++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Aug 30, 2012 at 5:00 AM Post #18,571 of 29,490
Quote:
What exactly do you mean by presence? Are you looking for more impact in the bass, more sparkle in the treble? I just want to understand what you are thinking so that I can hopefully help you out a bit.

Thanks for the help! I've just had trouble putting my finger on what I am looking for. I want a bit more impact in the bass without sacrificing clarity in the mids/highs. What do you mean by sparkle in the treble?

Aug 30, 2012 at 5:06 AM Post #18,572 of 29,490
Quote:
Greeting to all

I was comparing two headphones frequency response graph and other tech-specifications : Koss KSC75 and Sennheiser HD 238 and discovered that they have nearly same sound signature, So I think that spending 50 $ is worthless for Senn when I can have Koss for 10$? (please see attached image)

Do you agree or disagree ?

Yes bass on Senn is better but I don't care, otherwise they are approximately same. Even more - Harmonic Distortion of a 500Hz Sine Wave Input is better on Koss. (reviews shows that bass on Koss is pretty enough)

If you have any information regarding or relating this issue please comment

And one more please... anyone knows anything about Panasonic RP-HTF600-S? have anyone seen Fr. resp. graph of Audio-technica ATH M30?

ALSO IF YOU KNOW ANY BETTER HEADPHONE AMONG 50-55 $ PRICE RANGE COMMENT PLS. (I prefer lower price
triportsad.gif
)

P.S. I am listening mainly classical music so I prefer neutral well defined sound with little fun :)

Suit yourself, but I recommend you use your ears first before you get to the graphs.  You may be surprised otherwise--and especially (but not exclusively) so with budget cans.

Aug 30, 2012 at 5:10 AM Post #18,573 of 29,490
Quote:
Thanks for the help! I've just had trouble putting my finger on what I am looking for. I want a bit more impact in the bass without sacrificing clarity in the mids/highs. What do you mean by sparkle in the treble?

If the Ultrasone Pro 900 don't do it for you, then you're probably out of luck.

Aug 30, 2012 at 5:12 AM Post #18,574 of 29,490
Quote:

Treble sparkle (from my understanding) is another way of describing the quality and emphasis of the treble. Ultrasones tend to have a lot of treble sparkle as they have some peaks in the upper frequencies.

Foryour genres I really think that Ultrasone is one of the best choices. If you want some more impact in the bass you could look at another model such as the Pro 900 if you want tons of impact, or the Pro 750 if you want a little less bass and want to save some money. Both of these are closed if that matters

Aug 30, 2012 at 3:26 PM Post #18,575 of 29,490
So, I'm in the market for some portable headphones, and I'm going to assume this thread is acceptable for this question.

I am not looking for IEM's and would be OK with full sized headphones as long as they fold up to some degree. Noise isolation is quite important as it will be used primarily on a bus and other means of travel. I own a Fiio E11 so impedance isn't a large issue.

- Price $200 or less (would jump to 250 if it would be really worth it)
- Primary music will be mostly house, trance and general electronic. So decent bass would be preferred
- Needs good isolation and portability

I unfortunately don't have the time to do much reading up but when i was looking at these types of headphones before the HD 25-1 ii's were a primary pick, but i am not sure if there is now better out there. I've also heard good things about the ultrasone's for my genre of music but am uncertain as to what one to look at.

Aug 30, 2012 at 3:30 PM Post #18,576 of 29,490
Hi all,

I know you must get so many of these threads, so I'm trying to avoid all the common pitfalls (Beats, Bose...) and I'd love it if you could hear me out nonetheless.
I also do not expect you to do all the work and give me 1 model which I should buy. But some would be great.

Ages ago, I received Bose QC2 as a gift. I never wanted headphones so it was one of those things where I always assumed they were perfect (I knew no others).
They did do their jobs perfectly until recently, and I got into music with them. Then, after 7 years or something they are starting to fall apart and sound quality is noticeably .... worn out or something.

So, things that are making my search a headache in combination:
- my music taste is progressive house etc. etc. so I do like my bass (but not intense like dubstep). Vocals are important to me in my genre too - sound quality needs to be better than QC2.
- noise exclusion: as a student in a shared house I like being able to listen to things loud without disturbing someone in the next room (paper thin walls). Also applies to public areas.
- because the QC2 were noise cancelling, I got used to using them to travel. This is a feature I'd like to keep, but I'm afraid to just go for QC15 without asking here first.
- I have issues with massive headphones. I need something that I can wear (admittedly like the QC2) which are light, more or less discrete, and don't scream LOOK AT THESE!

I hope these points make sense. Please ask if you have any doubts.

As for price: I'd rather leave this for later as a final tool to narrow down. But obviously below $1000 would a good start (lol).

I've been around some sites and have still not been able to reach a decision. Would be great to get some feedback!

Many thanks all, and I really appreciate this.

Guillaume

Aug 30, 2012 at 4:25 PM Post #18,577 of 29,490
I'm tossed and need some help. I'm in need of a set of portable cans. My first pair of cans were the Superlux 668B and they are great but not portable. So I'm looking for something that will isolate and not leak much. I need something that will handle bass pretty well so I can move on to other cans to handle the other genres I listen too. Rap, rnb, club and maybe some dubstep (new to this but heard some that I like) is what this set will be used for primarily. So the 3 I'm looking at is the M50's, V80's and the Phiaton Moderna MS 400's. Price can go just a little over $200. I'm also considering just buying 2 pairs of $100 cans or trying to mix it up with a few used sets to get the most bang out of my money.

Now, I've stumbled across the Ultrasone hfi-580 for $120 and they have sparked my interest. This would allow me to get a Fiio E11 and slide in under my budget. Choices, choices, I need some help fellas. I'm a little concerned about the clamping force for the hfi-580's.

Any help would be appreciated.

Aug 30, 2012 at 4:33 PM Post #18,578 of 29,490
Quote:
I'm tossed and need some help. I'm in need of a set of portable cans. My first pair of cans were the Superlux 668B and they are great but not portable. So I'm looking for something that will isolate and not leak much. I need something that will handle bass pretty well so I can move on to other cans to handle the other genres I listen too. Rap, rnb, club and maybe some dubstep (new to this but heard some that I like) is what this set will be used for primarily. So the 3 I'm looking at is the M50's, V80's and the Phiaton Moderna MS 400's. Price can go just a little over $200. I'm also considering just buying 2 pairs of $100 cans or trying to mix it up with a few used sets to get the most bang out of my money.

Now, I've stumbled across the Ultrasone hfi-580 for $120 and they have sparked my interest. This would allow me to get a Fiio E11 and slide in under my budget. Choices, choices, I need some help fellas. I'm a little concerned about the clamping force for the hfi-580's.

Any help would be appreciated.

The HFI 580 would be good, but the e11 would be unnecessary for it. I had the DJ1 Pro (same as Pro550) and while there was a good amount of clamping force, I didn't find it bothersome until after a couple of hours. I would recommend Ultrasone for the type of music you will be using these for.

Aug 30, 2012 at 4:53 PM Post #18,579 of 29,490
So, I'm in the market for some portable headphones, and I'm going to assume this thread is acceptable for this question.

I am not looking for IEM's and would be OK with full sized headphones as long as they fold up to some degree. Noise isolation is quite important as it will be used primarily on a bus and other means of travel. I own a Fiio E11 so impedance isn't a large issue.

- Price $200 or less (would jump to 250 if it would be really worth it)
- Primary music will be mostly house, trance and general electronic. So decent bass would be preferred
- Needs good isolation and portability

I unfortunately don't have the time to do much reading up but when i was looking at these types of headphones before the HD 25-1 ii's were a primary pick, but i am not sure if there is now better out there. I've also heard good things about the ultrasone's for my genre of music but am uncertain as to what one to look at.

IMO those senheisers would suit you well. The ath m50 is the pair i have that i love that has better isolation from the noises on the bus and leak less. They do fold reasonably well but they are bigger overall to the hd25-1 ii obviously. If you just search the m50 u can see if the sound will match your taste. Im thinking it will. Lots of guys like to recommend the shure closed cans here but i cant help u there. Havent had the pleasure of owning a pair (yet).

Dont think you will go wrong with your first pick either. Good luck.

Aug 30, 2012 at 5:08 PM Post #18,580 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi all,

I know you must get so many of these threads, so I'm trying to avoid all the common pitfalls (Beats, Bose...) and I'd love it if you could hear me out nonetheless.
I also do not expect you to do all the work and give me 1 model which I should buy. But some would be great.

Ages ago, I received Bose QC2 as a gift. I never wanted headphones so it was one of those things where I always assumed they were perfect (I knew no others).
They did do their jobs perfectly until recently, and I got into music with them. Then, after 7 years or something they are starting to fall apart and sound quality is noticeably .... worn out or something.

So, things that are making my search a headache in combination:
- my music taste is progressive house etc. etc. so I do like my bass (but not intense like dubstep). Vocals are important to me in my genre too - sound quality needs to be better than QC2.
- noise exclusion: as a student in a shared house I like being able to listen to things loud without disturbing someone in the next room (paper thin walls). Also applies to public areas.
- because the QC2 were noise cancelling, I got used to using them to travel. This is a feature I'd like to keep, but I'm afraid to just go for QC15 without asking here first.
- I have issues with massive headphones. I need something that I can wear (admittedly like the QC2) which are light, more or less discrete, and don't scream LOOK AT THESE!

I hope these points make sense. Please ask if you have any doubts.

As for price: I'd rather leave this for later as a final tool to narrow down. But obviously below $1000 would a good start (lol).

I've been around some sites and have still not been able to reach a decision. Would be great to get some feedback!

Many thanks all, and I really appreciate this.

Guillaume

If you want active noise cancelling then get the QC15. If you are open to passive isolation which is created by a closed headphone that creates a good seal on your ears to block out outside noise, then there are many options that will have much better sound quality. If you plan to use these mostly while in your room as opposed to flying on planes or public transit, then I would recommend you consider passive noise cancelling.

From your requirements it looks like your needs are:
Closed
Comfortable
Over-ear?
Portable/semi-portable
"V" shaped sound signature for electronic music (emphasis on bass and treble)

The things that would be helpful to know are:
How will you be using these? At a desk, for travel, etc
Do the headphones need to be able to fold up or fold flat?
What will you listen to these from? Laptop, iPod, DAC/amp
Will you purchase an amp if necessary?

If you can further elaborate on these than we may be able to give you some better recommendations.

Aug 30, 2012 at 5:36 PM Post #18,581 of 29,490
OK. As some of you might or might not know, I bought a pair of Grado SR80i.  Istill don't have the phones in my hands (or my head) since they're stationed at the custom waiting for the whatever proccess imported items go through.

Anyways, I started to read some people say that Grado headphones will make los quality MP3 sound even worse and good quality MP3 sound even better... and I then realised I have a mix in my iPod that goes from 128Kbps to 320 Kbps this caused because some of them are rips I made from my own albums while others are .... uhm... from someone else library (My Amon Amarth albums have a very crappy quality)

My question is. What's the minimum quality an mp3 should have?
A friend of mine has most (if not all) of my music (we share the same taste) and he can give me a backup of all his MP3 but ... what's the point if his mp3 are low quality?

Aug 30, 2012 at 5:52 PM Post #18,583 of 29,490
Quote:
IMO those senheisers would suit you well. The ath m50 is the pair i have that i love that has better isolation from the noises on the bus and leak less. They do fold reasonably well but they are bigger overall to the hd25-1 ii obviously. If you just search the m50 u can see if the sound will match your taste. Im thinking it will. Lots of guys like to recommend the shure closed cans here but i cant help u there. Havent had the pleasure of owning a pair (yet).
Dont think you will go wrong with your first pick either. Good luck.

I did look into the m50's at one point but i heard there were better picks for the type of music i listen to, such as the ultrasones. That and If at all possible i want to minimize the bulkiness. I was using some DT 770 pros for my portable headphones and they were a pain, although sounded awesome. And although i understand the m50's fold up they still seem like they would be a pain to carry around with all my books and stuff.

Aug 30, 2012 at 7:27 PM Post #18,584 of 29,490
Quote:
OK. As some of you might or might not know, I bought a pair of Grado SR80i.  Istill don't have the phones in my hands (or my head) since they're stationed at the custom waiting for the whatever proccess imported items go through.

Anyways, I started to read some people say that Grado headphones will make los quality MP3 sound even worse and good quality MP3 sound even better... and I then realised I have a mix in my iPod that goes from 128Kbps to 320 Kbps this caused because some of them are rips I made from my own albums while others are .... uhm... from someone else library (My Amon Amarth albums have a very crappy quality)

My question is. What's the minimum quality an mp3 should have?
A friend of mine has most (if not all) of my music (we share the same taste) and he can give me a backup of all his MP3 but ... what's the point if his mp3 are low quality?

You may get an answer here, but this is a question that belongs in the Sound Science section of the forum.

Aug 30, 2012 at 11:03 PM Post #18,585 of 29,490
Quote:

Any other suggestions, or should I just go for the AD700? Like I said, if you have heard the HD408 and could compare those, it'd be enough for me to decide. If the bass is at least like that, it's enough for me.

I have not heard the HD408, but I have owned the AD700 for a while. The AD700 has less bass than the Philips SHL 5605 (Cityscape Downtown), which I guess are the most bass-heavy can that I own. The AD700 has a little less bass than the Ortofon O-One.  The AD700 has more bass than the Fostex T50RP.  You can hear the opening organ note of Also Sprach Zarathustra (32.7Hz, according to the liner notes of the CD Mercury Living Stereo I have just listened to) with them.  The AD700 has musical and powerful bass, but it is not resonant, and this, I think, leads people to believe that they do not have much bass.  In reality, their bass is excellent for the kind of music I prefer (classical, West African, jazz, blues, including electric blues), but I suspect they would not be the best choice for the kind of electronic music you mention.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back