++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Sep 21, 2012 at 4:17 PM Post #19,173 of 29,490
Quote:
Under 200 will listen at home and in public, a fairly short straight cable or detachable cable would be ideal. Want them to look nice, and I listen to hip hop, dubstep, indie, pop,RNb.

Hm. Full sized? If so, you might want to checkout the new Beyer Custom One Pros (or the Beyer 770 though the COP will probably do better without an amp).

http://www.head-fi.org/t/604570/beyerdynamic-custom-ones-new-beyer-headphones

Hi, Im looking for a good pair of headphones, i listen to all types of music but a lot of rap and hip hop. Im looking for clean, punchy bass kinda like a theater sound system type of sound. I also would like heavy bass but not so much so that it drowns out the mids and highs. My budget is up to $250 US. 

See above. The COP are said to have a little less recessed mids compared to the 770s though they might be slightly inferior in other ways. Have a look through the thread above.

Sep 21, 2012 at 6:09 PM Post #19,174 of 29,490
Hi guys, newbie here looking for some headphones recommendations.

Looking for a set of headphones that cost no more than £30 (roughly $50). They have to be multi-purpose, as I would use them for video games ranging from my little pony to mass effect, but mainly for music ranging from Pink Floyd to Tchaikovsky. I tend to get alot of use out of headphones, so they have to be long lasting (the pair I'm using right now I've had for 3 months, but the sound just went in the right ear). Willing to sacrifice some comfort as long as they last a long time, and I have an average sized head.

Sep 21, 2012 at 6:20 PM Post #19,175 of 29,490
Quote:

Looking for a set of headphones that cost no more than £30 (roughly $50). They have to be multi-purpose, as I would use them for video games ranging from my little pony to mass effect, but mainly for music ranging from Pink Floyd to Tchaikovsky. I tend to get alot of use out of headphones, so they have to be long lasting (the pair I'm using right now I've had for 3 months, but the sound just went in the right ear). Willing to sacrifice some comfort as long as they last a long time, and I have an average sized head.

You need to up your budget if you want durable cans.  Within your budget, you might try the Samson RH600 or the Superlux HD668B, which has a replaceable cable.

Sep 21, 2012 at 6:30 PM Post #19,176 of 29,490
Quote:

Also checkout the Beyerdynamic DT 235. They are the best budget cans I've found so far and they have a pretty wide soundstage for such a cheap headphone (they can be had for under $40) which makes them great for gaming. I also think they would do quite well for the genres you mentioned.

Sep 21, 2012 at 7:16 PM Post #19,177 of 29,490
Wow, thanks for the quick responses guys. The customer reviews on Amazon seem consistent with what you are saying, so it's a difficult decision between them. Sayonara
smile.gif

Sep 21, 2012 at 7:47 PM Post #19,179 of 29,490
Quote:
Aw, come on. Three people post after me and get a response before me. Surely someone has some idea what headphones would fit my criteria? I'm looking at Aviators. 

You can try them out at any apple store. I think they sound good but the cord is very flimbsy/thin and the isolation is not its strong suit which I imagine is somewhat of importance since you mention noise-cancelling as a +.

Sep 21, 2012 at 8:13 PM Post #19,180 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi, 

I'm looking for a pair of over-ear headphones that are around or under $140. I'm willing to look on eBay / Amazon, and the likes of those. My main use for these will be music. I'll be using these for school, so they need to be fairly light, and easily portable. 

They need to: 

- Look good
- Sound good (I like my bass, but I don't want it to drown out everything else)
- Fold up
- Be a closed headphone

I'd like, but they don't have to: 

- Have a detachable cord
- Have Noise Cancelling
- Have a matte finish
- Allow me to daisy chain

What genres do you listen to? The Audio Technica ATH-M50 seems like a decent option since its over-ear and folds up. The Shure SRH-840 also.

Sep 21, 2012 at 9:21 PM Post #19,181 of 29,490
I m looking to get a pair of headphones, I m a huge huge image s4 fan, and have usually used IEMs in the past. Recently I tried the Image one, almost choked on the bass,****ty ****ty headphone. Anyway, returned it, looking to get either the ATH m50 or the crossfade m80.  The ATH seems extremely well recommended, while the m80 costs about 40$ more on amazon but offers way better styling,build,cables and somewhat comparable sound quality i guess. So please help me decide.
I spent about 4hrs on head-fi n all other forums reading up n catching up before finally giving up n asking 4 help.
My requirements.
1. Sufficient bass, should make me feel it, but not drown me, i use it mostly while commuting to work. I listen to - about 50% hip-hop, 20% pop,and about 30% electronica(exclusively david guett n skrillex). Very rarely, I have around 4-5 country songs in my whole collection that i might listen to, and a couple of vocals maybe. So, I need the signature to be a bit on the bass heavy side, have a good body and force behind it. But then again, i dislike the all consuming bass on the Beats studio or even the image ones. I guessin this respect both headphones fit the bill, but still cant decide.
2. Cables-love the vmoda kevlar cabling, but the m50 is not bad too.
3. Style: I would like some "oomph" factor, if u please, n it seems the m50 lacks in it. 
4. Construction: Cant decide. the m80 seems bloody indestructible, but if the m50 gets the job done for 2-3 years, who needs indestructible. But can it?
5:Comfort: No specific need, I listen at max 1hr at a stretch, so i guess both can pass.
6. Isolation: IDK how bad the m80 is exactly at isolation. I carpool, so can the person next to me hear it, or, hear it much? Can someone it to the Image one? If its better than that, it suits me.
7. Price: I am cheap. Very cheap. Actually running real short of cash right now, but i gotta have something for my birthday(20 days)!!! So i would prefer the ATH, if only someone could assure me that it delivers good enough bass for my needs and the cover is as good as the book, so to speak.... 

HELP?

PS- Also, for my requirements, would u recommend the crossfade LP?

Sep 21, 2012 at 9:33 PM Post #19,182 of 29,490
I m looking to get a pair of headphones, I m a huge huge image s4 fan, and have usually used IEMs in the past. Recently I tried the Image one, almost choked on the bass,****ty ****ty headphone. Anyway, returned it, looking to get either the ATH m50 or the crossfade m80.  The ATH seems extremely well recommended, while the m80 costs about 40$ more on amazon but offers way better styling,build,cables and somewhat comparable sound quality i guess. So please help me decide.
I spent about 4hrs on head-fi n all other forums reading up n catching up before finally giving up n asking 4 help.
My requirements.
1. Sufficient bass, should make me feel it, but not drown me, i use it mostly while commuting to work. I listen to - about 50% hip-hop, 20% pop,and about 30% electronica(exclusively david guett n skrillex). Very rarely, I have around 4-5 country songs in my whole collection that i might listen to, and a couple of vocals maybe. So, I need the signature to be a bit on the bass heavy side, have a good body and force behind it. But then again, i dislike the all consuming bass on the Beats studio or even the image ones. I guessin this respect both headphones fit the bill, but still cant decide.
2. Cables-love the vmoda kevlar cabling, but the m50 is not bad too.
3. Style: I would like some "oomph" factor, if u please, n it seems the m50 lacks in it. 
4. Construction: Cant decide. the m80 seems bloody indestructible, but if the m50 gets the job done for 2-3 years, who needs indestructible. But can it?
5:Comfort: No specific need, I listen at max 1hr at a stretch, so i guess both can pass.
6. Isolation: IDK how bad the m80 is exactly at isolation. I carpool, so can the person next to me hear it, or, hear it much? Can someone it to the Image one? If its better than that, it suits me.
7. Price: I am cheap. Very cheap. Actually running real short of cash right now, but i gotta have something for my birthday(20 days)!!! So i would prefer the ATH, if only someone could assure me that it delivers good enough bass for my needs and the cover is as good as the book, so to speak.... 

HELP?

PS- Also, for my requirements, would u recommend the crossfade LP?

Couple things you should realize:
1. The ATH M50 has a very long coiled or straight cable depending on which version you get. About 10 feet long. Not very portable.
2. There is a place that will mod them for you and you can buy a V-moda cable and use that with them instead. It will cost you an extra 30 or 40 bucks to get the mod done. About 150 total plus the vmoda cord is 20 bucks if I remember correctly.
3. The Vmoda model you mentioned is not a FULL SIZED headphone and is an on-ear model. It will have a total different comfort factor. I found them akward feeling on my particular dome. The M50 covers your entire ear (you are in the full sized forum BTW) and is not the most comfy thing on earth but i can definitely wear it for a while without to much irritation.

If you are looking at a portable on-ear headphone I would highly recommend gettting the JVC HA-S500. You have to import it from Japan it is not sold here yet. You can check out the S500 thread it has the bass you describe, is foldable, the cable is only 4ft long and it is only 70 bucks and sounds better than the M-50 IMO due to the fact it is not as recessed in the mids.

If you want that link for the M50 mod lemme know.

Sep 21, 2012 at 9:56 PM Post #19,183 of 29,490
ok, im disgustingly indecisive.  and ive found another option!  arrgh

i have a shure 840 which i am reasonably happy with.  but curiosity is getting the best of me, and i want to see if there is anything better sounding out there.  id like something with a wider soundstage, better separation, more clarity, maybe some higher end sparkle.  mids that are presented forward.  the bass on the 840's is generally within an acceptable volume for me, maybe a hint more punch.  i need to stay in the closed, over ear variety.  i dont need portability per se, as i wont be walking around with them, but i will be taking them back and forth between home and work.  i listen to mainly stuff in the middle to higher registers....nothing overly bass driven.  

pain of salvation
coheed and cambria
eisley
nine inch nails
dream theater
a fine frenzy
jurassic 5
pink floyd
guns n roses
tool
bright eyes
lifehouse
taylor swift

thats basically the gist of what i listen to.  

and then to top it off, id like something more comfortable than the 840's cause i listen for long hours.  oh, and ill be using a fiio e17.  i was looking at the shure 940's, and the akg 550's.....ive read up and down this forum.....and assuming the k550's fit my head.........im sure i am overthinking this, and both will probably serve me well........but what do you guys think?  which is a better fit for what im looking for?  opinions on these options are appreciated.

thanks again guys :)

Sep 21, 2012 at 10:15 PM Post #19,184 of 29,490
Thanks for the reply.  I did look at the JVC, but truth be told, I am not so sure about getting a not-so-famous set of cans"- is wat i was gonna say. Then i saw a 1.5 month old 99 page thread, filled with just "wow"s.
Let me tell u tell u something about that, when that happens, u close your eyes, take out ur card, n buy it. I m almost gonna, just pls convince me a bit more about the bass and the cable. 
- Is what I woul have said ten mins ago. Then I saw achmedisdead say this one sounds like heaven on Armin Van buren. I am sold. Done. 

PS- My soul is yours.

Sep 21, 2012 at 10:18 PM Post #19,185 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi, 

I'm looking for a pair of over-ear headphones that are around or under $140. I'm willing to look on eBay / Amazon, and the likes of those. My main use for these will be music. I'll be using these for school, so they need to be fairly light, and easily portable. 

They need to: 

- Look good
- Sound good (I like my bass, but I don't want it to drown out everything else)
- Fold up
- Be a closed headphone

I'd like, but they don't have to: 

- Have a detachable cord
- Have Noise Cancelling
- Have a matte finish
- Allow me to daisy chain

Quote:
Aw, come on. Three people post after me and get a response before me. Surely someone has some idea what headphones would fit my criteria? I'm looking at Aviators. 

Remember that the people who answer posts on this forum are doing so voluntarily and have no need to respond to any post, but do so simply because they enjoy audio and sharing it with others.

With that being said, I think the reason that you may not have gotten any responses is that you listen a lot of specific requirements, most of which do not pertain to audio quality. The first thing which you listed is looks, which are highly subjective, so it might be helpful to know some examples of headphones that look good and some that look bad.

Anyways, start by checking out this thread to see if anything fits your needs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back