++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Sep 5, 2012 at 3:31 AM Post #18,799 of 29,490
Quote:
I asked myself the same question. I spent some time wih both at Best Buy. i liked the sound of the HDJ2000 more, but that might be because of the earpads went around my ear, while the HDJ1500 went on/against. However since the price gap is so large, I'd be tempted to just use the 2000 pads on a 1500. The higher price on the 2000 is also for the lighter yet stronger metal used for the frame. I'd gladly pay for that durability if you use your headphones outside.

Cheers for that. I reckon I might go for the 1500s and go from there as to which pads I prefer. If necessary I'll get 2000 pads for them.

Sep 5, 2012 at 4:09 AM Post #18,800 of 29,490
Quote:
It is a nice $75 to $100 can here.  However, all the cans I listed earlier beat it.  I slightly prefer the Sony MDRZX700 to the 440.

Ok. Here is the prices:

Shure SRH 440: 140$
Shure SRH 840: 280$

I did't find the ZX700 yet.

Also there is a possibility that one of my friend can bring it to me from USA (like amazon).

I think I should buy Shure SRH 840 or Sony MDR-V900HD from amazon.

Sep 5, 2012 at 4:29 AM Post #18,801 of 29,490
Quote:
Ok. Here is the prices:

Shure SRH 440: 140$
Shure SRH 840: 280$

I did't find the ZX700 yet.

Also there is a possibility that one of my friend can bring it to me from USA (like amazon).

I think I should buy Shure SRH 840 or Sony MDR-V900HD from amazon.

Either is a good choice.  Are your plans to buy from the U.S. flavor of Amazon?

Sep 5, 2012 at 6:31 AM Post #18,803 of 29,490
Quote:
Either is a good choice.  Are your plans to buy from the U.S. flavor of Amazon?

Also there is Beyerdynamic DT 990. I don't have a headphone amplifier but its price is the same.

And Sennheiser HD 25-1 II.

What do you think about them?

And also, are they (including shure srh840 etc.) good for listening music, watching movie and playing games?

Sep 5, 2012 at 6:37 AM Post #18,804 of 29,490
Hi,
I'm new in this forum and been looking for a new headphones for my main system.

I always use my infinity kappa speakers to listen music but with a new baby in house it becames difficult and don't like to use my current Sennheiser HD515 because i felt they have no life inside them.

So, i'm looking for your opinions since i don't know this market.

With my portable and iphone i love the sound of  Sennheiser px100, so i'd like the new headphone sound like this.

The phones will be drive by a rega ear or a lehmanaudio Rhinelander wich i have for testing.

My dealer also advice for a Sennheiser HD700, which are inside my budget 500 Eur/700 USD.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Sep 5, 2012 at 7:56 AM Post #18,805 of 29,490
Quote:
Also there is Beyerdynamic DT 990. I don't have a headphone amplifier but its price is the same.

And Sennheiser HD 25-1 II.

What do you think about them?

And also, are they (including shure srh840 etc.) good for listening music, watching movie and playing games?

The DT 990 has a deep "V" shaped EQ, which means recessed mids and therefore not good for guitar.  The Senn is designed for use with portable equipment like an iPod.  It's good for it's intended use but not so great for other pairings.

Generally speaking open cans are better for games and movies because they tend to have bigger sound stages.  I have not tested any of the cans discussed outside listening to music.

Sep 5, 2012 at 7:58 AM Post #18,806 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi,
I'm new in this forum and been looking for a new headphones for my main system.

I always use my infinity kappa speakers to listen music but with a new baby in house it becames difficult and don't like to use my current Sennheiser HD515 because i felt they have no life inside them.

So, i'm looking for your opinions since i don't know this market.

With my portable and iphone i love the sound of  Sennheiser px100, so i'd like the new headphone sound like this.

The phones will be drive by a rega ear or a lehmanaudio Rhinelander wich i have for testing.

My dealer also advice for a Sennheiser HD700, which are inside my budget 500 Eur/700 USD.

Thanks in advance for your help,

The best headphone for $700 is the HiFiMan HE-500--hands down (U.S. prices).  It takes a hefty amp to push it properly.

Sep 5, 2012 at 10:11 AM Post #18,807 of 29,490
I'm looking to get headphones that are engaging and exciting.
Right now I have the HD800 and LCD2.
I'm willing to get other equipment (amps, dacs, whatever can be recommended).

I heard good things about the high end AT headphones (such as the L3000?) but have never tried any of the flagship ATs.

Sep 5, 2012 at 10:42 AM Post #18,808 of 29,490
Quote:
I'm looking to get headphones that are engaging and exciting.
Right now I have the HD800 and LCD2.
I'm willing to get other equipment (amps, dacs, whatever can be recommended).
I heard good things about the high end AT headphones (such as the L3000?) but have never tried any of the flagship ATs.

Are you looking for something a bit less reference and a bit more forward? I've got an AD1000PRM and a HF2 for that purpose. 

The AD1000PRM is quick, airy, and has a tilt towards the upper mids/lower treble. It has good bass extension, but actual bass quantity is lacking. Good for acoustic rock and female vocals.

HF2 has more bass impact, less of a treble emphasis, and less air. It's still a quick headphone. Works well with modern rock, pop, and some jazz.

Neither headphone measures particularly well, but they are a good contrast with my more technical Senns and Hifiman. Amping requirements are very low, with the AD1000PRM having the same sensitivity as most iems.

While the AD1000PRM and HF2 are out of production, they sound very similar to the AD2000 and PS500 respectively. 

Sep 5, 2012 at 10:50 AM Post #18,809 of 29,490
Are you looking for something a bit less reference and a bit more forward? I've got an AD1000PRM and a HF2 for that purpose. 

The AD1000PRM is quick, airy, and has a tilt towards the upper mids/lower treble. It has good bass extension, but actual bass quantity is lacking. Good for acoustic rock and female vocals.

HF2 has more bass impact, less of a treble emphasis, and less air. It's still a quick headphone. Works well with modern rock, pop, and some jazz.

Neither headphone measures particularly well, but they are a good contrast with my more technical Senns and Hifiman. Amping requirements are very low, with the AD1000PRM having the same sensitivity as most iems.

While the AD1000PRM and HF2 are out of production, they sound very similar to the AD2000 and PS500 respectively. 

funny enough I saw the HF2 for sale on local ads recently.
I'd prefer not losing out on too much detail in the name of engagement =/
And I listen to rock/japanese rock (which is what I wanted the engagement for).

Sep 5, 2012 at 12:19 PM Post #18,810 of 29,490
Hi, I currently own a pair of ATH-M50s and am seeking to perhaps buy a new pair of headphones for home listening, rather than travelling when I use my M50s. Preferably I'm looking to spend no more than twice what I paid for the M50s which means about £200 is my upper limit. But I am willing to compromise if it seems worth it.

My source is either a vinyl player or a Cowon D2 which both go through a rotel ra-05 amp. I'm not sure if it will help greatly to give a sample of the music I listen to, as my taste invariably changes with the seasons, but I'll list some artists anyway:

Currently I'm listening to a lot of IDM, breakcore, ambient type stuff - Squarepusher, Amon Tobin, Aphex Twin, Lorn, Loscil, Gas, Baths, Minecraft Volume Alpha, Burial.

And then I listen to assorted things like Can, Ty Segall, Elliot Smith, Roy Harper, Tame Impala. I could go on, I really am not confined by genre borders, I'll listen to anything that I can appreciate.

On my vinyl player I've started listening to Miles Davis and Coltrane, jazz is something I'm just starting to get into :)

I don't know what conclusions to draw from that list but I guess I like the ambience, textures and character that is evoked by a song or an album. So I think in my new headphones I'm looking for accuracy and high resolution throughout the entire range.
I'm not fussed about bass for the sake of bass, I've enjoyed the bass presentation of the M50s. With the M50s I feel like I might be missing the mid and upper ranges of music slightly. I'd like something to contrast against the closed sound of the M50s too, something more airy I suppose.

Beyond sound signature, I'm looking for comfort, I find the M50s can hurt my ears after a while (I think I need to replace the pleather pads).

Thanks in advance for your help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back