++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Sep 8, 2012 at 1:55 PM Post #18,901 of 29,490
Hi guys,

I currently have only a VSonic GR06 and a Brainwavz B2, now I want to buy a Full-sized headphone up to $200.

What I listen ? Progressive Rock and Classic Rock.

The sound I want: Punchy bass (I'm not basshead), neutral or slightly forwarded mids, sparkly treble. A energetic sound, with WOW factor and average soundstage, something fun, to impress.

When I hear Pink Floyd with my GR06, I feel like the bass is lacking and the treble is a bit "dark", when I EQ it, the mids become very good. And when I use the Brainwavz B2, they have an almost perfect mids and treble, except for the lacking of bass and the 10khz frequency, which I EQ to -3dB.

The DT990 Pro + FiiO E10 does a good job or the mids are too recessed ?

Yeah the DT990's mids are somewhat recessed, but I think they are exactly what you are searching.
The have brilliant deep bass when driven correctly (E 10 would be ok, E 11 is the far better amplifier), and they have the so callled "Beyer-peak" which means that they definitly don't have recessed treble.:wink:
And they are a definitly fun, when you hear the guitars, like if the guitar-players stands in front of you.:beyersmile:
Truly energetic cans.
I would advice listening to a pair of them before buying, to be on the safe side.
Some people get headache when listening to the DT990's, but maybe because they are poorly driven.:D

+1 on dt 990. I have 32 ohm premiums and even they are so nice to my ears i cant seem to take them off my head. Also the comfort is second to none.

Edit: Also on the mids... I agree with the helpful advice i got when i ordered mine that the mids are NOT recessed since to be recessed they would have to be LESS than 0db but more that the colored bass and sparkly highs stand out more. If that makes sense.

Sep 8, 2012 at 2:54 PM Post #18,902 of 29,490
Thanks for the advices.
Here where I live, I can't test any headphone, so I need to buy it without hearing...
I'll see if I can get the DT990 Pro, about the highs, I don't mind, coming from the B2, I don't think it can be more agressive...
If I can't get the DT, would the Alessandro MS1i be a good trade ?

thanks

Sep 8, 2012 at 3:14 PM Post #18,903 of 29,490
Quote:
Thanks for the advices.
Here where I live, I can't test any headphone, so I need to buy it without hearing...
I'll see if I can get the DT990 Pro, about the highs, I don't mind, coming from the B2, I don't think it can be more agressive...
If I can't get the DT, would the Alessandro MS1i be a good trade ?

thanks

yes it would, the Alessandro MS1i will fit with your sound description that you wanted, i have a MS1i and a DT880/600 ohm so i can say that the MS1i have more forward in terms of mid compare to the dt880 due to it's small soundstage but the mid can be sounded thin though

Sep 8, 2012 at 3:42 PM Post #18,904 of 29,490
Does anyone have any experience with Somic phones beyond the gamer headphones they sale. I'm specifically looking for info for their MH-463 (open) and MH-489 (closed) models. Just looking for the next BFTB set of cans.

Sep 8, 2012 at 9:27 PM Post #18,905 of 29,490
Hey! I'm looking for a good pair of closed over-ear headphones under $500. I listen to mostly hardcore/metal, but a lot of other genres as well and I listen on my 160GB iPod Classic (just AAC files), hopefully I'll be getting a Fiio E7 as an amp soon.

I currently have a pair of Sennheiser HD 558 and they're awesome! Just not good for on-the-go use seeing as their open, have a huge cable and bulky jack. So pretty much what I'm looking for is:

- Closed
- Over-ear
- Good for metal/hardcore
- Under $500
- Short cable
- Good for on-the-go

Thanks!

P.S. The new Sennheiser Momentum is looking AWESOME, any idea if they might suit my needs? Also been looking at the Denon AH-D600EM and Beyerdynamic T70 P. Of course, I'm open to any other suggestions.

Sep 9, 2012 at 12:59 AM Post #18,906 of 29,490
Quote:

I said I liked the SRH 440's. Im not sure how exactly to describe my sound signature, but

I like just a little bass (I want it to be present, so as to be able to hear bass lines on a rock/metal song, but not the loud thud that overpowers everything else)

I like my mids and treble's. Most of my music has a lot of vocals/guitars.

I don't mind experimenting with slightly different sound signatures though, to figure out better what I like. So far I've only owned, A Sr60, a couple of pairs of sennheiser px 200, sennheiser hd 515, shure srh440 and portapros.

I don't detect any reason for you to change from the 440.

Sep 9, 2012 at 1:03 AM Post #18,907 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi guys,
I currently have only a VSonic GR06 and a Brainwavz B2, now I want to buy a Full-sized headphone up to $200.
What I listen ? Progressive Rock and Classic Rock.
The sound I want: Punchy bass (I'm not basshead), neutral or slightly forwarded mids, sparkly treble. A energetic sound, with WOW factor and average soundstage, something fun, to impress.

When I hear Pink Floyd with my GR06, I feel like the bass is lacking and the treble is a bit "dark", when I EQ it, the mids become very good. And when I use the Brainwavz B2, they have an almost perfect mids and treble, except for the lacking of bass and the 10khz frequency, which I EQ to -3dB.

The DT990 Pro + FiiO E10 does a good job or the mids are too recessed ?

You would probably like the Ultrasone Pro 750.  A new one is $25 to $35 over your budget.  It needs an amp.

Sep 9, 2012 at 1:05 AM Post #18,908 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello,

I'm new to the audiophile world and I'm looking to purchase my first set of mid-fi headphones. Right now I own a pair of AKG 240 Studios and an O2 amp with ODAC.

The most important thing I'm looking for in a headphone is detail. The main thing I will be using these phones for is long listening sessions. I listen to all kinds of music so the headphone I buy should be a good all-rounder. I would say that I listen to music more critically than I do passively (I like to listen to the combination of instruments and sounds in my music). It would be beneficial if I could use these phones for mixing as well so an overall neutral sound signature would be ideal.

The headphones I have been considering are the Sennheiser HD 600's and 650's and also the Hifiman He-400. Any recommendations would be extremely helpful.

Thanks for your help in advance.

The most neutral of the three is the HD 600

Sep 9, 2012 at 1:07 AM Post #18,909 of 29,490
Quote:
Okay so my search for the right open headphone is nearing a draw. I just want to know which bass slams harder, on either the q701 or the sr225i stock. [I really wish B&H had these on display] Thanks :)

If you're looking for strong slamming bass, you need to look beyond these two cans.

Sep 9, 2012 at 1:17 AM Post #18,910 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey! I'm looking for a good pair of closed over-ear headphones under $500. I listen to mostly hardcore/metal, but a lot of other genres as well and I listen on my 160GB iPod Classic (just AAC files), hopefully I'll be getting a Fiio E7 as an amp soon.

I currently have a pair of Sennheiser HD 558 and they're awesome! Just not good for on-the-go use seeing as their open, have a huge cable and bulky jack. So pretty much what I'm looking for is:

- Closed
- Over-ear
- Good for metal/hardcore
- Under $500
- Short cable
- Good for on-the-go

Thanks!

P.S. The new Sennheiser Momentum is looking AWESOME, any idea if they might suit my needs? Also been looking at the Denon AH-D600EM and Beyerdynamic T70 P. Of course, I'm open to any other suggestions.

Don't know if it's worth it--and I have only heard its cousins--but the Beyerdynamic T 70 P seems to be a good match for your requirements.

Sep 9, 2012 at 1:27 AM Post #18,911 of 29,490
New user here looking for some guidance and sticking to the clump thread.

I currently use SteelSeries Siberia V2 on my gaming rig through motherboard sound [insert audiophile scoff here]. I am looking to upgrade to actual, audiophile headphones for music in the $100-200 range, but I am primarily concerned on them being suitable for gaming (all genres). I've been browsing the headphone guide by price range to get some ideas, but I was also wondering if upgrading from mobo sound would be necessary if I do end up getting headphones in that price range - it's hard to find a solid answer and seems to vary from headphone to headphones.

The Audio Technica AD700 or AD900s caught my eye at first, except the lack of real deep bass apparently - amazon has them for $218 when the retail on ATHs site is $300. Would it be safe to buy from amazon? I know it's common for counterfeiters, so I'm weary.

Sep 9, 2012 at 1:33 AM Post #18,912 of 29,490
Quote:
New user here looking for some guidance and sticking to the clump thread.

I currently use SteelSeries Siberia V2 on my gaming rig through motherboard sound [insert audiophile scoff here]. I am looking to upgrade to actual, audiophile headphones for music in the $100-200 range, but I am primarily concerned on them being suitable for gaming (all genres). I've been browsing the headphone guide by price range to get some ideas, but I was also wondering if upgrading from mobo sound would be necessary if I do end up getting headphones in that price range - it's hard to find a solid answer and seems to vary from headphone to headphones.

The Audio Technica AD700 or AD900s caught my eye at first, except the lack of real deep bass apparently - amazon has them for $218 when the retail on ATHs site is $300. Would it be safe to buy from amazon? I know it's common for counterfeiters, so I'm weary.

Wait--per your link you are buying them from a third party seller through Amazon.  The sellers I see have high ratings and many customers.  That's good. 

Have you done your due dilligence to research whether fakes of these models are a problem?  Are any of these sellers authorized AT dealers?

Sep 9, 2012 at 1:35 AM Post #18,913 of 29,490
Quote:
Wait--per your link you are buying them from a third party seller through Amazon.  The sellers I see have high ratings and many customers.  That's good. 

Have you done your due dilligence to research whether fakes of these models are a problem?  Are any of these sellers authorized AT dealers?

That particular seller has good ratings, but I do not know personally that these particular headphones are commonly counterfeited. I just know on amazon, especially with high quality items, that a lot of companies sell counterfeits.

Sep 9, 2012 at 1:42 AM Post #18,914 of 29,490
I am looking to upgrade after selling my Senn PXC 450's, which I regretfully purchased...Here is what I use headphones for

-Game ( I play a lot of MMORPG's as well as FPS - so ambiance sound is crucial)
-Music ( pretty much every genre from Rap to classical)
-Movies ( I watch a lot of movies on my computer)
-Preferences ( I don't have a whole lot, but I do like some decent bass, without having to AMP)

- I am sort of torn between open and closed headphones. I usually prefer closed, because I live with roommates and I would rather the sound not leak out where you can hear it outside of my room), but I am considering open....just not sure if I do want to go that route. And, I haven't really ever had open headphones...so I don't really know how much sound leaks out...but I guess it depends on the cans in question.

-I also usually like to buy new headphones. When buying used I just don't know what the person has done with them (i.e. dropped them several times or pulled the cord out and repaired it...ect...ect)

Here is a couple cans I have been looking at......

-ATH-M50's
-DT 770 Pros
-Senn HD 598s (At my max on Amazon)
-Denon AH-D2000s (If I can find them in my price range)
-Audio Technica A700's

Overall Im just looking for some well rounded headphones. Great for Gaming, Music, and Movies. Decent Bass would be nice. (Was going to purchase a Fiio E7 if they didn't have it)  I want to try open back  headphones (Sennheiser HD 598's) but I'm afraid they might leak too much sound, though I've never had open back so I wouldn't have a good idea.

Any suggestions would be super helpful.

Kyle

Sep 9, 2012 at 1:53 AM Post #18,915 of 29,490
Quote:
I am looking to upgrade after selling my Senn PXC 450's, which I regretfully purchased...Here is what I use headphones for

-Game ( I play a lot of MMORPG's as well as FPS - so ambiance sound is crucial)
-Music ( pretty much every genre from Rap to classical)
-Movies ( I watch a lot of movies on my computer)
-Preferences ( I don't have a whole lot, but I do like some decent bass, without having to AMP)

- I am sort of torn between open and closed headphones. I usually prefer closed, because I live with roommates and I would rather the sound not leak out where you can hear it outside of my room), but I am considering open....just not sure if I do want to go that route. And, I haven't really ever had open headphones...so I don't really know how much sound leaks out...but I guess it depends on the cans in question.

-I also usually like to buy new headphones. When buying used I just don't know what the person has done with them (i.e. dropped them several times or pulled the cord out and repaired it...ect...ect)

Here is a couple cans I have been looking at......

-ATH-M50's
-DT 770 Pros
-Senn HD 598s (At my max on Amazon)
-Denon AH-D2000s (If I can find them in my price range)
-Audio Technica A700's

Overall Im just looking for some well rounded headphones. Great for Gaming, Music, and Movies. Decent Bass would be nice. (Was going to purchase a Fiio E7 if they didn't have it)  I want to try open back  headphones (Sennheiser HD 598's) but I'm afraid they might leak too much sound, though I've never had open back so I wouldn't have a good idea.

Any suggestions would be super helpful.

Kyle

Well I'm sorry but i can speak for anything currently on your list. However I would advise considering the Shure SRH-840. It's a great all rounder. It has a fantastic sound stage, closed can considering. Relatively balanced. Maybe a smidge mid emphasis. Built like a tank.Hope that helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back