++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Sep 17, 2012 at 10:25 PM Post #19,096 of 29,490
So I wanna get a nice setup of headphones and a portable amp for around 300. This is my first so i don't know what I should get.

Music genres: Rock, Blues, Jazz, Classical

Portable: Yes, it will mostly be portable as I am on a bus quite a bit.

Price range: 300

Amped: Yes, unless you convince me I don't need one.

Closed/Open: Closed, will be using them in public

Headphone preference: Not something particularly super bass heavy. I like a bit of bass, but too much is bad.

Sep 17, 2012 at 10:33 PM Post #19,097 of 29,490
Quote:
Can anyone help me? I'm looking to upgrade my portable set of cans (MDR ZX100s) to something a nicer, but still fairly cheap ($30 max, preferably less).

Some Info:
They need to be closed, don't care if it's supra aural (as long as the clamp force isn't too tight) or cirumaural, both are good to me. No IEMs please. I listen to alternative, classical, jazz, some hiphop, and rock, with a tiny bit of electronica. Artists included Radiohead, LCD Soundsystem, Gorrilaz, Orchestras, John Coltrane.

As for sound signature, I like treble that's somewhat in between grado-in-your-face and sennheiser-laid-back. So I guess "neutral" , but ever so slighty more per se. I love my mids to be there; I hate recessed mids. Mid centric headphones would be ideal. As for bass, I like it to be there, with punch and quality, but not overwhelming. Basically, I like quality bass that has presence, but is not the star of the show.

I use 10 band EQ on my portable so if there's a headphone that is close to what I'm looking for that I can EQ a little bit to fit my preferences a little better that works too!

I was looking at the Monoprice 8323 and the AKG K81DJ, if anyone has information about how these two stack up against each other, and how they would fit my needs, that would be great! And if you have other suggestions, please state them!

EDIT: And foldable too!

Thanks!

I have the monoprice 8323. Fantastic can. durable, Good sound albeit a bit on the warm side of things. Here's my review.  Check it out, it should help.

Sep 17, 2012 at 10:37 PM Post #19,098 of 29,490
Quote:
Can anyone help me? I'm looking to upgrade my portable set of cans (MDR ZX100s) to something a nicer, but still fairly cheap ($30 max, preferably less).

Some Info:
They need to be closed, don't care if it's supra aural (as long as the clamp force isn't too tight) or cirumaural, both are good to me. No IEMs please. I listen to alternative, classical, jazz, some hiphop, and rock, with a tiny bit of electronica. Artists included Radiohead, LCD Soundsystem, Gorrilaz, Orchestras, John Coltrane.

As for sound signature, I like treble that's somewhat in between grado-in-your-face and sennheiser-laid-back. So I guess "neutral" , but ever so slighty more per se. I love my mids to be there; I hate recessed mids. Mid centric headphones would be ideal. As for bass, I like it to be there, with punch and quality, but not overwhelming. Basically, I like quality bass that has presence, but is not the star of the show.

I use 10 band EQ on my portable so if there's a headphone that is close to what I'm looking for that I can EQ a little bit to fit my preferences a little better that works too!

I was looking at the Monoprice 8323 and the AKG K81DJ, if anyone has information about how these two stack up against each other, and how they would fit my needs, that would be great! And if you have other suggestions, please state them!

EDIT: And foldable too!

Thanks!

You need to wait until you can substantially increase you budget.  Don't waste your money of the Monoprice or the cheap AKG.  You already have can in that class.

Sep 17, 2012 at 10:39 PM Post #19,099 of 29,490
Quote:
So I wanna get a nice setup of headphones and a portable amp for around 300. This is my first so i don't know what I should get.

Headphone preference: Not something particularly super bass heavy. I like a bit of bass, but too much is bad.

Beyerdynamic DT 1350.  If you want to spend almost $200 less, get the KRK KNS 8400.

Sep 17, 2012 at 10:40 PM Post #19,100 of 29,490
Quote:

This should make your life a WHOLE LOT easier. The guys is...well you'll understand.

Sep 17, 2012 at 11:26 PM Post #19,102 of 29,490
Quote:

Hello, I need recommendation for my next headphone!

Who am I?
Final year engineering student. I am aiming for a first class in my degree, and i need music to study efficiently. So, a geek like me need a headphone as below:

What is your budget?
$150-$220

Are you OK with open cans?
No, I really don't want to disturb the person next to me in the library.. 

What equipment will be powering these cans?
Macbook & My Samsung Omnia 7 (yes, it's a windows phone!) 
beyersmile.png

What format of your music and other sounds will you be putting into these cans?
I listen to anything BUT orchestra, jazz and classics. I enjoy most of the top ten songs in billboard hot 100.

Do you plan to use them outside of your home?
Yes! Everywhere i go: grocery shopping, on the way to lecture, in town

Describe the sound signature that you are seeking?
I have Sennheiser hd212 Pro and Beats Solo and Studio. I am quite tired of a bassy and muddy headphones. I really want a headphone which can give me good clarity, but with a recognizable bass (but not too much bass like in Beats Studio)

To be honest, my favorite one so far is B&W P%, but its too outrageously expensive. 
frown.gif

Other Specifications:
1. Over Ear & Very Comfortable (Most important!)
3. Good Design & Durable
4. No need for battery

Did my research, and so far I am inclined to Bose AE2 since it's the most comfortable one (from my research). I have not tried it though. But there are ALOT of people going against it. 
confused_face_2.gif

Please help me for my headphone search, and need to ensure that this hard earned cash of mine is well spent. Thanks! :) 
Quote:
I'll say this once again on these boards, comfort is a very (very, very) individual thing.  About the best we can do here is to point to cans that most people find to be comfortable.  Your mileage may vary--sometimes greatly.  There is no substitute for putting thme on your own head and leaving them there for the length of your longer listening sessions.

Rerun #2:  not having an amp greatly limits your choices in this price range--especiallly for closed cans.

Recommendation: Shure SRH 840.

Regarding #2, yes, my budget would extend to $250 mark if it need to be. Do you mind listing top 5 recommendation for my headphones specification.

I am having a look in Shure SRH840.

Thanks, you are AWESOME!

Sep 17, 2012 at 11:44 PM Post #19,103 of 29,490

Quote:
I am very pleased with pairing the D5000 and the hyrid HiFiMan EF2A.

I'd check that out for my D5000 as well.
Though isn't that a tube amp? Thought tube isn't really a good pair for a D5000.
Though I might be wrong, i'll try to go to the shop and test that out.

Sep 18, 2012 at 12:04 AM Post #19,104 of 29,490
Quote:
I'd check that out for my D5000 as well.
Though isn't that a tube amp? Thought tube isn't really a good pair for a D5000.
Though I might be wrong, i'll try to go to the shop and test that out.

It's a hybrid--part tube, part solid state.  It works great for me...even better with the D7000.

Sep 18, 2012 at 12:16 AM Post #19,105 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:

Hello, I need recommendation for my next headphone!

Who am I?
Final year engineering student. I am aiming for a first class in my degree, and i need music to study efficiently. So, a geek like me need a headphone as below:

What is your budget?
$150-$220

Are you OK with open cans?
No, I really don't want to disturb the person next to me in the library.. 

What equipment will be powering these cans?
Macbook & My Samsung Omnia 7 (yes, it's a windows phone!) 
beyersmile.png

What format of your music and other sounds will you be putting into these cans?
I listen to anything BUT orchestra, jazz and classics. I enjoy most of the top ten songs in billboard hot 100.

Do you plan to use them outside of your home?
Yes! Everywhere i go: grocery shopping, on the way to lecture, in town

Describe the sound signature that you are seeking?
I have Sennheiser hd212 Pro and Beats Solo and Studio. I am quite tired of a bassy and muddy headphones. I really want a headphone which can give me good clarity, but with a recognizable bass (but not too much bass like in Beats Studio)

To be honest, my favorite one so far is B&W P%, but its too outrageously expensive. 
frown.gif

Other Specifications:
1. Over Ear & Very Comfortable (Most important!)
3. Good Design & Durable
4. No need for battery

Did my research, and so far I am inclined to Bose AE2 since it's the most comfortable one (from my research). I have not tried it though. But there are ALOT of people going against it. 
confused_face_2.gif

Please help me for my headphone search, and need to ensure that this hard earned cash of mine is well spent. Thanks! :) 
Regarding #2, yes, my budget would extend to $250 mark if it need to be. Do you mind listing top 5 recommendation for my headphones specification.

I am having a look in Shure SRH840.

Thanks, you are AWESOME!

The budget increase doesn't help much without an amp or going to open cans.  My favorite closed can within your original budget is the KRK KNS 8400, but it is bass neutral and not within your sound signature preference.  The only other can I can think of that you might like is the Sony MDR-V900HD.

Adding an amp would let you (almost) reach the Ultrasone Pro 750--which loses its bass when not properly amped..

Sep 18, 2012 at 12:30 AM Post #19,106 of 29,490
Quote:
It's a hybrid--part tube, part solid state.  It works great for me...even better with the D7000.

Sorry i'm fairly new to amping. If I may ask, what kind of improvement do you notice when you use it?
I'm really considering getting one, since I was looking for tube amps before I heard people saying that it wasn't that good for a D5000.
Since it's hybrid, things will be different I suppose and damn it looks sexy.

Sep 18, 2012 at 1:01 AM Post #19,107 of 29,490
Quote:

Sorry i'm fairly new to amping. If I may ask, what kind of improvement do you notice when you use it?
I'm really considering getting one, since I was looking for tube amps before I heard people saying that it wasn't that good for a D5000.
Since it's hybrid, things will be different I suppose and damn it looks sexy.

Before I had the EF2A, I generally used a Yamaha Adventage (modern solid state A/V receiver with a good headphone out).  Moving to  EF2A, the sound stage increased, as did my ability to hear the individual musical voices.  The highs were tamed just a bit.  My music in virtually all cases came from well recorded and mastered (with the exception of just a few clunkers) on CD's.

Sep 18, 2012 at 2:26 AM Post #19,108 of 29,490
Quote:
Before I had the EF2A, I generally used a Yamaha Adventage (modern solid state A/V receiver with a good headphone out).  Moving to  EF2A, the sound stage increased, as did my ability to hear the individual musical voices.  The highs were tamed just a bit.  My music in virtually all cases came from well recorded and mastered (with the exception of just a few clunkers) on CD's.

Thanks for the info, again. I'm taking your word for it. I've ordered the EF2A from Amazon and i'll get it in a month or so. Will let you know how the amp turns out for me :)

Sep 18, 2012 at 2:36 AM Post #19,109 of 29,490
Quote:
The budget increase doesn't help much without an amp or going to open cans.  My favorite closed can within your original budget is the KRK KNS 8400, but it is bass neutral and not within your sound signature preference.  The only other can I can think of that you might like is the Sony MDR-V900HD.

Adding an amp would let you (almost) reach the Ultrasone Pro 750--which loses its bass when not properly amped..

Alright, thanks KG Jag. Will try to get an amp in a month or so. For me now, its either Shure SRH840 or Sony MDR-V900HD. Thanks! 

Any good suggestions for my future amp? 
o2smile.gif

Cheers Mate!

Sep 18, 2012 at 3:22 AM Post #19,110 of 29,490
Quote:
Alright, thanks KG Jag. Will try to get an amp in a month or so. For me now, its either Shure SRH840 or Sony MDR-V900HD. Thanks! 

Any good suggestions for my future amp? 
o2smile.gif

Cheers Mate!

I only have desktop amps.  I don't think that's what your seeking at this point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back