++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Sep 5, 2012 at 1:08 PM Post #18,811 of 29,490
Quote:
funny enough I saw the HF2 for sale on local ads recently.
I'd prefer not losing out on too much detail in the name of engagement =/
And I listen to rock/japanese rock (which is what I wanted the engagement for).

I don't think the PS500/HF2 is less detailed than other headphones in it's price bracket. It just isn't tuned to emphasize detail, much like the LCD-2. It's still more etched than the HD 580/600, if that helps.

The AD2000 might suit you better if you want more treble presence and wow factor.

Sep 5, 2012 at 1:20 PM Post #18,812 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi, I currently own a pair of ATH-M50s and am seeking to perhaps buy a new pair of headphones for home listening, rather than travelling when I use my M50s. Preferably I'm looking to spend no more than twice what I paid for the M50s which means about £200 is my upper limit. But I am willing to compromise if it seems worth it.
My source is either a vinyl player or a Cowon D2 which both go through a rotel ra-05 amp. I'm not sure if it will help greatly to give a sample of the music I listen to, as my taste invariably changes with the seasons, but I'll list some artists anyway:
Currently I'm listening to a lot of IDM, breakcore, ambient type stuff - Squarepusher, Amon Tobin, Aphex Twin, Lorn, Loscil, Gas, Baths, Minecraft Volume Alpha, Burial.
And then I listen to assorted things like Can, Ty Segall, Elliot Smith, Roy Harper, Tame Impala. I could go on, I really am not confined by genre borders, I'll listen to anything that I can appreciate.
On my vinyl player I've started listening to Miles Davis and Coltrane, jazz is something I'm just starting to get into
smily_headphones1.gif

I don't know what conclusions to draw from that list but I guess I like the ambience, textures and character that is evoked by a song or an album. So I think in my new headphones I'm looking for accuracy and high resolution throughout the entire range.
I'm not fussed about bass for the sake of bass, I've enjoyed the bass presentation of the M50s. With the M50s I feel like I might be missing the mid and upper ranges of music slightly. I'd like something to contrast against the closed sound of the M50s too, something more airy I suppose.
Beyond sound signature, I'm looking for comfort, I find the M50s can hurt my ears after a while (I think I need to replace the pleather pads).
Thanks in advance for your help.

I was thinking about the HD 600 for jazz in your price range. I like how the headphone can sound lush while maintaining a decent pace. Works well for the Charles Mingus and Miles Davis tracks in my collection.

I would want an ortho for your ambient music. The black background and excellent sub bass extension would really help here. Budget wouldn't really work for this though. Might want to demo an HD 600 and see if works for you as an all-rounder as it's a big step above the M50 in general. You can also try saving up for the HE-400. 

Sep 5, 2012 at 3:25 PM Post #18,815 of 29,490
I was thinking about the HD 600 for jazz in your price range. I like how the headphone can sound lush while maintaining a decent pace. Works well for the Charles Mingus and Miles Davis tracks in my collection.

I would want an ortho for your ambient music. The black background and excellent sub bass extension would really help here. Budget wouldn't really work for this though. Might want to demo an HD 600 and see if works for you as an all-rounder as it's a big step above the M50 in general. You can also try saving up for the HE-400. 

Yeah people seem to have a lot of good things to say about the 600s.

Some other phones I was considering are the DT880, ATH-AD900 and the HD598.

Anybody have any pointers in regard to these phones? I'll probably go to the shop and demo them at some point if I get a chance.

Sep 5, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #18,818 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi, I currently own a pair of ATH-M50s and am seeking to perhaps buy a new pair of headphones for home listening, rather than travelling when I use my M50s. Preferably I'm looking to spend no more than twice what I paid for the M50s which means about £200 is my upper limit. But I am willing to compromise if it seems worth it.
My source is either a vinyl player or a Cowon D2 which both go through a rotel ra-05 amp. I'm not sure if it will help greatly to give a sample of the music I listen to, as my taste invariably changes with the seasons, but I'll list some artists anyway:
Currently I'm listening to a lot of IDM, breakcore, ambient type stuff - Squarepusher, Amon Tobin, Aphex Twin, Lorn, Loscil, Gas, Baths, Minecraft Volume Alpha, Burial.
And then I listen to assorted things like Can, Ty Segall, Elliot Smith, Roy Harper, Tame Impala. I could go on, I really am not confined by genre borders, I'll listen to anything that I can appreciate.
On my vinyl player I've started listening to Miles Davis and Coltrane, jazz is something I'm just starting to get into
smily_headphones1.gif

I don't know what conclusions to draw from that list but I guess I like the ambience, textures and character that is evoked by a song or an album. So I think in my new headphones I'm looking for accuracy and high resolution throughout the entire range.
I'm not fussed about bass for the sake of bass, I've enjoyed the bass presentation of the M50s. With the M50s I feel like I might be missing the mid and upper ranges of music slightly. I'd like something to contrast against the closed sound of the M50s too, something more airy I suppose.
Beyond sound signature, I'm looking for comfort, I find the M50s can hurt my ears after a while (I think I need to replace the pleather pads).
Thanks in advance for your help.

The usual former flagships (and an updated sibling) the Senn HD 600 & 650, AKG Q701, Beyer DT 880 (+/- Pro) of at least 250 Ohms come to mind.  Not sure how any are priced in the UK.  All are open or semi-open.

Sep 5, 2012 at 9:02 PM Post #18,821 of 29,490
I'm looking for some new headphones after my Grado 60i went kaput. Both over and on ear are perfectly fine as long as its comfortable to wear. I use my headphones everywhere so durability is important and some noise blocking action would be a plus since I live in a city. I listen to instrumental, techno and soft/alternative rock. My budget is in the $100 - $200 range. I also want to note that my player is a IAudio9 from Cowon and I listen to FLAC files.

Sep 6, 2012 at 3:58 AM Post #18,822 of 29,490
Ok, I decided to buy a Shure SRH840. Thanks to KG Jag.

I can buy it from Amazon.com but not sure about its warranty. Does it have international warranty or I must send it back to USA?

Or I can buy it from my country (Turkey). Like I said before, Amazon's price is about 140$, in my country, about 280$.

Do you guys know about that warranty issue? Which one should I prefer?

Sep 6, 2012 at 4:05 AM Post #18,823 of 29,490
Quote:
Ok, I decided to buy a Shure SRH840. Thanks to KG Jag.

I can buy it from Amazon.com but not sure about its warranty. Does it have international warranty or I must send it back to USA?

Or I can buy it from my country (Turkey). Like I said before, Amazon's price is about 140$, in my country, about 280$.

Do you guys know about that warranty issue? Which one should I prefer?

I don't know, but I bet the Shure folks do:

http://www.shure.eu/countries/europe/turkey

Users who are viewing this thread

Back