,490
Alrighty, so it seems that my Beyerdynamics are screwed, so I'm looking for a new headphone.

What I want them for:

- Music (Rap/Hip-Hop/Progressive Metal)
- Gaming (All types of games)
- TV Shows/Movies
- Talking on mumble/voIP programs

I have an ASUS Essence Xonar STX sound card.

Budget under $300.00 AUD

Can anybody suggest? :D!

Sep 23, 2012 at 12:26 AM Post #19,239 of 29,490
Quote:
Alrighty, so it seems that my Beyerdynamics are screwed, so I'm looking for a new headphone.

What I want them for:

- TV Shows/Movies

Budget under $300.00 AUD

How about another Beyer, like the DT990 Pro 250-Ohm or used DT880 600-Ohm.

Sep 23, 2012 at 12:28 AM Post #19,240 of 29,490
Headphones for smaller heads.
Looking at getting a low cost headphone that fit well on an 8 year olds head, uses with iPad.
Maybe something in Senn, Monoprice, Superlux?

Sep 23, 2012 at 12:31 AM Post #19,241 of 29,490
Quote:
It means that you start out with a significant disadvantage. 

Quality open cans almost always have significantly bigger and better sound stages (needed for in game positioning and other things) than quality closed cans in the same price class.  There are exceptions in your price class, but most of these are open cans (like the Grado family) designed for creating a smaller sound stage that benefits their "wall of sound" sound signature.

Ok, thanks. In my current situation I felt like closed would be better (college dorm, when I am at home I am also sitting right next to someone as well), would an open set of headphones be a big enough leap that I should consider them more? When I was looking for headphones closed seemed like the way to go when I was intentionally trying to make a distinction, is this not the case and I should branch out more?

Ideally I am trying to make my decision by the 24th, as that is when Guitar Center's deal expires ($30 off $199+) but if I need to look around some more I can wait as well.

Though right now I have a pair of $30 Creative Fatalities, so I think anything is going to be a fairly large improvement.

Sep 23, 2012 at 12:53 AM Post #19,242 of 29,490
I wouldn't really base anything off of guitar center/musicians friend sales.
1. They have them year round, the coupon code or message you have to call in or amount you have to spend just changes.
2. Make sure you look at the "brand exclusions" section. Half of the stuff they carry doesn't even apply to those sales ("this manufacturer has decline to participate in special promotions...").

Once in a while GC/MF has amazing deals on clearance items (my friend got a $300 mic for $50 once) but other than stuff like that, Amazon is usually cheaper.

Sep 23, 2012 at 1:49 AM Post #19,243 of 29,490
Quote:

What I want them for:

- TV Shows/Movies

Budget under $300.00 AUD

sennheiser hd598 seems optimal for you, large soundstage cause of the angled drivers are good for gaming and movies, but the bass is a bit lacking as well as it being a kind of dark headphone with an emphasis on the mids.

Sep 23, 2012 at 2:05 AM Post #19,244 of 29,490
Hi, I would like to find a pair of closed headphones with good clarity below $200. Preferably suited to classical music and light monitoring. Shortlisted with positions as follows:

1. GMP 8.35d
2. KNS 8400
3. MDR 7506
4. ATH M-50
5. DT660

Any picks from the above which is most relevant to my criterias, or other headphones that can be recommended?

Clarity (ie. able to separate the different instruments in music easily, not sure if it's the right term) and neutrality is of utmost importance, . Portability or looks are not an issue.

Thank you.

I recommend u check out shure 440, good separation, neutral.

Sep 23, 2012 at 3:44 AM Post #19,245 of 29,490
Quote:
Ok, thanks. In my current situation I felt like closed would be better (college dorm, when I am at home I am also sitting right next to someone as well), would an open set of headphones be a big enough leap that I should consider them more? When I was looking for headphones closed seemed like the way to go when I was intentionally trying to make a distinction, is this not the case and I should branch out more?

Ideally I am trying to make my decision by the 24th, as that is when Guitar Center's deal expires ($30 off $199+) but if I need to look around some more I can wait as well.

Though right now I have a pair of $30 Creative Fatalities, so I think anything is going to be a fairly large improvement.

Community living usually dictates closed cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back