++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Aug 16, 2012 at 10:58 AM Post #18,031 of 29,490
ok, iv decided that the dt 770s are a jump in the deep end (im still getting the dtx 101s though) and im looking for other, cheaper headphones to pair with the jds cmoy amp im going to get. the amp comes with a base booster but as bixby explained to me (many thanks), this will likely boost the mids and i wont hear the lower or higher frequencys, so im looking for cans with a good base range to be amplified without the base boost and still have a prominent wide ranged base (did i get that right? i still dont quite understand how amps work), iv been looking at the m aduio q40 but im not sure this is the right choise... maybe the Audio Technica es7 or M50? Sony MDR-XB700 Extra Bass? because of "charger 35" two posts below im also now looking at V-moda Crossfade LP...

this is for home use only, listening to electronical music (mostly drum and bass and dubstep) and they must be closed back, i want minimal sound leakage

i should point out that im a total newbie. the only headphones i own are jvc in ear headphones that cost less than 30 dollars

Aug 16, 2012 at 11:22 AM Post #18,032 of 29,490
A clash of Neutrality... 

Brainwavz HM5 vs Sony MDR ZX700 vs Shure SRH 440

they all are considerably neutral headphones and roughly in the same price bracket.. Has anyone ever compared them? which one is a better value for what they worth? looking for a neutral sounding cans. tried the SRH440 it's nice sounding, nice energy, and dry.. but never heard of the other two...

cheers,

Aug 16, 2012 at 1:49 PM Post #18,033 of 29,490
I am in college and looking to upgrade my current headphones. I want something with great overall sound quality but with an emphasis on the bass. I listen mostly to hip/hop, rap, and rock. I need something durable and somewhat stylish, but portability doesn't matter. I have done significant research and have narrowed it down to several companies. Here is what I am considering:

Audio Technica Ath-m50
Ultrasone hfi 580 or 780
Ultrasone pro 550
Ultrasone DJ 1 Pro
V-moda Crossfade M-80 or Crossfade LP

Any recommendations or comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for looking.

Aug 16, 2012 at 2:18 PM Post #18,034 of 29,490
Hi to everyone! I had two pairs of headphones Pioneer SE-MJ5 (broken by shoulder because of bad plastic) and Audio-Technica ES7 (thin cable is dead). So I came to this forum for hints and reviews. I read some and thinking about some models to buy: AiAiAi TMA-1, V-Moda M-80 (maybe I should wait for V-Moda M-100). Audio-Technica ATH-M50, Sennheiser HD 25-1 II or Pioneer HDJ-2000. I want indestructible on-go headphones with good all genres sound quality at least better than in my previous headphones, my money limit 400 dollars (maybe I don't know some good headphones).

Aug 16, 2012 at 4:12 PM Post #18,037 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey!! For the singaporeans!! Im currently in singapore for 3 days. Was wondering if there r any spots an audiophile should visit! If anyone can give me some locations and how to reach those places by train or walking plz tell meeee
smily_headphones1.gif

There is Jaben Audio.  It is pretty much right across from the courthouse.

Aug 16, 2012 at 4:32 PM Post #18,038 of 29,490
so, nice i missed this little thread. let me post my experience and what ive come up with and what i now own thanks to the advice from this forum and what i think of what i now own as well :wink: 

first off all, ive picked up 3 total headsets,

AKG K550
Audio Technica ATH-M50s/LE 
focal spirt one (dud's, came defective)

the M50's are what sonic has agreed to send me for the focal's (+ cash difference) it was better than eating the 10% stocking fee which was bs since it was DOA but this aside, i havde those M50's coming tomorrow. 

so, i had those coming i was sitll researching others i might like better if i decide to than return the M50's to sonic since that will get around their stocking fee since the m50's will be sealed if i send them right back :p ahaha technicalitys XD i didn intend to buy another set but i wasn't happy accepting second pick, so i did more research. found these 550's compared to the dennon D2000's which were a set i had also considered. the 550's how EVER, were in stock in the only best by with in 300 miles of me apparently so that worked out nicley. i found them in stock and imedlaty ran to listen to them and fell in love so i picked them up for 318 taxed tagged and out the door. a little marked up, but most of that is tax, the mark up from standard going rate was only like 20$ well worth saving the wait to me. 

the sound on these can be better descibed by this gentleman, which so far ive pretty much agreed with everything he had to say. 

the M50's are also a great set but ive yet to hear them but from what i expect..they'll sound good. you can hear a good review here on those - 

if your wondering yes, i do like his reviews. their very informed and he examins most the areas i worry about, i would suggest his reviews over any other reviewer ive found my self, at leas tto get a pretty good idea fo what a headphone might sound but he does tend to get into some real detail on most reviews. 

Aug 16, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #18,039 of 29,490
Hi everyone!
I am searching for headphones, to be fair my first headphones.

What i would use them for: First of all Music from my (iphone 4) i will get also Fiio E11 amp (or other Ex) to get better quality. Second most important place where i will be using them is park, cafe, outside sitting and reading, yes, i love to listen to something while i am reading. and the last but not the least Traveling, i fly allot and most of the time i listen to music. Also films from my laptop. 

Music type: Rap, Hip-hop, Classic, Rock, electronic. Mostly i listen to the rap but often i do listen to chill out electronic music, for example when i am reading. 

Price: Under 300$

What is important about headphones: In my ears i want just music no extraneous sounds, i dont want to annoy people around me. this will be weird one, but i want cable from one side. The headphones must be comfortable to wear for hours. Decent made. 

Sound: I love Bass, bass is amazing! But too much bass is disgusting, i don`t want very hard bassy heads. But the bass must feel. I am searching for clear and crisp sound but at the same time not too cold, i don`t know how to describe, but i want to feel that the music is not flat. I love when you can hear distance between instrumental sounds and vocal etc. It is like to watch film in 3D. 

What i was looking at:
ATH M50 - i did not liked how they push my head.
Soundmagic HP 100 - really loved them they are very comfortable, the sound was a question because without AMP they sound so-so
ATH A700 - i can`t find where to try them, what is our opinion comparing them to others?
AKG A 550 - i have not tried those too. 

Are there any other similar headphones i should look at? What would you consider? 

Aug 16, 2012 at 6:05 PM Post #18,040 of 29,490
Hi everyone! I am searching for headphones, to be fair my first headphones.   What i would use them for: First of all Music from my (iphone 4) i will get also Fiio E11 amp (or other Ex) to get better quality. Second most important place where i will be using them is park, cafe, outside sitting and reading, yes, i love to listen to something while i am reading. and the last but not the least Traveling, i fly allot and most of the time i listen to music. Also films from my laptop.    Music type: Rap, Hip-hop, Classic, Rock, electronic. Mostly i listen to the rap but often i do listen to chill out electronic music, for example when i am reading.    Price: Under 300$   What is important about headphones: In my ears i want just music no extraneous sounds, i dont want to annoy people around me. this will be weird one, but i want cable from one side. The headphones must be comfortable to wear for hours. Decent made.    Sound: I love Bass, bass is amazing! But too much bass is disgusting, i don`t want very hard bassy heads. But the bass must feel. I am searching for clear and crisp sound but at the same time not too cold, i don`t know how to describe, but i want to feel that the music is not flat. I love when you can hear distance between instrumental sounds and vocal etc. It is like to watch film in 3D.    What i was looking at: ATH M50 - i did not liked how they push my head. Soundmagic HP 100 - really loved them they are very comfortable, the sound was a question because without AMP they sound so-so ATH A700 - i can`t find where to try them, what is our opinion comparing them to others? AKG A 550 - i have not tried those too.    Are there any other similar headphones i should look at? What would you consider? 

I think I know a good headphone for you the B&W p5 the p3 is also an option 100$ cheaper much smaller but both are awesome quality and their great for this kinda use. They are super Confy too.

I'm new to headphones too I just picked up my first quality pair. A set of akg k550s not a good option for you their large. I think the p5 will surprise you check out a YouTube review best buy carrys them I just listened to them in their media area with all the fancy stuff lol

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Aug 16, 2012 at 7:28 PM Post #18,043 of 29,490
Quote:
I am in college and looking to upgrade my current headphones. I want something with great overall sound quality but with an emphasis on the bass. I listen mostly to hip/hop, rap, and rock. I need something durable and somewhat stylish, but portability doesn't matter. I have done significant research and have narrowed it down to several companies. Here is what I am considering:

Audio Technica Ath-m50
Ultrasone hfi 580 or 780
Ultrasone pro 550
Ultrasone DJ 1 Pro

Any recommendations or comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for looking.

I recommend the Vmoda M80. Looks great, balanced sound with a slight bump in the bass. Super durable; they feel indestructible. They are also one of teh more stylish looking phones that sound good.

Aug 16, 2012 at 10:02 PM Post #18,044 of 29,490
Quote:

Audio Technica Ath-m50
Ultrasone hfi 580 or 780
Ultrasone pro 550
Ultrasone DJ 1 Pro

I recommend the Vmoda M80. Looks great, balanced sound with a slight bump in the bass. Super durable; they feel indestructible. They are also one of teh more stylish looking phones that sound good.

The m50 are built to be moniters their bass response is minimal.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back